Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > The Midnight Troupe

Apples and Oranges

by Mynameisnotimportant 0 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Frank Iero,Gerard Way,Mikey Way,Ray Toro - Published: 2012-05-13 - Updated: 2012-05-13 - 1709 words - Complete

0Unrated
Sidney woke up in a tree.
He wasn’t surprised. Shit like this happened so often that it was pretty much expected. Fall asleep here, wake up there. Fall asleep in Dorm four, wake up mostly naked next to your best friend’s girl.
Sidney ran a hand over his face. Nina. He had to get over her.
First time he ever met her, she was sitting by herself, buried in a book. He sat by her, drawn by the general thinness about her, but he stayed for her eyes. Nina had these big eyes, that seemed to reflect everyone but herself.
Nina Lovelace. Prettiest name for the prettiest girl.
Leslie. Leslie was his best bro. Both had dressed up as Robin Hood on Halloween and sang songs from Men in Tights. Both boys pulled all-nighters tying their ties around their heads and grooving to Young MC. Both boys had written essays for each other-Leslie was such a failure at english-and both of them had shoved a banana up the tailpipe of Father Starnes’s car to make it backfire.
Leslie loved Nina, kissed her first, but they never had sex. Sidney did.
Christ. Nina moved away, beautiful Nina who hated her face and hated herself. Nina left Our Father Immaculate, left Him.

Leaping down from the tree, Sidney banished all thoughts of Nina to the back of his head. He had to find that pagan girl. If only he knew where to start. Stumbling forward, Sidney ignored the blatant stares of a gaggle of cheerleaders. He had leaves in his hair, but if Tarzan could rock it, so could he.

~*~

Gerard had been waiting for over an hour. Where were all the other Pans? Call-backs were supposed to happen here, but he was the only one who showed up.
A boy strode in. He looked about Sidney’s age, but just immaculately better-groomed. White-blond hair combed into something representing a vaguely artsy style Gerard had once seen in a magazine, unblemished pale skin, and clipboard in hand, the boy was pretty much the anti-Sidney.
“Hi, I’m Les. You’re the only one, right?”
“Uh, yeah. I’m in the right spot?” Gerard asked, folding his arms. “Yes you are. Well, you get the part. Happy trails, Peter. We rehearse every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday after school. Take this form and send it home to your parents to get it signed, it’s an element of risk form, we’re gonna rig you up so you can fly around. What was your name?” Les asked, eyes flicking up from the clipboard. His eyes didn’t seem to focus all the way, and they didn’t look at Gerard, they looked at where his voice was coming from.
“Gerard Way. I’m at the bottom.”
“What Dorm are you?” Les asked, pulling a pen out of his sleeve. “Dorm Five. Prefect Sidney Gumb,” Gerard said, feeling fizzy with happiness. He was gonna be Peter Pan! HE WAS GONNA DO DANGEROUS STUNTS AND SING!
Les’s face twisted briefly into a snarl. “Sidney Gumb? God, how did he get prefect? But whatever, right!” Les laughed, a brief bark. “Tinkerbell’s in the next room, if you want to talk things over,” Les explained, turning swiftly on his heel and leaving.

Gerard followed aimlessly after him. The girl cast to play Tinkerbell was without a doubt a perfect fit. Everything about her was delicate and doll-like. Blonde hair cut short, big blue eyes, and nails painted light blue. Tinkerbell.
At that moment, she was barefoot, practicing turns. Catching sight of him, she stopped, and staggered.
“Whoops! I’m all dizzy! Two seconds!” she twittered shaking her head. After she regained her balance, she bounced forward. “You’re Peter Pan, right? I’m Tinkerbell. Gosh, this is gonna be great! I’m so excited! Of course, I’m so busy, what with Cheer and Christian Dance and all. What’s your name? How old are you?” she asked, clapping her hands.
“I’m Gerard Way. Twelve.”
“Ohmigoodness, you must be so good at this! I’m Jane Mckinley, fourteen. Call me Janey,” Janey chirped, and gave Gerard a big hug. Gerard froze, then relaxed. She seemed harmless.
“You’re such a good person. I bet you’re a...Sagittarius! You seem like such a good person, like really hardworking! See you on Tuesday! Or maybe tomorrow if I can snag a spot next to you in confession line! Byee!” Janey shouted, running out the auditorium door. Gerard felt like he’d been hit with a bat. A very glittery, slightly stupid, giggly bat, but a bat nonetheless.

~*~

Janey stepped out of the auditorium and bumped into Sid. “Can I talk to you?” he asked.
“You seem to already be on your way. Go ahead.”
Sidney drummed his fingers together. This was going to get awkward fast.
“So, listen, um, I’m like, looking for this girl...?” he said, weighing his words carefully. Janey’s eyes lit up. “Like a girl girl? It’s so nice to see you’re finally getting over Nina!” she gushed.
Sidney cracked his knuckles. “Don’t you pull that bullshit on me. You can smile your way through the cheer team, and the other girls, but you can’t with me. Jesus, Doll, I know you,” he snarled.
Janey clamped her hands over his mouth. “Shh! There’s a boy in that room!”

