Categories > Original > Drama

New Perspective

by airamdarlingg 0 reviews

CEO 'has-been' Landon Chapman looses everything until one day his intern wakes up in the year 1999 to go back and fix all past mistakes her boss had made before he'd make the mistake of losing it all.

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama,Sci-fi - Published: 2012-08-26 - Updated: 2012-08-26 - 3355 words

0Unrated
so story is sort of still in the makes of being almost perfect. editing is hard guys, but here we go i guess and sorry that it's boring and and but i'm not sorry idek

--


It was the final day to return the sealed letter full of signatures declaring by law that the owner's property were to be closed down until any sort of amount of cash pops up. He can already vision the foreclosed sign being slammed down in front of his nice, expensive condo on a cliff near a crystal clear lake. The scent of a morning dew will soon be forgotten. The sight of breathing in a new morning outside of his balcony will give him no reason to look forward to things. These were his last chances of taking the grown up responsibilities and paying on time just to make it through as a well manageable barely thirty-one years of age; an adult. His birthday had barely reminded him.

He waits once last time in the office and looks around, making sure nothing else will be left behind. There are still dust outlines of his framed pictures of many of his favorite jazz artists since he was into that kind of music. Those frames were never brought down since the day he moved into his office as the brand new CEO after the CEO before him passed away from an sudden death. He still remembers that feeling of responsibility and power he had over the whole music industry of the state of Minnesota. At times when he knew business was doing well, he sat down in his big, leather office recliner chair, smoke a cigar and declare himself as one of the music God's. He won't be able to afford that cigar anymore either.

Now looking back at how everything had ended and fallen into a big pile of dog crap, the feeling he had before worsened. A sickening feeling inside of his gut tightened up. The fear of never being able to purchase anything without having to have most of his credit cards cancelled irked him. The thought of going on a date and not being able to be the gentlemen to pay because he was in debt sounded as worse as being foreclosed. He couldn't call his dad. It would be a shame to have your once wealthy son beg for money just to get enough to at least get in a motel for a few nights. The struggle to provide himself the hard way never crossed his mind before it all fell down hill. He didn't think not once he'd run out of money. At some point he did have a backup plan in case the worse had come, but it was thought of as a mere joke. That no guy like him could ever be as broke as a bum.

And then the news will definitely cover this first thing tomorrow morning. But instead of him being the one to broadcast the news to the other news anchors, it was going to be Scott Hefner, his enemy, his competition, the one who loathed him from that start. And speaking of Scott, his head peers out of the door and with a joyful smile, he said, "Your things are with Ada. Just thought you should know." You can tell he held back choking laughs in his throat. "Sorry about how things had to turn out this way, but that's just how life goes." And you can definitely tell he wasn't too apologetic about it either. Scott was the type to brag in your face until you tell him something mean before he gets offended and starts a long chain of resent towards you. He was also the type you'd really want to step up to and insult his mother because of how close the two have with one another.

Landon Chapman, who just turned thirty one, the 'has-been', gave a long last sighs of good-bye to the love of his life. He knew at some point he could go back and make things alright again, but being in debt was the longest progresses in the economic history. He might as well go back to college and get a bachelors’ degree to become that boring 'has-been' history teacher that no one likes because of his eccentric personality and how no one really followed the type of style he had. Back in his times of high school, he never dreamed to have made this far. He never even dreamed of having his own stylist. Well, up until now. He thought he'd be the loser in college not getting any girls with late-night studying and his crazy obsession of music drawing into his head like catchy radio-tunes. It was still like that nowadays but he couldn't have any kind of bravery to admit it to himself. Or at least it didn't matter anymore whether he was brave or not despite of all the things happening in his financial life right now.

Later on, Landon appears at the door of Ada Greene, his quiet, logical intern. She had thankfully been home for a while after receiving a call to have a free day off from work. And as she opens the door to her heart broken boss, she finally realized that men had emotions too. For the first time since years, Landon finally let those man tears roll down his face like a sad rainy day. And the first thing she received for the first time was a sudden embrace of this man-child she once called her boss. And as well as a few sobs and incomprehensive cries of "I can't believe this is happening why this happening oh my god is", she had to come out of her comfort zone sometime soon.

Once he had settled down, the two sat around her living room watching some reality show about pregnant teens and the ignorance they all seem to share, being young and oblivious to the fortunes they don't appreciate with all the fame. A vanilla flavored ice cream bucket is being passed between the two with their own spoons scraping the last of the scoops, almost like the exact relationship with a girl and her girl friends. Landon didn't think of it as similar to that, being in debt and all. Ada seemingly didn't mind this moment of bonding with her boss in one of his roughest times of his young life. She was almost relieved. Now that her own boss had been fired from his job, she could possibly be living off of the government since she had no word for being technically fired as well. Or at least that's how the system goes, she hopes.

