Categories > Anime/Manga > Dragon Ball Z > Second Chances for Bardock's Sons

Unidentified Flying Monkeys

by tryniamerin 0 reviews

A week after Goku and Chichi have been married, Bulma and her father hear reports of strange lights in the sky, and reports of the Red Ribbon army. Also, a female Saiyan has been studying earth cul...

Category: Dragon Ball Z - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi - Characters: Bulma, Chichi, Goku, Piccolo, Other - Warnings: [?] [V] - Published: 2006-06-15 - Updated: 2006-06-15 - 6406 words

0Unrated
: I don't own Dragon Ball Z or Full metal alchemist. Funimation brings us these master works of anime on DVD. Toriyama created DBZ, and Full Metal Alchemist belongs to its own creators. I can only claim responsibility for the plot and the character of the Mantissans, Androni and Cybernam. As well as Atomique, Parsnip, Fermi, Bohr, Merlot, Cabernet and other fan characters here. Colonel White and Lieutenant Green of the Red Ribbon Army here are a tip of the hat to characters of the same name in the supermarionation series Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, another series I don't own. I don't' get paid for this. It means no harm to any of the series and is for entertainment only. The only pay I get is your reviews so please keep them coming! And my thanks to those who have already reviewed! Kudos and hugs to you!

Unidentified Flying Monkeys
***

Stars peeked out of the gathering ultramarine shading light sherbet green to the horizon. A yellow disc lay to the right of the newly set departing rays of the sun, while a distinctly red pinprick of light seemed a few degrees behind it. Glancing up from the improvised campsite the observer marveled at the strength of her newly acquired eyesight.
"Venus, Mars, and Jupiter," she mumbled, dropping bits of wood in a pit of circular rocks. A huge dinosaur carcass had been all but picked clean, evident by the bleached white ribs curving up in semicircles to cast odd shadows on the cleared earth. At the rim of the huge crater that was half filled in, the spiky haired creature turned back to her campsite. Mumbling she picked up the bleeping device set to one side with the pile of dark armor.
"Great, as I feared. The inhabitants have seen me," she thought. Fortunately the battle powers were mere puny 5s on the horizon. The being once known as Atomique raised her hand and generated a glowing ball of plasma. With a giggle she hurled it up from the hill, to glow strangely in the gathering gloom. Slowly it whirled and zipped over the nearest field, forming a vortex.
"This is how I scare the locals," she thought, directing it mentally to bob and weave into separate spheres. Within minutes it pushed down the crops with the force of its power into a flattened disc worthy of a crop circle artist.
The dazzled farmers gasped, rushing back to pay more attention to the newly made crop circle next to the last one. Day after day the being once known as Atomique amused herself scaring off the local farmers with a wide array of strange markings. Giggling, Atomique had just enough time to levitate silently over the nearest wheat field. With cold ki she pushed down against the spires, forcing them aside to bend at the stalks by exploding the water 'nodes' in them. Back and forth she whizzed, generating the largest 'crop' marking she had thought. It amused her to no end, trying to think of ways to somehow 'warn' the humans to stay back without killing them.
For a week after her first landing she had silently observed the broadcasts from all over the planet in various languages. She determined through night flights and extended day flights out of radar detection that she was near North City. On the opposite side of Earth from where Goku must live. Lately she had not been able to pick up many traces with her scouter save two VERY powerful ones that moved slowly. Soberly they were only a third of her power level. Sighing, she thought hard about how she wanted to approach this.
Indefinitely she could keep the humans away from her with glowing balls of plasma, making them think there were little grey men. Other crop circles deterred them from her pod's landing site. She had already vaporized chunks of siderite to simulate meteors when a local group of scientists came to examine her pod's crater. They deemed it a simple chondritic meteorite and took the fragments away. To deter radar detection she used her plasma balls, something called Atomic Flux she had learned through modifying her alchemy powers and Saiyan ki.
"I don't want them to find me. If they don't find me, I won't have to kill them," she reasoned.
