Categories > Anime/Manga > Neon Genesis Evangelion > Evangelion Gear

Episode 7: The Beginning of The End

by snafuthegreat 0 reviews

Category: Neon Genesis Evangelion - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2012-07-03 - Updated: 2012-07-04 - 7863 words

0Unrated
Episode 7: The Beginning of the End

Snafu's Notes: Yes, I plan on making Asuka one of the major villains in the story, given her allegiance to Zero, thus setting up for an epic showdown with Shinji in Tokyo-3. Also, I've also taken another slight deviation from the NGE storyline (not that anyone has been complaining, given the positive reviews I've been getting, despite killing off Tabris and destroying the mass-produced EVAs).

For the battle against Armisael, it is not in the Tokyo-3 area, but rather at the Matsushiro ruins, solely because for the next chapter, I want Tokyo-3 to be left intact for the upcoming battle. Also, in the Evangelion storyline, Ritsuko knows about her mother's relationship with Gendou. But what if the bottle blonde mad scientist DID NOT know about Naoko's sexual liaisons with the Bastard King of Nerv? How will that play out?

For those who are stumped about the Tekken reference, it's the double boot-to-da-head that Shinji uses on Asuka, which is one of Kazuya's throws.

Following the encounter with General Hayter days earlier, Ritsuko's curiosity was piqued. Misato spoke highly of him. Shinji had learned how to fight because of him, and held him in high regard. And Gendou was scared of him, given the fact that he pissed his pants in front of herself and Fuyutsuki.

She was inside her office, seated in front of her laptop, lit cigarette dangling from her lips, cup of lukewarm coffee resting nearby, untouched. Using the MAGI, she had hit pay-dirt. Using the MAGI, she had hacked into the U.S. Army database.

The bottle blonde mad scientist scrolled down the list of Special Forces, until she came across one that looked very peculiar.

The insignia was that of a fox holding a knife by the handle in its mouth. The name of the unit, was FOXHOUND.

"Hmm...High-Tech Special Forces unit, codenamed FOXHOUND," Ritsuko read. "An elite black ops unit established by Big Boss in 1971. FOXHOUND specializes in covert solo infiltrations, to cope with local revolutions, regional complications and global terrorist activities in unauthorized combat zones that are politically sensitive to intervene through conventional means. There were four primary groups within FOXHOUND - The Sneaking Unit, The Spy Unit, The Tech Unit, and the Medical Unit."

Taking another sip of her coffee, Ritsuko continued to look through the files. "The Sneaking Unit has four four-man units - Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, and Delta teams, who specialized in infiltration missions as well as abducting and/or rescuing potential recruits. The Spy Unit's specialty is espionage missions into enemy territory, as well as transporting intel on events that could be exploited to the unit's advantage. The largest of the unit, with eighteen four-man units in total. The Tech Unit's specialty is the development of new technologies and weapons. And the Medical Unit was responsible for tending to the soldiers wounded in battle."

Curious, Ritsuko pulled up the file on the unit's founder...

...and her cigarette dropped into her coffee cup, where it fizzed out upon impact, as Ritsuko's jaw was opened in total shock.

The combed back white hair. The trimmed beard. The eyepatch over his right eye. The thousand-yard stare.

General John Hayter is Big Boss.

Suspecting that the dossier that she had found was a doctored copy, Ritsuko punched in several keys on the laptop. Seconds later, Big Boss' dossier came up.

Most of it was on the dossier that she had given to Gendou, but this one went into further detail. Every single black-op, assignment and mission from the Cold War to pre-Second Impact.

Ritsuko thought of only one thing. 'Holy shit.'

"Doctor Akagi."

Naomi's voice snapped Ritsuko out of reading Big Boss' dossier. She looked up, and saw the resident junior medical officer/senior psychologist standing in front of her desk inside her dark office. "Oh...it's you, Doctor Hunter," Ritsuko said. "What is it?"

Naomi waved the folder in her hand. "I got the psych evaluation for Shinji Ikari, as per Commander Ikari's request." She set the folder down and started to leave, but stopped and turned around. "Actually, there is something else, Ritsuko," she said. "You nearly jumped out of your seat when I called you." She began to circle around the desk, slowly. "Which means, you were doing something very naughty."

"Umm...it's nothing, really," Ritsuko said, all of a sudden nervous around the older woman. "Just running a performance check on the MAGI, that's all."

Naomi cocked an eyebrow. "From your personal laptop?" she asked as she reached out, and turned the laptop around, so that she was looking at Big Boss' dossier. "You're a lousy liar, Akagi. I thought you would be at least satisfied with that little dossier I created, just in case Gendou would come snooping around. As expected, he took the bait."

Ritsuko's eyes widened in realization. "You...you're working with Big Boss?"

"Yes," Naomi admitted. "I know the old man very well. Twenty years ago, after my parents were killed in the Rhodesian Civil War, he helped me and my adopted brother gain entry into the United States. Prior to the Shadow Moses Incident nine years earlier, I was the chief medical officer of FOXHOUND."

She looked at the photo of Big Boss and smiled. "He is my benefactor. A father figure to me. A secret well-kept. It was through his connections that I was recruited into Nerv's American branch. It was only a matter of time before I was assigned here, as a mole, to keep an eye on things."

