Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu-Gi-Oh! > Whispering Of The Departed

The beginning

by BelleThePunk 0 reviews

Friends are always there

Category: Yu-Gi-Oh! - Rating: G - Genres: Humor - Characters: Yugi Mutou - Published: 2011-10-23 - Updated: 2011-10-23 - 2423 words

0Unrated
There have been a lot of changes since Pharaoh died. For one thing, I actually have friends!
After Pharaoh left, Anzu came round to visit me, to see how I was coping with the loss. We sat on my bed for hours, just talking about Pharaoh, or 'Temmy' as she fondly referred to him as. We laughed, we cried, we hugged and we became friends again. We bonded over the fact that we'd both lost someone very important to us, each in a different way. But it bought us close together, like we once had been as kids.
Months later, I was still depressed over my brother's death. My grandpa, who had near enough accepted his eldest grandson’s passing, gave me some that he hoped would take my mind off Atem. It was an Egyptian puzzle that I, and Atem, had been fascinated by ever since Grandpa had first put it on show in the living room cabinet. Grandpa had never let us near it, but now he was.
It was called The Millennium Puzzle, and Grandpa had found it in a tomb back when he used to be an archeologist in Egypt. It's one of his most precious finds.
My parents found some precious finds out there too; each other. My mum, who was 17 at time, had gone to Egypt with my grandpa 'looking for adventure', as she said. While out there, she befriended the son of another archaeologist- My dad, Kamenwati Tutankhamon. My grandpa and mum stayed out there was almost two years, before deciding that it was probably time they headed home. At finding out my mum was going back to Japan, my dad immediately made plans to head there too. The whole thing is really romantic, but I haven't ever really been a fan of love stories. Pharaoh really wasn't! He used to make gagging noises whenever this story came up. He'd drop to the floor, pretending to choke on his own tongue, and wriggle around on the floor as if he was in a panic.
Anyway, dad went with them to Japan. While there, He changed his name to Kamen Yume, Yume after the Japanese word for dreams. He shouldn't have bothered changing his last name, because the year after he married my mum and took her name, becoming Kamen Moto.
Grandpa's idea of giving me the puzzle so it would take my mind off my brother actually kind of worked. Although he'd often pop up in my head, when I was trying to solve the puzzle, my mind became more focused on trying to work out which pieces belong where, giving me a little break from misery. It was thanks to the puzzle that I made some really good friends. Joey Wheeler and Honda Hiroto. They had originally been teasing me for being on my own solving the puzzles, something we both often did. After a while, I guess I must have grew on them, because they actually became kinder towards me. I couldn't help but have a hunch that they had found about Atem dying, and the reason they were being nice was because they felt sympathy. We didn't official become friends until I stuck up for them in front of the p.e teacher, when they were accused of bullying me in class. I told him that they were actually my friends, so what he had believed to be bullying had actually been friendly teasing. He didn't seem to fully believe my story, but he seemed satisfied by it. Joey and Honda had thanked me, and even invited me to hang around with them after school. Now, months later, I have my own group of friends- Joey, Honda, Miho- Honda's girlfriend, and Anzu and two more friends.

