Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Give 'Em Hell Kid

Chapter 3

by TheatreGeek 1 review

Hayley gets some unwanted attention and Mr Way is late for class

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2011-12-27 - Updated: 2011-12-27 - 998 words

0Unrated
I came down for breakfast the next morning to find the house empty. No note, just two empty whiskey bottles on the floor of the living room. He'd be out at Alex's. I wiped the sleep from my eyes and blearily picked up the bottles and carried them through into the kitchen. I put them in the trash and began making some toast. I knew it wouldn't fill me up for the day, but I didn't care. I got dressed quickly and left, forgetting about dad. If he wanted to ruin his life, that was fine by me.
I arrived at school ten minutes later, just before the bell went for form period. I went to my classroom, mumbling a good morning and sitting down in the seat next to my friend Ally.
“ Hey!” She was her usual bubbly self this morning. I was glad of that, she helped me forget about all my problems by just being hyper 24/7.
“ Hey, what’s happenin’ ?” I mumbled, resting my head on the desk.
“ Not a lot, though I can see someone staring at you!” Ally said with a grin. I slowly raised my head and looked in the direction she was indicating with her eyebrows. Sure enough, on the other side of the room, Dave was looking at me. I pulled a weird face at him and turned away. Most girls would be flattered that a guy had looked at her, but I wasn’t. Especially not with David. He wasn’t a particularly popular guy, and seemed quite nice. I wasn’t immensely popular myself, but I wasn’t interested.
“aaaawww, why not?” Ally cooed, giggling. She’d read my mind.
“ You know why.” I said, my words muffled in the fabric of my black school blazer.
“ You’re not interested in guys at all are you? You want to 'focus on work and life', sorry I forgot” Ally said, rolling her eyes and giving me a playful shove. “ Now wake the hell up and talk to me properly!”
“ ‘kay…” I said, hauling myself upright. Ally was right, I wasn’t particularly interested in relationships at all. I mean, sure, I’d like to get married and have kids in the future, but right now I had so much work to do at school, and the whole mum and dad situation took a lot of my strength and time. I had much more important stuff to think about than boys.
We chatted until the bell for first period rang, and we both went our separate ways. I looked at my time table and realised that I had double art this morning. I made my way to the art room and joined the rest of my class. Mr Way wasn’t there yet, so we just sat there quietly, getting on with our work. Twenty minutes passed, and still no teacher. I began to wonder where he was, but didn’t say anything. It was easier to just keep quiet. Finally, half an hour after the lesson had started, Mr Way entered the room. His already messy hair had fallen over his eyes, and the top button on his shirt was undone. “Sorry I’m late everybody. I….kind of got a bit lost….” He mumbled, his head down, avoiding our curious gaze. He shuffled to his desk, nearly tripping over the long laces on his black converse. The class giggled, the image of a teacher getting lost and flustered amusing. I simply looked at him. I needed to ask him something about my sketch, but I wasn’t sure whether now was a good time. After about ten minutes of debating with myself, I gingerly sidled up to him.
“I’m sorry sir, but I wanted to just ask you something…”
“ Oh sure, go for it Hayley.” He replied, pushing his hair out of his face and looking at me. As he did this I noticed the stale smell of cigarette smoke rising from him. I tried not to gag and slipped my paper in front of him. “Well, I was wondering how I could make the girl’s face look more…I’m not sure…” I nibbled at a piece of dead skin on my lower lip, feeling a bit awkward.
“I see what you mean. Yeah, maybe you just need to…” he pulled a pencil out from a jam jar that was on the desk and held it poised above the paper. He turned to me, “ You mind?”
“Oh, no. No, go ahead.”
He began to sketch in the girl’s expression. My mouth fell open. He captured the girl exactly how I’d wanted it to be, and I hadn’t even told him how. “Something like that?” He asked, putting down the pencil and gesturing to the drawing. “ That’s…that’s exactly how I wanted it…I….thank you Mr Way….” I stuttered, picking up my piece and staring at it. “no problem at all, that’s my job after all….” He said, and I noticed a tiny smile appear on his face. I smiled back and carried my work back to my seat.

-----------------

I thanked Mr Way again as I left the classroom at the end of the lesson. “ It’s no problem, I’m glad I was able to help you out. See you guys next time, alright?” he said, shutting the door after us.
I got to the bottom of the stairs only to find David waiting for me. “Um…hey Hayley. What lesson did you just have?”
“Art, how about you?”
“Oh, I had biology…boring I know…”
“Yeah…I guess.”
“ Um… I was wondering…do you maybe want to hang out at break or something? I just…”
“ Well, I’d better be going David, bye!” I interrupted. I felt bad, but it was easier than telling him I wasn’t interested. Hopefully he’d forget about it soon enough. I just didn’t want a boyfriend right now.
Sign up to rate and review this story