Naomi tapped at the laptop. "You know...a secret like this can be very dangerous if exposed. I've personally hid this file for a reason," she said.

Ritsuko gulped.

"But you just kept on digging. You wasn't satisfied with the altered file." She sighed. "Oh well. Consider yourself lucky that Big Boss wishes to have a word with you."

"What?"

That was all Ritsuko said before she felt something prick her neck. Suffice to say, she was unconscious before her head hit the desk.

Stepping out of the shadows, dressed in a Nerv worker's uniform, complete with OctoCamo to give her face Japanese features, was Laughing Octopus. In one hand, she held a syringe which contained the knockout serum.

Octopus handed Naomi a spare facial OctoCamo. "You have your orders from the old man," she said. "I'll take care of things here."

Naomi nodded as she opened her lab coat, showing that she was dressed in the same clothing as Ritsuko. slipping the camo over her head, she activated it, thus taking on Ritsuko's likeness. A small digital strip on her throat allowed her to speak in Ritsuko's voice as well. Naomi retrieved Ritsuko's ID and after pocketing her own ID, snapped Ritsuko's ID on her jacket.

Naomi's next stop, was Terminal Dogma.
---
Nerv Headquarters, Level EEE - Terminal Dogma.

Sneaking into Terminal Dogma was easy enough. Thanks to Otacon and Mei Ling, Naomi had a thirty-minute window to perform her task before Gendou found out that something was amiss.

Still wearing the OctoCamo with Ritsuko's face, Naomi stood before the Reiquarium, where numerous copies of Rei Ayanami floated in a massive tank of LCL. Naomi stood transfixed for a moment, watching the copies of the blue-haired pilot, their red eyes watching her.

It was apparent that Zero had given the key aspects of the Les Enfant Terrible project to Gendou, allowing him to create the perfect pilot, using 1 percent of Yui Ikari's DNA (for her facial features), 98 percent of an unknown woman's DNA, and 1 percent of Lilith's DNA.

It was ordered by Big Boss to sabotage Nerv in any way, shape, form and fashion. Naomi had told him about Rei's origins, as well as the Reiquarium inside Terminal Dogma. His orders were swift: sabotage the Reiquarium, and bring Ritsuko Akagi in for questioning. While the unconscious Ritsuko was being loaded into a Nerv supply truck and taken to the JSSDF Base Haruna, Naomi was typing away at the console.

After a few seconds, Naomi hit Enter, turned on her heel, and left the room, as the LCL's color changed from orange to blue, the spare bodies inside the Reiquarium began to dissolve and break apart in the midst of their robotic laughter. To make sure that they would not be used again, Naomi drew out a small revolver and unloaded six rounds into the console. A small pack of C4, set to detonate after she had made her escape, will take care of the Dummy System. She made sure that the security cameras would see her - or rather, Ritsuko - leave Terminal Dogma.
---
About 30 minutes later...

Gendou stood in front of the LCL tank that was formerly the Reiquarium. The remains of the Rei clones rested at the bottom of the tank. Fuyutsuki stood beside him. The younger man was trembling with rage as Fuyutsuki gave his report.

"I had Section 2 check the video survailiance," the old Deputy Commander reported.

"And...?" Gendou said through clenched teeth, incredibly furious that his scenario had once again been diverted.

"It was Ritsuko."

Gendou slowly absorbed the news with surprising calm. Inside, he was furious at this betrayal. "Professor...I want Akagi found...now."

Fuyutsuki recognized that tone anywhere. With the Reiquarim and the Dummy System destroyed, the bottle blonde had all but signed her death sentence. The old man hoped and prayed that Ritsuko found herself a nice little hole to hide in until the conclusion of the war.
---
JSSDF Base Haruna, outside of Tokyo-3.

An interrogation room.

Ritsuko Akagi saw in a chair, handcuffed, head slumped forward, showing that she was still unconscious.

An hour earlier, Laughing Octopus had piled Ritsuko's unconscious form - which was hidden inside a crate - into a Nerv supply truck - which had been driven by Revolver Ocelot, also in disguise - where it was taken out of the Geofront and driven towards the JSSDF Base Haruna.

Seated across from her, was Big Boss, the table the only thing between them, the only item resting was a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. Rather than the formal uniform he wore when he visited the Geofront, he was instead dressed in camo fatigues - tiger stripe, the main uniform of FOXHOUND (i.e. think his Tiger Stripe camo from Snake Eater, minus the heavy utility belt), showing that he had been conducting war games with FOXHOUND and the JSSDF.

The old man reached into his pocket and pulled out some smelling salts. Within seconds, Ritsuko was back to full consciousness. One her vision cleared, she found herself looking at the one-eyed soldier who had made such an impact in both Gendou and Shinji's lives.

"Doctor Ritsuko Akagi. How nice of you to join us," Big Boss drawled.

"You...you..." Ritsuko sputtered.

Big Boss cut her off as he stood up and undone her bounds. "It was either us or Seele. They had a squad waiting for you when you arrived at your home. At the moment, my colleague is 'interrogating' them for information, leaving me with you. You can calm down, Doctor. If I wanted you dead, I would have killed you inside the Geofront. I had you brought here to answer some questions I have in regards to Nerv."

It was at that moment, the door opened and another person stepped inside. Ritsuko's eyes bulged out of her head as she found herself looking at her own doppelganger.

