Categories > Anime/Manga > Neon Genesis Evangelion > Evangelion Gear

Episode 1: Clash of the Pilots! Ikari vs Sohryuu

by snafuthegreat 0 reviews

Category: Neon Genesis Evangelion - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2012-07-01 - Updated: 2012-07-02 - 3647 words

0Unrated
Episode 1: Clash of the Pilots! Ikari versus Sohryuu!
*]

The Geofront, underneath Tokyo-3.

A synch test was in progress.

Nerv's three top pilots were inside their Entry Plugs, eyes closed, concentrating. Their images were beamed back to the command bridge, where they were being monitored by the Project E chairwoman and the Tactical Operations Director. Also present was the Nerv Commander, Gendou Rokubungi Ikari, and his Deputy Commander, Kouzou Fuyutsuki; Gendou seated in his chair, back hunched over, hands steepled together, hiding his face, the amber-lensed sunglasses hiding his eyes, while Fuyutsuki stood behind and to Gendou's left.

Also present was the recent addition to Nerv. She was a foreigner, most definitely, and made plenty of male (and some female) heads turn when she stepped into the room, not to mention making both Ritsuko and Misato jealous. The woman served as a second physician to the three Children, as well as the resident psychologist. She had arrived in Tokyo-3 the following day after Zeruel's assault on the Geofront, highly recommended by Nerv-01 in America. The woman was in her early thirties, with dark brown hair tied into a ponytail, dark brown eyes that screamed intelligence, and exotic to match. Like the Project E chairwoman, she had on a lab coat over her attire - a dark green blouse and a black skirt.

The black Nerv ID with its distinctive logo – an upside-down apple with half of the maple leaf superimposed over it – identified her as [*Dr. Naomi Hunter
.

Meanwhile, the three bridge bunnies who were monitoring the synch ratios, were chatting amongst themselves.

"Have you heard about the eruption up in Hokkaido a couple of days ago?" Lieutenant Shigeru Aoba asked the bespectacled male bridge bunny.

Lieutenant Makoto Hyuuga nodded. "Yup. The MAGI recorded it. Tarumae finally blew its top. Good thing that the surrounding area was deserted," he replied. "It was only a matter of time, I guess."

"So what do you think about the new girl?" Aoba asked.

"Doctor Hunter? She is definitely hot. So what do you think, Aoba? Is she hotter than the Major?"

"That's a tough question," Aoba shot back. "Doctor Hunter could give Akagi and Katsuragi a run for her money. And the fact that she is a gaijin make her even more hot."

"I even saw the Commander and the Deputy Commander stare at her as she walked past them," Hyuuga said. "She's already shot down most of the men's offers for a date. So where do you think she's from?"

"Dunno. But rumor has it that she's not American by birth. I heard that she was originally British."

"The techs said that as well," Hyuuga said, adjusting his glasses. "I'm thinking she's Ivy League."

At that moment, Lieutenant Maya Ibuki's image appeared on the men's consoles. "Keep it down, the both of you," she snapped before her image blinked out.

Hyuuga and Aoba ignored her. Returning to their consoles, they continued to monitor the three Pilots' synch ratios. "Ikari's synch ratio has climbed ever since the last Angel attack," Hyuuga noted.

Aoba nodded. "That's not the only thing that's changed about him," he said.

"Can you really blame him?" Hyuuga replied. "He was forced to pilot without any training by his father, and we stood by and did nothing as Unit One tore apart Unit Three."

Maya's face appeared once again in the lower left corner of Aoba and Hyuuga's screens. "Shut up, both of you," she hissed. "If we haven't used the Dummy Plug, then...then.."

"Then what?" Hyuuga hissed, thankful that Commander Ikari could not pick up their feed. "Maya, we watched as Ikari's Unit One tore apart Unit Three, with his best friend inside. Suzuhara is crippled for life. We had the power to stop it, but we didn't, for fear of the Commander. Shinji pleaded with his father, begged him to stop. But he didn't. Killing Angels is one thing, but having damn near killed an innocent human being on the threat of death is another. We all deserve Shinji's contempt."

