Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Prince of Gotham

The Bottle

by Calecus 0 reviews

Relearning things aren't always so bad.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover - Characters: Harry - Published: 2012-06-18 - Updated: 2012-06-19 - 1190 words

3Insightful
The bottle of milk remained stubbornly immobile as Harry continued to glare at it, concentrating with all his might to try to move the damn thing. Having mastered wandless magic long before he died at the age of 107, it was more than frustrating to relearn how to release his magic in this new body.

A couple months had already passed since his 'rebirth', and Harry was oddly shocked that he had adapted to the situation so well. He wasn't sure having memories of his old life was a blessing or not, but he was grateful to still have his magic with him.

Harry didn't know how this was possible, but it seemed his 'next great adventure' was for him to start all over again as a baby in this new world. It wasn't proven yet, but he just knew that this wasn't the world that he left and that it was an entirely different one.

While he was somewhat annoyed at this new predicament, another part of him reveled in this chance to experience a new life with loving parents. And if he was truthful with himself, Harry would admit that he had also grown quite attached to them.

When they had brought him home to the manor, he had been constantly surrounded by their presence. Harry discovered that his new parents were very compassionate people, always wanting to help others through donations. As their newborn son, they showered him with affection and tender care, though Harry was unused to such attention. Unlike the attention he received as the Boy-Who-Lived, his parents' attention was saturated with so much love that it pained him to finally know what he missed out on in his childhood as Harry Potter.

Still most of all, Harry had grown quite fond of his brother. Bruce was so innocent and light-hearted that he couldn't help but see how adorable his brother was - a sentiment that he would definitely keep to himself. And true as any older brother, Bruce was quite protective of him. However, as the mentally older one amongst them, Harry also felt the need to protect Bruce in return. They were quite the odd match, but it suited them.

Shaking himself from his musings, Harry decided to resume his training. He once again concentrated on the baby bottle, attempting to call his magic out and move it. It remained motionless as he searched for that familiar feeling somewhere inside.

Slowly, he felt a pulsing beat, and the bottle tipped slightly. It was so close - he almost had it. Just a little bit more...but then, he lost his grasp on the magic at the last second, and the bottle halted its movements completely. No!

Harry banged his small fists against his bedding as tears began to prickle at the corner of his eyes.

Perhaps his mind was that of an adult, but his body and emotions were still that of an infant. Thus, he gave into the frustration and cried out. Really, with his past life, Harry would think that such things were too trivial for him to cry over, but apparently that was not the case for a tired and grouchy infant.

A few seconds later, Harry felt himself being picked up as a hand rubbed his back in a soothing motion.

"Shh, it's alright," his new mother said gently. "It's alright, Adrian."

Harry slowly calmed down as he was being cradled in her arms, enjoying the warmth and comfort his mother was giving. He took the moment to relish in the feeling before embarrassment washed over him. Harry inwardly cringed soon after. As a mentally grown man, he shouldn't be crying out just because he felt upset!

"Is he okay, Mommy?" Bruce asked, concern colouring his voice.

Harry looked over at the child, guilt worming its way through for making his brother worry. Bruce really was an empathetic boy for his age and considerate to those around him. Harry thanked Merlin for having Bruce as his brother and the older Waynes as his parents. In that regards, he was indeed fortunate since the last thing he needed was another Dursley family.

"I think so," she said, "Adrian seems to be fine now that we're here."

To reassure his brother, Harry gurgled joyfully while his tiny hands were raised towards the other boy.

Bruce smiled widely in response and gave his finger for him to grasp. "Maybe he was lonely," Bruce suggested, playing with his hands.

Their mother gazed upon them softly. "When you were his age, I remember you would love to listen to our voices."

"Really?"

"Yes, you would continue to cry until your father or I could calm you down by speaking to you," she explained.

His brother appeared thoughtful with that information. "Then can we try talking to Adrian?"

With their mother's agreement, they both attempted to entertain him with their voices.

Harry glanced at them with amusement and strong affection as this went on.

As Bruce and his mother continued to talk, Harry realised for the first time that he could remember, how peaceful he truly felt. Looking at his family, a serene happiness filled him, and he wondered if this was as close as it could get to heaven.

It was then that a familiar warmth flowed into his chest, a tingling sensation that he would recognize anywhere - his magic. At the same time, something else caught his attention as he looked up.

The baby bottle.

Harry blinked in surprise as it floated up in the air behind his two family members. 'How?' he wondered, basking in delight of his success. That feeling soon turned to panic as he realised something else. He had to bring it back down immediately before his mother and brother noticed it. No matter what world he was in, a floating bottle wasnot a normal occurrence for muggles.

Concentrating on that feeling of warmth in his chest, Harry imagined the bottle back on the table. Nothing happened for a moment, and his nervousness was about to set in until it gave a slight twitch. The bottle jerked some more before it finally descended back down. With much relief, Harry loosened his control as the magic receded back inside him.

Well, that was a first... accidental magic based on his happiness. In his past life, they usually occurred when he was either hurt or in distress. Perhaps this new world affected his magic differently somehow.

'I guess controlling my emotions should be the first step then,' he mused before an internal groan announced itself. 'That means rebuilding my occlumency shields.'

"Hey, Adrian, look," Bruce said, scrunching up his face in an attempt to make him laugh. It was such a ridiculous expression his brother was showing... but it worked because a giggle escaped from him without his permission and another one soon followed.

'It may be a hassle to relearn to control my magic,' Harry thought as his mother joined in making their funny faces, 'but my new family is definitely worth it.' With that belief, he decided to finally give in and laughed freely.
Sign up to rate and review this story