"It's done, Boss," 'Ritsuko' said. "The Reiquarium has been destroyed."

Big Boss enjoyed the look on the real Ritsuko's face. "I'm willing to bet that Gendou or Seele would kill each other to get their hands on our technology," he said as the false Ritsuko's face vanished, the woman revealing herself to be Naomi Hunter once the OctoCamo was removed.

"As we speak, Gendou has Section 2 scouring Tokyo-3 for you," Naomi explained. "And Seele is also looking for you, as they believe you killed the team sent to kidnap you. Both have termination orders. You're not exactly popular at the moment, Ritsuko."

"Which is why we decided to intercept you before Seele or Section 2 did you in," Big Boss said. "Abduction is a classic FOXHOUND specialty."

"I know. I read the file," Ritsuko said, still Nervous.

Big Boss turned to Naomi. "You can go. Return to the Geofront and maintain your position there."

Naomi nodded and left the room. Producing a cigar from his pocket, Big Boss placed it in his mouth and lit it. After taking a puff and blowing out the smoke, he said, "Naomi is like a daughter to me, but the last thing I need is for her to tell me how smoking is bad for my health."

Despite the situation, Ritsuko felt a little more at ease. "She told me the same thing," she said.

Big Boss slid the pack of cigarettes over to her, the lighter following close behind. After pulling out a cancer stick, lighting it, and taking a drag, Ritsuko calmed down...somewhat.

"At the moment, we are currently at the Japanese Strategic Self-Defense Force base about fifteen miles from Tokyo-3," Big Boss explained. "What Naomi has told you is the truth. Seele and Section 2 have orders to kill you. I simply brought you here to ensure your cooperation."

"By having Naomi disguised as me and sneaking into Terminal Dogma?" Ritsuko asked.

"War is based on deception," Big Boss explained. "Always has been, Doctor. Having a death sentence on your head makes a good motivator, wouldn't you agree? No one knows you're here, and if you wish to stay alive, then you should cooperate with me."

"If I say no?"

"You will be placed under arrest and handed over to the U.N. for crimes against humanity, as an accomplice in Gendou Ikari's schemes for Third Impact. I think that screwing the man who caused Second Impact would not look very good for you in the long run."

"Gendou caused Second Impact?" Ritsuko said. "What proof you have of this?"

"He was present, along with Zero at Mount Markham, where ADAM was discovered," Big Boss explained. "He sabotaged Doctor Katsuragi's 'contact experiment' with ADAM's core, on Zero's orders. Then he left for Japan, knowing full well what was going to happen the following day." His face was a grim line. "Your boss just so happens to be the biggest mass murderer of all time. He's so evil that even the Devil himself would not trust him."

"What about Seele? How do you know about them?"

"Easy," Big Boss replied, remembering Zero's confession. "I know the head boss. His name is not Keel Lorenz, not is he even a German. His real name is David Oh, a British national, and my former commanding officer fifty years earlier. I knew him as Major Zero. Zero and I have a personal score to settle."

"But..." Big Boss continued, "cooperate with me and tell me what I want to know, and I have the guarantee of the Prime Minister and the Secretary General that you will be given general amnesty and immunity from prosecution, in exchange for your testimony. They will be offering Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki the same deal."

"How do you know the Secretary General and the Prime Minister?" Ritsuko asked, curious as to who Big Boss' connections are.

"Old war buddies from FOXHOUND," Big Boss explained. "The only two members that Seele could not buy off." He paused for a moment to take a drag from his cigar. "Your mother designed the MAGI supercomputer, who was also head of Project E following the death of Yui Ikari. Quite a famous woman, your mother. Because of your relationship with Gendou, you know what he has planned, yet you share his bed. He is manipulating you, Doctor, as he did your mother."

Ritsuko puffed at that. "You know nothing. He loves me. I know it."

Big Boss shook his head. "No. Gendou's just using you, the same way he used your mother. He is a master manipulator, but he is nowhere near the level of Zero. Zero saw the potential Gendou had and took him as his student. However, given the recent failures that Nerv has suffered, as well as Gendou's personal stake in this, Zero no longer trusts him."

Ritsuko wasn't convinced. "Just what does someone like you know about love?" she spat as she reached for another cigarette.

To answer Ritsuko's question, Big Boss reached into his front pocket, pulled out a photo, and handed it to Ritsuko. The photo itself was five decades old, but to Big Boss, it brought him luck.

The picture was that of EVA, dressed in the same outfit she wore following Operation Snake Eater; the khaki coverall, zipped down, exposing her bikini top, the gun belt around her waist, containing her Chinese-grade Mauser, and her combat boots.

Snake had taken the picture of her, several months after rescuing her in Hanoi. She was standing beside a motorcycle, smiling for the camera.

Ritsuko flipped the picture over. It had a lipstick stain on it, as if she had kissed the photo. Aside from that, was a small message, which read:

For luck, Jack. Love, E.

"I maybe a soldier," Big Boss said, retrieving the picture and placing it back in his pocket, "but I know some things about being loved. We were together for over fifty years, before Seele killed her and my old comrade in arms back in Prague. Part of my mission is motivated by vengeance, as well as preserving Humanity from Seele and Gendou's intentions. As far as I'm concerned, both Zero and Gendou will not live to see The Hague. You will not live to see another day unless you simply open your eyes to the truth."