It was true. In the two months following Zeruel's attack on the Geofront, the estranged son of Gendou Ikari had become less withdrawn. He had became colder towards not only the bridge bunnies, but to his fellow pilots, Doctor Akagi and Major Katsuragi. Since Commander Ikari did not see Shinji as his son, Shinji gave him the same courtesy, viewing his estranged father with nothing but hatred and contempt, even publicly disowning the older man as his father on the bridge.

To add insult to injury, he addressed Gendou by either his first name or his maiden name, which irked the elder Ikari to no end, forcing him to have Fuyutsuki deal with his offspring. Commander Ikari could have reprimanded his son, but Shinji held a slight edge over his father. He was the only one who could pilot Unit One, since the EVA had rejected the Dummy Plug.

The only people he talked to aside from Doctor Hunter were Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki, and Asuka's former guardian, Ryouji Kaji.

Aoba had to agree with his male counterpart. "If anything, Pilot Ikari is more dangerous than his father," he said. "He's the one piloting Unit One. If it wasn't for the good doctor, he would have probably killed us a long time ago, and probably all of Tokyo-3."

That was also true. Naomi was by far, along with Fuyutsuki and Kaji, the only people who could actually speak to Shinji without the young pilot telling them in no delicate terms to fuck off.

The rest of the synch test went on in silence.
---
After another hour of testing, the synch tests were complete. Within minutes, two of the three Pilots had entered the command bridge. The other Pilot simply exited his Entry Plug and headed for the showers, completely ignoring the other two pilots as if they were not worth the time.

Asuka Langley Sohryuu strode towards Ritsuko, Misato and Doctor Hunter with her usual gusto, while Rei Ayanami remained behind, as she was speaking with Commander Ikari. The half-German ignored the newcomer and spoke directly to the chairwoman of Project E.

"So how did I do?" the half-German asked, direct and to the point.

Doctor Ritsuko Akagi scanned the sheet of paper she had in her hand. "Your synch score is at 70.11 percent, while Ayanami's synch score is at 60.97 percent," she reported. "Your score has dropped down somewhat, but you're still in the range."

"And what of the baka?" she asked. "He scored lower than me, didn't he? Ha! I knew it! Baka-Shinji is dead last!"

Before Ritsuko could say anything, Naomi spoke, cutting Asuka off in mid-gloat. "Actually, Pilot Ikari's synch score stands at 97.89," she stated, her proper Ivy League accent evident in her Japanese. "Lieutenant Ibuki ran the numbers twice."

"WHAT?" Asuka screeched as she yanked the paper from Ritsuko. Sure enough, Asuka saw that not only was she second, but that Shinji was ahead of her by nearly 30 points. By this time, both Ikari and Fuyutsuki had heard Shinji's synch numbers and were listening in.

Asuka was furious. "That baka has a higher synch score than me? The great Asuka Langley Sohryuu? He is nothing compared to me! I am the best EVA pilot!"

"You claim to be the best, yet you have only two solo kills to your name, whereas Pilot Ikari has seven," Naomi pointed out. "I'm simply stating the facts, Pilot Sohryuu. For all of your training and years of preparation, your boasting, and your intelligence...you're second best."

"How dare you!" Asuka shouted.

"Don't like it? That's too bad," Naomi continued. "If you claim to be the best, you have to prove it. From what I've seen of you, you're just a poser with an inferiority complex. Your recklessness and ego will endanger all of humankind. You're not the best, Sohryuu. You're just a liability. Plain and simple."

By now, Commander Ikari, Rei, Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki, as well as the bridge bunnies, Misato, and Ritsuko watched as Naomi matched wits with Asuka. The redhead was fuming, while Naomi remained looking rather smug.

"You...you..." Asuka sputtered.

"Choose your next words carefully, Pilot Sohryuu. Remember that it's my recommendation that is between your piloting EVA and a one-way ticket back to Germany," Naomi replied, her smile as fake as it was sweet.

