Categories > Original > Drama > Chicana

Dinner

by sickly_ill 0 reviews

“What’s this?” Armando grabbed my arm and turned it. There was a nasty bruise starting to get its color. Right then I saw Armando give Marcelino the death look. He stood up and so did I. “Y...

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2012-08-30 - Updated: 2012-08-31 - 3886 words

0Unrated
His bright eyes confused by seeing Marcelino behind me, but I was still shocked he was here. Here for real. He had gotten taller, and was more built. “Armando.” I said again, this time I felt a tear stream down my face. He looked at me with loving eyes. I finally thawed over and hugged him tight. My arms around his neck thought they would never let got for a million years. In that moment I was complete. I had my family and everything I ever wanted. There I broke down and started crying. “I’ve missed you.” I whispered.
“I’ve missed you guys too.” He sniffled and I felt a single tear fall onto my shoulder. We finally parted and I let him into the house. “Wow.” He looked around. “Dad did good.” Armando nodded. “Where is he anyway?”
“He’s still at work.” I said.
“Is that why your boyfriend’s over here?” Armando looked over at Marcelino.
“No. Dad lets him come over anyway.” I explained.
“Hi. Marcelio.” Marcelino went over and greeted Armando.
“Que onda? Armando.” They both shook either other’s hand.
“Are you hungry?” I asked my brother.
“Yeah. I’m fuckin’ starving!” He laughed and we all headed to the kitchen.
“What do you want?” I asked opening the fridge.
“Anything good and fast.” I nodded and took out some eggs and leftover beans. Both Armando and Marcelino sat at the bar. As I turned on the stove I also opened the cabinet to get the flour to make fresh tortillas.
It took an awkward half hour to make everything and serve everyone. “Damn, Raquel! Where did you learn to cook? This shit is amazing. Best I’ve had since getting home.” Armando stuffed his face and went for more.
“I took some cooking classes at school.” I smiled and sat down next to Marcelino. Once my ass hit the leather stool I remembered I didn’t have any underwear on. I suddenly stood up. “Uh, I’ll be right back. I needa pee.” I lied and raced upstairs. I ran into my room and slipped on some real underwear and changed into a white romper. I fixed my hair and headed back downstairs. Armando was doing the dishes. “I can do it.” I tried to take the plate from Armando, but he just said, “No, I got it. I’m almost done.” He finished and we all went to sit in the living room. We all sat there awkwardly. What do you say to your brother that you haven’t seen in years?
“When did you get back?” I finally broke the silence.
“Last night. I stayed in a motel in Portland after I landed. I didn’t wanna come knocking at three in the morning.” He chuckled lightly. I missed his laugh. I smiled and the tears came back again. I cracked. Armando just came to sit next to me and wrapped his arms around me. “C’mon, Raquel, don’t cry.” He rocked me back and forth and rubbed my back.
“I’m just so happy you’re home and safe.” I sobbed into his shoulder.
“Yeah, me too.” He said. He finally let go of me and wiped the tears from my face. “Now, stop crying. You don’t want Marcelino here to see your ugly crying face.” He joked.
“Been there, done that.” Marcelino chimed. We all just laughed and I wiped up my face.
“How long have you guys been dating?” Armando asked.
“Almost a year.” I smiled and took Marcelino’s hand in mine.
“Damn!” He smiled. “He must really love you.”
“I do. She’s my everything.” Marcelino squeezed my hand. I just smiled.
“What’s this?” Armando grabbed my arm and turned it. There was a nasty bruise starting to get its color. Right then I saw Armando give Marcelino the death look. He stood up and so did I. “You think you can hit my sister and get away with it, puto!?” Now Marcelino stood.
“No, Armando. He didn’t lay a hand on me! Te lo juro!” I say, but he just ignores me.
“I would never hurt Raquel.” Marcelino said. I’m standing between them and I can feel Armando pushing me aside.
“Armando! I got in a fight!” I yelled so he could hear me.
“When!? With who!?” He huffed.
“One of Marcelino’s exes at the movie theatre.” I said. He just stared at me and realized I was telling the truth. He calmed down and sat back down.
“Sorry, man.” Armando said to my boyfriend.
“Hey, I woulda had the same reaction.” Marcelino admitted.
“You got a little sister too?” Marcelino just nodded.
“She’s the youngest and I would die, even kill, for her.”
“Then you get where I was coming from.”
“Totally.” After that they were talking about everything. They both really got along great. I was just listening and watching them talk about soccer when I heard the door open and close. My dad was home. I got up and went to greet him, but he was frozen. He was staring at Armando like he’d seen a ghost.
“Hey, Dad.” Armando stood up. Everything went silent.