"God that girl is a whore!"

The occasional commentary Landon went throughout the show gave Ada weird vibes. It feels like her distant cousin from the hood had came down to hang out with her. Ada sat back and watched the shake of Landon's head when one of the teens had done something incredibly unmanageable or had left their child unattended in front of the camera. Ada cared less whether the one of the babies had fallen out of their cribs, but to know that Landon had a peculiar interest into a young girls life on television threw her off of what they really needed to focus on. It seemed arrogant to bring it up in the spite of an odd moment, but something had to be said.

"So what's next?" Ada made sure her eyes looked precisely interested into the last scoops of her ice cream.

Landon picks up the control and presses the guide button to change the screen towards the guide menu. "... Pimp my ride."

"Not that."

Landon knew what she meant. He didn't dare bring up those thoughts of having to be moneyless for a good while. But knowing his intern, his very onto- the- point and well-regarded intern, he had to take the responsibility to clean up the mess he started. Metaphorically speaking of course.
"I’m not even sure anymore. The whole thing feels like a blur." And a quick blur it was. The whole foreclosure process started almost two months ago. Back when business went well and everyone was happy with the positions they were in. Back when Landon couldn't think a single flaw that could ultimately ruin his career. But also back when he was a little money hungry at times. Everything had to be bought new in his hands. "It’s going to be a while to pay some things back."

"You should start looking for your receipts. That’s a good place to start."

Of course. That’s what counts, right? Landon thinks. But receipts were nothing but pieces of paper to him. There wasn't any need to save those receipts. All of them were neatly organized into scans compressed into computer files that Ada once had to keep up with until she couldn't handle the schedules she once had to squeeze in aside from aiding Landon’s errands and other pointless things he made her do. The computer, who's owned by the music company, is basically nothing in relation to him. It was just a computer he once used and now it's not.

Landon stood up, his back weak and fell backwards onto the couch. Ada could sense the hopelessness he was feeling. She felt some pity for him. But not enough to consolidate him anymore. In her sense, no one told Landon to do things in a certain way. He was already old enough to do it himself and keeping bills in line was a top priority. Nothing could've made him fall out of line with all his possessions he owned and if he wanted to own them any longer, he'd want to take care of the bills first. It’s basically the skills they taught you back in your home economics class in high school. Ada had no doubt in him during those times. But watching this man crumbling with fear and regret, she was astounded as he was when the first letter of notice come out...

Two months ago...

The streets bustles with young, adoring fans crowding around the outside of the studio where a live band performance is to take place. Their prolific shouts agonized the construction workers busying about the elongated sidewalks of Minneapolis. A camera rolls around the studio, a group of young people fall silent when an attractive platinum blonde greets the camera with a bright smile and enough enthusiasm to pump up a crowd of a thousand people. She starts off with the introduction of the start of the band who took the stage minutes before. The timing for shouts of joy and applause held in counts. And finally she ushers in the excitement to see the band perform and the crowd’s shouts and claps and the camera swishes overhead of the stage inside of the studio and the loud crashing of 4 measures of the cymbals sounds off the band. Everyone is up on their feet and clapping along to the somewhat high and lows of the rhythms.
The singer is somewhat attractive, but the bassist, the spotlight for the band, had the girls to his feet. He had already appeared in those teeny bop magazines. Every girl from age thirteen to sixteen had his face plastered on their walls, worshiping it every moment of their crazed lives. In the industry, there's a certain age appeal some bands bring in. bands such as green day, Blink 182 and Simple Plan drew to the fan base of girls being either sixteen or over. A band, such as this one filled with catchy songs and annoying choruses, attracted those who were into those pop-ish music you hear on the radio and the kind that makes you want to rip your hair off of your scalp from how much airplay it receives each hour.

As soon as the performance is over, a break between six to seven minutes is interrupted for commercials so the band could get off stage, take a drink or two and polish their selves up for the next part of the show; the interviews. The moment every lovesick girl awaits. To judge on whose personality is prettier than their appearance and who was the douchebag of the band and which band mate had the most groupies and why they do what they do. If the band were smart, they'd start off with a charming side, a comical side or a 'nice-guy-who-doesn't-drink-or-do-drugs'. When they're back on air, the blonde host is finally sitting by the band each holding a mic of their own. The guys look pleasantly honored to be in such a legendary place. The host asked a few simple questions such as 'how did the band get started' and 'did you think you would get this far?' and received some well thought out responses. The bassist was the main one to answer most of the questions while the singer would thrown a 'yeah, totally' as a way to agree whatever his friend talked about. The host asks another question this time receiving howls from the audience. The bassist to which he replies to "what's there to tell, you know?" and they all swoon over the most simplest response. The guy was a definite charmer.