Eventually she would have to 'purge' on some level. The time scale of this world intrigued her, for she saw the huge tanks with R R in two sideways triangles moving from one train of mountains northwards. Red Ribbon army, she determined. Another set of armored vehicles she saw on the first day here, near North City was marked with 'imperial' markings indicating the local King, named Gurames. The country she had landed in was a simple farming community, where science was limited to improving agriculture. Experts to examine the 'UFOS' came from the University, but most of them were into the pseudo science of UFOlogy. Using tricks from her observations of their culture made it easy to bombard them with misleading evidence.
"Do I find some way of saving them? How can I possibly? They are human like I once was. But I'm the alien monster sent to destroy them. Yet I don't WANT to die," she thought.
A loud woman's scream reached her. One of the local farmers nearby, with a battle power of 15 raised his rifle. Atomique discerned them after peering through her scouter. Saiyan night vision saw the shouts of two marauders, bearing Red Ribbon markings.
"Stand aside! We're taking this farm for our leader!" shouted the epaulette dressed man in a long black coat.
"But you were destroyed! The Red Ribbon army was Destroyed three years ago!" gasped the obese farmer in his blue overalls and a pair of slippers. Atomique had christened him Farmer Brown, who had a middle aged and attractive blonde wife. Glaring from behind thick glasses he raised his rifle to cover the men spilling out of the armored land rovers.
"The rumors of our demise were GREATLY exaggerated, Mister Brown. If you willingly give over your farm we wont' kill you. Colonel White requires foodstuffs for my men. We haven't eaten proper food for days."
"Where will we LIVE?" asked Farmer Brown.
"That's your problem. And if you happen to tell the King we're here, that's the entire better that he gets the message we're not completely beaten! Setback but not beaten!" laughed Colonel White.
"Monsters!" he snapped.
"Step aside or die," said White.
"Never," said Farmer Brown. "You get the HFIL out of here! Before I blow enough holes in you that Swiss cheese wouldn't begin to describe it!"
"I strongly urge you to look behind you," said White. He motioned, and one of the soldiers leapt out of hiding, grabbing the farmer's wife and jerking her back. He put a knife at her throat.
"Kuso!" the farmer dropped his gun.
"Stupid weakling. I don't like defiance. Give over the farm or your wife gets a new lesson in entertain..."
"Please let her go! I'll let you do whatever but let her go!" said Brown. He dropped to his knee.
"Oh, no backbone now?" White sneered. "She's a rather lovely creature. Blonde hair, middle aged. Too bad she's stuck with a fat slob like you."
"Shut up!" the woman screamed, spitting in his face. She bit down on her captor's hand, and he gasped in pain.
"Bad idea, bitch," White snapped, rubbing the spit away. He raised his hand and slapped her hard.
"Coward," said Brown, struggling to his feet. White punched him hard in the jaw, felling him.
"Leave them alone at ONCE," growled a feminine voice. White spun his head around to see a large figure suddenly glowing in a blaze of amethyst.
"Holy CRAP what the hell are you?"
"Get away from them now, human worm, or I'll disintegrate you where you stand!" Atomique snarled, light gleaming off her green scouter lens. She hurled several spheres towards the men holding the farmer's wife. Instantly they disintegrated into nothing, and she landed unharmed in the dust.
"I don't know who you think you are, or WHAT you are, but you'd better stop now!" White stammered.
"It's... it's an ALIEN! I told you there was a UFO!" stammered one of the soldiers, Lieutenant Green.
"Shut up! There's NO such thing as aliens! I tell you it's one of King Piccolo's monsters!"
"But King Piccolo was killed!" stammered the men.
"Shut up! Identify yourself!" White snapped, his men aiming to the farmer and his wife.
"Leave now, or die. The choice is yours human. These creatures are MINE to study!" Atomique snarled, levitating towards them in purple flames that buffeted her hair about. Intentionally she increased her aura, gleaming with shimmering purple plasma to give her an eerie glow.
"I don't' care what you are, bitch. Kill her. I'm sure Dr. Gero can take you apart if you don't surrender willingly, monster," said White. He shouted, opening fire. Atomique whizzed out of the way, then caught a few of the bullets in her hands that seemed awfully slow. Hurling them back she killed each of the targets she hit instantly. Whirling spheres surrounded her, as she came between them and the farming couple.
