Categories > TV > Doctor Who

Changing lives

by AncientGallifrey 0 reviews

Liz Shaw has a mysterious dream. Although it may imply more than she would want it too.....

Category: Doctor Who - Rating: G - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2012-07-31 - Updated: 2012-07-31 - 822 words

0Unrated
“You are Elizabeth Shaw; nothing can ever change that.”
I stumble through the foliage towering around me. Brambles snag at my heels, threatening to trip me up, but I just keep on persisting. My arms aimlessly try and batter the draping vines out of my path, but they eventually just trudge back. All this time, his words echo through my mind.
Who was he? I wonder. His words were simple, but I know they have a concealed meaning. My ragged breaths become increasingly shorter, as I struggle to gasp my breath. There is a saying; a scientist must never give up. Whoever came up with that idea mustn’t have known much about Science. My eyes begin to blur with pain, as I can hear the sound of my body screeching for me to stop. A thumping materializes, threatening to break free out of my mind. However I ignore these signs, and carry on blundering through the vast scenery. I don’t know why, but I have to keep running, if I don’t I feel like I might…… die.
My eyes flutter open, as I regain consciousness. My vision is still slightly affected, and I can’t quite make out the figures in the room. However voices begin to reach my ears, and I try and sift them out to make some sense of them.
Are you positive? The Brigadier asks sharply.
Yes, I’m afraid it is a brain tumour, the readings are clear. The Specialist replies sorrowfully.
Is there anything you can do for her then? The Brigadier fires back.
Well usually there is the option of radiotherapy, surgery etc. But in this case it’s too late too do anything.
Is this really what’s wrong with me? The realisation hits me, threatening to overwhelm me. Is all what’s been happening to me lately, really because of this? I begin to recall my dream, endlessly running through a vast jungle. Then I remember the most prominent part of the dream, which repeated itself the whole time.
“You are Elizabeth Shaw; nothing can ever change that.”
Was he referring to this, I wonder? But who could this man possibly be, I’ve never seen him before, yet I seem to recognise him…
I suddenly snap out of my thoughts, forgetting that I was trying to make out what they were saying, and begin to listen again, but only catching the end of the conversation.
“How long will she live?” The Brigadier questions him, more softly this time.
“It’s possible she may only live a few more days, weeks at the most.” The specialist replies.
“If only the Doctor was still here… The brigadier mumbles half to himself.
I’m the Doctor! I am qualified enough thank you very much, the specialist replies offended.
“Sorry, I didn’t mean that, I was referring to someone else…” The Brigadier hastily replies.
“Anyway, the important thing is to remember she is still alive, and she still is Elizabeth Shaw. However ill she may be nothing can ever change that...” The specialist softly remarks.
I almost jerk upwards in shock, is it really a coincidence? The specialist is a Doctor, and the man in my dream I seemed to recognize, yet I’d never seen him before. Could the man in my dream, really be the Doctor after all these years? He never forgot me, even after my foolish leaving of UNIT so long ago, without even saying goodbye to him? He even managed to make a telepathic connection with me. I think I understand now….
Oddly, my vision has now perfectly cleared, and I sit up, feeling a little groggy but otherwise all right. Their attention has now turned to me, and the specialist helps me up. I can sense awkwardness in the specialist’s voice as he tries to explain the dreadful news, but he doesn’t seem to find the words. Before he can think of anything to say, I interrupt.
“Thank you.” I warmly say.
He steps back, astounded at my statement. Instead the Brigadier tries to tell me, thinking I don’t understand. “Look, Liz…..”
“I know, but thank you for helping me to understand. Thanks to you, I now understand what the Doctor was trying to tell me.” I reply.
“You’ve had contact with the Doctor?!” The Brigadier asks amazed.
But then he corrects himself saying, “Well it was always wrong to underestimate him…” He remembers fondly.
“In a manner of speaking Brigadier, yes.” I smile.
I see what he meant now, whatever illness I may have, however deadly it may be, I will always be myself. Just because I may not be in full health, I will always have my friends there beside me to support me. Even when there is only a glimmer of hope, I shouldn’t give up, just as he never did too.
After all, I am Elizabeth Shaw.




.

Sign up to rate and review this story