That shot Asuka down. Slowly, the threat of being sent back to Germany became real with that single sentence. Naomi was pretty high up on the hierarchy, her authority rivaling that of Ritsuko and Misato's own, which meant that she could easily back up her saw that she had won. She knew the Plots' weak points and could exploit them to her advantage.

"I see that got your attention. How would those in Nerv Germany would take it if you were stripped of your duties of defending the world once they find out that you're a liability?" Naomi continued. "More importantly, how would your father take it to see that his daughter was nothing more than a failure?"

Asuka's hands balled into fists. She wanted to punch this woman out so bad, but somehow, she held her temper in check.

Deciding that she had embarrassed the hotheaded German enough, Naomi brushed her off. "Get to the showers, Pilot Sohryuu. That LCL smells like blood. Oh, and watch how you speak to your betters from here on out, or else you will be on the next flight to Berlin...without your precious Unit Two."

Asuka growled as she turned on her heel and stalked out of the command bridge, muttering choice curse words in German. She could not lift a finger to Dr. Hunter, but Shinji was fair game.

And to Asuka, the baka had a lot to answer for.
---
Stepping out of the locker room, dressed in his school uniform, knapsack over one shoulder, earbuds in his ears, his SDAT playing Mozart's 'Dies Irae,' the Third Child, one Shinji Ikari was looking forward to a nice night at home, following this round of synch tests.

He didn't bother to stay around to hear the results of the synch test. He was certain that either Naomi or Fuyutsuki would page him the results on his cellphone. All he wanted to do was to get home and relax.

His cellphone vibrating in his pocket had interrupted his chain of thought regarding his plans. Shinji retrieved the item from his pocket and flipped it open. It was a text message from Naomi.

Shinji. Synch score was 97.89 – nearly 30 points higher than Sohryuu. Red Devil is on the warpath, looking for you. Watch your back. Naomi.

Shinji smiled briefly before flipping the phone closed. Unlike his former father and most of the Nerv senior staff, Naomi - along with Fuyutsuki and Kaji - did nothing wrong by him. He knew that this was coming. Asuka was totally predictable. He placed the phone inside his backpack, along with his SDAT. He wasn't going to run away this time. After showing the deadbeat, his faux-blonde mistress and the rest of the Nerv bridge staff that he wasn't the same Shinji Ikari anymore, he saved Asuka for last.

And oh, was this going to be the proverbial coup de grâce.

A somewhat sinister smile spread across his lips as he remembered a line from a pre-Second Impact film. 'If revenge is a dish best served cold, then put on your Sunday finest. It's time to feast.'

Sure enough, Asuka came storming around the corner, still in her plugsuit, reeking of LCL. To her, her shower could wait. She had a bone to pick with the pilot of Unit One.

Hey! Third Child!"

Shinji turned around. "What now, Sohryuu?" he asked, obviously not amused.

"How in the hell did you beat my synch score?" the hotheaded German demanded, poking into his chest with one finger. "I'm the best Pilot! You're nothing compared to me, you little worm! You better start scoring lower than me, or else!"

Shinji swatted Asuka's hand away. He just about had it with this annoying bitch. By this time, Commander Ikari, Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki, Doctors Hunter and Akagi, Major Katsuragi and Rei Ayanami had caught up with the two pilots.

Normally, Shinji would be kowtowing towards Asuka, solely to avoid confrontation. Not this time. Not anymore.

"Or else what?"

Asuka blinked. Shinji never talked back to her. In fact, he never stood up to her.

"The only thing you are good at is whining," Shinji said. He then mocked Asuka. "'I'm the best Pilot. I'm the great Asuka Langley Sohryuu.'" He scoffed. "Please. You're just a goddamned joke. Everyone here knows it, Sohryuu. You know it. You don't like it? Tough break."

As Shinji turned to walk away, Asuka grabbed him by the shoulders and forcibly spun him around.