A week after Atem's death, Grandpa had called me down to the game shop, announcing that there was someone wanting to see me. I had believed it to be Anzu, and had rushed down from my room and to the game shop. Anzu was nowhere in sight, but two of Atem's friends were, along with what appeared to be miniature versions of themselves.
"Hey Yug, came to see how you’re doing..." Bakura smiled gently.
I had replied politely that I was doing fine, but I had been rather shocked at Bakura. He usually had a mischievous face, but today it was smooth looking, and lightly tear stained.
"We’re sorry for your lose..." mumbled Malik, taking a deep breath.
Malik thrust a bag into my hands.
"These are some of Pharaoh's things both me and 'Kura had borrowed. We never got to, um, give them back..." Malik told me, a look of discomfort on his face.
"We thought we'd better give them to you to decide what you would want done with them..." Bakura told me kindly.
"Thanks. This means a lot" I thanked, wiping a few tears from my eyes.
"Oh, by the way, you won't know him, but this is my little brother, Ryo" Bakura said casually, pointing towards the snowy haired boy standing behind him shyly.
"And this is mine, Marik" Malik mumbled, rubbing his arm thoughtfully and nudging his head to the strange boy next to him.
"Hey. Sorry about your brother." Said the Ryo boy in almost a whisper.
He looked a lot like his brother, but his face was chubbier, his skin was white, almost as white as his hair, unlike his brother's skin which was incredibly tanned. Just like how Pharaoh's had been in the summer...
Ryo's eyes were a shimmering bright green, unlike his elder brother's evil brown eyes. His eyes were round, while Bakura's were sharp in shape. I'm sure Atem mentioned at some point that one of the reasons him and Bakura, and Malik for that matter, were so close was because they all had an Egyptian heritage. By the look of Malik and Marik, I'd say that both their parents were clearly from Egypt.
There wasn't much difference between them really, only that Malik clearly looked older than his little brother, and their hair was different. Malik’s was thinker and very messy, while Malik’s was fine and tidy, well tidier then his elder brother’s hair anyway…
Ryo and Bakura, on the other hand were clearly not born in Japan, due to them both having a very strong accent that I didn't totally recognize.
"You'll probably see us at school soon, Yugi" Smiled Marik "We'll both be joining the school soon.."
"What do you meaning joining? If you don't mind me asking, but why weren't you there before?" I asked shyly, trying not to make eye contact for too long.
"We both went to a different school for a while..." replied Ryo
"We sort of had a... rough time there, so our parents took us out!"
"Should of sent you to the same school of us in the first place! If I had those little arse holes in front of me right now I'd slice up, put them in the oven at gas mark 6 for 20 minutes and eat them for my dinner with gravy and sauce!" said a vengeful Bakura, crossing his arms and licking his lips.
"Don't forget to make a few bottles full of their blood first!" cackled Malik
"Ah, yes! Can't have roast arse hole without a spot of fresh blood red wine..." Bakura unwrapped his arms and began to rub his hands together slowly, licking his lips like crazy, his eyes rolling slowly into the back of his head.
I saw a terrified, yet disturbed look flash across Ryo's pale face.
"It was nice for you to come see me and drops this off but, I don't to be rude or anything, so I hope I don’t offend you, but... I kind need some alone time." I said as politely as I could, shuffling my feet and fiddling with my shirt sleeves.
The four boys nodded, before they said there fare wells and left the Game Shop. I bit my lip. Just watching Bakura get all protect of his little brother broke my heart. Pharaoh used to be like that, maybe less gruesome in his plans of revenged, but he always stuck up for me. There was no one to stick up for me now...
So, that is how I first met Ryo and Marik. When I finally went back to school, they hadn't started yet. By the time I had befriended Joey and Honda, they turned up at school, all neat, fresh and new.
"Hey Yugi! It's nice to see you again!" Smiled Ryo on his first say.
"Hello Ryo! I've been waiting for you to join! You sure did take your time!" I beamed at him, as he came over to my desk.
"There were a few things that needed sorting out before we got here" He told me, sitting on the edge of my desk. A piece of hair freed itself and swung in front of his face. At close look, I realised that it wasn’t exactly white, but an incredibly light bluey-purple.
"Where's Marik? Isn't he starting school today?" I asked.
"Oh he is! He's just with his brother at the minute" reassured Ryo.
"Hey Yug! How's it going, man?" said a cheery Joey, bouncing over to us.
"It's going good, Joey. This is my friend, Ryo. He just started school today" I said pointing at the boy.
"Hi..." He said shyly, giving Joey an awkward half smile.
"Hey man! Must be weird being the new kid" Laughed Joey.
"A bit, but it's alright, I've got my brother in year 11." Ryo told him casually, leaning back on my desk and balancing on the palm of one hand. He swung his legs freely.
"Oh, yeah! How is Bakura?" I asked, almost forgetting he even had a brother.
The word brother made me feel ill as Pharaoh popped into my head, smiling away, ps3 controller in hand, his long blonde fringe covering one eye...
"Your brother is Bakura?! As In Yami Bakura?" Asked a wide eyed Joey.
"Yep. Unfortunately!" Laughed Ryo happily.
"Woah, no offence man, by he's one scary dude!" Joey said in alarm.
"No worries! I live with him- he freaks me out every day!" sighed Ryo, shaking his head.
"I feel for ya!" Joey laughed back.

