Categories > Anime/Manga > Yu Yu Hakusho > Surreality: Poisoned by Paranoia

Surreality: Poisoned by Paranoia

by Birth_stained_Scarle 0 reviews

Hiei keeps envisoining his death by the silver fox. How much is true and how much is false? How will he tell if his nightmares are reality or just a haze?

Category: Yu Yu Hakusho - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Horror - Characters: Botan, Genkai, Hiei, Kazuma Kuwabara, Keiko, Koenma, Kurama, Mukuro, Shizuru Kuwabara, Yukina, Yusuke - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-06-22 - Updated: 2006-06-22 - 1651 words

0Unrated
Surreality: Poisoned by Paranoia

Surreality: Poisoned by Paranoia

Chapter One


"What was it you said?" A voice from above brought him to his senses. Unruly scarlet tresses cascaded down his back; verdant eyes blithely stared at his reluctant companion. A lovely face masked the corrupted mind behind it. Long, slender fingers reached into his hair, fingering a small seed. A wry smirk graced the terror's face.

No reply or eye contact.

"Such impudence."

His stubbornness could never be rivaled. However, he could be persuaded. A spark ignited as the boy haphazardly tossed the small seed below.

Long braided grey roots tightly ensnared the other; the tendrils were attached to a single seed, each one germinated in thin silvery strands mingled with the several other thousand strands, intertwining as they shot out of the ground growing more and more into branches. The whole vicinity was dark, save for one strange sphere of light hovering above them which was giving the seed more energy to continue to grow rapidly.

He watched the other, in mirth and tainted delight; as he continued to fight the newly born constricting tree engulf him. The boughs were stained in his blood that permeated through the bark and melded into a light pink hue. Briars clung to him, as vines curled around the torso and head. He could no longer try to sift through the foliage to his freedom.

"I believe you said... I was cut-throat? Cruel? Apapthetic? Insane? You flatter me."

Buds began to bloom from the branches, bleeding red dew onto the other's forehead. The tiny flowers shined with the light absorbed from the fading sphere. A sudden vibrancy gleamed into the fox's dull eyes scrutinizing his companion. Large blood red eyes stared through him. Long eyelashes fluttering out the pollen spray that clawed viciously into any other unprotected areas. Messy black hair in disarray from its distinct flame shape when the stringy vines curled into it. A seemingly child-like appearance in his face yet was false given his body-type. His small lithe body was practically being strangled by the tree.

How... lovely his companion was. Truly beautiful and fascinating. A low growl escaped him as he thought of the numerous ways he could torture his prey. Staves thrown through the heart, blood oozing out either side, saliva dribbling from his mouth... or killing slowly, watching him convulse in pain, finding his breaking point. Luscious thoughts they were.

A chill ran up his spine. He couldn't get too excited. Not yet anyway.

Hopping down, he walked slowly towards his victim, "You still do not wish to speak to me? Hmph. It seems to me that you are the cruel one." A clawed hand reached to tangle in the other's hair, before pulling it roughly.

The sphere faded away completely as the fully grown tree stopped its attack on the demon, now encompassed to his neck in the large roots. Hiei glared at the imposter of his friend. Kurama wouldn't have worn the sick impish smirk this bad copy did. He wouldn't do something like this just for the hell of it - the majority of the time. This impersonator, a doll even, could never match his friend.

"Are you sure?" Came the reply from the terror. Amber eyes glinted beneath the curtain of red hair. A low chuckle resounded from his throat. A growl from Hiei's. How he would adore shredding his vocal cords apart, along with its violently decapitated body.

"I am Kurama. I am what you see - or I should say what you don't see." The fox laughed again, his eyes returning to their normal green color.

"I can see just fine. You are not Kurama. And what the hell do you think you're doing?"

Reaching out, he traced his forehead then his nose before poking it. "Why, buying time of course."

Time?

"Tell me... which me do you prefer? This me or..." Kurama's breathing became ragged as the amber color returned in his eyes, getting brighter to a pale yellow. The rouge in his hair bleached to the silvery-white tresses. Sensitive furry ears shone on his hair as his hair grew longer. His hands became narrower, finger grew longer nails sharper. His body convulsed dangerously as it grew longer and more muscular. His bones cracked and healed while body completed its transformation. Five long silver tails swished behind him as he stood nude.