One of the shots grazed the farmer. He landed with a gurgle atop his frightened wife. Another shot crackled off, whizzing past Atomique's cheek and slamming into the woman's forehead. She dropped under her husband, dead instantly. Growling, Atomique raised her hand, directing a beam of white ki directly at the heart of the battalion. Instantly the men were consumed in her plasma blast, charring their bodies with white hot fire. It spread from man to man, and then they all dropped in smoking remains around her.
"You... you... killed them all!" Gasped white, who alone remained alive. A wide ring of bodies lay flat and scattered around them.
"I did. And I will kill YOU if you don't get the HELL out of here NOW!" Atomique screeched, gnashing her long canines.
White whimpered, turning tail and bolting towards the land rover. Atomique snorted, shaking her head as she allowed him to leave. Soberly she turned to the bodies of the farmer and his wife. Why had she tried to save them? Sadly she started to gather up the bodies of the men she'd killed, somehow grouping them in ranks of five. To her horror when she tallied up the lines, they equaled one hundred exactly.
"Oh crap," she gasped, dropping to her knees. Atomique buried her face in her hands, sobbing violently as the Saiyan blood lust left her.
In a dead ironic twist, she had eliminated one hundred earthlings. Trying to save two who were just as insignificant. Perhaps it was the pitiful cry of the whimpering woman that drew her attention. Yet another thin cry caught her attention as well. Atomique shot towards the farmer's house. She left the bodies where they were, continuing to hear the cry. Carefully she trod through the doors of the still lit farmhouse. A television flickered, with the simple furniture arrayed around it. Through the bedroom piled high with quilts she moved, till she pinpointed the source of the noise.
In a crib a small baby howled his head off. She had forgotten the farmer and his wife had just adopted a baby. Atomique groaned, turning her face towards him. He lifted his arms, still howling for his momma and dada. "Kuso," she swallowed, not sure of what to do.
"Shh," she whispered, leaning over. Ripping off the scouter, she placed it at her armored hip. Reaching two gauntleted hands down she picked up the eight month old, who was still wailing incoherently. A small bottle of half prepared formula sat, with fresh diapers. Poking a finger under its diaper she noticed it was thankfully dry. Atomique felt small fingers dig into her hair pulling at it.
"Mamma!" the baby wailed.
"Drek, what do I do?" she caught herself mumbling in the harsh language of the creature she'd become. Now the baby was an orphan thanks to her. What did she care about these creatures that she now dwarfed with her battle power? Automatically her mothering instinct kicked in to hold the baby close and rock it, putting a blanket between it and the hard surface of her armored breast. She sat in the old rocker; giving it the bottle it was denied. Blue eyes looked up into hers with a question, trusting because she held the food.
"I could easily kill it, but I don't want to. It didn't ask for this," she thought. Maybe she could take it to the city and leave it behind at the local hospital. Maybe on this planet they did that for orphaned babies.
"Come on, little one; let's get you out of here. There's nothing for you here," she said, once she finished giving it a bottle. Atomique took the time to change its diaper and find warm baby clothes, and then held it as she gathered what remained of the babies things. These she packed into a yellow bag decorated with lambs and duckies. Stopping only to place the baby in a bassinet, she toed the front door closed and locked it with a key she found hanging in the kitchen.
Atomique held the now peaceful infant, who was pulling on her hair and making loud half syllables of speech. Sighing she rocketed off into the air, the bassinet in one hand and the baby's bag in another. The armored female Saiyan third class touched down somewhere in North City, peering about. Keeping to the shadows she followed the sirens and signs to the Orange Star Hospital.
Bewildered gasps sounded as orderlies and others backed away in fear. The imposing figure was just less than six feet, but her gleaming armor and fierce stare sent them in terror. She hissed threateningly, and then set down the bag.
"You, come here!" she shouted. "You nurse. This baby needs your attention!"
"Who... what ARE you miss?" gasped the nurse, who was regaining her wits.
"A friend," Atomique said, dropping on one knee and holding out the bassinette. "This baby I found orphaned. Its parents are dead. Courtesy of the Red Ribbon army. Does this hospital not take abandoned infants in distress?"
"You... this makes no sense, but we do, no questions asked," the nurse said, recovering her wits. She adjusted her pinned back hair, glancing at the other orderlies who had gathered at the sight of the space creature staring at them.
"Here. Take him," she said, lifting the baby out and placing him in the brave nurse's arms. "Here are his things."
