Categories > Original > Fantasy > Forfeit

Chapter 3

by Ritsul 0 reviews

Chapter 3

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2012-06-24 - Updated: 2012-06-24 - 1133 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: WARNING! I do not own the charaters of Hiccup, Astrid, Toothless, etc.; as well as the setting island of Berk and any other How To Train Your Dragon items. These are owned by Dreamworks, Cressida Cowell, and others; not me. Please keep this in consideration.


I never thought of Hiccup as having any strength. He was smaller than most of the villagers, even those younger than him, and he was never any good at fighting. Yet, he was able to drag me out of my house and towards his. He called his dragon once and it was by our side, startling me into flinching back and almost loosing my balance.

I kept my distance from the menacing beast. He had once been the terror of our entire tribe, the thing we feared the most. Now, he was this kid's fluffy pet. The great Night Fury had been reduced to a puppy.

As I cautiously eyed the animal, I began backing away. I had made a point not to get close to the things, yet there I was, able to reach out and touch him if I had desired to. But, of course, I didn't. Only a fool would willingly risk his life in such a way.

Hiccup noticed my cautiousness and grabbed my arm again, pulling me closer."Hey, what are you doing? Let go." I began to tug away from him as I spoke in a whisper, afraid to frighten the dragon in anyway,

"It's okay. It's fine," he tried to assure me, yet it was wasted. I didn't trust a word he said.

"Let go of me. Are you insane?" He let me rip away from him with my protests. He let me stare at Toothless for a minute before trying again. He grabbed my hand and slowly led it towards his pet's shoulder. "W-wait, stop. It's a dragon."

"It's fine. He won't hurt you." He continued to push me closer to the beast and, eventually, my fingertips hit rough black scales. I jumped a little with the contact, but when the animal made only a slight move to turn his face towards us, I calmed. The skin felt odd, not like the pelts we kept as blankets, rugs and various other items. It was softer, more flesh-like. It was warm, as well.

After a moment, Toothless made a noise and I jumped back, taking a few paces away. I couldn't decide whether to run or back away slowly. As I never had the chance to go through dragon training, I didn't actually know much about the animals. I wasn't sure what the animal would do based on my judgments, so I choose to play it safe and take my time. I kept my gaze just off of the dragon, wary of seeming threatening.

Hiccup took a few steps closer to me, "Just wait a second," He turned to his dragon and said something to it as I froze, unable to determine what instructions he was giving to the beast. The animal spread his wings slowly as I continued to step away before he took off into the air.

With the evil pest gone, I turned and began walking normally towards home. And, as predicted, Hiccup followed.

"See, that wasn't so bad. And he didn't hurt you." His attempt at convincing me was slightly amusing. As if just touching one will change my mind completely. I had to admit it was amazing, but that wasn't enough to persuade me. I didn't even address him, merely giving a slight roll of my eyes. "Come on, at least give them a chance," His request was on the brink of a beg.

I stopped and turned to him with a slight glare. "Why? Why should I? They never gave us chances. They're monsters!"

He frowned at the comment, "They are not monsters. They are really kind if you are kind to them."

This caused me to pause. I had never seen Hiccup actually angry before. "I-I... whatever." I turned away, jogging for the safety of my house. "You're all insane."

The next morning was a somewhat usual one on Berk. The clouds hung low and gray and, save for the assorted dragons flying around, the sky was empty. I stepped out onto the soaked grass and headed for the arena. I walked up to the still broken gap in the chains and guardrails. The broken metal proved the intense destruction that the Night Fury could easily bring down on us all.

I peered down to the new form of dragon training. I was asked soon after the change to join the next round, but I quickly declined. The sight was sickening. There was a small child, younger than the original admittance age, in the ring with her hand placed against the nose of Astrid's Nadder. Another kid was admiring Toothless as Hiccup explained something to the group.

It was peaceful. There were no flinging of fireballs, no snapping of jaws, no axes, no shields, no fights. It was vikings and dragons in one place, yet no battles. It was confusing, yet peaceful. Very peaceful...

I turned away as the class ended. I really didn't want to get caught watching, as people would misunderstand. Mainly, Hiccup. But, as I feared, he saw me and called out. My cheeks began to burn as I refused to turn around and continued walking.

He caught up to me a little ways away, dragon following closely behind, "Just go on one ride."

"No." I brushed him off.

"One ride!" He snapped, angry again. And, this time as well, I was taken aback. "A single ride."

I hesitated. Agreeing put me at the mercy of a dragon, but refusing put me at the mercy of an aggrivated Hiccup. He would never leave me alone about it until I at least pretended to give the beasts a chance. "F-fine. Alright. One ride. That's it." His anger disappeared and he called toothless closer, climbing atop and reaching a hand down towards me.

The evil green eyes watched me as I watched them, slowly making my way to the shoulder. I cautiously placed my hand on the dragon, but didn't reach up for help. I stared at the scales, their close proximity terrifying me. There was no way I could see that skin in such detail. There was no way I was that close.

"It's alright. Just climb up." His voice startled me and I flinched obviously. He shook his hand a little to remind me that it was there and I grasped it, finally pulling myself into the saddle. I grasped the back of Hiccup's shirt with white knuckles. The fright was already forcing shivers into my arms and spine.

With a signal from his master, Toothless slowly raised his wings.
Sign up to rate and review this story