Categories > Comics > X-Men > Champions of War

Chapter 9

by Quik_sylver 0 reviews

Category: X-Men - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance,Sci-fi - Characters: Beast,Cyclops,Jean Grey,Professor Xavier,Wolverine - Published: 2011-10-30 - Updated: 2011-10-31 - 2155 words - Complete

0Unrated
First of all, I know that Cable sort of died in the 'Second Coming' storyline. Here's my loophole – he's a time traveller. He comes from another time where he's still alive and well (that's why they had to look for Cable first and call that specific Cable to help them). AND ALL THE OTHER X-MEN GET IT. It's not unusual for them because they get it.

Apart from this time travel headache, I'm working on creating my own Newton Ball set… That's why I haven't updating as much – sorry again.

By the way, thanks for the recent comments! I'd love to hear more from you guys! I'm still thinking if I should wrap this story up or if I should just continue posting new arcs so that the story just goes on… Hmm… Decisions….Decisions… What do you think?

CHAPTER 9

Scott drove to a peak overlooking Utopia. It wasn't easy getting there, but going there was worth it. The view was amazing. It was where he'd go to think if things back home got too stressful. The two of them sat on the hood of Scott's car and they shared a moment of silence.

"….So…. Are you ready to talk now?"

"Hmm…?" Jean felt the breeze through her hair. Almost."

This sight of Jean made Scott smile. It's been so long since he had seen Jean in this light. Everything was peaceful – as it should be.

"Alright. I'm ready."

"And..?"

"And I want to talk about our relationship, obviously. That and other stuff."

"Ah." Scott scratched the back of his head. "I figured as much. What's up?"

"Tell me about Emma."

"What?"

"Emma – I want to know what she's like through your perspective… I always thought of her as cold… Is she?"

"Well, she is in some ways. She's strong. I like that she's so focused… She helped me grow stronger, too. I think you'd be good friends if you bypass the whole – uh… 'situation.'"

"Hmph. I'll have to take your word for that." Jean remarked. "Did she treat you well?"

"Yes. She did." He smiled. "It was different with her… Can I ask you something, too?"

"Of course."

"Um. I wanted to tell you something. But first, talk to me about Logan."

"Logan? That's a random topic."

"No. No it's not. You know where I'm going with this, Jean. You know about me and Emma. It's only fair I know what even went down with you and Logan."

"What even gave you the idea to ask me this now?"

"He kept a lock of your hair, Jean."

"How did he get that?" Jean wondered.

"You tell me."

"We…We kissed. A few times. It was when I was so confused about us… I went to him to talk…And – and I shouldn't have… There was just an attraction… I couldn't help it… I never loved him, Scott."

"Really? Could've fooled me…." Scott stopped himself. "Sorry – that was uncalled for."

"It's ok. I understand. With what happened between us, let's just say I can relate to what you are feeling now.."

"Jean?"

"What?"

"I'm sorry."

Jean looked at him. She gave him a questioning look.

"I'm sorry for what I did to you. I truly am." Scott heavily sighed. "You didn't deserve any of the hurt I caused you. You've stood by me all the time… I'm so sorry."

"Hey…" Jean put her hand on his cheek. "It's alright. The past is the past. And Scott?"

"Yeah?"

"I've already forgiven you – ages ago…"

Scott gave a sigh of relief. "Thanks, Jean."

"You're welcome, stud."

Scott laughed at that comment. He looked at her and ran a hand through her red hair. "So, wanna head back?"

"We should." She took his hand and kissed it.

Scott got up and led Jean to the car door, holding her hand the whole time. He opened the door for her and got in the car as well. They headed home. They spent the car ride home talking and laughing, rekindling their romance. When they got back, they were greeted with a surprise.

"Mom! Dad!"

"Nathan?" Jean ran up to him and gave him a hug. "How are you?"

"I should ask you the same question, Jean. It's great to see you again!" Nathan replied. "Hey, dad. Wanted to see me?"

"I sure did. C'mere!" Scott embraced his son.

"C'mon. Let's get to it."

"Jean, could you call everyone in for a meeting?"

"No problem, Slim."

"Son, I need to talk to you for a moment first."

"Do I need to be there?" Jean asked.

"Yes. This is a family matter – it's best that you do."

Soon, the rest of the X-Men joined them in the briefing room. Scott walks in with Nathan and Jean. "Alright, team. You might be wondering why I called you all for a meeting. It's because Cable's here."

"We're kinda up to date on that news, Summers."

"Shut up, Logan. I'm talking."

Logan gave him a nasty look.

"We've been tracking Phoenix. We have been since our first encounter with Sophie. Now, I think I have a way of stopping it. I've talked to Cable and we've decided to use him as bait to lure Phoenix away from Sophie."

"What for? She's doing a pretty good job already," questioned Angel.

"It's because Sophie was dead. I know how it feels to be her right now. She's probably searching." Jean replied.

"For what?"

"Answers. With me, I was trying to find myself amidst the chaos. I don't know about Sophie, but it seems to me that she preoccupied with something. Maybe it's something that they have in common. That explains why she hasn't been wreaking havoc somewhere."

"If she and Phoenix are looking for the same thing, then that's a problem. Phoenix is dangerous. If they find what they're looking for, who knows what will happen. Plus, we don't even know what that common ground for Sophie and Phoenix actually is." Cyclops added. "So we have to assume it's trouble."

"So, where does Cable come in?"

"Good question. It's because he'll be the next host for Phoenix."