"I read the reports myself," Ritsuko said. "My mother died from blunt force trauma after crashing her car. The reports are legit."

Big Boss shook his head. "You've been fooled, Doctor. Forgive me, but you must know the truth." Turning to the door, he called for FOXHOUND's resident computer hackers and geniuses.

Otacon and Mei Ling entered the interrogation room, the latter holding a laptop.

"This is Ritsuko Akagi, chairwoman of Project E for the anti-angel Agency Nerv," Big Boss conducted the introductions. "Dr. Akagi, this is Dr. Emmerich and Miss Ling, computer specialists for FOXHOUND. With the help of hackers from the JSSDF, they managed to gain access into the MAGI, and found several pieces of evidence that will most likely change your mind."

"What?" Ritsuko gasped. "How in the hell did you hack into the MAGI? The system is foolproof!"

"Trade secret," Otacon replied, as Mei Ling set up the laptop.

After punching in several keys, Mei Ling spun the laptop around. "This is the video from the Gehirn facility, now known as Nerv Headquarters, dated 4 November 2010. The date in which your mother, Dr. Naoko Akagi, supposedly had died in her fatal car accident."

Ritsuko watched the surveillance video with growing horror.

[Another clip out of Evangelion. We are at the bridge, where Naoko Akagi is hard at work. Behind her, a four-year-old Rei Ayanami enters the bridge, startling Naoko.]

NAOKO: Who's that? Who's there? (Sees Rei) Oh, it's you, Rei. Is there something I can help you with?

YOUNG REI: No. I got lost.

NAOKO: Maybe I should help you to find your way then?

YOUNG REI: No, I will find the way on my own.

NAOKO: And how, pray tell, will you do that?

YOUNG REI: Why should I tell you, you old hag?

[Naoko is taken aback at this insult from this little girl.]

NAOKO: It's not nice to call someone an old hag.

YOUNG REI: But aren't you an old hag?

[Now Naoko is starting to get angry.]

NAOKO: That's enough out of you, young lady! Wait till Commander Ikari hears about your lack of manners!

YOUNG REI: Why? He calls you that all the time.

[This catches Naoko off guard. She wasn't expecting this, not from the guy who she was sleeping with. Rei continues to twist the knife, unknowingly.]

YOUNG REI: He's always saying 'The old hag goes on my nerves. I don't need the old hag any longer.'

[Now Naoko is VERY PISSED off. Before Rei could say or do anything else, she is out her seat, her hands around Rei's neck, strangling the girl.]

NAOKO: You...you little bitch! You're just like me...replaceable!

[This goes on for a full minute, Rei pounding on Naoko's arms, her attempts growing weaker and weaker, until Naoko comes to her senses. But it's already too late. Naoko releases her grip on Rei, who falls to the floor, lifeless. She backs away from her victim, horrified.]

NAOKO: (whispers) Dear God. What have I done? (screams) WHAT HAVE I DONE?

[Naoko throws herself from the top part of the bridge. Her head impacts the MAGI's housing with a sickening CRACK, bouncing off said casing, before falling to the bottom floor. Her body twitches for several minutes, before lying still. Fast-forward to about 20 minutes later. Security forces are at the scene of the crime. The body of Rei Ayanami has been carted away. A younger Gendou Ikari and Kouzou Fuyutsuki are standing over the covered body of Naoko Akagi.]

GENDOU: Professor...go to Terminal Dogma and wake up Rei II. I will clean things up here.

[Fuyutsuki nods and leaves the scene. Gendou retrieves a cellphone from his pocket, and dials a number.]

GENDOU: Hello, Ritsuko? This is Commander Gendou Ikari of Gehirn. I am sorry to report to you that there has been a dreadful accident regarding your mother. She lost control of her car and crashed. I'm sorry, but she did not make it. There was too much trauma to the head. She did not suffer. Yes, I will release the body so it can be given a proper burial. You're in Tokyo-2? Then come back to Tokyo-3 and claim your mother's body.

[Gendou ends the call and dials another number.]

GENDOU: This is Commander Gendou Ikari, Level SS clearance. I need a report on a car accident regarding Naoko Akagi made. Also, take her car and destroy it. And send someone to the bridge to clean this mess up, as well as a technician to replace the housing on the MAGI. Ikari out.

[Gendou ends the call. He pockets the cellphone and looks down at the body of Naoko Akagi.]

GENDOU: It has been fun, Naoko, but your usefulness has run its course. I'm sure that your daughter will be more satisfying in bed that you will ever be...you old hag.

[Gendou walks away. The video ends here.]

As soon as the video ended, Ritsuko felt sick to her stomach. Literally. In fact, she made a beeline to the nearby trash can, and promptly emptied the contents of her stomach inside the trash can.

As she continued to vomit, Otacon and Mei Ling departed from the interrogation room. Only Big Boss remained behind.

Ritsuko's mind was racing. Gendou had been stringing her on ever since her mother's death.

'That is what it ultimately boils down to...control.'

Naomi's words came back to her in full force. Apparently, control over Shinji wasn't enough. Gendou used her as well. He used her mother, his son, damn near everyone in Nerv for his own desires.

