Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > The Volcanologist

Jared's Theory

by Mazwe 0 reviews

Jared thinks he has discovered a pattern between all volcanoes of the world. If correct, his new theory could save millions of lives. But will Shannon believe him?

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-03-23 - Updated: 2012-03-23 - 549 words - Complete

0Unrated
"Woah Jared!" I manage to slow my racing heart before I ask the question "Got what?"

"An answer for Volcanologists everywhere! A way to predict future eruptions!"

Huh? How is that possible? How does he work that one out?

"Oh Jared, don't do that to me. You frightened the life out of me to announce that?"

"Yeah Shan! Look! I've worked it out!" He holds up the map of the plates. He's drawn a lot of marks on it.

But I don't look. There's no way future eruptions of volcanoes can be predicted. We can only read the signs we are given. And now its down to me to tell him.

"I'm sorry Jared, but that's impossible. You can't predict future eruptions of dormant volcanoes like that. Some are possibly extinct - its hard to tell the difference. All we know is when a volcano is awakening and possibly active."

"Yeah I get it. But Shannon, look at this..."

"You've put a lot of work into it I can tell, but don't get your hopes up. No volcanologist is going to believe you. I'm sorry."

"Well, you're a volcanologist. Just hear me out. I'm sure of this."

I've tried to tell him in the nicest way possible. Why won't he listen? Why is he so sure that he's right?

"Jared, I am a volcanologist. This means I study and watch volcanoes. It means I know everything there is to know about volcanoes, and I know for a fact that your theory of future predictions is not going to work."

"You haven't even listened to the theory!"

Here we go with another argument.

"I don't need to!"

"Shannon, stop being so stubborn! You don't know everything, no matter how good you are at your job!"

He's admitted I'm good at my job. Even during an argument, it sounds good! Even coming from him!

"I studied volcanoes! I know all there is to know. Now we're going around in circles with this. Are we gonna wrap this up?"

"Shan, you told me about Eyjaf and Katla and the theory of there being a link between the 2. Anything is possible! And you won't even look?" In response, I shake my head coldly. "Anyone?"

Dannielle and Luke had nowhere to go, so they had no choice but to listen to the harsh exchange of words while they worked. They'd never get involved voluntarily, so it was left to me to save them embarrassment. "Don't drag Dannielle and Luke into this! This is just between you and me! Aren't you ashamed of yourself?!"

I'd annoyed him. But I didn't care. He was getting on my nerves, no, my last nerve! He started this, so now I was going to finish it.

"Why should I be Shannon?!" He sighs heavily, knowing that I won't let him have is way. "Fine. You know what? I'm putting it here on my desk. I've marked it clearly, and written down my prediction. If anyone wants to glance at it, feel free." He makes a final note before picking up his belongings and approaching the door.

"Your desk?! You don't work for us Jared. You don't have a desk!"

"I might have one if I can prove my theory works! And that's exactly where I'm going! To prove it!"
Sign up to rate and review this story