Categories > Original > Fantasy > Silhouette of a Crescent Moon

Chapter 2

by JeKe 0 reviews

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2012-05-07 - Updated: 2012-05-07 - 1277 words

0Unrated
I had been in my room for what must have been a week and a half, Darren brought me food three times a day and I only left to use the bathroom, it was a communal bathroom shared by everybody. It was disgusting and unclean with stains all along the tiles of the floor and the walls and you could tell it was only used by boys. As I entered the bathroom there were lockers on the right, each labelled with a boy’s name and now one was labelled with mine. On the left hand wall was several cubicles, a toilet and a shower in each.
The days blurred, I would just sit and stare at the wall, unmoving, unblinking. I missed my family although we had never gotten along, I knew they would be worried but that didn’t seem to bother me at that moment. I kept going through the story that my Grandma use to tell me. I kept wondering is it possible that Darren really is the one?
This day was different though Darren came in with my food and instead of leaving he sat on the end of my bed and waited for me to finish eating.
‘Can you quit staring at me?’ I said, ‘You’re freaking me out.’
‘I’m sorry,’ He replied quietly, ‘It’s just your name has been past down from generation to generation in my family, except we didn’t know it was a name.’
‘What did you know about it?’
‘We didn’t, we were told that love would be found in the silhouette of a crescent moon.’
‘Oh, I see.’ I said slowly.
‘I have a lot of questions.’
‘What questions?’
‘Who are you?’
‘I’m Silhouette. ’
‘I know your name. What I mean is who are you to me?’ He asked slowly, picking each word carefully to get across his meaning. He looked so serene but I could see that he was slightly troubled underneath the calm.
‘What are the rest of your questions?’
‘Why will my family find love in you?’
‘Your family won’t find love in me, Darren. Only you will.’
‘What do you mean?’
‘Think.’ I said, I stared into his eyes for a long time, while he thought through what I had said, his eyes widened slightly and I knew he knew. He began to lean in towards me. We were so close that our lips were almost touching, if he leaned in a little bit more, we would be kissing. He was still staring into my eyes when he leaned and we had our first kiss. It was nothing more than a chaste press on the lips before he looked to the side embarrassed but it felt like I was floating in the air, and then a song that my Grandma used to sing to me came was in my head and before I knew what I was doing I scrambled back towards the head of the bed away from him.
‘No,’ I said, agitated. ‘No, no, no, no, no.’ I could feel tears in my eyes. I blinked fast to dry my eyes before he could see I was about to cry.
‘What’s wrong?’
‘My Grandma used to sing me a song; I never understood the lyrics until now.’
‘Sing it to me.’
‘Once won’t kill, nor twice
But thrice times will end his life.’
‘So it means, that?’
‘If we kiss three times...’ I breathed deeply, and managed to stutter, ‘you’ll die.’
‘I’ve already kissed you once.’
‘I know.’
A knock on the door interrupted the silence that followed.
‘Open up.’ A voice shouted
‘Come on in.’ Darren shouted back.
The door opened to reveal Eric, grinning recklessly.
‘What’s going on here?’
‘Nothing.’ I stuttered. ‘Just trying to figure out how much Darren knows.’
‘Okay then.’ His said, lifting an eyebrow. ‘Darren, we have a slight problem.’
‘How slight?’ Eric just stared. ‘Not again.’
‘What? What’s wrong?’ I stammered.
‘It’s here.’
‘What’s here?’
‘It.’
That’s when it happened. A crash which made us all jump and then the scream, piercing sending a chill down my spine. Darren jumped up from where he sat and ran out of the door, followed closely by Eric.
I was frozen in terror, until I heard another scream and then I made the decision that changed my life forever, I would help them save themselves and save me. I ran out of the room following the sounds of the commotion and that’s when I saw it, a creature with eyes like the fires of hell and with teeth like daggers. Its hide was covered in shiny black scales that glistened in the light of the room and it was shaped like a panther, but its claws were extremely long and the creature seemed to be able to use them like fingers
That’s when I saw what it was holding onto with savage determination, defiantly holding onto the limp body of Tyler. His shirt was covered in blood where the creature held him like a squeaky toy.
I could see the others grabbing Tyler trying to release him from the talons of the beast. Tyler squealed in pain and I realised the others couldn’t see the monstrous creature before me.
‘Stop!’ I screamed at the top my lungs.
Everyone turned towards me including the creature, it stopped dead when it saw me and dropped Tyler, he groaned and the others caught him just before he hit the floor.
It padded towards me, clicking its finger-like talons on the cold concrete floor,
‘What are you, strange one, that you can see me?’ It asked in a booming voice.
‘Silhouette of a crescent moon.’
‘So you’re the one, that was prophesised so long ago.’ It said more quietly, ‘But you’re human, I will kill you and save me the trouble later.’
‘Stop, leave this place now.’ I said in a voice as loud and commanding as the creatures. I didn’t believe that would work but as soon as I finished the last syllable, the creature was forced backwards by some invisible energy. As it was pushed back further and further, I was slowly becoming exhausted, like forcing the creature out was sapping my energy. It growled and clawed at the floor, leaving scratch marks in the concrete.
As soon as it was pushed outside of the room, it vanished without a trace.
I realised as soon as I looked back towards the boys that they were all staring at me in complete shock, including Tyler who momentarily seemed to have forgotten about his injuries.
‘What just happened?’ Kyle demanded.
‘I got rid of the creature.’ I replied hesitantly.
‘You mean you could see it?’
‘Yes,’ I said quietly, I sank to the floor too tired to stand up.
‘What did it look like?’ Darren whispered, as if afraid to startle me, he walk towards me until he stood in front of me and he sat down beside me.
‘It had eyes of flames and teeth like knives, it was the shape of a panther but bigger, much, much bigger. And its talons were longer than its teeth, and it was using them like... like... fingers,’ I started to black out, so tired from the energy it took to force the creature out. I slumped to the side onto Darren’s shoulder.
The last thing I heard before I fell into a dreamless stupor was, ‘What just happened?’
‘I don’t know but I think she could control the creature.’
‘Why’d she faint?’ Stick chipped in.
‘Exhaustion.’
Sign up to rate and review this story