Categories > Games > World of Warcraft > Joft-troll shaman

Meeting Athrum

by Keyboard 0 reviews

Joft is just trying to finish his shaman training soon he finds out that his cousin has married out of fraction, he is looking for love and dealing with the effects of the elemental upheaval. Just ...

Category: World of Warcraft - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2012-08-14 - Updated: 2012-08-14 - 1303 words - Complete

0Unrated
Athrum returned from a long hunt, her pack animal was heavily burdened with meat and hides. The other hunters helped her carry all the things into the storage hut and than made their ways to their homes. She ran her hand over her tail of hair which she had kept in a braid during the hunt, she sat down on the large log that sat around the large fire that was only warm coals. Her brain instantly went to the moment she had discovered the love of her life had a wife and they were sitting together on this very spot. One of the many events that had changed her life to this strange and lonely path. She had no children to tend, no hearth to keep nor no husband to keep warm at night.

Karga appeared at her side making her jump, the woman laughed at her. “We have a visitor,” she stated quietly glancing toward the inn. “Went to the Throne and the guard said he was talking in a strange language to the elements there.”

“Why are you telling me this?” Athrum asked letting her hand drop from her face. “There have been many travelers to our lands, since Thrall had visited Grandmother.” Part of the reason she was always out on hunting trips, she couldn’t handle all the strangeness that they brought to their lands. She was still heartbroken and needed time to find herself. Not that she had done any soul searching while hunting game. The other part, there wasn’t a lot of clansmen able to do their part due to other responsibilities to the clan.

“Because he is ugly as all get out,” she stated her eyes not moving from the dark inn. “Not like the green skinned orcs that have been running around here. Tall too, with tusks about half the length of my arm. All skinny.”

“You really enjoy the whole gossip thing don’t you.”

“It isn’t gossip, I am just spreading the news of what is going on,” she snapped defensively as she rose to her feet. “You are always in such a bad mood when you return.”

“Because I am tired,” Athrum whispered to the back of her clansmen. “Maybe if you helped do some of the hunting I wouldn’t have to go out every time.” She let out a breath and shook her head, Karga would just come up with some other strange reason she couldn’t go out. Eventually, she would run out of reasons. Athrum was waiting for the day and find some way to enjoy it. She pushed her body off the log and returned to her parents house, and went straight to bed.

Joft woke in better spirits than he had been in many moons, he felt like his old self again. He sat up and stroked a tusk as he peered around the circular space. Most of the beds were now empty, the innkeeper was starting a fire in the pit in the middle of the room. She glanced over and gave him a nod. It took him a while to figure that she was indeed an orc with brown flesh. All those he had known were green due to the demon blood they consumed or something like that. He rose to his feet and moved toward her. “Good morning, shaman. Are you feeling better?” she asked in orcish.

“Dat I am, dank ya for ya help,” he answered.

She blinked at him as her brain absorbed the thickly accent words and nodded. “You are free to go about the lands if you are not planning to leave.”

“Nah, I want da look around,” he said heading toward the doorway. He stepped out in the cool morning air, with a deep breath of gratitude. He was very happy he had listened to his cousin and her mate about traveling here. He mentally attuned himself with the spirits of the elements as he moved about the village.

Athrum stopped short near the family garden as the stranger was being shown around by the local shaman. She was giggling and carrying on like a love sick girl. Athrum’s eyes took in the visitors long skinny, slightly hunched over body, it was strange and savage looking. Which oddly appealed to her, his gaze met hers for a long moment and he smiled around the insanely long tusks jetting from his jaw. She found herself returning the gesture than caught herself and went about her business. She didn’t need this in her life. She just didn’t need anything beyond her numbness.

After the long tour of the peaceful village, Joft thanked the shaman for her time and turned to leave. He found himself face to face with the young female who had smiled at him earlier. She was heavily burdened with a side of carcass she was bringing to the shaman’s hut. “Get out of my way or I’ll rip off your tusks and beat you with them,” she threatened.

Joft stepped out of the way, the shaman inside was scolding the woman for her rude behavior. He kept walked out of the village and paused near the lake, his eyes fell upon the stone formation on the other side. He felt the peace and power that was still fresh from the night before. He closed his eyes and settled on the bank to listen to the elements around him. Soft footsteps approached and he shifted slightly, glancing over his shoulder at a different female. The female was much like any other orc that he had encountered, she was broad and stocky, her brown skin was lighter than most of the orcs here. Delicate tusks protruded from her lower jaw and she sported a full head of hair which was brushing her shoulders. “I hope you are not taken to dislike our rather rude Athrum,” she said sitting beside him without being invited. “She has a thorn in her side the size of an cliffhoof.”

“Is dat so? Who might you be, mon?”

“Karag,” she said eyeing him with some intensity. “You talk funny.”

Joft shook his head. “Be da language, ya know. Don’t be worried about me, I be use to the harsh ways of da orc.”

Karag hummed thoughtfully and jumped when her name was bellowed from near the village wall. She glanced over but didn’t move to acknowledge the caller. “You have been around the orcs much than? Those strange green skinned ones?”

“All my life,” he answered as the ignored orc thundered toward the pair. “Dey saved da Darkspear trolls from enslavement. Thrall be a force for good for my people, gave us a place to call home and an unity we call da Horde.”

“You were slaves?”

The pair turned to the orc who had stopped in her tracks, her gaze shifted to Karag. “Your father is looking for you. Like I don’t have enough to do I have to play messenger.” She made a gesture toward the village. “Go before I kick you there.”

“Ahh, Athrum you are always a delight to have around.”

“Maybe if you do your part in helping around here I wouldn’t be so grumpy,” she called after Karag’s retreating form. Athrum glanced at the troll for a moment. A question lingered on her lips for a moment than she turned and walked away.

Joft frowned watching her, the woman was nothing but a bundle of harshness. He frowned as his gaze fell upon the water in front of him, it was getting old to find woman that was so out of touch of their gifts as females. Everyone wants to be so strong and unwilling to lean on another for aid. Was he any different?
Sign up to rate and review this story