Categories > Celebrities > 30 Seconds to Mars > The Volcanologist

Rescue Mission

by Mazwe 0 reviews

Shannon and the team realise that Jared's theory could be correct, and that he is now in grave danger. They fly to Lassen Peak and hope they are not too late

Category: 30 Seconds to Mars - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2012-07-13 - Updated: 2012-07-13 - 741 words - Complete

0Unrated
I feel sick to my stomach as we run to the roof of the building. When I explained it to Dannielle and Luke, they wasted no time calling a helicopter. We didn't go into full detail with our superior, only telling him that there was a potential problem with Lassen Peak and that we had to go there immediately. He didn't question it.

We all try and get hold of Jared, but his phone is switched off.

With no way to contact him, all we can do is fly. The helicopter whips our hair as we climb in and instruct the pilot to fly as quickly as possible to our destination.

I keep getting these horrible thoughts in my head. I hope we're not too late. The first thing we have to do is get Jared in the helicopter with us, then we'll concentrate on what we can do to close the park.

If it costs me my job, then so be it.

At the moment, I hope Jared is safe. I've never been more worried about him, or angry with him. At the moment, I want to kill him for being so stupid, but I don't want him to die! Not like this, not with so many things unsaid...

It takes us over an hour to get there. Luckily the park is quiet today, with only about 10 people viewing it. That's not including Jared, who stands alone just a few metres from the bottom of the mountain.

We keep our distance and stay airbourne the entire time, ensuring a quick escape if we need it. I'd rather the escape route include all of us! Floating low, Dannielle pulls out the loudspeaker and tries to talk some sense into my younger brother.

"Jay? Its Danni! Turn around and let me know you can hear me."

There was no doubt in my mind he'd heard the approaching helicopter and assumed it was us, but he turns around to let Dannielle know.

"Jay, you have to get away from that thing! Its gonna blow! You were right!"

He shakes his head.

"Shannon, keep talking to him!" She hands me the loudspeaker. "Luke, lower me down!"

"Dannielle, no! He's my brother! I'll go!"

"Shan, with the mood he's in, he probably wouldn't listen to you."

I can't argue with her. All I can do is watch with fear as my colleague is lowered the short distance to the ground and approaches my younger brother. I hope she can work her magic quickly.

They talk, Jared looks back to the helicopter and shakes his head. They talk some more. After 2 minutes, Dannielle looks at the helicopter and shrugs her shoulders. I know what that means: "Why aren't you talking to him?"

"Jared? Jay, please come over now. I am sorry for not listening to you. Its a great theory. But if you are right, you are way too close to that thing! Its not a volcano! Its a lava dome! Yes its fascinating to look at, but if you stay there, it will kill you both! And I don't want that!"

He looks back at the mountain, before looking at the helicopter again. He shouts something back to the helicopter, which we can't hear over the noise of the engine. Dannielle comes running back.

"He said 'You've neglected your family. You're not fascinated, you're obsessed'."

Maybe he's right about me. Have I been neglecting my family?

"OK Jared, as much as it pains me to say it, you're right. But listen, you've just endangered Danni's life, and you have no right to do that. But if you're theory is correct and that thing blows, it won't erupt like a volcano, it will explode like a bomb! And I know you'll want to be alive so you can tease me forever about it. So please come back now! I'll tell you all about it."

I don't know if that will persuade him. Does he want me to tell him about something like that? Would that freak him out? Does he even care about it anymore? He takes one last look at the mountain before running back towards the helicopter as quick as he can.

We pull him in as he apologises to us all.

The helicopter starts moving. But before we instruct the helicopter pilot to fly towards the entrance to see if we can evacuate the park, we hear something. Something that doesn't sound good...
Sign up to rate and review this story