"Don't you dare turn your back on me, you spineless baka!" Asuka snarled as she grabbed Shinji and spun him around, a handful of Shinji's shirt in one hand. "You can't hide behind that restraining order while you're here! I swear to God that if you don't start lowering your synch score, you're gonna regret it!"

Shinji's reply was unexpected, even for Asuka. "No," he replied.

Then he followed up his reply by smashing his head into Asuka's nose, the force of the headbutt causing Asuka to let Shinji go as she stumbled back, holding her nose, eyes wide open in disbelief as to what had happened.

Shinji Ikari, in her mind, the Universe's bitch, has just struck her. Hard.

The gathered audience had different degrees of shock and disbelief on their faces. Even the normally aloof Commander Ikari and the impassive Rei Ayanami were shocked to see Shinji defend himself.

As Asuka Sohryuu would soon find out, she had bitten off more than she could chew.

As everyone watched, Shinji assumed a fighting stance. His right was held closer to his face, the hand not clenched into a fist, but rather open, palm facing downward, which could attack or defend at a moment's notice, while his left arm was extended, bending slightly at the elbow, the hand also open, knees bent slightly (think the stance K' uses in King of Fighters).

Naomi's eyes narrowed slightly in recognition of the stance. It was a basic close-quarters-combat stance, and only three people used that stance. One was dead, another was in America, while the other was here in Japan working with the Japanese Strategic Self-Defense Force.

At least, that was the cover story.

"You..you..." Asuka sputtered, revealing her bloodied nose. "YOU BASTARD!"

Asuka charged, cocking her left fist back. Shinji held his ground, as Asuka let the fist fly...

..only to see Shinji sidestep the punch.

Naomi knew what was coming up next. Close-quarters-combat drew on elements from various grappling and hand-to-hand style, like Jujitsu, Judo, Akido, and Krav Maga.

Shinji's hand snapped up and caught Asuka's outstretched wrist. Asuka felt the breath rush out of her body following Shinji driving his knee into her torso. Then he flipped her to the ground. The German redhead landed on her side hard, causing everyone watching (Commander Ikari included) to wince from the impact.

Asuka, on the other hand, was steaming. This definitely was not supposed to happen. She got back to a vertical base, as Shinji got back to his stance.

'Know your enemy, and know yourself. One thousand battles, one thousand victories,' Shinji thought as he patiently waited for Asuka's next move.

Asuka rushed in, throwing several punches, all which Shinji blocked and parried. Asuka felt the breath rush out her body as Shinji rammed his fist into her gut, which was followed by a left cross across her face. He completed the combo with a boot-to-da-head.

Asuka went down again.

"Is this what the German military has been teaching you?" Shinji taunted as Asuka spat out a wad of blood. "Poor performance, indeed. I wonder if you use your college degree and military training to wipe your ass, Sohryuu. 'Cause it's not working for you."

Shaking the stars out of her vision, Asuka got back to her feet. It became clear to everyone watching that Asuka was pretty much outclassed. The last thing anyone would guess was that Shinji Ikari facing down Asuka Sohryuu without breaking a sweat.

To add insult to injury, Shinji began to slap Asuka around, listing off the major offenses she had done to him as she attacked him yet again.

SMACK!

"That's for hitting me on the super carrier when we first met!"

SMACK!

"That's for screwing up the first time against Israfel!"

SMACK!

"That's for being such a crappy kisser!"

SMACK!

"That's for kicking me in the head while crawling inside the air vents!"
*]
[*SMACK!


"And that's for destroying my cello!"

KA-POW!

The final backhand sent Asuka spinning to the ground, her face covered in numerous bruises, Shinji drawing blood from Asuka's lip from the impact of the final blow. Asuka stumbled back to her feet shouting obscenities in German, cursing Shinji. This time, she went for a kick to the groin...

...only to miss when Shinji kicked low, striking Asuka in her upper leg, before kicking her in the side of her head, knocking her down once again. "You're pathetic, Asuka," Shinji deadpanned. "You only pilot to stoke your ego. You put on a big show, acting as if you're strong, when you're just a weak little girl. You're not even worth the dust beneath my feet. You...are...nothing."