"I'm sorry that it has to be this way, Doctor," Big Boss said, sympathetic, yet professional, crouching over Ritsuko, his guard not completely down. "But you had to see for yourself the truth about Gendou. He never cared for you, nor your mother. But can help make things right. Help us stop Gendou from unleashing Third Impact."

Ritsuko coughed the last of her breakfast and coffee into the trash bin. Turning her head so that she could look at the older man, she gave her answer.

"I'll do it. I'll take the deal. Can you protect me from Gendou and Seele?"

Big Boss nodded. "No one, with the exception of my senior members, as well as the Secretary General and the Prime Minister, know that you are here. At the moment, Seele and Section 2 are following false leads that I've had leaked out. It will keep them going in circles for the moment."

At that moment, there was a knock at the door, followed by Ocelot's voice. "Boss. There's an Angel hovering over the Matsushiro ruins. I've notified the others. We're on our way to the computer room."

"I'll meet you there," Big Boss said. Turning to Ritsuko, he said, "For your own safety and protection, you'll remain here for the time being."

Ritsuko nodded, and Big Boss took his leave, the door locking behind him. Ritsuko sat on the floor, her back against the wall, hugging her knees as she slowly came to terms about her mother's relationship with Gendou Ikari.
---
Nerv Headquarters, The Geofront

The Angel that was currently hovering over the Matsushiro ruins had the appearance of a double-helix.

Armisael, the Angel of the Womb, has come.

It had appeared over the Matsushiro ruins, and soon, would make its way to Tokyo-3 within the hour.

Misato Katsuragi entered the bridge, followed by Naomi Hunter, having returned from the JSSDF Base Haruna. "Status report," the major ordered.

"Reports coming in from the salvage crew at Matsushiro," Hyuuga reported. "It just appeared about 20 minutes ago. Pattern's shifting from blue to orange. I can't get a lock on it."

"Tricky little bastard," Misato muttered.

"Remove Unit One from cryo-stasis and prepare to transport both Unit Zero and Unit One to Matsushiro," Gendou ordered from his desk on the bridge, Fuyutsuki standing beside and behind him. "Classify as the Sixteenth Angel, and prepare to sortie. As of this moment, Pilot Ikari is back on active duty."

At that moment, a volley of rockets appeared on the screen, and detonated around the Angel, just as the pattern had changed back to blue.

"The hell? Who's firing on the Angel?" Misato shouted.

"No reports of JSSDF, or UN forces in that area," Maya replied. She then gasped. "It's that same mecha!"

Sure enough, the massive, Evangelion-sized mecha appeared on screen. Unlike RAYs 1 and 3 which were powered by a mini-fusion reactor, RAY 2 had a working Super Solenoid core, thus allowing it to project an AT-field like the EVAs. The Patriots, having pilfered a working S² Core from a secret Seele facility used to produce the cores for the mass-produced EVAs, right before destroying the facility took it back to Shadow Moses, and installed it inside RAY 2. Having learned from the mistakes of the Nerv facility in Nevada, in which the entire facility had been sucked into a Dirac Sea when they failed to take the proper precautions, The Patriots had successfully installed the core and brought RAY 2 online.

The rockets, however, had the desired effect of provoking the Angel. It had shifted from its double-helix form into a long, thick strand. Breaking apart, the long, wormlike strand found the offending target and retaliated.

RAY 2 raised its AT-field, but the Angel penetrated through it like a hot knife through butter, causing nasty-looking veins to appear, the sign of Angel contamination.
---
At the JSSDF Base Haruna...

"We have contact with the Angel," one of the techs reported as Armisael began to merge with RAY 2.

Big Boss watched the battle, along with Ocelot, and the rest of FOXHOUND on several monitors. Big Boss was well versed in how the EVAs worked, thanks to the JSSDF's hacking of the MAGI, as well as its AT-field capabilities.

Meryl watched the scene in shock. "I swear, I've seen weird stuff before, but nothing like this," she said.

Big Boss chuckled. "You should have been here when the war started months ago. I had a front row seat to the entire thing." He gestured to RAY 2. "One of the facilities we hit were producing the S² cores for the mass-produced Evangelions Seele intended to use to jump-start Third Impact. RAY 2 is designed for this specific purpose: to destroy the final Angel." To the techs, he said, "Invert the AT-field, and push it to maximum."
---
Back in Nerv Headquarters...

"An AT-field!" Misato gasped. "But...how...?"

"It appears that the mecha has a working S² core," Fuyutsuki said as he watched the Angel get absorbed into RAY 2.

"Yes...where are the pilots?" Gendou demanded.

"Inside the Entry Plugs," Fuyutsuki said. "We outfitted Rei's Unit Two with a special battery pack that will allow her an extra fifteen minutes of internal power."

"Good. I want that mecha."
---
JSSDF Base Haruna.

The tech turned to Big Boss. "General, the Angel has been absorbed into RAY 2, and the AT-field is holding."

Big Boss nodded. "Initiate the D-drive on RAY 2. Set it to maximum."

The tech nodded and punched in several keys. "D-drive initiated. Core explosion in T-minus sixty seconds."

"Boss, Matsushiro is close to Tokyo-2," Snake objected. "If you detonate the RAY, you can possibly destroy the city!"

"Tokyo-2 is at least 60 miles away from the testing facility," Big Boss replied. "The core explosion, say it took place in Tokyo-3. At least 70-80 percent of the city will be destroyed, so the blast will be contained. Plus, the mountains surrounding the area will absorb most of the explosion. The Secretary General and the Prime Minister have already been notified."