“He just got back.” I said to my dad, but he was still staring. It was bold, but Armando made the first move. He went up to Dad. My dad’s eyes never leaving him.
“Armando.” My dad whispered. His eyes tearing up. I just moved to stand next to Marcelino. We both watched as my dad extended his hand for Armando to shake. Instead Armando embraced Dad. I watched as Dad didn’t react at first, but then dropped his keys and brief case to hold Armando in his arms again. But he was struggling a bit because Armando was a lot taller now, and more built. “How are you doing, son?” I heard Dad ask in a whisper.
“I’m good, Dad.” Armando sniffled. That’s when Dad broke down. I saw actual tears streaming down his face. “How have you been, Dad?”
“I’m happier now that you’re here.” I just smiled and tears came to my eyes at the sight of my family back together again. I sniffled and Dad looked up. He invited me over and we all hugged together. “Both of my children are here now. I can’t be more happy.” We all stood there for a while, then we let go of each other. “How about we all get cleaned up and go out to dinner?” Dad suggested.
“What about Marcelino?” I ask. We all look at Marcelino who’s just standing in the living room.
“He can come too. So I can get to know him more.” Armando smiled. “If that’s okay with you, Dad.”
“Yeah, it’s okay. He’s practically part of the family.” Dad said.
“Okay, it’s settled.” I smiled.
“Everybody be ready by eight.” Dad said, picked up his brief and keys and headed upstairs.
“You can get ready in the guest room.” I said to Armando and led him to the extra room we had down the hall from the laundry room. “Complete with its own full bath.” I open the door.
“Thanks, hermanita.” He kissed the top of my head. “But I have none of my clothes here, or my cologne.”
“Duh! I’m dumb.” I smacked myself on the head. “Well, you can take my car so you can go get your things from the motel.” I smiled.
“Nah, I’ll just take the Max.”
“Don’t be stupid, Pelon. My car’s much faster.” I led him to the door and gave him my keys.
“Thanks. I’ll be back shortly then.” And he left.
“Did you need to get clothes, too?” I asked Marcelino.
“Yeah. I’ll be back. Do you want me to get ready over here?” He asked.
“How about we both get ready at your house?” I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck. “I can help you get dressed and we can shower together.” I said.
“Sounds like fun, but my mom’s home, and so is everyone else.” He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my nose. “But I can help you pick something out and we could get ready at my house, taking separate showers.”
“But that’s no fun!” I whined. “But I’ll go anyway. And instead I’ll go over to get you ready, then we’ll come back to get me ready. Yeah?” I changed the plan. “We have enough time.”
“Okay,” Marcelino nodded.
“Okay, let me just get the keys to my dad’s car and we’ll go.” I was about to go upstairs, but he pulled me back. “What is it?”
“Let’s just walk. I don’t wanna disturb your dad.” He said.
“Don’t be ridiculous. If we walk it’ll take longer and you’ll get dirty on the way back.” I argued. “And my dad likes you so it won’t be such a big deal if we take his car. He doesn’t need it. He’s getting ready.” I smiled.
“Okay,” He nodded and I went upstairs.
“Dad, I’m borrowing your car, okay!?” I yelled at him from his bedroom.
“What happened to yours?” He yelled from his master bath.
“Armando has it. He needed to go get his stuff from the motel he stayed at last night.” I said as I searched through my dad’s work pants to get the keys from his pocket.
“Okay! But hurry!”
“Okay!” I said and raced downstairs. “Let’s go!” I grabbed Marcelino’s hand and we headed over to his house. Once we got there, we entered his house. It always smelled of fresh food. This time I smelled enchiladas. “Oh my God. Your mom is an amazing cook.” I complimented.
“I know.” Marcelino chuckled and led me to his room.
“Marcelino! Come and eat!” I heard his mom call.
“Ma! I can’t stay for dinner. I’m going out with Raquel and her family tonight to have dinner with them!” He called from his closet, which he was raiding to find something to wear.
“Babe, if you can’t come, it’s okay.” I said.
“No, it’s fine. I haven’t gone out all week.” He said.
“Well, go talk to her and I’ll look for something for you to wear.” I said. He nodded and left the room. I just started to look through his clothes. Going from hanger to hanger, pushing them from side to side. I finally just pushed them all over to see if there was anything else and what I saw shocked me. There, behind all these clothes, was a block of weed wrapped tightly in clear saran wrap. What the fuck was this doing in here? But then it all clicked. The extra cash, the things he had to do all day, the whispers with Ghost. He was dealing.
