Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Pools of Vaisha: Book One

Prologue

by MatthewMorin 1 review

A peculiar encounter.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2011-12-14 - Updated: 2011-12-18 - 262 words

0Unrated
A dark tree’s limbs made noise in the wind, trying to drown out a baby’s cry. The shadows cast from the tree covered the baby’s naked body. The ground around the tree was lifeless.
A man, nearly as tall as a giant, climbed up a hill to the tree, where the baby lay. The cloak he wore was black and came down to his heels. The cowl was pulled forward, and hung over his face which was lit slightly by the candle in his hands. He stood over the screaming baby for a time, and finally lifted him off of the ground.
The baby’s crying softened, and he opened his gray eyes. The two stared at each other, with equal hatred and despise. Invisible sparks clashed between the two, and the man felt at a loss. Thunder cracked, and the baby didn’t even flinch. He only stared at the man, who was ten times his size.
The man finally sighed, and looked away. “Ah brother, you are indeed that man’s son.”
The baby stared blankly. Then his face twisting in a scowl.
“Will you be able to resist, I wonder?” the man said, frowning. “If you do, I’ll see you again. And I may not live through it.”
Drops of water hit the baby's skin and the man's cloak. In less time than was needed, he put the baby back down on the black ground.
“Goodbye,” he said, and then he walked away.
The child began to cry again as the rain began to fall.
Sign up to rate and review this story