Categories > Original > Fantasy > Shadow of the Moon

small cave

by redtyrant 0 reviews

His dreams of living out his life in peace where engulfed in the same flames that engulfed his village. The fires were no accident. They were caused by the bloodthirsty bandits who killed all who l...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fantasy, Horror, Romance - Warnings: [V] [X] - Published: 2006-07-11 - Updated: 2006-07-12 - 1162 words

1Original
Rosco gently set the unconsious morph down on the smooth ground of the cave. He tried to make the mix breed as comfortable as he could. Then he slowly straightened up from his crouched position; nearly knocking himself unconsious because of the low ceiling of the cave.

Everything about the cave was smaller then he remembered. But that was only because he much bigger then the last time he visited his secret hideaway. That was a very long time ago.

He stopped himself from reminsing about his pup years. He didn't have time for it. It was all the past now, and what was the use on dwelling on it.

He had to find firewood, water, and food for the night. That shouldn't be too hard for the wolf morph. All he needed to remember was to not bump his head against the low ceiling again.

-------:)(:-----------

Once Rosco got the fire wood, he started a fire in the center of the small cave. He had his kill skinned and cooking on pike over the flames. He dug through his pack for anything that could be used as bandages. Finding an old shirt that seen better days, he carried it and his waterbag over to the sleeping morph.

The wolf sat to one side of the smaller male, examining the other with his eyes then his hands. He checked for both broken and cracked bones. He found none, but he did find numerous scrapes, cuts, and gashes on the puma-mix. He checked the other's head for any bump, and the male's eyes for any signs of a concussion. No bumps and the puma's pupils looked normal. Then Rosco checked the other's mouth. The mix breed had a healthy set of teeth, but the inside of his mouth was pale and dry.

Dehydration ended up being a real killer, and the poor beast was obviously dehydrated. There was no telling how long he went without water, muchless food.

Deciding what to do first was a difficult decision. Should he treat the morph's wounds first or try to get some water into him?

Rosco decided to get some water into the younger male first.

Quietly, he crept closer to the other male's head and sat with his legs around him. Gently, he lifted and pulled the smaller male closer to him until the other's head rested on his left shoulder. He cradled the smaller male's body with his own, and his left arm was wrapped underneath the puma mix's arm and snugly across the morph's chest; thus leaving the wolf's right arm and hand free. He took his waterbag and uncorked it using his mouth.

As gentle as before, he eased open the younger male's mouth to allow the waterbag's spout in. Slowly, he tipped the bag up, just allowing a little water to trickle inside. He lowered the waterbag to see if the younger morph was swallowing what little water he gave him. Rosco didn't want to risk the other morph accidently drown because of his good intentions.

He let go of the breath he didn't know he was holding when he saw the furry throat move. He tipped the bag again to allow more water to flow in. He was about to lower the bag when a hand grasped his, keeping the bag from moving.

Wide-eyed, he watched stunned as the smaller morph tried to guzzle down all the water that was left in the bag. Never once did the other open his eyes.

"Hey, hey! Not so fast!" Rosco worriedly barked, taking back control over the waterbag, "You'll make yourself sick!"

It literally tore him up inside when the puma-mix let out a low, pleading whining. The wolf was torn. Instincts told him to comfort the younger male and give over the water, but logic reared its ugly head. He knew if the puma drunk the water too fast then it would be sick and would probably mean a setback in recovery.

Rosco couldn't have that. So he did the next best thing. He nuzzled and rocked the male in his arms, trying to soothe him and quiet his whine.

"Shh... It's all right..." he cooed in the other's furry ear, "I'll give you some more water, but you have to take it easy. I don't want to get sick. After that last bit of water, I have ta take care of your wounds."

Evidently, the younger male could hear him in his unconscious state and stopped whining. He nuzzled into the wolf shoulder with a small sigh. He took the waterbag's spout back into his mouth and drunk what Rosco allowed him to have. Then he settled back into his healing sleep. All the while this happened, he didn't open his eyes.

Rosco let out a sigh of his own as he gentle removed himself from beneath the puma-mix. He then went to work on the morph's wounds. He took the water he had set aside in the bowls, which came from his pack, and set them next to him. He took his old shirt and started to tear it into strips for bandages. He laid his bandages to the side, keeping a strip for cleaning the wounds.

By the time he was through cleaning and wrapping the major injuries, his food was done. He was also tired and faced another decision. Should he wake the smaller morph and try to get some food into to him? Or should he wait until the other woke on his own?

The wolf decided to leave the puma-mix alone. The younger morph probably needed the sleep more then the food at the moment. His body had gone through a trama, it need time to recover.

So, Rosco ate alone. But he didn't eat all of his kill, he left some for the other. Hopefully the younger morph would wake soon.

Rosco clean up what little mess he left in the cave, threw another stick into the fire, and tucked his only blanket around the sleeping morph. He then stepped over the sleeping one, nearly hitting his head again on the low ceiling. He made sure the younger male was behind him and the cave's mouth was in front of him. He curled up with his head resting on his crossed arms. He slipped into a resting mediative state, not a sleeping one; he felt as if he needed to be on guard.

The warrior inside of him found someone to protect once again. The lonesome dreamer found someone that could possibly bring a new hope for a new life.

For now, Rosco wasn't so empty inside anymore.

--------(::)--------------
a/n: By also looking at Romulus's teeth, Rosco could guess how old the other morph was.


Wulf: Iiieee! I finally done it. I finally got through this chapter!

Romulus: still unconscious

Rosco: Yeah finally! When are we going to get the good part? If you know what I mean? leers at the unconscious Romulus

Wulf: ^_^; Later...
Sign up to rate and review this story