Marik soon arrived, and Joey welcomed him with open arms just like he had with Ryo. I was really happy then everyone seemed to love Ryo and Marik, it would have been awkward is they hadn't...
So I guess, even without my big brother, life isn’t all that bad! I have new friends that love and understand me, and I know that Atem will always be with me.
Without Atem around, everything seems weird. It's painfully strange to know that I'm going to go home and NOT have to listen to the sound effects of some PS3 game, or Atem telling mum and grandpa about how he 'slayed this kid' at a card game or something.
“Anyway so I’m walking down the hall minding my own business, when suddenly, my whole path is blocked by this gang of girls! Guess who was in the middle of them? Duke Devlin! Sucking up all the attention, I mean, who the hell does he think he is?!” Complained Joey as we all walked to school one day.
“He thinks he’s Duke Devlin! ‘The sexiest thing alive’” groaned Ryo
“Malik has him over after school a lot, and from what I’ve seen- he can’t stop looking in the mirror!” whined Marik.
“Ok, so can we all agree that Duke is annoying as hell and a complete ass?”
“I don’t think he is, Joey. Pharaoh used to have him over a lot when he was alive, and sure Duke is obsessed with himself but he’s really nice…” I explained, gazing up at my friends wide eyed.
They remained silent, unsure of what to say, or even if they should speak, because I mentioned Atem. They all knew that it was getting close to his death date, and from what I had overheard they were really worried about me.
I gave them a quick smile, which seemed to loosen them up.
“Okay, maybe not an ass, but annoying right?” Joey carried on, trying to release some of the tension.
“Yes!” chorused Ryo, Marik and Honda.
“I think he’s really nice… and cute…” Sighed Miho, a dreamy expression on her face. She heaved a large sigh “… Duke”
“MIHO!” yelled Honda in alarm “I thought I was your love? And yet you love Duke?” He rambled, getting on his knees in front of her and clinging on to her school skirt.
“Honda, man! Stop being a fury!” tittered Joey
“Stop getting jealous, Honda! Miho just think he’s good looking” said an annoyed Miho, flapping him away.
“Better looking than me?” Asked Honda, looking up at her as if she was Aphrodite herself…
Miho groaned and pushed Honda away fiercely, before walking a head.
“Young love…” giggled Anzu fondly as we all rushed off to catch up with her.
“By the way, since it’s Friday, how about we camp out in the park tonight?” offered Joey, running his fingers through his hair and smirking.
“That’s a great idea, Joey!” I beamed at him.
“Miho can’t go Miho think…” Miho said, turning around to us before carrying on walking ahead. “But that’s okay, Miho doesn’t like camp outs…”
“I’ll go! It sounds awesome!” smiled Anzu
“I don’t think I’m doing anything…” recalled Marik, thinking hard to see if there were any plans he’d forgotten.
“As long as I’ll be home for 12 the next day, I can go” shrugged Ryo
Everyone, other them Miho, agreed to go happily. We headed to school making plans for that night, except Miho and Honda who walked ahead holding hands. I guess they had forgiven each other about the Duke Devlin thing.
School rushed by, as seemed to do a lot lately, and soon I was back at home watching Ao No Exorcist on television. I kept looking at the clock. 3:30… 3:41…. 3: 43… 3:50….
I didn’t have to leave until 7, or at least until Marik and Anzu knocked on my door. I couldn’t wait! I’d never camped out with friends before. My dad took me and Pharaoh camping when I was about 7, Pharaoh 9, just before he headed off on a long business trip. He never really has got off that business trip.
Sign up to rate and review this story