Sidney brushed her hands away. “A boy boy?” he asked, imitating her tone. “Oh shut up. What’d you want with that girl?” Janey asked, rolling her eyes.
Sidney winced. Here’s to a former friendship...
“Uh, listen, don’t take this the wrong way, but um, the girl I need to find? Apparently, she’s a lesbian. No offense, I was wondering if you knew where I could find her?” Sidney cringed while he was talking. Christ, it even sounded stupid to him.
Janey’s mood darkened.
“Shut up!” she hissed, eyes darting to the auditorium door. Without being asked, Sid leaned over and closed it.
“What, you think that since we’re both....y’know, that we’ve got some sort of secret code? That's there's a Big Book of Lesbians that comes with your first flannel shirt?” Janey hissed. “No, it was nothing like that! Jesus, I’m so sorry Janey, I didn’t mean it like that. You have to come out sometime-”
“Yeah, I will. After high school. This is Catholic school, Sidney! If people find out, I’ll lose all my friends-”
“Not that you liked them anyway.”
“I’ll lose my reputation,” Janey finished. “God help the woman who loses her Rep! You could get branded with that bid red A, huh?” Sid mocked.
Janey shook her head. “All the time. You’re such an ass. Why am I even friends with you?” she asked him, eyes glassy.
Sidney felt guilt rise up in him. He almost had the guilt reflex beat, but every now and then it actually worked. “Here. Listen. One favor. No questions asked. How’s that sound?” Sidney asked. Sid usually worked in favors, mostly since he was cheap and broke.
Janey nodded. “She’s a smoker. Check behind the library.”
Sidney leaned down to kiss her. “Thank you, Dolly!”
Janey laughed, and waved Sidney away. After he left, she checked the auditorium to see if Gerard was still there. He wasn’t, and that made her worry. How much did he hear?

~*~

Sidney checked behind the library, and true to Janey’s word, there she was.
“You again? Don’t you have a fucking life?” she spat, tapping ash off the end of her cigarette.
Sid felt his stomach clench. Cigarettes....
“Can I have one?” he blurted. She shook her head. Sidney gave her a quick once-over. So. many. piercings. Nose, ears, lip, and one next to her nose. He could see a curl of ink on her shoulder. Tattoos? Her parents must be rich.
Sighing, he leaned next to her against the library, settling for second-hand smoke. “What’s your name?” he asked, in between inhaling.
“You don’t remember?”
“I’ve never even met you before. Crazy bitch.”
She laughed, and took another drag. “C’mon, really, honey, you got a name? I bet it’s something nice,” Sid asked, bumping his shoulder against hers.
She didn’t go for it. “What have you heard about me?” she asked, blowing smoke in his face. “Easy. You’re some sort of occultist wiccan girl with a thing for girls,” Sid responded, wondering if it sounded harsh.
“Ooh, What a fucking charmer. I’ve heard of you, Sidney Gumb. You lie, you steal, you smoke, and you’re a jerk. You betrayed your best friend over some stupid girl, and you blinded him.”
“Hey!” Sid snapped. “He was blind when I got him to be my friend!” his voice softened. “And she wasn’t stupid.”
She snorted. “I’ll bet.”
“Christ, listen to you. Don’t you filter?”
“Do you?”
Sidney smiled. “Gimme your name, or I’ll name you myself. I’m thinking something vaguely Goffic, aren’t you?”

“It’s Apollonia. God, how did you not remember that?” she asked, glaring. Sidney started laughing. “Apollonia? What the hell? Were your parents high?” he asked, laughing hysterically. Apollonia sneered at him. “Don’t hate, John! Most common name ever,” she snarked.
“What? I’m Sid....”
“Sure you are,” Apollonia responded, flicking her cigarette to the ground. “Listen, John’s my bro. Um, I have to ask you something. About tarot cards...?” Sid reached over to touch her shoulder. Apollonia jerked away, and Sid noticed exactly how thin she was.
Skinny. Nina skinny.
“Look with your eyes, not with your motherfuckin’ hands, Grabby. They’re right here.” Reaching into her pocket, Apollonia pulled out a slick black box. “Major Arcana. Go to town!” she commanded, winking.
Sidney took the cards from her hand, purposely brushing her fingers. “What’re the Major Arcana?” he asked, watching her.
Apollonia just shook her head. “Fucking moron.”
Sidney stepped forward. “I don’t mean to be.”
“Save the sugar for the straight girls. I’m immune.”
With that, thrown over her shoulder, she was gone.
Sign up to rate and review this story