"I hope you're right," Meryl said. "Seriously. I hope to God you're right."
---
Nerv Headquarters.

Hyuuga had picked up the readings from his console moments later. Turning to Misato, he yelled, "Major! I'm getting readings from the mecha's core! It's going into critical mode!"

"Self-destruct imminent!" Maya shouted, "Core explosion in T-minus ten seconds!"

Misato saw that it would be pointless in launching the EVAs. "EVA Units Zero and One, stand down."

Gendou was about to belay that order when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

"It's pointless now," Fuyutsuki said, as Aoba counted down. "The mecha will be long since destroyed by the time Ikari and Ayanami will arrive. Let the order stand."

"…seven…six…five…four…"

Gendou growled. His scenario had called for Rei to die at the hands of Armisael. But with the destruction of the Dummy System and the Reiquarium, as well as Ritsuko's apparent defection and Asuka vanishing, his scenario was all but shot to hell. "Fine. Major Katsuragi's order will stand."

"...three, two, one," Aoba finished counting down.

Ruins of Nerv Matsushiro Facility.

RAY three spasmed as its core reached critical mass. The Angel, sensing its apparent doom, tried to escape.

But it was too late.

With the force of an N² mine, RAY 2 detonated, taking the remains of Nerv's Matsushiro facility with it, as well as destroying the Angel within its body. The force of the explosion had triggered several earthquakes in the region, which were felt as far as Tokyo-2 and Tokyo-3. Even the JSSDF Base Haruna in which Big Boss was hanging around in felt the tremors.
---
Nerv Headquarters.

The blast caused havoc on the sensors, as well as on the MAGI. It would be at least two minutes before the blinding light would clear.

"Report!" Gendou barked.

"Shockwave's knocked out all the sensors!" Maya shouted. "Wait a minute. Sensors are coming back online." She looked at her monitor. "The Angel is gone, sir. The mecha as well."

Gendou unsteepled his hands and leaned back in his chair. "Only one more Angel left. Then...then I can be with Yui once again," he murmured, looking at the screen. The entire Matsushiro facility was reduced to a giant, smoking crater.

Fuyutsuki wondered whether or not to tell Gendou that the war was over, that the Angel of Free Will had already been destroyed. In the end, he decided that Big Boss and the Patriots were much more scarier than Gendou and Seele, and decided to keep his mouth shut.

Misato got on the horn with the pilots of the two remaining EVAs. "Shinji...Rei...the Angel has been destroyed."

"Well that was easy," came the reply from the Third Child.

"I agree," said the First Child. "Returning to the EVA Cages."
---
JSSDF Base Haruna.

Big Boss entered the interrogation room. Ritsuko had not moved from her spot on the floor. Taking a seat in his chair, Big Boss gave Ritsuko the news. "Thought you would like to know that the war is as of this moment, over. The Angels are no more."

Ritsuko chuckled bitterly. "There's still one more Angel left."

"You mean Tabris, the Angel of Free Will?" Big Boss inquired.

Ritsuko's head snapped up. "What? How did you...?"

"I also have a copy of the War Scrolls in my possession," Big Boss explained. "Not to mention Mr. Kaji is my inside man, who let me know of Seele's intentions. Gendou can still use Unit One and the Lance of Longinus to unleash Third Impact, as well as the forbidden union of ADAM and Lilith. Kaji notified me that he delivered ADAM to Ikari. Where is it?"

"It's...it's grafted onto his right hand," Ritsuko replied. "I performed the procedure myself."

"Damn. Should have shot the other hand," Big Boss muttered.

"You said that there were no more Angels. How did you know about Tabris?" Ritsuko asked.

"Simple. Kaji's clearance as a Seele operative has worked out in my favor. He was to be chosen by the Marduk Institute as the Fifth Child, following Ayanami, Sohryuu, Ikari, and Suzuhara respectively as a replacement pilot for Sohryuu, under the name Kaworu Nagisa."

Ritsuko recognized the name. As Big Boss had mentioned, he was the designated Fifth Child. But he did not show.

"Tabris is dead," Big Boss said. "And a major factor in Seele's plans has been removed." Off Ritsuko's confused expression, Big Boss continued. "Over the world, Seele has been manufacturing parts for twelve mass-produced Evangelion units. The parts were then shipped to Hokkaido, to a hidden facility in Mount Tarumae, where the EVAs were constructed."

Big Boss paused for a moment to allow Ritsuko to make the mental connections. "Seele used the Tarumae facility to build the EVAs. And that mecha that was seen in the city...?"

"The next-generation Metal Gear RAYs," Big Boss said. "Each one outfitted with anti-EVA technology, as you have witnessed in the battle with the Fifteenth Angel. I used the RAYs to attack the facility, and destroyed the EVAs, as well as Tabris. The N² mine was overkill, but it did the job. By removing Seele's trump card in their scheme for Instrumentality, they have no other choice in having to invade the Geofront in order to wrest control of Third Impact from Gendou. Seele knows about the attack on the Tarumae facility, and I'm willing to bet that they would make their move very soon."

He rose from his seat. "I'll have you taken to your temporary quarters. You will be under guard, or course, so don't try to escape. The soldiers have orders to shoot on sight."
---
On the surface...

