Categories > Books > Harry Potter

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Disclaimer; I own nada, zip, zilch, nat'ing, zero. There is a void of anything I own here. I have no claims. This is officially a Link-owned-stuff-less zone. Anything you see is not mine. If you had a candy for everything I own in here, you'd be sad.

The song 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' was written by Green Day, not me.


Summer has come and passed.
The innocent can never last.
Wake me up when September ends.

-----

"When I call your name, you will put on the hat and sit on the stool to be sorted"

/Merlin/, Harry breathed to himself, I can't believe it's been seven years since I was one of those scared little first years up there. It's been a long time...
-----
Like my fathers come to pass,
seven years has gone so fast.
Wake me up when September ends.

-----

Yea, a lot's changed in that time.
Harry could still remember like it was yesterday his own ride on the Hogwarts Express, meeting Ron, Hermione, Neville and the twins, his own sorting. It seemed like forever, though not that long at all.

Harry graduated from Hogwarts just last June with the second highest N.E.W.T. scores of the year, second of course, to Hermione Granger, one of Harry's best friends. His scores were definitely high enough to enter Auror training, if he still wanted to. But a lot had changed since fifth year.

Everything was normal, as normal as it could be for Harry until just after Graduation. Harry had immediately left the Dursley house and had moved in to Number 12 Grimmauld Place, Sirius's house, along with Ron, Fred and George.

The Order was still using the house for meetings, and the four of them had become members. One particular meeting, about three weeks into June, was when they all got the news of an attack on Diagon Alley. They were just in the middle of hearing a report from Snape on Voldemort's activities when he felt the call on his mark.

With a nod to Professor Dumbledore, he walked out of the house and Apparated to Voldemort's side. From what Harry learned later, Voldemort discovered Snape's position as spy for the Order of the Phoenix, and tried to kill him for it. Painfully. Luckily, due mainly to Voldemort's arrogance, Snape was able to escape and return to the meeting to let the Order know of the attack.

-----
Here comes the rain again
falling from the stars.
Drenched in my pain again,
becoming who we are.
-----


The fight that ensued was actually uneventful, at least compared to the 'Battle of the Ages' that the headlines proclaimed. Basically, Harry did destroy Voldemort, but not before he held Dumbledore in the Cruciatus Curse for nearly five minutes. Considering that he was over one hundred and fifty years old, it was understandable that he didn't make it. Unfortunately, though, for Voldemort, Harry wasn't in the mood for understanding, and the blind rage that followed made him wish he'd never gone after the poor kid in the first place.

-----
As my memory rests
but never forgets what I lost.
Wake me up when September ends.
-----

Harry turned his attention back to the sorting. Professor Flitwick, as Deputy Headmaster, was calling out names of the children to be sorted. Harry knew he should be paying attention, but it was too difficult to concentrate. Harry was the new Head of Gryffindor house, as Professor McGonnagall had become the Headmistress. It was a rare thing, for a new teacher to become a Head of House, but for Harry, who had proven himself Gryffindor time and time again, it wasn't much of a stretch.

He had accepted the post of Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts as a last favor to Dumbledore. He had offered Harry the position almost as soon as he'd graduated, and Harry said he'd consider it, but never had given him a definite answer.

-----
Summer has come and passed.
The innocent can never last.
Wake me up when September ends.
-----

Harry sat watching the sorting from the staff table. He looked at all the children with envy, wishing he could be there with them. Of course it couldn't happen. They were so innocent, and he wished they could stay that way. But of course that couldn't happen, either. The innocent can never last. Merlin, how true that is, Harry thought.

-----
Ring out the bells again,
like we did when spring began.
Wake me up when September ends.
-----

Here comes the rain again,
falling from the stars.
Drenched in my pain again,
becoming who we are.
-----

Twenty years. Forever. Just yesterday.
Harry couldn't tell which one was closer to the truth.

He was sitting at the staff table, yet again, for yet another sorting. It had been thirteen years since he had become part of the staff at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Thirteen years, and it was still no different.

-----
As my memory rests,
but never forgets what I lost.
Wake me up when September ends.
-----


This time, though, it was different. The Order of the Phoenix was now back together. There had been reports of a new Dark Lord, trying for the same aims as Voldemort. More deaths and disappearances. A new war. The same old problems.

-----
Summer has come and passed.
The innocent can never last.
Wake me up when September ends.
-----


He knew it would happen, it always did, it was just a matter of when. Thirteen years of peace. Not long enough. But still, he didn't get to make these decisions. So he would have to fight again, as would everyone else. The innocent can never last. Why, though? Why does it always have to be like that?

-----
Like my father's come to pass,
twenty years has gone so fast.
Wake me up when September ends.
-----

Merlin, I hate September!

A/N; Well, that was my first dramatic style fic. Also my first song-fic. I wasn't sure I'd ever write it, but the idea just wouldn't leave.
Sign up to rate and review this story