Categories > Anime/Manga > Rurouni Kenshin > Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Ch. 4: Bilbo's goodbye to Gandalf

by John_the_visionary 0 reviews

Gandalf and Bilbo privately say their farewells to each other...

Category: Rurouni Kenshin - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama, Fantasy - Characters: Other - Published: 2006-07-17 - Updated: 2006-07-17 - 958 words

0Unrated


.

Chapter 4: Bilbo's goodbye to Gandalf



.

.

At Bilbo's frightened party, the crowd, still shaken after seeing Bilbo vanish, are unaware that Bilbo is invisible. So he runs back to Bag End to make sure nobody followed him. He went through the front gate, to the door. Once, inside his house...

...He laughed mischievously as he reappeared, admiring the object that made him invisible. It was a gold ring. He flipped it up, caught it and put it back in his vest pocket. Bilbo started, in a hurry to gather his things and leave before anybody could find him there.

He started to grab a walking stick and go into his lobby, only to find someone was already waiting for him...

.

"...I suppose you think that was terribly clever!"

.

Bilbo started to look around his lobby and saw that someone was behind him, near the fireplace. It was Gandalf, irritated as he was for the stunt that Bilbo just pulled.

Bilbo tries to reason to his old friend, "oh, come on Gandalf, did you see their faces!" Bilbo laughed even more mischievously than before.

But Gandalf countered Bilbo, "there are many magic rings in this world Bilbo Baggins, and none of them should be used lightly."

"It was just a bit of fun," Bilbo said to defend himself then immediately put on a face of defeat, "oh, you're probably right, as usual. You will keep an eye on Frodo, won't you?"

"Two eyes," answered Gandalf.

"Thanks," Bilbo said

"...As often as I can spare them," Gandalf finished.

Then Bilbo picked up a pipe and went over to his book and brought it to his bag on the table. "I'm leaving everything to him," he said.

"What about that ring of yours? Is that staying too?"

"Yes, yes," Bilbo said. Then he pointed behind him with his thumb to show Gandalf.

"Its in an envelope over there on the mantelpiece," said Bilbo as Gandalf went for the mantel in which he was told. But then...

"No, wait its..." said Bilbo as he went for the pocket where the ring is really kept, "...here in my pocket," muttered Bilbo. He held the ring in his hand and smiled sheepishly.

"Heh, isn't that... isn't that odd now?" Bilbo asked himself as he grinned. He then put on a dark face, "...yet after all, why not... why shouldn't I keep it?"

Gandalf interjected, "I think you should leave the ring behind, Bilbo. Is that so hard?"

"Well, no," Bilbo said hurriedly and then mutters to the wizard, "...and yes."

Bilbo's insistence to keep the ring became even stronger, "...now it comes to it, I don't feel like parting with it! Its mine, I found it, IT CAME TO ME!"

"There's no need to get angry," said Gandalf with concern.

"WELL, IF I'M ANGRY, ITS YOUR FAULT!" Bilbo's anger rose. Gandalf became frightened with Bilbo's anger...

"Its mine... my own... my precioussss," Bilbo hissed maliciously.

Gandalf was even more frightened and startled, "precious? Its been called that before, but not by you."

Insulted, Bilbo turned around fiercely and growled at his old friend, "what business is it of yours, what I do with my own things!"

"I think you've had that ring quite long enough!" countered Gandalf.

"You, you want it for yourself!" it was clear, Bilbo was starting a fight.

"BILBO BAGGINS!" Gandalf couldn't take it anymore...!

Bilbo gasped at the wizard's anger for it reveals a power that Gandalf has had kept hidden. He was surrounded by a shadow. It forced Bilbo to stand up against the wall...

.

.

Gandalf fumed, "DO NOT TAKE ME FOR SOME CONJURER OF CHEAP TRICKS! I'M NOT TRYING TO ROB YOU... "

.

.

Suddenly, Gandalf's anger slowly subsided along with his power and he was the kind wizard once again. "...I'm trying to help you," finished Gandalf softly.

Bilbo slowly came to his old friend and hugged each other, compassionately. Frightened as Bilbo was, Gandalf spoke to him once more, "all your long years, we've been friends. Trust me as you once did, eh. Let it go."

"You're right Gandalf," Bilbo realized, "...the ring must go to Frodo." Bilbo then grabbed his bag and headed out the door, without realizing he still has the ring...

"It's late, the road is long. Yes... it is time."

Bilbo opened the door to go out but...

"Bilbo," said Gandalf, "the ring is still in your pocket."

Bilbo realized this also and laughed nervously as he took the ring from his pocket. It was in his hand. Bilbo was still reluctant to let the ring go, but he knew Gandalf was right. He let his hand turn slowly... and slowly... and slowly... until he let the ring slip from his hand... and let it drop onto the floor.

.

.

Bilbo went out the door, frustrated and took a deep breath. He was a few feet outside his door, and suddenly, recovered his wits and thought of something good.

"I've thought up and ending for my book!" said Bilbo and turned to face the wizard to tell him aloud, "'and he lived happily ever after... to the end of his days.'"

It was a very passionate ending. "And I'm sure you will, my dear friend," Gandalf agreed. Bilbo and Gandalf shook hands together, one last time... still as friends.

"Goodbye, Gandalf."

"Goodbye, dear Bilbo." Bilbo then turned around to leave. As he went out the front gate, he started singing:

The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began...


.

Gandalf then muttered to himself, "...until our next meeting."

.

.

.

.

Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien
Sign up to rate and review this story