Categories > Anime/Manga > Gundam Wing > The Last Call

Chapter Four

by Loise 0 reviews

An AU war themed fic. War has raged for over four years, the two fronts are divided between Romefeller and the Alliance of the Five Kingdoms, however as the war escalates and grows bloodier, the re...

Category: Gundam Wing - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst - Characters: Duo, Hilde, Quatre, Other - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2006-07-06 - Updated: 2006-07-06 - 1299 words

0Unrated
***************

"It's been over a week!" Duo muttered, running a hand through his rapidly growing hair. He wondered briefly if he should cut it but was interruped by a tense Quatre.

"I realise that Duo, but we are trying evade both the Alliance and Romefeller, we don't have much choice but to go slow and remain hidden."

"But we're Alliance soldiers! Shouldn't we have permission to travel through this area. We're Alliance citizens and this is Alliance controlled area, isn't it?"

"I'm afraid it isn't that simple. While we did receive orders from above, they're 'secret orders' and it's best if Alliance soldiers don't spot us. Not every soldier is dedicated to the Alliance remember, Romefeller had ears every where."

"That's bullshit." Duo said flatly. "I'm not dedicated to the Alliance! I was consricpted I hope you remember, and we chocolate soldiers just got worse off than those joined up toot sweet."

"Ah, Duo." Hilde murmured.

"And aren't you part of the rebellion? Then shouldn't we avoid Alliance held towns? You went straight in just yesterday! I thought the Alliance hated the so called upstart rebels. Aren't there orders for every found rebel to be strung up and hung?"

"Really, Quatre, shouldn't we - " Hilde started again.

"I'm not noticeable unlike you, Duo, and Hilde cannot go alone and unprotected. She's a woman, who would trust a woman travelling alone?" Both males distantly hear Hilde's angry cry. "The Alliance and Romefeller, we'll avoid them, but unless you want to go starving, I suggest you not complain about me going to get supplies!"

"I hate you guys, you're idiots!"

"Yeah right, how can I be so sure you weren't at the pub and getting drunk? Or feeling up some woman?" Duo retorted.

"Because I'm not you?"

"Hey! I'm not - "

"Would you two just shup up!" Hilde yelled. "This is not the time to have arguements. Duo, " Hilde turned and pointed a finger straight into Duo's face, "Stop teasing Quatre. He knows what he is doing!"

"You're as wise and sage as ever, Hilde, I commend you on - "

"And you Quatre!" The finger whirled to nearly poke Quatre's eye out, he turned cross eyed in his attempt to get away. "Duo is seriously uninformed at the moment, perhaps, because you still believe him a security risk and I'm not surpised. But he needs to know what is going on or he will never take a chance for the rebellion!"

For a moment it seems Quatre will answer unfavourably, however he just sighs and sits back, smiling at the still fuming Hilde. "Thank you, Hilde, for making me come to my senses." He takes a deep breath and turns to the stunned Duo. "The rebellion... well, what's there to say?"

****************

Cathy smiled at the Alliance soldier, he wearily smiled back, stretching his scarred face. Her eyes didn't flicker, nor the compassion wane.

Since the war had started she had seen countless soldiers injuried, wounded and battled. It was the price of war. At first she had been hesitant to go near them, but gradually she had learned, that they wanted no reminders of the war.

She was here to perform, to amuse and mostly importantly make money. That's what the leader of the circus said anyway, and in many ways did make sense, though she hated to admit it.

Being born a Gypsy was a curse, and few managed outside of the close knit communities. Cathy was alone, the rest of her family being put to death in a pogrom some years earlier.

Swallowing, Cathy did a mock curtsey and flipped out her knives. Her parents had ordered her and her brother to run away before sacrificing themselves.

They had joined the circus soon after but when Triton had been struck down by an illness, Cathy hadn't know what to do. She had no money for medicene, even if a doctor would deal with a Gypsy, a circus performer.

It had been raining the night, the last time she saw her brother. He had been so pale and ill, lying in his small cot in her wagon. Their wagon, that they had worked so hard for. She couldn't stop herself from crying.

Her sobbing, hadn't stirred her brother, so caught up in his fever and sickness that he was lost to the delusions of his heat racked mind.

When there was a knock at the door, she had started, quite shocked. At first Cathy did not want to open the door, too afraid to wonder what might be out there. It was a dark and stormy night, one that remiscant of her dog eared romantic novels.

For a full minute she had stared at the door, being pounded from the outside. It was with shaky hands that she had picked up a rusty revolver, and walked slowly to the door.

To this day she regretted opening that door, letting those people in and...

Gritting her teeth, Cathy took aim and throw the first knife in one quick and fluid motion.

****************

The explosion rocked the outskirts of the military base. Fire and the scurrying of soldiers soon became overwhelming.

"What just happened?" Duo exclaimed, his head popping above, trying find the source of the chaos.

Hilde kicked him in the back, Duo fell down into the mud and gave her a filthy glare. Hilde doesn't hide her snickers as Quatre resists the urge to roll his eyes.

"Keep down, Duo. They'll be looking for the attackers." Quatre frowned. "I didn't think, that Romefeller would attack so far away from their front. Are they mad? It's suicidal..."

"That must be what it is, Quatre. Romefeller has steadily been gaining victories, if they defeat this base and kill enough people, to make it worthy. Then..."

"It will greatly break the morale of Alliance soldiers. Which," Quatre murmured breathlessly, as he scanned the site, "As you know Duo, is not high."

"This is a military medical base." Hilde whispers through binoculars, "It has over six emergency health tents, two large scale operating tents as well..." Hilde frowned, "A garishly red, green and blue tent?"

"What?" Hilde passed Quatre the binoculars, "Thanks." His moved back and forth until he found the tent. "That isn't from the supply tents. What kind of fool would have that?"

"A circus!" Duo exclaimed. "You know, I saw one when I was a kid and - "


"That's why they must have chosen this site. The tent drew them in. The circus must be performing to injuried and leave soldiers." Hilde says.

"Fool of them to allow the tent, this is not so far from the front that it could not be attacked by the air." Quatre adds, "Should we stay here?"

"No, this is far too unprotected." Hilde murmurs, "Do you still have your Alliance uniforms? Perhaps you should change into them, they might make you a target, but at least it will be with only with Romefeller."

"I was going to ditch at the first chance we had, but a fire would be too consuspicous and if they were found," Quatre's lips twist, "I suppose it is good that I did not leave them behind."

Hilde smiles, "Well, I'll close my eyes while you get changed."

Both Quatre and Duo give her suspcious glares. "It's not like I don't trust you Hilde, and I do, but I don't trust you that much." Quatre murmured.

"Uh, yeah... I mean, I know I'm attactive and all, but now is not the time for - "

Snickering, Hilde waves a hand in front of their faces. "Don't worry, I won't peek... much!"

Duo blinks. "You're one funny girl, Hilde."

"Stop it you two, time is important." Quatre commands.

Rolling her eyes, Hilde turns around and covers her eyes with her hands. "Hurry up then, we don't have all day."
Sign up to rate and review this story