Categories > Original > Drama

Cold Blood

by AncientGallifrey 0 reviews

A short story. A land that may seem enchanting has a dark secret...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2012-06-25 - Updated: 2012-06-25 - 454 words - Complete

0Unrated
The light is cold, as cold as the sky. The tearing winds chip the ice, while the endless snow waters the horizon. The darkness creeps, among every corner of this bitter land. I no longer know why I am here, my memories replaced only with the images of this never-ending landscape. I write in hope, that one day, someone will stumble upon these writings, however hopeless it may be. My hand resumes writing, while my arm drags behind it. Every movement I make on this parchment, just feels like scraping the surface of a sheet of ice. My eyes start to blur, the ink flowing outwards within the hardening surface.

I have sat here for countless days, or maybe even years… My heart yearns for something, yet I know not what of any longer. The sun ascends every dawn, with blazing golden light. Yet this light of joy falls at every dusk, the moon then shimmers comforted by the clouds. When I look up, the galaxies seem so close to the touch, yet they blur out of reach, dazzling in the reflection of the frozen pools. However, I warn you, this place may be enchanting, but it is dark at heart. The wolves may yowl, echoing across the stricken land; the snowstorms may heave, scathing your eyes. Yet none of this is the real danger. This is the place of endless graveyards, where the murderer seeks his revenge. Dark emotions can chill a man’s heart, to the point of which it is possessed. May the truth go with you, and I hope some day justice will be done here. His name is….

My hand halts mid-sentence, and the ink begins to clot. As my vision clears, I see not with ink, but with blood. I can feel no pain, the ice numbing my senses, while blood spatters out of my body, covering the letter. As I reach out behind me, I clutch the dagger struck within me, yet I rapidly start to loose grip, with my fingers sliding off the handle. I collapse onto the ice, stretching my hand out towards the pen, to write the one last word. Yet my fingers begin to retract, as my vision begins to darken. In one last notion, I foolishly try to reach it once more. But now, my whole body has become motionless, and I am fighting to stave off death for a few more moments. All I have time is for one last thought.

‘Please succeed where I have failed, save the lives of all the murdered and once again bring justice to this land.’

Now my vision completely blacks out, as a wave of comforting darkness washes over me for the final time.
Sign up to rate and review this story