“Okay, Ma!” I heard him coming back. I moved the hangers back to their places and kept on like I’d never stumbled on the package. “Find anything yet?” He asked. I just shook my head. This is something I’ll keep to myself till the timing is right. I don’t want to ruin tonight, so I’ll keep it in tonight for sure. But he’s not getting away with this. “How about this? It’s nice and classy. And I’ve only worn it once. To winter formal last year with some of my buddies. I think it still fits.” I saw his suggestion. A solid black button up with white buttons. “Is this a fancy place we’re gonna be eatin’ at?”
“Yeah, I know exactly where my dad wants to eat. It’s his favorite place in Portland.” I smiled. “And I think you’ll look very classy in this.” I said. “Now, we just need some pants.”
“And I have the perfect ones.” He opened one of his drawers and pulled up some black Dickies. “And I can wear those Jordans you bought me.” He smiled. He was really excited.
“That’d be totally presentable.” I smiled.
“I know.” He smiled and kissed me. “Now, I’m gonna shower, change and we can leave.” I nodded. “Oh! Can you iron these for me? Just so we can get out of here faster.” He asked.
“Yeah, babe. Where’s the plancha and the board?” I asked.
“In my mom’s room.” He said. I nodded and he grabbed a few things and went to take a quick shower. I just took his clothes and headed to his mom’s room. I entered and found the ironing board near her bathroom. I headed over and just as I set down the clothes on the board, the bathroom door opened. It was his mom.
“Oh! Mija, you scared me!” She put her hand over her chest.
“Sorry. I just came to iron these for Marcelino.” I said.
“Oh, okay. The iron’s right here.” She handed me the iron. “So, where are you guys gonna go eat?”
“At a place downtown called Castagna.” I said.
“Oh, sounds fancy.” She said.
“Yeah, it is. But they’ve got an amazing steak.” I smiled.
“Well, I hope you guys have a good time.” She smiled, but I knew it was fake.
“Maybe some night we can all go downtown and eat there.” I suggested.
“Oh, mija, I don’t have that kind of money.” I knew Smiley did. But not from a real job, but hustling.
“It’ll be on us! My dad is a gentlemen and doesn’t believe a woman should pay for anything.” I smiled. He really did think that.
“Well, that sounds nice.” She smiled again. This one for real this time.
“Yeah, it would be.” We just stood there for a while. In silence.
“Well, I hope you guys have a good time. I needa get back to the kids.”
“Okay,” I smiled. She just left without a word and I went to ironing Marcelino’s clothes.
He finally came out of the shower and I was waiting on his bed for him, right next to his ironed clothes I spread out for him. “Thanks, baby.” He kissed me and got dressed. He then pulled out a clean black velvet box from under his bed. He opened it and there were his new Jordans I bought him and a long diamond chain, and hanging from the chain was a diamond cross. “The only thing my grandpa gave me.” He smiled. “A good man.” I just smiled as he put it on carefully. He then put on his shoes and sprayed on some cologne. He then went back to the velvet box and took out a pair of white diamond earrings. He put them in. “Okay, baby. We’re good to go.” I nodded and we said our goodbyes to his family. As we headed back to my house I kept to myself. The big package still in my thoughts. Marcelino must have sensed something because he startled me with the question, “Are you okay?”
“What? Yeah. Why wouldn’t I be?” I asked.
“You’re just quiet, is all.” He shrugged.
“I’m just thinking about my brother.” I lied.
“Well, after not seeing for that long, who wouldn’t wonder.” He smiled. “Everything’s gonna be fine.” He grabbed my hand and kissed my knuckles. I just smiled.
Getting back to my house, Armando was back and both Marcelino and I headed to my bedroom. “Now, what to wear.” I said and walked over to my closet. I rummaged through my old clothes, then through my new clothes. I found a small strapless apricot dress with a black bow. “What about this?” I showed Marcelino.
“That one’s nice.” He nodded. “And with these heals, you’ll look beautiful.” He pulled out a pair of black velvet heals at least four inches. I smiled.
“And this is why I love you.” I kissed him and headed across the hall to shower after laying out my clothes on my bed. I quickly jumped in and washed everything as fast as possible. I shaved my legs and underarms and got out. I wrapped myself with a towel and went back to my room where I saw a full outfit set out on my bed. Complete with a handbag, earrings, necklace, ring, panties,bra, and the bracelet he bought me. “Awww, thanks, babe!” I kissed him again.
“Now you can look your best. But even without all these things you’d still look beautiful.” He smiled. I hugged him.
“Now help me get dressed!” I demanded in fake seriousness. He just laughed and threw me the undergarments he picked out for me. “Gee, thanks for helping.”
“Turn around.” He said. I did and he removed my towel. “Bra.” He held out his hand. I gave it to him and he took off the straps and put it on me.
“Thank you.” I smiled and slipped into my black thong. “I thought you said no more dresses and thong combos?”