"What? Are you crazy! He'll die!" Kitty had another thought that she just kept to herself. 'Again…'

"Maybe. But he's right." Cable interrupted. "If you think about it, I could benefit from Phoenix. I am infected with the techno-organic virus, remember? If I take in Phoenix, then I can have the best chance of being cured."

"That still doesn't solve anything. Phoenix still remains!"

"It won't be for long. At least, not in your present. I have to go back to my time at some point. My present situation could benefit with proper help. The future isn't a good sight, people. If I take Phoenix there, I might have a fighting chance to make things right. I might have a chance at using the Phoenix force to improve the future."

"That…That sort of makes sense." Kitty commented.

There was a moment of silence. It was enough time for the team to make a decision.

"Ok. We're in." Logan said.

"Good. We leave first thing in the morning. I want us all prepared for what's to come, agreed?"

"Agreed."

The rest of the team left the room, leaving Scott and Jean alone again. Cable even gave them a reassuring smile before he left.

"I guess that's that. Are you sure you can handle this, Red?"

"Are you kidding me? I've died and came back numerous times already. I'm pretty sure I can take this mission. How about you?"

"Well, I've only died once. But seeing as I've got a great team with me, I know I can."

"Well, that's good to – WAIT. You died!"

"Yeah, I did. It was for the sake of a mission…All's good."

"What? How?"

"Oh, I got into a spacecraft and distracted a team of evil aliens so that the others can escape. I got hit and died as I floated into space." Scott couldn't help make a joke. "Didn't you see me?"

"Are you telling me the truth? Is this real?"

"C'mon, we have a rapport. You can take a look if you want."

"I might just…" Jean concentrated and took a look around Scott's thoughts.

"So, what do you see?"

"I…I see you. You're opening fire on a spaceship. Then…you got hit."

"Go on."

"Oh my, I see you. You're losing – losing life…I see something about the professor… about a bright future…" Jean shed a tear when she saw what was next. "I see me."

"That's right. I did see you. It's from – "

"—from when we first met!"

"Yeah… That's the one."

"Wait, I'm also getting something else… All those times you thought of me…I feel it."

"Okay, that's enough."

"Why?" Jean lost her focus. "It's sweet that you still think of me… that they are fond memories of me…"

"I know. It's just that I don't want to go through them again just yet. Those were hard times, Jean. Maybe some other time."

"Alright. I'll see you tomorrow." Jean was about to leave but was stopped by Scott, who grabbed her by the arm.

"Hold on just a minute." He pulled her close to him and he leaned in for a kiss. Jean happily complied with him and they kissed. Scott reluctantly pulled away and looked into Jean's eyes. "Sweet dreams, Jean."

"After that, I'm sure. Goodnight, Scott." She smiled as she walked away. Scott mirrored her smile and watched as she left. As soon as Jean got out of the room, someone was there to see her.

"Enjoy your date with, Summers?"

"It wasn't a date, Logan." Jean gave him a mean look. "And yes. I did have fun."

"Don't you find it weird that you and 'im are getting together again, after all that's happened?"

"It's complicated."

"I'm sure it is." He smirked.

"Are we still going to play this game? For how long are you going to keep this up?"

"For as long as I can, Sweetheart."

"Don't call me that."

"You see, after you died, Scott married Maddie. Then you came back and he left her for you. Then you died again at some point and Cyke decides to play house with Emma. She died, too. Now that you're back, he's here with you again…" Logan started. "Is that right or am I missing some other thing?"

"Your point being?"

"How fast can a guy move on from one dame to the other?"

Jean couldn't even answer.

"I thought so."

"Mind your own business, Logan." Jean walked away from the conversation. She didn't say goodnight to him. She just left without saying any more. She disappeared from the corridors soon after.

"Sooo…" Scott appeared. "I was in the other room…"

"I know." Logan responded. "Strikeanerve,Summers?"

"Yes." Scott replied. The red glow from his visor was getting brighter. But he was holding back for some reason.

Logan looked at him. He was surprised that Scott would even admit it.

"Since you asked a few questions, I think it's only fair that I ask some of my own. Right?"

"Shoot."

"How I feel about Jean, how does it differ from what you're apparently feeling as well?"

"What are you playing at, Summers?"

"You had a girl once, right? Is she a great girl?"

"She was."

"If she came back, would you hesitate to even go back to be with her?"

"…." Logan sighed. "No. I'd go to her in a heartbeat."

"No matter the cost?"

"Don't try getting sentimental with me here..."

"Just answer the question."

"…No matter the cost," Logan added. It's different. You had a kid, for crying out loud…"

"That's right. I did. I regret doing what I did, but that's not the point."

"Then what is it then?"

"You like Jean?"

"What do you think?"

"Well, I know that she's alive. Still, you told me that you'd go back to your first love – without question."

Logan fell silent.

"Jean's my first love, Logan."

"Then what do you call Maddie? Or Emma?" Logan still tried to pick a fight with him.

"I call my situation with Maddie: falling for my first love all over again. Whether you choose to believe it or not, Madelyne WAS Jean. And Emma… She's my guardian angel…"

"…Oh for the love of – That's pathetic."

"It's the truth. I know it's too much information or that it's too lovey-dovey for you to handle, but it is what it is."

"Just shut up before I throw up."

"I've made my feelings for Jean clear. If you want to stand in my way or choose to act upon your feelings, I don't care. You can't stop me, Logan."

"…Alright…"

"Good. I love our little chit-chats." Scott sarcastically commented as he have Logan a pat on the back. "It gives us a chance to clear things up. Now, get some sleep. I want you rested for the mission tomorrow."
Sign up to rate and review this story