"Wait, where are you going!" another male orderly shouted. "This makes no sense!"
"We don't ask questions. If she's leaving an abandoned baby you KNOW it's our policy not to ask!" hissed the nurse holding the peaceful baby. It immediately started to cry at the retreating space monkey who let her tail unfurl slightly as she retreated.
"Monkey woman!" mumbled a nearby kid. "She's got a tail!"
"No way, she looks human," mumbled someone else.
"Don't just stand there, get out of my way!" she snapped more harshly then usual. "Don't you know the Red Ribbon army's back? Forget you saw me! And be glad you're all alive!"
"Hold on there, miss... whoever or whatever you are. I can't let you go disturbing the peace," came the sharp voice of two police officers getting out of their car nearby. Seeing the gathering crowd they'd moved up to investigate.
"Officer, my apologies," said Atomique, giving a low bow. "But you've caught me at a bad time. This is not your affair. I simply returned the baby to a place where it can be cared for. Now leave me to depart in peace."
"What are you doing here... identify yourself!" the braver of the two officers stammered.
"A friend, who was once like you," she said quietly. Suddenly she blurred out of view, to appear behind the policemen.
"Hey, stop right there!" he shouted. She rocketed into the air, zipping away at a fast pace. Had she made a fatal mistake?
Soon she heard the sounds of helicopters in pursuit. Atomique mumbled, ducking her course towards the crash sight and the farm nearby. Finally after having hidden like a beast she had made a first contact with the humans of Chikyuu. A police helicopter caught sight of the smoking vehicles bearing scorched Red Ribbon army markings.
Atomique used the distraction to rocket away at top speed. She reached the shelter of the farmer's house, and then rapidly emptied the contents of their larder. She ate as quickly as she could, and then carried the rest off in her arms to the forest beyond. Fortunately the policemen were too busy gaping at the devastation around them to notice one space monkey eluding them.
***


Next morning in West City, a new day dawned bright and sunny for Capsule Corps. Within the large yellow dome at the heart of the metropolis, the family owners of the multinational corporation sat around the table eating breakfast. Most people weren't aware that the true founder and CEO of Capsule was an unassuming short lavender haired scientist who had a propensity to carry his pet kitty Scratch over his shoulders. Stubbing out his lit cigarette, he settled down behind the kitchen table. Bunny Briefs his young platinum haired wife rapidly churned out pancakes from the electric skillet nearby. Wearing a tube top, tight capris and a frilly apron, she hummed a saccharinely cheerful song along with the morning radio show.
Bunny took a chance to peek at the small photo album she was putting together while waiting for the pancakes to turn golden brown. It had been a whole week since Goku and Chichi had gotten married. The party had been a triumph for Bunny, having pulled it together at the last moment. Life had settled down considerably after the bots had cleaned up the main Capsule garden dome. She giggled looking at the picture of Goku and Chichi after the ceremony. She admired how cute Chichi looked in her gown as Goku swept her up wearing his tux. Calling Nimbus he leapt onto the golden cloud hovering like a magical carpet, and whisked her off to their honeymoon.
After flipping two more pancakes over, she poured more batter onto the skillet. Then she returned to the album, turning to a picture of the Best man and maid of honor. Bulma clung to Yamucha's arm, wearing a robin's egg blue bridal gown that came to her ankles and matching high heeled shoes. In a blue cummerbund, white tuxedo, and blue carnation boutonniere, Yamucha was beaming a winning million zenni grin to the camera. In the next photo Bulma glared at him, because his hand had wandered down towards her butt.
Another picture on the next page showed Goku drooling as Chichi held onto a large cake slicer before the enormous cake. The next picture opposite showed her thrusting a huge piece into his mouth, with icing over them both. Then a shot of Goku and Chichi wrestling in the cake as she stuffed his face and he teasingly smeared icing on her cheeks. In seconds he had eaten the whole thing with Chichi sitting on his lap in the pile of crumbs while everyone groaned. Looking a bit perturbed she had endured the stares when Goku started to lick the icing off her fingers. Yamucha had waved everyone away, saying it was time for the tossing of the bouquet.
