Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > From Under The Cork Tree

Could It Be Worse

by moocow 5 reviews

Warning: Intense. You might hate Lizzie after this chapter...

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance - Warnings: [!!] [!!!] [?] - Published: 2006-07-17 - Updated: 2006-07-17 - 1108 words

0Unrated
Chapter 11- Could It Be Worse?

"When you try your best but you don't succeed
when you get what you want but not what you need
when you feel so tired but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse"


Lizzie sat staring at the keys, unaware that Pete was standing only six feet behind her. She raised her fingers to the keys and lightly placed them down, actually wanting to play. Closing her eyes, she played the first thing that came to mind, the song Pete loved her to play. She had it in one octave first, and then added more and more to it, dragging her arms and fingers all over the piano. When she finished, she opened her eyes and sighed, placing her hands down in her lap.
"Play again," Lizzie widened her eyes at the familiar voice.

"And the tears come streaming down your face
when you lose something you can't replace
when you love someone but it goes to waste
could it be worse?"


Slowly, Lizzie turned around, keeping her eyes glued to the carpet and when she was fully turned around, she stood, raising her eyes to meet Pete's.
"What...what are you doing here?" she asked softly and Pete frowned.
"Am I not allowed to be here?" he asked back and Lizzie turned her head away.
"Pete...we have to talk," Lizzie looked back to see Pete nodding.
"I know..." he paused. "I'm so..." Lizzie furrowed her eyebrows together, already upset.
"What? You're sorry?" she cut him off, making him stumble backwards a little. "I won't buy it, Pete," she turned away and breathed in deeply to calm her nerves.
"Then at least listen to me?" Pete begged and Lizzie turned her head to him, but not her body.
"Why? Are your words that important?" she asked in a spiteful way. Pete cringed at her words and sighed, looking down.
"They are if you want to stay friends," he muttered and she fully turned around, still an angry face on.
"Well, that's just the thing, Pete! I don't know if I want to be friends with you..." she slowly started to whisper and hugged herself, protectively. "Just sometimes I think my feelings are being either exposed or ignored, and I don't want to have to deal with that anymore," she whispered and Pete closed his eyes, breathing in.

"Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

And high up above or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth"


Pete shook his head and looked up at Lizzie who now had silent tears slipping down her cheeks.
"Lizzie, I..." he started and then looked back down.
"You what? Are you trying to tell me otherwise? Come on Pete, you can't possibly mean you actually never realized how much you used to tease and taunt me..." she sniffed for a brief moment and sighed out, disgusted. "Pete...I knew you were arrogant, but I never thought you would purposely do that," Pete gritted his teeth and grabbed Lizzie by her shoulders, making her look up at him.
"Shut up and listen to me," Lizzie widened her eyes as Pete let his hands run down the sides of her arms then latch onto her hands.
"Pete..." Lizzie spoke his name slowly, and Pete just tightened his grip on her hands, face developing a somewhat sorrow filled smile.
"I've looked back and realized what I've done..." Pete paused and gulped back the fear. "But, in doing so, I've also realized something about you and me," Lizzie bit her lip and started to turn her head away when Pete rose a hand and made it stay looking at him. Lizzie's breath shook and her mind raced.
Please do not kiss me. This is not a good situation, not when I'm depressed.
"Pete, no..." Lizzie let the tears flow a little harder and lightly shook her head. "There is nothing you can say that can mend my heart," she whispered and Pete lightly smiled.
"What if I tell you this?" Lizzie flickered her eyes up to his with a questionable look in her eyes.
"Tell me what?" she asked slowly. Pete breathed out and bit his lip.
"I love you Elizabeth Valentine, and you better believe me," as he said this, his eyes darted from each of her eyes, looking for some kind of emotion. Lizzie stood un-fazed by what Pete had just told her.
"The best part of believe is the lie, Peter Wentz," she whispered back and Pete's light smile slowly diminished and he let his hands slip out of her own.
"But Lizzie," he whispered and she shook her head.
"Leave Pete...I've had enough of your bull-shit," she looked away as she pointed up the stairs. Pete slowly turned and walked away, once again, being shunned by Lizzie. But he wasn't giving up.

"Tears stream, down your face
when you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down your face"


"Pete?" Joe asked as Pete walked through the tour bus door, slipping through the main area. Patrick looked up from his reading to see the bass player take a silent seat next to him, his hood up, covering his tear stained face.
"Dude, what happened?" Andy asked and Pete just closed his eyes.
"She was the only thing that felt like home," all the guys raised their eyebrows in confusion.
"What is he talking about?" Joe asked in a whisper to Andy. He shrugged.
"Lizzie..." Pete whispered before his voice cracked and he completely broke down. Patrick widened his eyes and felt his mouth part a little.
She broke his heart...
"Pete..." Andy whispered and Pete just shook his head.
"This time, I'm not giving up," he chocked out. "I'm gonna write, and get it to her through what I do best...music," Joe looked up at Patrick and he lightly smiled.
"Let's get to work then..." he grabbed a piece of paper and pen that was near him and handed it to Pete. Pete pushed back his hood, sniffing and grasped the pen tight in his hand. "Pete? I think you do the writing, am I correct?" Patrick joked and Pete smirked and sniffed, wiping his nose.
"It's the start of an amazing album," he added. Pete looked down at the paper and pen in his hand.
"Of trust and love and hope..." he whispered and the rest of the boys smiled.

"Tears stream, down your face
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
Tears stream down your face"
Sign up to rate and review this story