Shinji had hitched a ride back to his apartment with Misato. Upon arriving at his housing complex, he was greeted with a very unwelcome sight.

Fire engines and the local police department had blocked off access to the apartment, which at the moment, half of the building was in flames.

Unfortunately for Shinji, his apartment was one of the buildings that had caught fire as well, leaving him virtually homeless.

On the bright side, Shinji still had his SDAT player, which was in his backpack.

The tremors that had resulted from RAY 2's explosion in Matsushiro had ruptured a series of gas lines in Shinji's part of town, resulting in four buildings being destroyed by the ensuing blasts. Fortunately, no one was killed in the explosions, since they were in the shelters during Armisael's attack, despite the Angel being miles away.

Shinji watched as the fire engines continued to work putting out the flames.

"Shinji."

The pilot of EVA Unit One turned around. Misato was standing by her car.

"Come on. Let's go home."
---
Katsuragi Asylum for the Drunk and (formerly) Aggressive, later on...

One month earlier, Shinji had moved out of Misato's apartment. Now, as he stood in the empty bedroom which was once his own, the events had come back full circle.

He was once again back in the place he considered to be home.

Misato, after downing three beers, had dozed off. Pen-Pen was happy to see him back, which meant that there would be no more of Misato's weapons-grade curry for him to eat.

A small box was in the corner. Upon inspecting it, Shinji saw that it was a box filled with some of his old clothes. Clothes he had forgotten to take with him following his rushed departure from this place back when Asuka lived here. The clothes were not tampered with, thankfully, allowing Shinji to change into a pair of shorts and a T-shirt after his bath.

The room was bare, Section 2 having removed Asuka's belongings from the apartment on Misato's orders.

However, there were two things that Section 2 had overlooked.

The first, a pair of crimson A-10 neural connectors, obviously belonging to Asuka. The second was a group photo taken shortly before Bardiel's attack at the Matsushiro facility, consisting of himself, Asuka, Rei, Misato and Kaji (done up in the MGS style of artwork), Asuka glomping on Kaji's arm, while Misato and Rei stood on either side of him.

Shinji picked up the photo and the connectors and exited the room. Walking out onto the balcony, Shinji hurled the three items out into the darkness. They landed neatly inside a waste bin, the photo having been sheared in two by a sharp piece of glass, severing Asuka's image from the other four images.

Walking back into his room, Shinji retrieved his SDAT and prepared to play Track 26 when his cellphone rang. Upon looking at the caller ID, he saw that it was Big Boss.

Shinji quickly answered the phone. "Boss?"

"How you doing, kid?" Big Boss' voice replied on the other end.

"I'm doing okay," Shinji replied. "How's things on your end?"

Earlier in the week, Big Boss had left for JSSDF Base Haruna. His explanation to Shinji was that he was training some fresh recruits to the JSSDF and would not be back for two weeks.

"Oh, you know how these training sessions are," the old man replied. "It's like a holiday. Good food, good wine, with lots of dancing girls, and parties."

Shinji laughed at that.
---
JSSDF Base Haruna.

Outside, Big Boss is on his PDA, watching Snake and Meryl practice their CQC. things had calmed down somewhat following the impromptu celebration signaling the conclusion of the Angel Wars. Now, only Seele and Gendou were left.

"I heard what had happened with Sohryuu," Big Boss continued.

"I'm not," Shinji replied. "You taught me that you fight only to survive. Sohryuu is the other extreme. She was more than willing to screw mankind over for personal glory. Then she had the Nerve to blame her screw-ups on me. Such a hypocrite."

"Shinji...I'm going to tell you something that I've told my son and my former pupil," Big Boss said. "We're not tools of the government, or anyone else for that matter. For me, I've always been good at fighting. But the difference is that I always fight for what I believe in. That's the difference between yourself and Sohryuu. You don't pilot not to satisfy your ego, or even to hear praise from your father. You pilot to defend all of humanity. For that, you have earned my respect."

He looked at his watch. "It's getting late, young Ikari. Time to call it a night. You have school in the morning."

"I know, I know," Shinji replied. "I'll see you when you come back. Take care of yourself, Boss."

"You too, Shinji," Big Boss replied as he ended the call.
---
The following morning, Big Boss, along with Ocelot, Ritsuko Akagi, and the two senior commanders of FOXHOUND, held a private conference with the Secretary General of the United Nations and the Prime Minister of Japan.

It was a video conference, held on a secure line. Should Seele try and listen in, Big Boss had taken precautions. The signal was garbled, mixed in with that of a local radio station in Tokyo-2.

The Patriots and their guest were inside the conference room on base. In front of them, were three monitors. The monitor on the left had the U.N. Secretary General. The one on the right was that of the Japanese Prime Minister. The last monitor was blank.

"Gentlemen, I thank you for answering my call on such short notice," Big Boss said. "As of yesterday evening, 1800 hours local time, the Sixteenth Angel, codenamed Armisael, has been successfully destroyed. The Angel Wars is now over. However, there is still the matter of both Seele and Nerv Supreme Commander Gendou Ikari. With the destruction of Armisael, Seele will more than likely use the Haven Shock Troops to invade the Geofront, should they fail to get the JSSDF to launch the assault."

"Big Boss, do you have a timetable?" the Secretary General asked. "When will Seele launch their attack?"

