Categories > Original > Fantasy > Silhouette of a Crescent Moon

Chapter 4

by JeKe 0 reviews

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2012-05-07 - Updated: 2012-05-07 - 1309 words

0Unrated
I knew they didn’t trust me not to run back to my family, they made sure there was always someone guarding the front door which wasn’t actually a proper door with a handle it was a hole in the ceiling that was covered with a proper door unlike the pieces of wood that were used inside and all the windows were always locked, I hadn’t breathed fresh air for two months now and was beginning to feel claustrophobic.
So when Darren knocked on my door and entered slowly, I immediately asked, ‘Can I go outside today?’ The question I had asked him every single day for the past two months. I expected him to say no like he always did but instead he paused to consider it, ‘Sure,’ He said slowly, ‘You have to buy new clothes anyway.’
I breathed a sigh of relief, I’d been wearing the same clothes for a little over two months now and washing them was a nightmare when I had nothing to change into while doing it.
‘So can I go now?’ I asked eagerly, clambering off my bed to stand beside him, grabbing onto his arm like an impatient two year old wanting to go to the park.
‘Hang on,’ He said, removing my hand gently from his arm, smiling at my eagerness. ‘Just let me get ready and then I’ll come with you.’
If it had been any of the others coming with me, my face would have dropped and I would have asked, ‘Why don’t you trust me?’ But with Darren, my heart began to beat faster and my stomach did a few front flips at the thought of being able to spend time with him alone without feeling like we were being watched constantly.
As he left me alone to my thoughts or to get ready, I began to think how wonderful it would be to talk to him alone about everything. Talk to him about everything that was on my mind and confide in him with what my grandmother told me only he could know.
Half an hour later, I was in a small silver car with dents and scratches all over the exterior, I breathed deeply, breathing in the fresh air that I hadn’t been able to breathe for weeks. The windows were rolled down and we were cruising down the road at 70MPH at least.
‘We’re almost there.’ Darren said, loud enough to wake me from my daydream.
‘Where are we going anyway?’ I asked, looking at him with sudden interest.
He just winked at me and smiled and continued driving. As we drew closer and closer to the mystery place, his smile widened and I caught him glancing at me every so often. As I was looking, buildings began to appear in the distance, modern-looking buildings with huge windows which overlooked the roads that were directly beside them.
‘We’re here.’ He whispered in my ear. I jumped startled and turned around to look at him. His face was right next to mine, and he just smiled gazing into my eyes. I backed away slightly and the connection was broken.
‘Where is here?’ I asked, looking around at my surroundings.
‘It’s the mall.’
‘It’s huge compared to the one where I used to live.’ I exclaimed.
‘I know that’s why I brought you here.’
I jumped out of the car. I had never been materialistic but the excitement of going to a new place after being locked indoors for two months was too much to bear.
Darren grabbed my hand and said, ‘Let me show you around.’
We walked down the street holding hands as he pointed out all of the different places, I’d never been before. He lead me inside a tall glass building with a sign with hundreds of shop names on, I was looking around frantically at all the modern-looking clothes, I was in my dream world after how long I had been wearing mine for.
He led me into a shop named Hunger and company which had everything a girl could possibly want inside, from casual clothes to dresses for nights out on the town. I found myself leading him towards rails of clothes with jeans and tops hanging on. I looked through the rail selecting a few items before moving onto a shelf with undergarments on. I grabbed my size and headed for the changing rooms towing along Darren behind me.
As I stepped into the little cubicle, Darren waited outside for me to try on my clothes. I tried on the underwear which all fit and then the jeans and a bright purple top which had writing all over it which was barely legible.
I stepped outside of the cubicle to ask Darren what he thought; he was sitting on the floor staring at his clasped hands, as he looked up and his mouth opened trying to speak and just stared at me. After finally gaining back his ability to speak, all he could say was, ‘Wow.’
His reaction didn’t shock me because he had only seen me in my gym clothes, I had been at the gym moments before they had taken me.
‘That good?’ I asked nervously.
All he could do was nod.
‘How are we affording this?’ I asked.
‘Just leave that to me.’ Darren said, ‘Just buy what you need, don’t worry about the cost.’
I shopped all day with him, getting the necessities for my hair and cleanliness needs and bought several pairs of shoes, a few tops, jeans and a summer dress for the warm days and a jacket for when it was cold. I was set. I couldn’t believe how easily trusting Darren to do the right thing was. He was a natural leader, making everyone feel at ease with his decisions, even when he was kidnapping them. It was wrong but I couldn’t help but trust him.
‘Do you want to go grab something to eat,’ He asked, turning to look at me, he was carrying all of my bags for me, refusing when I asked if he wanted any help.
‘Sure.’ I said, smiling shyly.
He led me out of the building and around the corner to a small cafe, he held the door open for me, and I slipped inside. Shutting the door behind him, Darren showed me to a table for two, putting the bags underneath. He went to order our food. When he came back I smiled up at him, he shifted from foot to foot and looked down at his shoes, and he was embarrassed.
He sat down and looked up at me and asked, ‘So what does this all mean?’
‘What do you mean?’ I asked nervously.
‘Me and you? The curse? Everything.’
‘I don’t know but I was told that there was a way to break the spell.’ I said nervously.
‘How?’ He said abruptly, causing me to jump. ‘Sorry.’
‘Don’t worry,’ I said sympathetically, he was as surprised as I was about everything and just wanted everything to be sane again.
‘We have to kill the creature and then go to the Gates of Old and reunite the lost ones.’
‘So, we have to kill the creature and then,’ Darren paused, ‘go to the Gates of Old? Do you know where the Gates of Old are?’
I shook my head, he sighed and I knew how he was feeling.
‘Don’t tell the others.’ I finally said, breaking the silence.
‘Why not?’
‘I was told only to tell who the curse applied to for only they alone would be able to break the tribe’s curse .’ I said staring at my hands, only looking up at his eyes when I whispered, ‘To save their love.’
Sign up to rate and review this story