Categories > Original > Mystery

Rainy Endings

by xXEmoEeyoreXx 0 reviews

Suspenseful one shot. Made a violence warning but it shouldn't even be considered violence.... just being safe!

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-04-03 - Updated: 2012-04-04 - 864 words - Complete

0Unrated
As he stepped swiftly up onto the slick sidewalk, he scanned the crowd around him. For a rainy Thursday afternoon on Chambers Street in New York City, it was surprisingly quite busy. He often found humor in watching the myriad of people who passed him. Businessmen hurried down the sidewalk, concentrating on their smart phones; scowling the entire way. Mothers worked to ease the sobs emerging from their young children while bikes ridden by messengers whizzed by. The city seemed to be in a furor of all its own. Everyone was so enveloped in their own problems that they didn’t take time to notice what was right in front of them, literally. The man walking past them all, watching them intently was a monster. He stood just over six and a half feet with an intimidating frame. He sported a crew cut, a waste of the beautiful black locks that had existed many years ago. He wore the same thing he had worn every single day since he was discharged from the army, a black suit underneath a charcoal trench coat with dress shoes. Although he was physically intimidating, he had a kind face, smiling at anyone he would pass.



But today as he scanned the crowd, he wasn’t just watching for entertainment purposes like usual, he was waiting for someone. He had known about this woman, a small brunette who worked for a local law firm, for months. They had a mutual friend who had expressed a strong desire for the two to meet. Today would be the day they would see each other for the first time. As he sat down at a table outside of the Blue Spoon Coffee Company under a dark red canopy, he patted his side. Upon feeling the object resting inside his long coat, he smiled, relieved that he had it to accompany him. He ordered a newspaper and a large black coffee, continuously watching for the woman he sought. He reveled in knowing that he was about to change this innocent woman’s life; he would turn it upside down.



After about ten minutes passed, he spotted her across the street from the café. He urgently paid the waitress and walked back onto the street. He followed her, staying about twenty feet behind her at all times so as not to startle her, after all he didn’t know her name. How would it look if a strange man called for her, zealously chasing after her? No, instead he pretended to bump into her, spilling the drink she was holding down the front of her lily white blouse. She looks up at him, her mouth wide open in surprise. Like all the others, she was too focused on herself and not on her surroundings. He smiled that infectious smile he had, apologizing over and over. Slowly, she smiled back at the man assuring him that she was just fine. She had no idea who he was and was annoyed at the minor setback in her day, yet couldn’t help but be nice to the humble man. They both knew however that she needed to clean herself up.



He informed her that he worked just a block away and that he could get her to their bathroom to fix her clothes. She stammered, reluctant at first. He was such a smooth talker though, and convinced her without much trouble. She followed him as they walked, neither saying a word. Suddenly he took her hand and turned, leading her quickly into an alley. When she started to speak, he pulled a knife and told her that if she said a word, he would slit her throat. She immediately stopped talking and instead began to sob softly unable to do anything else, knowing that no matter what she did, she would die today. He wrenched her arm behind her back and forced her into the backdoor of an abandoned warehouse. As he shut the door, retaining his harsh grip on her wrist, she asked him why he had done this. He looked at her incredulously for a minute before telling her that she already knew. She did, she knew he was the trained assassin that had been hired to kill her. She reflected on the day that caused this unfortunate meeting.



Six months ago, she had leaked information regarding her boss to the authorities. Her employer had been running high end underground casinos and when he asked her to partner with him, she agreed, but later went to the police. The FBI, with her cooperation, eliminated the entire string of casinos shortly after she had spoken with them. They assured her that her identity would remain hidden but she knew her boss better than anyone. He was powerful, and he would eventually find her.



As her murderer tied her to a pole in the center of the musty room, the woman sobbed louder, thinking about her family and friends. When he finally finished, he stood before her and pulled out a handgun, accessorized by a silencer. He backed up slowly as she looked at him in the eyes, silently pleading as his finger squeezed the trigger.
Sign up to rate and review this story