Categories > Games > Final Fantasy X > Rikku and the Mimic

Sidetracking Antics

by JadeKatana 0 reviews

What starts as a normal day quickly goes downhill for Rikku as the party decides to explore the Omega cave. Filled with lethal fiends and creatures she's never encountered before it's no wonder she...

Category: Final Fantasy X - Rating: PG - Genres: Action/Adventure, Humor - Characters: Auron, Lulu, Rikku, Tidus, Wakka, Yuna - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2006-06-22 - Updated: 2006-06-22 - 1275 words

1Ambiance
Rikku and the Mimic


"Remind me again, why are we here?" Rikku mumbled to no one in particular as she plopped herself down on a nearby rock. This cave was surely driving her crazy, the fiends, the lack of light, and those creepy turtle things... she's much rather be snuggled up in her bed at this precise moment. Sure this "Omega" guy, fiend- whatever was in here, but he was isolated away from the rest of Spira. No harm to anybody and all that. This led her into wondering the very question she had just asked.

She didn't hear any footsteps; that meant that they were actually paying a bit of attention to her. She averted her eyes to the ground, not wanting to look at the mixture of glances she must be receiving. A few glares, a few stares, some rolled eyes; the usual. Auron was probably the one glaring at her, being his usual meanie self and right now she couldn't be bothered with his disapproval. Even if she defeated Sin single-handedly with just a flick to its oversized nose, he wouldn't bat an eyelash. Stupid Auron and his indifference.

"Well..." Tidus drew out the word as Rikku looked up and could almost hear the cogs turning in his head. "It seemed worth checking out." He finished with a lopsided grin on his face while he nervously scratched the back of his head. Rikku frowned. Was that it?

"Well..." She said mimicking Tidus' response, while getting up to her feet and placing her hands on her hips. "I feel like checking in to one of Rin's agencies. But that doesn't mean it's going to happen." She finished her point by protruding a pink tongue at Tidus. She could hear Yuna giggle from the side lines; retracting her tongue she sent a grin in her cousin's direction. Wakka was looking amused, his expression was illuminated by the dull blue glow of a nearby crystal, but she could make out him fighting to keep a smile of his own off his face. Lulu, close to Yuna's side and half concealed in Wakka's shadow, just shook her head and began adjusting her Mog toy quietly. Kimarhi was as statuesque as usual. Rikku always wondered if he had an unspoken competition with Auron to be the better silent strong type of the group. 'You go Kimarhi! Beat that grump.'

"We need all the training we can get." Auron stated, interrupting Rikku's train of thought before it progressed any further. He was approaching her and looking at her with one of those deathly serious looks which said 'One more comment like that and I'll personally boot you off the airship at the next given opportunity'. She was slightly scared of that look, he'd given her it many times before but the time that flashed to mind was the aftermath of the battle with Evrae. She really was in the position to have been booted off the airship! Then again maybe she thought she shouldn't have commented on the fact his face resembled a Cactuar, green and prickly, while he had been poisoned.../even if it was true./ Luckily they had a wedding to crash so Auron was denied the chance of enacting his revenge.

"But why /here/?" Rikku whined while using her trademark pout -which Auron was unfortunately resistant to. He chuckled lightly into his oversized collar, his eye twinkling with mirth, contrasting the look he had given her only minutes before.

"...We could always train in the Thunder Plains." He said with a smirk. 'Oh no way! Auron's not winning this round- It's not fair!' Rikku just glared at Auron with all the glaring strength she could muster; which just caused Auron to start chuckling again. She decided she would try a different approach as glaring always seemed to have the opposite effect when dealing with the oldest Guardian. Turning to the rest of the group, while intentionally ignoring Auron, she chirped to them loudly,

"Hey, what are you waiting for slowpokes?" and at this point Wakka muttered 'You' but Rikku pretended she hadn't heard him and continued in a slightly louder tone. "The sooner we start moving the quicker we'll get out of here!" She said as she threw in an energetic fist into the air in an attempt to inspire the group into her way of thinking. Tidus seemed to catch up on Rikku's attempt and joined in with his own enthusiasm. He pulled out his sword, the Brotherhood and swung it in the air.

"Let's blitz!" He yelled.

"Yeah! That's the spirit!" Rikku said cheerfully, spinning around on her heel to face the direction they were previously going in. "Let's go!" After taking one step however, she managed to get her foot lodged in something hideously slimy. Immediately she retracted her foot as though it was burned and shook it about in the air, trying to get the ooze off.

"Aaahh! I hate this cave!" She wailed while hopping around on one foot. Lulu's sleeve immediately came up to cover her mouth as a small laugh escaped her lips. Wakka however, wasn't as subtle. His loud booming laughter echoed through the cave and others soon joined him. Rikku upon hearing Wakka's laughter first, stormed right up to him while he was regaining his composure and prodded him sharply in the chest.

"It's not funny." She snapped, glaring at him. Wakka gazed at the ceiling of the cave and rested a hand on his forehead, unable to look her in the eye. Both Lulu and Rikku possessed the ability to make Wakka as uncomfortable and as guilty as possible when either one of them was mad at him. This time was no exception.

"I'm sorry... It's just that you were hopping around all funny..." So far Wakka was making a real mess of his apology Lulu thought and just shook her head at him, he had a lot to learn about women. If anything it had made Rikku's glare intensify. "...and uh, Tidus was laughing too! Why aren't you mad at him?" Wakka asked; frustrated at the hole he was digging himself into.

"Traitor..." Tidus muttered.

"Because-" She said while prodding Wakka sharply in the chest again. "you-" Another prod. "were laughing-" A few more prods to the same spot made Wakka wince. "LOUDEST!" She yelled; her voice a few octaves higher than what it started as and prodded even harder. Tidus winced, almost feeling sorry for Wakka, but he had been put into the doghouse too because of him so he deserved it... almost.

"Ouch! You know that hurts, ya?" Wakka objected taking a few steps back from the enraged girl having finally had enough of the poking.

"Are we finished alerting the fiends to our presence?" Auron asked tersely while glaring at Wakka and Rikku in particular. Rikku couldn't help but think if Auron had such a lethal glare with one eye, she'd have hated to meet him when he had two, though perhaps the lack of an eye made him more intimidating. Still, she dropped her head in shame and scuffed her foot on the ground a few times. Wakka acted similarly embarrassed; Auron usually had that affect on people when he was irritated with them.

"Um... yes?" She answered weakly, eyes still downcast knowing that if she met his eye she'd feel ten times worse than she already is. Auron didn't offer a response and just turned around and walked off; his usual way of ending a conversation. Hearing the sound of footsteps, Rikku gazed up and reluctantly followed Auron in silence as the rest of the group did the same.
Sign up to rate and review this story