Dark coffee steamed from the pot that she tugged off the coffeemaker. She poured three mugs set at the three places in the small breakfast nook. Scratch mewed a tired yawn, straightening up only to stretch briefly before he curled around Dr. Brief's shoulders again. Pulling out a Marlborough light, the scientist inserted it between his lips to light it again. Mrs. Briefs waved her hand, wrinkling her nose in distaste. Although she hated the fact her husband and daughter smoked, she refused to let it dampen her spirits.
"Dear you can have your cigarette AFTER we eat?" she bubbled, setting down freshly sliced cantaloupe in the center of the table, along with a huge stack of pancakes and dish of crisp bacon.
"All right dearest, for you," he sighed, stubbing out his smoke and letting her pick up the ash tray to empty and clean it. He stared at the wedding album his wife was leafing through, then sighed.
"She did catch the bouquet," said Bunny. "Do you think we'll be making her wedding plans anytime soon?"
"I don't care for that Yamucha boy," snorted Dr. Briefs.
"He's so handsome and he's so sweet and well mannered, he'd make a handsome husband for our little Princess," said Bunny.
"No comment," Dr. Briefs mumbled. "Till he gets a decent job, I reserve my approval!"
"Good morning mom, dad," Bulma Briefs yawned. The blue haired heir apparent to her father's corporation leaned over to kiss her father on the cheek, then her mother. Soon to be a college graduate Bulma then yawned immensely. She blinked azure eyes blearily in her effort to wake up. Slowly she plunked into the chair opposite her father, and picked up the fresh cup of coffee. Between two hands she rolled the cup, letting it warm her cold fingers.
"Did you have fun with your little friends the other day?" asked bunny. "Have you heard from Goku or Chichi yet?"
"I'm sure they don't wanna be bothered mum," Bulma yawned again, scratching her scalp. A pale purple robe with dark purple stars hung partly open, showing a pair of comfy sweats bearing the Orange Star High logo. Bunny slipper covered her feet, and she crossed her knees lazily sipping her coffee.
"Well I should know better," Bunny giggled. "Knowing newlyweds they'll be so wrapped up in each other and discovering the joys of good sex that they won't..."
"MOTHER!" Bulma yelped in protest, her eyes popping open. "I'm eating here!"
"That's nice dear," Dr. Briefs said, from behind the newspaper screen he'd just erected.
"Where's that young desert bandit bad boy of yours, hmm?" asked Bunny. "And when is he moving back in?"
"Mother, please, Yamucha and I are just going steady, but we're not engaged or anything!"
"I don't want you seeing that riff raff! Even though he behaved himself at the wedding, I don't want you encouraging him," Dr. Briefs said sternly.
"Dad, he's my boyfriend!" Bulma argued, drowning her pancakes in a lake of Vermont syrup. She slathered them with butter, and then cut into the stack violently.
"Soon to be EX," added Dr. Briefs. "Honestly, can't you go on a date with any of the OTHER young men who are DYING to..."
"Oh it's so romantic, you and him," sighed Mrs. Briefs.
"Well he's NOT a bandit anymore. For your info, daddy dear, he's going to be one of the BEST ball players this season!" Bulma announced.
"A WHAT?" asked Dr. Briefs.
"A ball player for the Taitans," said Bulma. "So there! He's gonna be an athlete, and you don't discourage me dating THEM."
"She has a point, dear," said Bunny, settling into her chair. She nibbled at her smaller stack of pancakes, watching her husband and daughter face off when Dr. Briefs dropped his paper to glare at them both.
"Fine. You can see him. But if that young man doesn't propose to you within the next year, he's history," Dr. Briefs frowned. "I don't want my daughter to be without a good man at her side. Even though you're the one who's going to be running this place after I'm gone, you have a public image to keep up."
"Just think of what it will mean having a young handsome baseball player on her arm? A trophy of trophies," said Bunny. "And they'll have BEAUTIFUL grand children!"
"Mom really," Bulma groaned, sinking into her chair. She set down her fork, and nibbled absently on a piece of bacon. "What if I don't get married?"
"Then you should spend your time keeping this company going," said Dr. Briefs. "Whatever you do reflects on us. If you want to see him, marry him. If you don't', then find someone who's WORTH your time. Or just keep it discrete like a good young president to be."
"President?" she blinked.
