Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > DeSTRoYa

Bullet With Butterfly Wings

by WHiTeNoiSe 1 review

Poison could remember the end of the world.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Characters: Bob Bryar,Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2012-02-27 - Updated: 2012-02-28 - 1729 words

1Exciting
AN: This took longer than expected... Sorry 'bout that. :S Title from the Smashing Pumpkins. - Noise

Poison could remember the end of the world.

He could remember the laughter before it hit; that seemingly secure feeling that everything would continue after tomorrow just the way it always had. It had been comforting to think that he would wake up and still be Gerard Way, and that life would go on in a wild thrill of stage lights and guitar solos. It had been so peaceful, despite the roaring of the crowds that never seemed to fade from his ears. He had been happy, married, a father, a brother, a best friend.

He had been idolized by thousands, maybe even millions, of kids across the globe. He hadn't been Geetard, the fat kid who drew. He had been Gerard Way, the lead singer of the band that had shaken the music universe to its very core. His vocals had been blasted through speakers everywhere. His lyrics had passed through the lips of hopeful fans, hopeful because the had finally found a source of comfort in the mess that was the present.

After all those years of abuse from his peers, those exhaustive and dark days that were supposed to be the greatest of his young life, Gerard had finally been unstoppable.

The morning of the apocalypse had dawned bright and ordinary, followed by an average day, leading into an almost bland evening. Gerard had invited the guys and their wives to a hotel party in California in order to celebrate the success and death of The Black Parade. It had been like a funeral, a funeral at which no one cried. Sure there was some hesitance, but deep down, they could feel their emotions moving into a world of colour instead of monotone and black. They had played their parts in the Parade to the fullest, and now it was time to move on.

Gerard was sprawled in a deck chair next to the pool, his sunglasses pushed into his dark hair and a cold bottle of Coke in one hand. He still refused to drink at parties, not completely trusting himself around his old demon. That monster had been fought and tied, but there was no guarantee of it never escaping.

The sun beat down on him, dying in the late hours but not ready to fade. The sky overhead was a light purple, only just beginning to melt into a cold indigo far beyond the hotel. It was nearly seven at night, but the day seemed to desperately cling to California like it never had before. Gerard squinted at the orange disc in the sky, wondering if it had somehow gotten brighter. Impossible.

Lindsey and Alicia had their legs in the shallow end of the pool, their toes kicking lazily under the warm surface. Bandit was being happily cuddled against her mother's chest, her year-old eyes staring in amazement at everything around her. Gerard smiled at his daughter before shifting his gaze to the other end of the pool.

Frank, Ray, Mikey and Bob were peering intensely at surface of the massive barbecue, one of them poking at a piece of meat every once in a while to check it. The smell of burgers drifted through the air, tempting even though Gerard knew that they were vegetarian burgers. He considered standing up to see if they needed a hand, but decided that his chair was much too comfortable to abandon. "Hey!" he yelled. "Everything alright?!"

Mikey shot him nervous glance and a thumbs up, clearly indicating that something was indeed wrong. Sighing, Gerard hoisted himself up and loped over to his now twitching brother and friends.

"... don't see why," Frank was mumbling, turning over a burger with a sauce-splattered fork.

Bob shrugged, eyeing Gerard as he neared and grinning. "Oh, look! The queen approacheth!"

Gerard glared at him, fighting the smile that threatened to appear. It had been clear since the beginning that he was the sassiest of the boys, earning him a few jokes about his 'diva' image. "Just because I like to relax every now and then-"

"Right!" Frank scoffed, mischief brightening his green eyes. "You just like to kick back and let the real men do all the work." He sucked in a breath and stood on his toes, attempting to appear taller and more masculine. This backfired when Ray poked him in the stomach and sent him careening backward into a decorative orange tree.

Gerard snorted. "Nice, Frank. Real macho. Now what's up with the food?"

Mikey frowned deeply, gazing at the meat on the grill as if it had insulted his knees. "There's nothing wrong with it, it just-"

"-Won't cook fast enough," Bob finished, ruffling Mikey's brown hair with his hand. "Poor Mickey's got himself all worked up."

Ray snickered. "It's only been ten minutes. I guess Ways have a tendency to overreact when it comes to food."

Mikey pouted, looking just like the kid he'd been not too long ago. "I'm not overreacting! I'm just hungry."

Gerard rolled his eyes at his younger brother. The guy had always eaten like it was his last meal; no doubt the wait had been killing him. "Mikey; quit whining. Bob and Ray; quit teasing. Frank..." He looked around. "Frank?"