“I know, but you just look so fine it ‘em I couldn’t help myself.” He chuckled. I just shook my head and smirked. “Okay, arms up.” I felt like a kid again lifting up my arms as Marcelino slipped on my dress. Tears welled up in my eyes. “Babe, what’s wrong?” He took my face into his soft and gentle hands. I just shook my head.
“It just reminded me of my mom.” I said. He just sighed and held me. I pushed him away to wipe my tears. “I’m fine. It was a happy memory.” I smiled. He just nodded. I wiped my face and calmed myself down. “Can you hand me my hair dryer?” I asked. Marcelino obliged and I started to dry my hair. Once dry I asked, “Should I leave it, or curl it?”
“I say leave it. It has this sorta wavy swag to it.” Marcelino smiled. I just nodded and watched him go through my perfume and make-up. “Here, wear this.” He sprayed me with my coconut and lime perfume. “It drives me crazy.” He smiled and came close to me. His hot breath beating down on me. He leaned into my neck and I heard him inhale heavily. “Mmmm,” he mumbled.
“Don’t give yourself a boner there, babe.” I laughed.
“I’m trying not to.” He whispered into my ear hotly. I just pushed him away.
“I need to get ready.” I smirked and started on my make-up, sitting at my vanity where I posted up pictures of Marcelino and I together.
“Here. This eye shadow matches your dress.” He handed me a small container of peach eye shadow.
“Thanks, babe.” I took it and applied it. Then applied some eyeliner and light blush. “Done.” I smiled, and got up to put on the jewelry Marcelino picked out for me. “Can you do this?” I asked him to put on my necklace and bracelet.
“Yeah,” He clipped on both and I put on my heels.
“Do I look okay?” I asked. Marcelino studied me from head to toe, making me feel naked and exposed under his eye.
“Put your hair up. A simple pony.” He suggested. I obliged and I’ve got to admit, I looked pretty good.
“Now?” I grinned at him.
“Now.” He smiled and took my hand and led me downstairs.
“Wow!” I heard Armando say. “I can see why you like my sister, hombre.” He looked at me up and down as I was walking down the stairs.
“And I see why you don’t have a girlfriend, brother.” I joked.
“Oh, nice one!” Armando chuckled. “And why? What’s wrong with this outfit?” He asked me once I reached the bottom of the stairs.
“You look like a total dweeb! Don’t you own a solid colored dress shirt?” I asked, commenting on his hideous striped dress shirt.
“Yeah, but this one has all my favorite colors. Red, black and white.” He said.
“No, we needa change this is I’m gonna be a tia by the end of the year.” I led him to the guest room and rummaged through his suit case. “What about this one?” I held up a mint green button up. Armando just shrugged. “Here, put it on. It goes with those trousers better.” I handed it to him. “Do you own any ties?”
“Nope. Never saw the need for one.” He said as he changed his shirt. I shook my head.
“Not even just to look nice!?”
“Nope. Not even then.” He buttoned his shirt and tucked it in.
“Well, Dad has plenty of them. I’ll be right back.” I ran out of the room as fast as I could in my heels, and made it up the stairs in one piece. “Dad, I need a black tie with mint stitching!” I yelled as I got into his room.
“Here you go.” He handed me what I asked for as he came out of his closet.
“Lookin’ sharp, Dad!” I admired his Armani suit. “Very classy.” I smiled.
“Thank you, mija.” He smiled. I just smiled back then ran back downstairs to give Armando the tie. I almost bit it going down the carpeted stairs, but restored myself like a ninja. “Here.” I gave the tie to my brother.
“Can you put it on me? I don’t know how to tie a tie.” He admitted. I just rolled my eyes and put the tie around his neck. I tied it neatly.
“There, much better.” I smiled. We both went out to the living room where my dad and Marcelino were make small talk about each other’s evening dinner attire.
“Are we all ready?” Dad asked.
“Yes,” I smiled as I tucked my black clutch under my arm and took Marcelino’s hand.
“Okay, we’ll take my car.” Dad smiled and we all piled into the his white Mercedes Benz.
It didn’t take long for us to arrive to Castagna. Once we got there we waited for a little while till they got our table ready. “Dad, who did you get a reservation so fast?” I whispered to him. Usually at Castagna you’d have to wait about an hour if you made a late reservation.
“I know some people.” He answered and smiled as we took our seats. Marcelino pulled out my chair and I sat. He took the seat to my left; Armando took the seat to my right and my dad across from me. I felt a little out of place because I was the only female among all males, but they were my world, so I got over it.
“Can I start you all off with some fine wine or water?” The waiter asked my dad politely.
“Just some Red Diamond, if you carry it.” My dad said while taking his napkin and placing it in his lap.
“Of course, sir.” And with that the waiter gave us all our menus and left to go get the wine.
Sign up to rate and review this story