"That's right. When you graduate from college, I'm making you the Vice President, young lady. It's time that you assumed the role we think you're perfect for. You'll run this company just as well as any man," Dr. Briefs said. "I don't want this Yamucha distracting you unless he decides to propose properly."
"Fair enough, Dad," said Bulma, blinking in shock. "You REALLY are serious about me helping you run this..."
"You've matured a lot, dear. But you must stop chasing rainbows and settle down if you're going to do us proud," said Dr. Briefs. "I only have one daughter. And I wouldn't mind having a few young inventors to show the ropes to."
"OH Daddy, you really are something," Bulma sighed, shaking her head. She finished her first stack of pancakes and eagerly stabbed two more with her fork to pull onto her plate.
"I know you will make us proud whatever you do, Princess," said Mrs. Briefs. "Prince Charming or not."
Bulma almost spewed her coffee when she read the newspaper Dr. Briefs lifted up. He glanced up, seeing black splotches on the soaked print, asking, "Dear, what's wrong?"
"Gimmie that! Didn't you see that headline?" Bulma gasped.
"Can't you let me read the paper in peace, princess?" Dr. Briefs whined.
"Dear do calm down," Mrs. Briefs insisted.
"Don't tell me you didn't NOTICE this headline about the Red Ribbon army!" she wailed.
"WHAT?" Dr. Briefs gasped, looking to where she pointed. Smoothing out the coffee soaked paper he read the telltale lines.
"Red Ribbon not Defunct: 100 soldiers fried to crisp by mysterious energy," Bulma read.
"But they were destroyed by your friend Goku!" said Dr. Briefs.
"Somehow some of them survived. How's that possible, unless Yamucha was right after all, damn it!" Bulma cursed. "Shimatta, I half hoped they were joking, but WHAT were they doing and what wiped them out?"
"Maybe one of your Z fighter friends?" asked Mrs. Briefs.
"It says here the only survivors were a half dead farmer's wife, who died shortly after policemen arrived, babbling about a monster in armor who saved them," mumbled Dr. Briefs. "Strange. That doesn't sound like the Z warriors, dear."
"Wait, lemmie see. Huh, this is the same farm where they saw a big meteor crash last week, and reports of UFOS and strange crop circles... no way, this is TOO weird," Bulma blinked.
"You should talk to those Z warriors and ask them if they've seen this. Whatever caused these Red Ribbon men to die it looks like it was ki," said Dr. Briefs. Excusing himself he got up and picked up the phone, stopping only to scratch his cat under its chin.
"I'll be right back. I'm gonna call Yamucha," said Bulma, pulling her hair up.
"You know that boy's only trouble," said Mrs. Briefs. "Even if he DOES have a cute ass!"
"Mom, come on!" Bulma groaned, as she rushed out and grabbed a jacket. Shoving feet into her shoes she burst past her father on the phone with his CEO and other company members, warning them of the Red Ribbon threat. His voice babbled with questions, asking any of them if they'd seen or heard what was happening corporate wise.
Wearing a pair of jeans and a Capsule T shirt, Bulma buckled her fanny pack at her hips, filled with a box of Dynocaps. Carefully she selected one, and tossed it down. In a puff of smoke appeared her custom stratus air bike, gleaming in the sunlight.
"Crap, oh crap, this is too weird," Bulma mumbled, jumping onto her air bike. What surprised her was the whole ki thing. Gunning it she shot off towards the direction of the reported problem. She turned on the radio, listening to any news broadcasts.
For about an hour she sped across vast forests and other lands. While she could have taken a hydro jet or hovercraft, she preferred feeling the wind whipping through her blue hair. It didn't seem fair that the Z warriors could fly and she couldn't. Even Goku had learned how, even though he rode Nimbus most of the time instead.
Glancing in her rear view mirror she saw two white streaks racing out of the west towards her. They blew up into orange specks, then the figures of two familiar young men in fighting gi. It was Krillen and then Yamucha, wearing their orange fighting outfits with the Kame-sennen patches on the right breast and back. Yamucha's black hair fluttered past his face like a banner, free in the wind. "Bulma, what are you doing here?"
"You heard about it too?" she asked, glancing into his handsome face. It was twisted into a concerned frown.
"Yeah, something about a monster from outer space frying Red Ribbon guys to a crisp. Major weird. I don't like it," Krillen commented. "Master Roshi sent us guys to check up on it."