"GOTCHA!"

The world was suddenly whooshing by as the ground sped toward Gerard's face, the singer letting out an ear-splitting screech as he braced for impact. He hit the perfectly-manicured grass with a heavy 'THUD', sending his sunglasses spinning out of his hair and into Ray's foot. Gerard gasped, his cheek throbbing and his pelvis aching. Luckily, many years of Frank tackling him had prepared him for falls such as this. Something bright and misshapen rolled by his face, and he understood. As Mikey, Ray and Bob erupted into laughter, Gerard knew that he'd been knocked onto his face by an orange.

Loud cackling could be heard behind him, no doubt from the evil, citrus-throwing creature that was Frank Iero. To his horror, Lindsey and Alicia had joined in, absolutely rolling with laughter at the sight of Gerard going ass-up.

"FRANK!" Gerard roared, spitting dirt out of his mouth as he scrambled up. "Tonight, YOU DIE!"

The younger man giggled shrilly, not quite believing Gerard until the fuming singer was nearly on top of him. His eyes widened spectacularly before he screamed. "HOLY SHIT!"

The two men chased eachother around the pool, watched by Bandit with huge and disbelieving eyes. Lindsey was clutching a stitch in her side with one hand and hanging on to her baby with the other, her laughs receding into weak gasps as she watched her husband's attempts to annihilate his best friend.

"GERARD! Stop trying to kill my husband and help me set up!"

The two men skidded to a stop, their heads snapping in the direction of the patio door. Jamia stood with her arms crossed over her chest, leaning against the door frame and grinning wickedly.

Gerard glared at Frank one more time before stomping over to Jamia, still not forgiving the guitar player for his crime against sass. "I thought we were barbecuing," he growled, plotting Frank's demise as he approached Jamia.

"It's getting dark," the woman pointed out, nodding to the still purple sky.

Mikey materialized next to them, nodding frantically. "Mosquitoes, man. Not cool."

Ray, Lindsey, Bandit and Alicia walked over to the patio doors, ready to head in. Frank make a large circle around Gerard before darting inside, giving his wife a quick kiss as he passed. Gerard watched him go with narrowed eyes before turning to look back at Bob. The blonde man was still hunched over the barbecue, flipping burgers with a satisfied grin on his face.

"Hey, Bobert!" Gerard yelled. "You comin'?"

"In a few minutes!" Bob yelled back. "These babies are gonna be perfect!"

Smiling, Gerard took one last look at the pool. Shadows had begun stretching over the clear water, rippled with the gentle breeze that whispered around the hotel. Gerard shivered, unnerved by the eerie quietness of the usually deafening outdoors. The only sound to be heard at the moment was the steady crackling of the flames in the barbecue and, the soft humming of the man tending to it.

'That sun's awfully bright today,' Gerard thought. 'Must be some weird astronomical thing.'

And then he stepped through the patio door and let it slide shut behind him, closing it with a final click.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Party Poison jerked out of his thoughts, cursing himself for being distracted. The sun was coming over the horizon, clouded by the thick dust that clogged the atmosphere and suffocated the plant life. Its light seared his eyes, making them water until he pulled a pair of sunglasses over his burning pupils.

Kobra Kid and Jet Star were slumped in their seats behind him, their eyes half open and glazed with lack of sleep. It didn't matter that they were tired, though; Frank had fallen asleep.

Poison sighed heavily, his attention turning back to the desert that stretched ahead of them. He was beginning to see dark shapes against the lightening horizon; the first signs of Zone 7.

Party Poison felt tears brimming at the sight of the rising sun, not because of the brightness, but because of the memories that came with the giant ball of radiation. While they had been preparing to settle down to vegetarian burgers and soda, that ball of fire had let loose the blast that had nearly destroyed the Earth. They had been safe, protected by the solid walls of the hotel. Jamia had gone partially blind in one eye, but that hadn't been the worst.

They had been sheltered from the radiation by the walls of the building. A complete fluke.

Bob had been outside when the wave hit.

AN: Don't hate me! It was the only way I could explain why he wouldn't be a Killjoy! And I know that the timeline is completely screwed, but I needed to tweak a few things to make everything work. Seriously, if I had left it alone, Frank would be thirty-seven-years-old in 2019. Also, I'm sorry if this chapter seems a little... Filler-ish. In the next update, we finally enter Zone 7, where Party finds that there are those among the blind who can see. Review? - Noise
Sign up to rate and review this story