After a long day of holding meetings for the recent band that finally made their first public appearance, the studio was up and running. Many executives held down the numerous amount of phone calls ringing in every three to four minutes. This usually happens at least three times a week. Depending on what band was getting their rising fame, to get a scheduled appearance was hard work and it all mainly depended on Bonnie, the casting agent. She was up and out all the time meeting with agents and tour managers to get an opportunity for (quoted many times) "the one chance a band can finally get their recognition they deserved and make a history through MasMusic". And the agents bought the acts of which she scored through after sitting around to almost four to five hours each meeting. She slaves her butt off day and night, sacrificing her own time just to get a quick meeting with someone who she could care less about if it wasn't the real famous person their selves.

Landon, at then CEO of the company, rambles by a very hurried looking Bonnie and simply tells her "Atta girl, bonnie! keep it up!" and Bonnie throws a wave at him before dashing out of the doors to enslave another five hours of reasoning with a manager who cared as less as she did. He walks through a set, his five foot five stature passing through a wave of rushed employees. Some greet him with a simple "hello" before running off. Others say nothing in their spite of having to be bossed around by someone who was once one of them way before any of this credit he received came out of the blue. He steps into an elevator that would lead to his office and met an employee there as well. She was small and of Chinese descent with black framed glasses and a red cardigan. He tells her a polite hello and the two go up in silence. She didn't seem the type to carry on a conversation anyway, he thought. The two departed ways as if they never acknowledged ones' existence in the first place.

"Landon, you have a lot of calls waiting for you." His tense at then intern, Ada, rushes to his side out of nowhere.

The two follow up in his office and secure the door closed. Landon skips over to his ringing phone and picked it up just as it was close to already being the tenth ring.

"Hello?.... yes... thank you so much I really appreciate it.... it could work out..." he turns around twisting the cord through his finger and gazes through the creatively structured windows made out of triangle shapes. One of his many ideas after settling into his new office about six years ago. "You know what, let me take a rain check on that and I’ll get back to you.... okay....thanks.... have a good one...bye." He hangs up and dusts his palms against his jeans. Looking up at Ada, he furrows a brow and points over to his phone. "That’s an important phone call?"

She merely shrugs. "I only take calls, not break them down if they were pointless or not." She sits down on his leather couch and opens up her special binder of assigned schedules that dealt with times to meet up with other CEO's of business. "Amazing how fast such news dies down after a long day." She was right. It was eight at night and the program aired almost six hours ago. Calls were still coming in, but that didn't mean that same ones that talked about today’s performance.

Landon takes a seat in his comfy, leather chair and opened up his laptop. He checked his emails, emptied out his spam and googled in the term 'music news' to get caught on with how the program went today. The internet was amusing in all ways, but it didn't came as fast as he expected it to be. He checks the MasMusic website and saw the airing time of the show. In his time zone, it was about to air in thirty minutes. That explains it, he thought. He closes his laptop, positive thoughts streaking through his mind and mentally gave himself a pat on the back for today. You’ve done it again, Landon, you dog, you.

The door echoes a knock in the very prestige room. In peaks the head of a fellow employee of MasMusic, Greg, who worked with the lightening crew. His soft, kind face made its way over to Ada first, with Ada looking ungainly at his gaze, and back to Landon. His voice was almost a close whisper. "We wanted to know about the reviews already."

Landon eyes at his watch and shrugged. "It’s eight thirty."

"We’re in a different time zone," Ada adds.

Greg followed an agreeable nod. And while Landon is checking through his laptop, Greg quickly reminds Ada of "dinner at nine, right?"

To which Ada casually answered with "yeah." It was one of those nights where Ada will possibly wake up late the next morning scurrying around the house and regretting the previous night’s event. But either way she had never minded going out to dinner with quiet, kind Greg.

"It’s all good!" Landon holds his fists up in the air as if the champ of a boxing arena. "Everyone loves the band, the commercials are persuasive and we are currently the most watched network as of this minute."

Greg gives his small gesture of silent applause and Ada nods her head feeling the job being paid off for tonight. In all previous airing nights, there had always been that one moment where everything was at number one and they weren't tailing behind the second spot. Greg shares an intimate "good bye" to Ada and closes the door with Landon staring off into the screen of his laptop admiring the current position of being the most watched on television.

"I knew today would be a great day on set," gushes Landon sitting back in his chair. He grins and looks off into space thinking of the successes he's had as the CEO for about six years. No screws up, flaws or anything that web gossiping blogs could point out and make an obnoxious deal out of. "Schedule me a meeting with the new bands manager." Ada scribbles it down on her special binder. And at that, Landon takes out a saved bottle of champagne he kept in his desk in case of a toast for a good day and good successes. Next thing on the list; dinner with the lovely blonde host that’s the main spotlight of MasMusic.
Sign up to rate and review this story