"I was headed to warn you, Bulma, but I guess you heard it already, huh?" Yamucha said sheepishly.
"Don't worry about that. Let's just figure out what's going on," she said to him.
"Tien and Chiaotzu are on their way as well," Yamucha said. "We're gonna check it out, Bulma. What has your dad said?"
"He's going nuts on the phone. If the Red Ribbon army's survived, Capsule's in deep crud," said Bulma with a glum look.
"Could this be what Baba foretold?" asked Krillen.
"That energy was ki," said Yamucha. "I sensed a huge energy that was WAY beyond anything I've felt."
"King Piccolo?" asked Krillen.
"Maybe. But that doesn't jive with what that woman said on TV about a space warrior woman," Yamucha said.
"A what?"
"You don't always watch TV first thing in the morning, huh, Bulma?" Krillen teased.
"Excuse me," Bulma snorted. "Explain that wisecrack?"
"Um nothing Bulma it's just that I saw on the morning news something weird happened. Some armored space alien landed and carried a baby to the hospital in North City last night. People said she glowed purple, and it made me wonder what the HECK it could be. It doesn't' sound like Piccolo," said Krillen.
"I saw it on TV too. They had video footage," said Yamucha. "If you turn on your bike's radio they might be showing it still. It's on every TV newscast on ZTV."
Bulma flicked on the TV screen on her air bike's console. She saw the ZTV reporters preempting and chatting about something strange. Behind the newscaster's head was a huge question mark overtop a flying saucer, and she gawked. Shivering she saw the black and white security camera footage flashed seconds later on the ZTV news brief update.
"Eyewitnesses reported seeing a figure about six feet in height, wearing black armor and carrying a baby bassinette about 2 am. Apparently the figure, who was female, spoke in English, dropping the baby off at Orange Star County Hospital. She made no threatening moves, but when approached by police, she moved at blinding speed. People are advised to remain indoors and calm while local authorities investigate..."
"That's crazy. She moved so fast it's like..." mumbled Bulma.
"Like Goku does?" asked Krillen. "Man... and that's not all..."
"Wait a minute, what's this?" asked Bulma, gasping as she saw the footage of the being turning. Something furry waved before the camera, then wrapped around the creature's waist.
"That woman... had a TAIL! And it looks JUST like Goku's did!" Krillen spluttered, looking over Bulma's shoulder as they flew along.
"That's weird! How on Earth..." Yamucha spluttered.
"Look out for that TREE!" Bulma squealed, gunning her bike at the last second.
**

All three Z warriors landed seconds later, at the sight of the farm. Smoke still hung thick in the air, smelling of charred flesh and ashes. Armored vans and tanks stood nearby. Policemen and Imperial guard soldiers milled about, taking specimens while scientists and investigators waved strange radiation meters around. Bodies were being put in black bags, zipped up over charred figures.
"Let's hide here and watch," Krillen suggested, pointing to a stand of trees on the edge of the field.
Glancing around the tree, Yamucha narrowed his eyes. He grabbed a pair of binoculars Bulma pulled out of her small utility pouch she wore like a fanny pack around her hips. Krillen squinted; crouching on Bulma's other side. Bulma shivered, held back by Yamucha. He frowned, peering at the sight.
"That's a red ribbon vehicle all right. And it looks like they were flash fried..." said Yamucha. He handed the binoculars back to Bulma, who took a look herself.
"I'm sensing some major ki everywhere. It's so strong it's still all over the place," Krillen shivered.
"I feel it too, buddy," said Yamucha, shaking his head. "This is way beyond us. Something that powerful let off such a blast the ki's still humming in those bodies and everywhere around us."
"Nobody's THAT strong," Krillen swallowed.
"But those two farmers bodies they found were not burned. Why?" Bulma asked, still peering through the binoculars. "I just saw them putting the bodies onto stretchers. That must be the coroner finishing his report."
"I felt that ki at 2 am," said Yamucha. "That's why I came this way, instead of stopping by yesterday."
"I'm glad in a way you didn't visit me this morning. My dad was on his `I can't stand Yamucha' rants," Bulma fumed.
"Aw baby I'm sorry," Yamucha sighed. "Were they um... giving you a hard time about the bouquet and garter?"
