Categories > Celebrities > Cinderella

Love

by kaylabonjovi 0 reviews

Playing a game in the woods

Category: Cinderella - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-02-12 - Updated: 2012-02-12 - 1178 words - Complete

0Unrated
On Sunday afternoon, Kayla sat on one side of the living room in a cushy reclining chair and Fred on the other side on the couch. There was a bag of popcorn in Fred's lap and a bowl in Kayla's. The TV blared an Aerosmith music video.


"Ready?" Fred said, a piece of popcorn in his hands.


Kayla opened her mouth into an O, and Fred chucked the piece of popcorn at her. She leaned forward, eyeing the popcorn sailing through the air. She caught it.


"Yes!" she said, clenching her hands into victorious fists. "Now my turn."


she threw a piece at Fred, but it sailed right over his head and disappeared behind the couch.


"Nice throw," he said sarcastically.


"Ha. Ha. Ha. Let me try another one." She tossed another piece to him and this time he snatched it from the air.


She clapped her hands, "Yeah! You were like a dog catching a Frisbee."


Fred narrowed his eyes. "Aren't you HIL-arious."


Kayla set her bowl of popcorn on the coffee table and went over to the couch, flopping down next to Fred.


"I'm bored!"


"Let's build a castle out of cheese."


"You are such an idiot."


"Let's go and do something, then." Fred said, chomping down on a mouthful of popcorn.


"Like what?" Kayla sat up.


"Something fun."


Kayla thought to herself. Something fun? What could be something fun in Birch Falls? When she was a kid, growing up in California, she would play capture the flag with her cousins in the back Yard. Now, that was fun! That use to be her favorite game.


"I have an idea," she said, "let's play capture the flag."


Fred spit out a popcorn kernel. "Hell yeah!"


Kayla grabbed the phone from the receiver and began dialing numbers.




♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥




Kayla bent over, sweeping all her hair forward so she could tie it in a high pony tail. Fred and Tom were in front of her, Robin beside her. She wished that Cheyenne would join their game. But Cheyenne insisted that sports aren't her thing. instead, she sat on the bench painting her nails.


With her hair tamed, Kayla took the black rubber band off her wrist and tied it up.


Someone whistled behind her. "Nice view."


She straightened, shooting Craig an eat-rocks-for-breakfast look. He only grinned at her.


"Who the hell invited you!?"


Fred and Craig shared a laugh.


"I invited him," Fred said, "Why?"


Kayla rolled her eyes.


Besides Robin, Kayla was the only girl in the group. Great.


"Let's break into teams," Eric said. "draw names? Captain picks? How do you want to do this?"


"Who are the captains?" Tom asked, shaking hair from his eyes.




♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥




"Blue team on the south end," Fred said, throwing Eric the blue ribbon. "Red team has the north end."


"Are we ready then?" Jeff said, rubbing his hands together.


"You are going down." Robin added.


"Whatever." Kayla countered. "They have you as a captain."


Robin rolled her eyes. "I'm capture-the-flag master!"


"Master of losing." Kayla laughed, giving Robin a shove as she passed her and Tom.


"Good luck," Tom said to Kayla, grinning, "'cuz you're going to need it."




♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥




"Have you told him yet?" Fred whispered as he and Kayla slinked through the trees.


Darkness had settled through the park. Kayla could see the trees in front of her, but nothing else. She tugged down the hat she'd put on at the start of the game. That's what they used as their individual "flags". To take out someone from the other team, you had to get their hat.


"Told who what?" She said.


Fred stopped. "Tom. Have you told Tom?"


Kayla pursed her lips and went ahead of Fred, keeping close to the trees.


"I already told you, i can't tell him." She finally said.


"Should i, then?"


Kayla whirled around. "No! Don't you dare!"


Fred laughed. "All right, fine."


She relaxed and continued walking. "I can't tell him... i just- it's too soon..."


"But you can't help who you love, right?"


Fred hurried to match her pace.


"But i can help weather or not i ruin another relationship by falling in love too soon. And me and Tom don't even have a relationship yet! I'm pathetic..."


A twig snapped somewhere off to their left. Fred grabbed Kayla's arm and dragged her down. They used a thick tree trunk as cover, poking their heads around it to watch the surrounding forest.


"Do you see anyone?" Kayla whispered.


"Shh."


A few minuets later, Kayla saw a flash of white. Who had worn white? Tom, she had remembered.


He and Jeff crept through the thickening shadows.


"There's the wild," Fred said.


She narrowed her eyes at him, remembering the line of poetry he'd quoted yesterday: Love is the wild that runs through the forests.


"Go get it," he said, grinning, and then stood up, running off in the other direction.


Tom and Jeff froze.


"I'll get him!" Jeff said, darting after Fred.


Alone now, Tom surveyed the area. Kayla clung to the tree in front of her, the bark digging into her forearm. She held her breath, afraid that Tom would hear it. Her heart hammered loudly in ears.


When Tom passed her hiding spot, Kayla went around the tree to come up behind him. She lunged, but he grabbed her arm and tackled her to the ground.


She burst out laughing as Tom wrestled her hat off.


"I told you that you were going to need luck."


Kayla met his eyes. Even in the darkness, she could see the vibrant blue color.


"I let you take it." She countered.


Tom was practically on top of her, his face just inches from hers.


I could kiss him, she thought, they were that close.


He was warm next to her, his breath hot against her cheek. She could feel his heart beating through his shirt.


He wasn't laughing anymore and neither was she. she was pretty sure she wasn't breathing either.


Tom bent down. Every nerve in Kayla's body sizzled. His lips brushed hers, and she inhaled sharply. Her fingers trembled at her sides.


Tom breathed roughly, licking his lips. He leaned down as if to kiss her again, real and aggressive this time, when she felt his body lift off hers.


Eric had pushed him over and stole his hate. Tom layed in the dirt as Eric yelled, "I win, bitch!"


Kayla layed in the old, crisp leaves among acorn caps and green moss.


When Eric ran off with Tom's hat, Kayla scrambled to her feet, fixed her hair and wiped the dirt from her jeans. She headed off down the trail that would take her out of the woods.


Footsteps hurried behind her. "Wait," Tom said.


"I have to go." Kayla said, keeping her eyes straight ahead.


"Kayla." He ran in front of her. "Just, two seconds."


She ignored him and pushed him out of the way, continuing down the trail.
(my posts can be found on my main page. i apprechiate comments and followers, thanks for reading! :) http://thegame1985.blogspot.com/
Sign up to rate and review this story