Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > Strangeland

Chapter Five

by ArielMaria 0 reviews

Jared finds a note, calls the police.

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Horror - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2012-05-06 - Updated: 2012-05-07 - 637 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter Five

Quietly he went downstairs, his heart racing faster than his mind was processing thoughts. He was scared of what he would find and yet with Emma waiting upstairs he knew that he had to push that aside.

Again the pounding sounded causing him to jump. He swallowed down his fear and continued towards the back door where it was coming from. He cursed himself for not bringing anything with him but he went on anyways, not stopping for anything, perhaps he was unable to.

He stopped walking when a single loud thump came and then footsteps hurried away from the door. They were heavy in the silence that had enveloped the house.

He let out a shaky breath, a chill running up his back and carefully pulled the lace curtain over the doors window away. There was nothing but the clear night sky to look at and those stars that could no doubt tell him what would happen. He was praying right then for divine interference. Hesitantly he twisted the door knob and then pulled it open going against the voice that yelled at him to ignore it completely.

Nothing was there before him, he even looked at the ground beneath him. Once he pulled himself back inside though he saw it. It was a slip of paper, the words "Tell her to leave you alone" hastily scrawled on it in black ink. His fear mounted nearly beyond comprehension when he saw what was holding the paper up, a knife plunged into the cherry wood. That last sound he had heard.

He slammed the door shut and raced back upstairs. Emma was standing in the doorway of the room, the light on behind her, and fear written all over her face.

"Call the police." He ordered going inside the room and throwing his coat on.

"What was it?" She demanded in her fear.

Heavily he sighed and turned to look at her. Gently he took her by the shoulders and forced a hint of a smile. "It was probably a prank."

She didn't believe him, who the hell would with how he was acting? "Then why call the police?"

"Just call them Emma."

"Where are you going?"

"Nowhere, going to wait for them outside. You stay in here, okay?"

She nodded and went to get the phone. He heard the three numbers being dialed before he left the room shutting the door behind him. He hurried down the stairs, stuffing his hands inside his pockets once he got to the first floor. He slipped out the house and went around back. He looked around, the night catching the overwhelming fear in his blue eyes. There wasn't a sign of anything or anybody except for that knife plunged into the door.

Harshly he pushed his hands back through his hair and tried to calm himself. Could he really tell himself this was something that would die out? If it was he would like for it to die out soon. Whoever it was knew Emma, knew where she lived and that put her at risk, didn't it? He knew he couldn't deal with this on his own but he also hated this feeling of being vulnerable, like he couldn't take care of it. Shannon had told him the police would brush it off as some slightly unstable girl getting an overbearing crush and that was it. He knew that was probably true but for Emma's sake he had called them.

He looked back at the note attached to the door. He re-read the harsh letters and let out a shaky sigh. He got that fear again that he had only once experienced, that paralyzing type of fear that weakened every defense you had. Made you feel immobile and that was the one type of fear he hated.
Sign up to rate and review this story