By this time, Asuka was seeing red. In her mind, Shinji was going to pay. With a feral scream, she charged.

Shinji grabbed Asuka's wrist when she tried to punch her with his left hand, while his right clamped down on Asuka's throat. The Second Child's eyes bugged out of her head as Shinji increased pressure on her windpipe, She tried to break free, but to no avail. In the back of her mind, she wondered how in the hell did Shinji get so damn strong.

No one dared to stop Shinji. If he could do what he had done to Asuka, then given the fact that he clearly despises the majority of the senior Nerv hierarchy as a result of what had happened with Bardiel and the Dummy Plug, no one dared to stop him. Not even Section 2, who had watched as Shinji take apart Asuka with brutal precision.

Not to say that Commander Ikari had tried. Gendou tried to stop Shinji from strangling Asuka to death. "Third Child, release the Second Child at - "

Shinji's head snapped around to stare at the Nerv Supreme Commander, the elder Ikari's voice caught in his throat at the glare from his son froze him in mid-speech. Gendou was well-known for his own cold glare, but his son's own glare was giving even Gendou a serious run for his money, Shinji's withering, emotionless gaze was more than enough to silence even the indomitable Gendou Ikari into submission. Even Misato and Ritsuko were frozen in place. Rei looked petrified.

The eyes were starting to roll back into Asuka's head as the lack of oxygen was starting to get to her as her attempts to break free grew weaker.

"Shinji."

Shinji's gaze turned onto Naomi. Unlike most of Nerv, only Naomi Hunter was immune to Shinji's ice-cold glare. After all, she had been intimidated by better.

Naomi placed one hand on Shinji's shoulder. "Please let Pilot Sohryuu go," she said calmly, looking Shinji full in the eyes. "You have done enough."

At Naomi's request, Shinji finally relented. He released Asuka, who fell to the ground, coughing, taking in deep gulps of air.

As Ritsuko and Misato rushed in to check up on Asuka, Shinji had picked up his backpack and slung it over his shoulder. Turning to Gendou, he said in a cold voice, "Next time she attacks me, I'll put the red bitch down."

That said, Shinji Ikari left Central Dogma. No one dared to stop him. Not even Section 2. Not after witnessing how he had taken apart Asuka Sohryuu without breaking a sweat.

Things had definitely changed around Nerv since the last Angel attack. Shinji Ikari himself was one of them. And the senior Nerv hierarchy knew that they were responsible for Shinji's change in attitude towards them.

Misato and Ritsuko accompanied Asuka to the infirmary, while Gendou and Fuyutsuki headed for his office. Gendou knew that he could not discipline his son. Not for self-defense. So he decided to drop the matter. Rei headed for the showers, visibly disturbed by what she had seen.

Only Naomi was left. Once she was inside her office, the door locked, she retrieved her PDA and dialed a number. Within seconds, someone answered.

"Yes?"

"It's Naomi, sir," Naomi spoke into the PDA, switching from Japanese to English.

"Ah, little Naomi," her benefactor said. "To what I owe the pleasure of this call?"

"I noticed that you have taken on a student in CQC. He's a bit rough, but he shows promise."

"You mean the Ikari boy. Yes. The kid is a natural when it comes to CQC," her benefactor admitted. "He reminds me of your brother."

Naomi stiffened slightly at that. Even now, her adopted elder brother was still a sore subject for the Rhodesian beauty. After the truth concerning her parents was revealed to her. Part of her hated Frank for killing her parents, but another part of her still loves him.

"Anything I need to know about Nerv?"

"Commander Ikari and Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki doesn't know about the destruction of the Seele facility, nor the death of the final Angel," Naomi reported. "If they do, then they are doing a good job of hiding it."

"Very well. Keep me informed."

"Yes, sir," Naomi replied, cutting the call. 'Things have become interesting,' the female doctor/Patriots mole thought. 'Interesting indeed.'
Sign up to rate and review this story