"We don't know," Big Boss replied. "But we do know where the Haven Troops are currently stationed, should Seele needs them to attack. And it appears that Seele is not taking any chances, since they are going to bring the full brunt of their forces upon the Geofront and Tokyo-3; five combat combat units, easily outnumbering the JSSDF's three."

A nod to Otacon and Mei Ling, both behind their laptops, and a picture came up on the third monitor. A satellite photo of the Korean Peninsula. In the violent turmoil following Second Impact, the Communist North had declared war on the Democratic South. The ensuing war between the two Koreas had ended in a victory for South Korea, thanks to the untimely demise of the Communist leadership, thus throwing the country into chaos.

Most of the northern part of Korea lay deserted. Perfect for Seele for an operations base for their Haven Troopers.

"This was taken three hours ago," Big Boss explained. "Seele is preparing for their final assault in order to wrest control of Third Impact from Gendou Ikari. This next photo is very disturbing."

Disturbing indeed, as it showed the black-and-red EVA, practicing with what appears to be a heavy lance. The next photo was that of the lance shifting into an even more deadly weapon; the Lance of Longinus.

"Is that an EVA?" the Prime Minister asked.

"Yes, Mr. Minister," Ritsuko replied. "Evangelion Unit Five, an advanced prototype of the production model EVA. This one has been outfitted with not only a fully functional S² core, but it is also armed with a replica of the Lance of Longinus, a weapon powerful enough to penetrate even the strongest AT-field."

"Who is the pilot of Unit Five?" the Secretary General demanded.

Next to the satellite photos, a dossier of Asuka appeared.

"Asuka Langley Sohryuu, former pilot of Unit Two," Ritsuko explained. "Father's American, named Daniel Langley, mother's 1/4 German and 1/4 Japanese, former Gerhin researcher Kyouko Zeppelin Sohryuu. Child prodigy with a 172 IQ. Was stripped of her duties as an EVA pilot and disavowed following several incidents, which led to her attacking the First Child, Pilot Rei Ayanami and the Third Child, Pilot Shinji Ikari. Diagnosed as a sociopath with an inferiority complex. She was to be sent back to Germany following her dismissal, but it is now apparent that Keel had her brought to him to pilot the EVA, in order to back the Haven Troops' invasion of the Geofront, not to mention that she has a score to settle with Pilot Ikari."

"Does Commander Ikari know about the fate of Tabris?" the Prime Minister asked.

"No. He's still expecting the final Angel to appear," Big Boss replied. "Which is why I propose we execute 'Susanoo's Wrath.'"

"Go on," the Secretary General said.

Big Boss laid out his plan. "My plan is this. We can't order a full-scale evacuation, because Seele will catch wind of it, and move their timetable up, so we'll use the air raid alarm to send the people into the shelters once we know that the FROGS are on their way. As long as the people are out of the way, then the FROGS won't hurt them. Then we move the JSSDF into position inside the Geofront, and fortify the defenses, while evacuating all non-military personnel. The U.N. crack troops can defend the city and the shelters from the Haven Troopers. There are may ways one can enter the Geofront, so that means we can't police them all. We will make our stand with the EVAs and Metal Gear RAYs. While the battle is going on, I will blow the lid off of Second Impact and expose Seele and Gendou Ikari."

"And Doctor Akagi?" the Prime Minister asked.

"For the past couple of hours, she has been forthcoming with vital information in regards to Nerv, the Evangelions, and the Geofront in general," Big Boss explained. "In exchange for the immunity deal we have offered her, she has agreed to help us."

"Is that true, Doctor?" the Prime Minister asked

Ritsuko nodded. "Yes. Certain evidence regarding my mother, Doctor Naoko Akagi has been brought to life by General Hayter," she said. "It is apparent that Gendou Ikari had drove my mother to suicide, not to mention that he has been using me as well."

"Consider yourself lucky, Doctor Akagi," the Secretary General said, "that you decided to defect to Big Boss' side." Turning to Big Boss, he said, "Boss, I trust you with my life."

"As do I," the Prime Minister said.

"You have the full backing of the United Nations armed forces," the Secretary General said. "You may commence 'Susanoo's Wrath' when the time comes. Good luck, and Godspeed."

"Good luck, Boss," the Prime Minister said.

"The both of you have my thanks," Big Boss said.

With that, the conference was over.

Following the meeting, Big Boss met with his inner circle, which consisted of the three JSSDF generals, FOXHOUND, and Ocelot.

Big Boss made his announcement. "I have received word that the JSSDF forward base near Futagoyama has been complete. Send the word to the rest of the troops. We will move there, since it's closer to Tokyo-3. In the meantime, we have to set up a ruse for Zero and Seele to think that this base is occupied." He turned to Otacon an Mei Ling. "Can you two send out fake communiques that Seele can pick up? Make it look like that there's a build-up of troops arriving at Haruna."

Mei Ling nodded. "Consider it done, General."

"So how are we going to pull this off, Boss?" Ocelot asked.

"Easy. We move in the dead of night," Big Boss explained. "The forward base is disguised as a civilian airport, so Seele nor Gendou will bat an eye." He looked at his watch. "We will begin tonight at 2345 hours. From here on out, we are at Stage Two battle alert. Dismissed."
Sign up to rate and review this story