Categories > Original > Drama > Our Bucket List

Chapter Two - Affirmative

by xXEmoEeyoreXx 0 reviews

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor,Romance - Published: 2012-06-24 - Updated: 2012-06-24 - 1391 words

0Unrated
“No, absolutely not.” My mother’s cold, blank expression made Catcher and I both cringe. All of our parents had seemed to be in fine moods today so we gathered them into my living room to discuss our plans for the trip. As you can tell, it wasn’t going according to plan.

“Mom, come on, why not?” I was nearly whining at this point. I knew there was something she wasn’t saying but I couldn’t get it out of her.

“What has always been the rule in this family, Embry?” I rolled my eyes but answered her.

“The rule was that I would have to abide by all of your other rules so long as I lived in this house.”

“Exactly, which means you and Catcher are not going anywhere.” Lisa shifted in her seat next to her husband, Jack before speaking up.

“Now hold on just a moment, Charlotte.” She said looking my mother in the eye. “I think this is a great opportunity for the kids. They won’t have another chance.” She trailed off towards the end quietly but we all knew what she meant. My mother was the only person who hadn’t fully come to terms with the fact that I wouldn’t be alive this time next year. Even my father had calmed down about my refusal for treatment.

“How can you say that?! My only child wants to spend the next six months living like a hobo and I’m supposed to just lie down and allow it?”

“Mom, we aren’t turning into hobos! I just want to have some fun with Catch before I die.” I had quit tiptoeing around the word after about a week.

“Embry….” My father said in a warning tone. I jumped up from the couch, thoroughly peeved.

“No, Dad, this is insane. We all know what the cold hard truth is and Mom needs to stop acting like it’s not happening! Fact of the matter is, I only have six months left and I want to spend it away from this house. I have never asked for anything like this, ever! Please just let me live the rest of my life how I want to.”

My mother was out of her seat midway through my small rant, a deep scowl on her face.

“How do you think your father and I feel about this? If the situation were different, we would allow it but it’s not so you need to just accept it.”

“If the situation were different? What, if I hadn’t just been fucked over by my own body? You act like this is my fault and it’s not! I have done nothing wrong here!”

“Language, Embry!” My dad threw out.

“It is your fault Embry! This could all be different if you would just take the medication.” She retaliated.

I took a step back, unknowingly into Catcher’s chest. His hands rested on my sides in comfort. “So, that’s what this is about? You are punishing me.” She shook her head in defense.

“Yes, you are. You are pissed off that I didn’t make the decision you would’ve and now you are punishing me in the hopes that I’ll change my mind. That’s fucked up Mom, it really is.” I grabbed one of Cather’s hands and pulled him with me to my room. I could hear our parents arguing downstairs but I didn’t care.

I slammed my door and cursed loudly, close to tears. I flung the doors to my closet open, grabbing my suitcases and throwing them onto my queen sized bed. They landed with a soft thump onto the dark blue satin comforter.

“Em, what are you doing?” Catcher asked, taking a hold of my arm to stop me from moving.

“We are going whether she likes it or not. I thought that maybe she didn’t want us to go because she wanted to spend time with me during my last few months but I was wrong. Your parents think we should go and that’s enough for me.”

“Em, honey, don’t leave them like this. I know you’re pissed but you should smooth things over before we go.” I sighed, he was right. If something happened while we were out, I didn’t want our final words to be what they currently were.

“Here, let me start packing your clothes and you go down there and talk to them, alright?” He grabbed my suitcase and set in on the plush white carpet at the door of my closet.

I nodded and gave him a quick hug before making my way down the stairs. I turned into the kitchen to find Catcher’s parents grinning from ear to ear, a smug look on my father’s face, and my mom pouting.

I walked straight up to my mom and wrapped my arms around her small frame, squeezing tightly. “I’m sorry Mom, I didn’t mean what I said. I was just pissed off.”

She chuckled softly and kissed the side of my head. “I’m not trying to punish you baby, I just don’t want to lose you.” I opened my mouth to cut her off but she held up a hand, asking me to remain silent.

“I want you and Catcher to do whatever it is that will make you happy. I will miss you but I don’t want you to be cooped up in your room either. I love you honey.”

I jumped back into her arms squealing. “Thanks Mom! I love you too!” I bounded for the stairs turning my head to yell back at my dad. There was no way she had backed down that easily without his help.

“Thank you, Dad!”

He laughed, “You owe me!”

“Anything!”

I flung my door open, accidentally hitting Catch in the face with it. His hand flew to his forehead as he winced in pain.

“Fucking hell Embry!” He cursed. I gasped, “Oh shit, I’m so sorry Catcher!”

I couldn’t help but giggle at the almost betrayed look on his face, like he couldn’t possibly understand how the door had hit him that hard. “Are you okay?”

He snorted, “No thanks to you, I’m going to be sporting a tennis ball on my forehead.” I erupted in laughter at his grumbling.

“Oh, you think this is funny?” He asked, raising one eyebrow, a glint in his eye. I took a small step back but stumbled over something lying on the ground. Before I could blink, Catcher was poised over my body on the floor with my arms pinned above my head.

“Catcher Kensington, don’t you fucking dare.” I warned him, glaring murderously. He grinned and lowered his face over mine, opening his mouth ever so slightly.

“I’ll take the dare.” He whispered before pursing his lips and dangling a wad of spit just above my eyes.

I squirmed beneath him, desperate to not be the victim of his spit wads today. My efforts proved fruitless, he was far stronger than me and had the advantage of my arms being pinned.

“Say it, Embry. Apologize for laughing at me.” I glared at him and stuck my tongue out. He surprised me by nipping at the tip with his snow white teeth.

“Ouch! What the hell was that? You bit me!” My eyes were wide as he rolled off of me laughing so hard he was gasping for breath.

“The l-look on yo-your f-face was p-p-priceless.” I punched his arm before standing and dusting myself off. He was still on the floor, almost in tears, when I stepped over him to get to my closet, kicking him in the ribs on my way.

He stopped laughing immediately and shot me a glare. “That wasn’t very nice, Embry.” He grumbled.

“Whoever said I was a nice person?” He snorted, “No one has ever said that.”

I tossed him a duffle bag and pointed towards my dresser. “The rentals gave us the okay so get packing, slave.” I taunted evilly.

“Bitch”

“Dick”

Nevertheless, he began rummaging through my drawers, grumbling the entire time. I smiled and turned on my stereo, thankful he was treating me like he always had.
Sign up to rate and review this story