"Yeah. But we can't talk about that now," said Bulma. Krillen sighed with relief, wiping a sweat drop off his bald head. The last thing they needed was a lover's spat in the middle of trying to remain hidden from view.
"We're not alone anymore guys," Krillen said.
"Who?" asked Bulma.
"All right, we've got backup," said Yamucha, nodding in relief to Krillen.
"Near north city?" asked a familiar voice, making Bulma flinch.
"Keep it DOWN you," she hissed, finger before her pursed lips.
"Sorry," Tien apologized, crouching on his haunches behind the other three Z warriors. Chiaotzu moved over, his head level with all of them.
"Hi guys, you know what's going down?"
"Keep it down you two," Bulma hissed. Tien and Chiaotzu glanced around, hiding in the shade of a bush. Bulma threw down a capsule house, and bade them enter. She pressed buttons to activate the chameleon circuit and hide them from the nosy authorities.
"Pretty cool Bulma," Krillen said, glancing around. The small kitchen and sitting room were all in one, while a small hallway lead to a bedroom through a closed door. Bulma walked over to the fridge, opening it up and fishing a bottle of spring water out.
"Thank you. Good to see you two here," said Bulma. "Anything I can get you?"
"Beer for me babe," Yamucha said.
"Tien?" asked Bulma.
"Usual," he nodded, catching a can of soda for his small sidekick, and a bottle of fruit juice for himself.
Krillen helped himself to a grape soda, and joined them as they entered the living room area. Yamucha leaned casually on the love seat, his leg brushing Bulma's. Krillen sat on the sofa near Tien and Chiaotzu.
He was the first to speak, "So guys what are we dealing with?"
"Good question. Tell them, Chiaotzu," Tien urged him.
"I sensed a very STRONG mind," Chiaotzu squeaked. "All the way from the mountains!"
"You guys sensed that HUGE ki. It was out of this world!" Tien complained. "I went to North City, and I saw something just before it left."
"What were you doing in North city?" asked Yamucha.
"I was going to pick up our cleaning! What? Chiaotzu and I were going to train closer to civilization! Especially when we heard about those strange UFOS, and remembered Baba's warnings! Don't tell me you haven't heard!" Tien gaped at them.
"Wait, let's all get our stories straight," Bulma interrupted. They each sat down in the living area while she paced back and forth.
"Where's Goku?" asked Krillen. "If he sensed this too..."
"He's on his honeymoon remember? At Korin's tower," said Yamucha. "I don't think Chichi would let him leave her for ANYTHING unless the planet was about to blow up."
"For all we know it might be, guys," swallowed Krillen.
"That ki was the strongest energy I've EVER sensed," Tien whispered.
"And the mind wasn't human," said Chiaotzu. "It was so sad, like it was about to cry. And then it shut off. For a moment I felt it afraid, and then angry. Then it flew away."
"And he couldn't get a fix on it anymore," said Tien.
"Not human? Maybe it's piccolo," shuddered Krillen.
"No way. It wasn't him," said Tien. "I know his energy. And it would have been evil. This energy wasn't evil, but it was VERY strong, and smelled like death."
"Wow, what? You think it might have been that lady warrior?" asked Yamucha.
"Yeah. The locals have been telling all kinds of stories," Tien said.
"Everyone's thinking about a woman in black armor, from what I sense from everyone's minds. But they're so scared I can't see clearly," Chiaotzu apologized. "Sorry Tien."
"It's okay buddy. I'm just glad you can sense anything," Tien said.
"Well guys, what do we do? If it IS this space woman, is she friend or foe?" asked Yamucha.
"I think we should go find her and ask her ourselves," Bulma said.
"Are you NUTS?" Krillen blinked.
"Well if you aren't going, I am," Bulma huffed.
"You're crazy Bulma!" cried Yamucha.
"Then you're coming to protect me?" she blinked.
"Fine, I'm coming," sighed Yamucha.
"You guys better go tell Master Roshi, and Ox King," said Krillen. "I'm gonna go along, I guess... gulp."
"You are so sweet, thank you!" Bulma laughed, kissing both men on their cheeks. "C'mon let's start looking. You guys can use your ki sensing whatever right?"
"I guess. Man, this is not my day," Yamucha swallowed.
**
Sign up to rate and review this story