"Or do you prefer this me?" He grinned mischievously, long fingers closed harshly around Hiei's exposed neck, abruptly interrupting air. "No reply again I see! You are quite the biased bastard!" He laughed as they tightened around his neck, nails digging into his skin.

~~*

Hiei awoke, startled in a cold sweat, his breathing shallow. Raven hair clung to his sweaty face. Eyes wide in shock as he still felt the chilling fingers course though his throat, his blood trickling down the white hands and that maniacal laugh as those insane eyes looked on. It was too surreal.

Again, he reached the same conundrum in the reoccurring dream. A large tree would absorb his body, merging with him. A shadow of Kurama blabbers nonsense then switches into his old body and attempt to strangle him. But why?

The golden rays of the morning star shone with the dawn. The sky, a pale white as the sun rose high from its slumber dissipating the clouds. Crows flew in the empty canvas of the horizon like black dotted streaks. He stood from the high bough of the naked tree, staring aimlessly into the horizon. Its baby leaves unfurled for the radiance, soaking it in. The last of winter snow sloshed in puddles scattered around the land. He could feel the aura of the tree returning as more of its appendages spread upwards. It was a quiet morning in the forest, unlike the city.

The loud boisterous noise from the humans' daily activities unnerved him. Different scents mingled into one another, blending into a horrid stench. These people with their unorthodox methods and customs. And he continued to live amongst them. Kurama was a very unpredictable character. A cold-hearted killer one moment, the next a human abiding by their society.

Humanity. Is that what set them apart?

Hopping down form his high roost, a burning caught his attention. Hastily removing the headband from his forehead, the rush of cold air stung the opened eye in the middle. Ignoring the familiar throbbing pain in his temples, Hiei focused his youki. The energy ran through the nerves connected to the faux eye settling the irritation. The minor headache was also fading away.

A vibrant memory of the capture of "Vivian" sneaked into his mind. "Vivian", or what the terrible nuisance called itself, decided it was a brilliant idea to trespass the borders of the demon realm into the human realm to cause mischief.

He had cornered her in an alleyway, intercepting her fun of pretending to be a perfume saleswoman on a helpless human. Frequently, she would play dumb, trying to act human, failing miserably. In her haste to be rid of his presence, she discarded her façade and assumed her true form. With a top half of its body a slender woman, its bottom half a long snake tail. From head to tail, it was at least seven to eight feet long. Aquamarine scales glistened in the sunlight on that breezy day.

The cobra demon then started lunging towards him, her venom shooting his shadow instead.* Hiei, being too quick for the serpent, slashed at the tough skin with his sword while dodging the venom projectiles. They darted around the small space, slowly branching out into the street, then into the encompassing highway, the trucks and cars skidding to an abrupt halt, their operators watching in fascination as the monster viciously attacked a small boy.

He had tired her out from the chase, seeing as she breathed heavily. She seemed to hold a slight fervor though, smirking at him, her fangs secreting acid.

Hiei lunged at the snake, while she stood her ground, and spat her acid at him. He shifted in mid-air, barely missing her venom, and plunged his sword deep into her heart. Twisting it slightly, he slashed her left side as he pulled the blade out. She plopped to ground, still smiling up at him, her blood trickled from her mouth.

Erasing his new fans' minds was also annoying and tedious. And his sword was also ruined; its edge was melted and brittle. Turned out her poison wasn't stored in the glands in her upper jaw, the gland was centered on the heart.

'Her death was the only perk of the situation.' He thought grimly as he came upon the outskirts of the city. Coming into a tunnel, he walked along side the asphalt, cars rushing past him. As he walked, his Jagan burned intensely. Eyes clutched shut; he staggered as he grasped his forehead and fell to his knees. Blood smeared his fingers as the burning grew more excruciating. Cracking an eye open, he was briefly blinded by a white light.

Strikingly furious gold eyes flashed before him, he inwardly shuddered. The youko swiftly dashed towards him, claws extended. The air became warmer as fire burst in small projectiles towards the fox. Just as Kurama was about to meet him, the two were blown away in a huge explosion.

Flames were everywhere. The tunnel was slowly collapsing around him. Dust and debris heightened the fire. He lay on his back, cuts and scorch marks on his body, blood ran down the bridge of his nose and face. His vision started to blur as the silver figure closed in.



* The snake that I modeled Vivian as is called the spitting cobra. Instead of biting its assumed threats, its venom is squirted out the sides of its fangs. It can spit in the eye from about three or four meters (10 or 13 feet) away.



Sign up to rate and review this story