Categories > Anime/Manga > Saiyuki

Uncomfortable Salvation

by fireun 0 reviews

It was the smiles that did it, the worshipful glimmer in their eyes.

Category: Saiyuki - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Characters: Genjyo Sanzo - Published: 2006-07-10 - Updated: 2006-07-11 - 505 words - Complete

4Ambiance
Disclaimer- dont own the boyo. just borrowing him for the moment. no profit made.





It was the smiles that did it, the worshipful glimmer in their eyes.

It made him sick to his stomach, inspired immediate indigestion, and prompted nic fits of legendary proportions. "Tch." Sanzo snatched the last cigarette, crumpling the pack in a petty act of destruction as he lit.

He could hear them, just outside his room; an inane titter of hope. Bastards were just too lazy to take care of things themselves. And his damn fool companions were basking in it, hoping for a free meal. Of course the great Genjo Sanzo would help them with their problems. It would be his pleasure to save them all from whatever plagued them.

It wasn't cowardice that made Sanzo wonder if he could slip out the back and be long gone before anyone noticed. It was a perverse desire to see if Gojyo could talk his way out of having to pony up payment for room and board. Hard to get by when you didn't have the Sanzo's services to barter with.

It was passing thought. He wouldn't make it two steps before the damn monkey would figure it out. Goku had to be some sort of idiot savant. Couldn't take care of his self at all, but was always too damn perceptive when it came to his beloved Sanzo. Sanzo sneered, more of an attempt to take the honest emotion out of the thought than any actual derision.

Goku would chase after him, horrified and hurt that his friend had tried to leave. Hakkai would look at him with those sad, too damn knowing eyes, and Gojyo would try his best not to look like a dog that had been kicked and left one too many times.

Sanzo shifted his position on the bed, knocking ash onto the floor with casual frustration. He was their solution, the center to their screwed up worlds. It was never said, never expressed in anything but snide comments and bitter squabbling, but they were each relieved in their own way to be around him, to belong somewhere.

They were as bad as the horde waiting for him to emerge from the room. "Well, isn't that a bitch." Sanzo murmured around his cigarette. No one had taken the time to tell the idiots that the great Sanzo had his share of problems.

And Sanzo damn well wasn't going to take it upon himself to tell them.

It would be admitting to the fact he was terrified of leaving the seclusion of his rented room, to face the hopeful townspeople and perhaps be faced with something he couldn't fix, someone he couldn't save.

Ignorance was bliss, and denial was an art form.

Sanzo inhaled deeply, deciding that he would seek salvation and wisdom at the bottom of the can of beer he had settled on the nightstand. Maybe by the time he was done everyone would have given up on him and gone home.

At least for tonight.
Sign up to rate and review this story