Categories > Original > Fantasy > Forfeit

Chapter 1

by Ritsul 0 reviews

How To Train Your Dragon. This is Berk. Home to many citizens who's nerves are as hard as steel and their muscles even harder. Our war with the dragons was recently declared over, yet there is stil...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2012-06-24 - Updated: 2012-06-24 - 993 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: WARNING! I do not own the characters of Hiccup, Astrid, Toothless, etc; as well as the setting island of Berk or any other item from How To Train Your Dragon. Those are owned by Dreamworks, Cressida Cowell, or others; not me.

This is Berk. Located in the northern half of the sector of anguish. This is our village. It is a nice self-sustaining place. With plenty of work and entertainment. The most exciting thing is dragon training. What every child looks forward to in their lives. My name's Atli. I had one year left before I was welcomed into the kill ring. That was until everything changed.

I stepped out of my house, jumping back as a beast passed by, my friend waving from atop it. I felt my nose wrinkle at the sight. What would our ancestors say about that?

Vikings had been fighting dragons on the island of Berk for almost seven generations. So, why change so suddenly? Most of it can be blamed on Hiccup, the community screw-up. He never managed anything right, yet everyone eagerly fell to his side. I just couldn't see what all the other villagers could. It wasn't right. They were riding and feeding the monsters. The display was so backwards.

That's why I refuse to have anything to do with them.

But, it's not an idea I can easily explain to others. They have been controlled too much by Hiccup and his parlor tricks. All those things he in the kill ring were fake. He hadn't accomplished anything. Those stories about the Green Death and how well Hiccup defeated it are all tall tales. There's no way someone that scrawny could take down an atrocious monster so big.

Shaking my head, I continued down to the docks. The demand for fish had increased a lot since the beasts started living here. At the rate it was going, we were going to starve come winter. As if it wasn't bad enough before. I climbed onto the tattered boat, a hand-me-down from my brother. Our father had built him a new one recently, so his trusted ship was in my hands now.

With great care, I pulled the rope from the rail and set off towards the deeper waters where the best liked to hide. I had just gotten to my chosen point and spotted some nice catch when Hiccup and his increasingly annoying dragon passed overhead, tipping my boat and scaring the fish. A faint apology could be heard coming from the kid as he resumed his race. That's all they ever did anymore. Race each other around the settlement and the clouds, tearing apart the town.

I struggled a little in the water, trying to tip my vessel right again. After a bit of flailing with little success, the nuisance appeared.

"Hey, do you want a little help?" His offer had fallen on deaf ears. I swiftly refused, claiming competence. Yet, I knew it was impossible to hope that the ship would ever be flipped by my strength alone. He could evidently tell.

He lowered his ride, terrifying whatever underwater creatures had returned to the area and adding to my uneasiness. The black foot grabbed an end of a loose tethering rope, slowly tugging it to set the boat up. I glared up at them with my vague statement of gratitude as I climbed in, setting for the docks. There was no hope of catching anything decent around there.

Hiccup followed me to the shore, landing his beast on the planks and climbing down. "You never told me why you don't have a dragon yet." I should have expected that, yet I felt slight panic. I had managed to hide my hate and distaste from the citizens so far. They would only pester me into believing their ways.

"I don't." Obviously not enough to satisfy him.

"I'm sure you can find one you like," he insisted. He may have seemed like he was looking out for others, but he was really attempting to control me with the rest of them. It only angered me.

"No," I offered my simple response and shoved passed him to head back up to town. I stepped as far to the side as I could to avoid his pet, keeping watchful eye on the thing. It took a second to realize what was happening. My foot had gotten too close to the edge and I began to fall. I had barely let out a scream when Hiccup latched onto my arm, almost loosing grip before he succeeded in pulling me to safety. I shoved his grip away and rotated to the ramps, fully embarrassed.

"Wait!" I spun around fiercely when he called. I was done talking to him. "You didn't answer my question." He was curiously persistent. My eyes squinted to a glower as I turned and began walking. He chased after me, keeping up with my agitated pace. With a slight tilt of my head, I could see his dragon tailing behind. "I'm sorry I tipped over your boat."

I gave him a slight questioning look as I didn't understand why he had brought that up. "Never mind. That's nothing." I tried to disperse the abashing topic.

"Then why are you so angry?" He actually seemed to get irritated. His true self was showing.

I whirled toward him, stepping threateningly close. "You all are a disgrace to this village. Siding with them. Keeping them as pets. Its disgusting. You're disgusting." With that I sprinted towards the mead hall, avoiding the abominable creatures as much as possible.

With a step inside, I knew it was a mistake. They were even allowed where we eat. I closed the door behind me and headed for home, fully aggravated. It was so unbelievable. I had to do something about it. I couldn't continue to live with these pests everywhere. I had to discover someone who was still sane enough to realize it.
Sign up to rate and review this story