Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Devotion

Decision

by brynn_parker 6 reviews

...

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Drama, Romance - Characters: Kakashi, Sakura - Warnings: [X] - Published: 2006-07-17 - Updated: 2006-07-18 - 4957 words

1Hot
Chapter 6: Decision

----

Kakashi turned over in bed again, pushing the comforter off of his bare shoulders and groaning. Another restless night in his apartment was leaving him cranky and completely unprepared for the day ahead.

A second turn sent him crashing down on the wood floor. He grimaced, leaving his face down and letting another frustrated groan escape his lips. The room was dark in the midnight hours, and it didn't seem like he would get any more sleep if he got up at all, even to return to his place in the bed. Dreams had plagued him night after night since Sakura had left to stay with Naruto. Things didn't seem to be getting better either.

He slowly put his hands on either side of his head and pushed himself up to lean back against the bed frame, running a hand over his heavy eyes and cursing silently. I've never needed anyone before...

His life had been relatively lonely and filled to the brim with missions, leaving no room for relationships of any sort. Everyone in Konoha knew that Kakashi didn't have any close friends, and that Team 7 had been the nearest he'd come to a family since his original team when he'd been a student himself. Kakashi sometimes wondered what life would be like if he'd settled down with one of the many village girls from his youth...but then he wouldn't have had a relationship with any of those young ninja.

Naruto.

Sasuke.

Sakura...

In the past few days, he'd had quite a few Icha Icha-esque fantasies about the girl. The feelings baffled him and he was often disgusted with himself...but he had to wonder if it was what she wanted too.

After all, she had kissed him back.

He stood up and pulled on a shirt quickly, covering his Sharingan eye with his headband and wondering if Naruto and Sakura would still be up at this time. If not he could just go and look in the window...couldn't do any harm, and she'd asked him not to come check on her anyway.

That was another thing...they both felt hurt and betrayed because he hadn't told them how they could help Sasuke. Kakashi stuck to his belief that it would be better for everyone if they stayed safe in Konoha...even if Konoha wasn't so safe anymore. And now Tsunade was a part of the madness too, suggesting that Sakura track down Sasuke and seal Orochimaru in...it would be too difficult after what she'd been through. Right?

Or was he just worried that the kunoichi might still have feelings for the dark-haired Uchiha?

What made it worse was that the Hokage had asked Kakashi himself to deliver the news of Sasuke's possible recovery to Sakura...and ask her if she wanted to be a part of the mission that was being organized to bring her old teammate back. Kakashi knew that the older woman was only trying to help - telling Naruto and Sakura about this mission could win back their trust - but he still despised that he had to be the one to help them with it...he didn't even think it was a good idea in the first place.

A short walk brought him to Naruto's apartment building, and he silently walked up the stairs and crept around the building, looking in a window to see if the two were still up. Light glowed from the living room, and he supposed that he could go and knock on the door; if they were already asleep, Sakura probably wouldn't hear and Naruto would sleep right on through.

With that thought in mind, he knocked firmly on the door and put his hands in his pockets, waiting for someone to answer.

----

Naruto was still shocked at Sakura's confession about their ex-sensei, and it was on his mind again that night as he pulled some snacks out of the cupboard while Sakura sat on the couch reading. When Naruto returned her knees were pulled up to her chest and she was skimming over the pages of a book intently, biting her thumb nail. Naruto sat down across from her and stuffed his face with some of the food before he could say anything else about the kiss.

Of course, he had such a big mouth that that didn't really work.

"Hey, Sakura?"

She didn't even look up at him, keeping her eyes cast down. "Yes, Naruto?"

"I haven't been asking because it didn't seem like you wanted to talk about it...but you're sure you kissed him back?"

Sakura glared up at her friend, blushing and realizing that Naruto really wanted someone to blame for her state of mind. Sasuke hadn't appeared again...but she was still agitated and usually withdrawn. "I'm sure, Naruto....there's nobody to blame except Orochimaru for how I am, OK?"

Now it was the blonde's turn to blush. He sighed, shaking his head. "I usually have someone to pummel."

She laughed slightly, returning to her book. "I know..." She stopped doing everything, looking back up at him, and he raised his eyebrows at her questioningly. "I'm worried, Naruto."

"Why?"

"Have you ever heard of...I mean, now that you've brought it up again..." She laughed awkwardly. "Why am I telling you this!?"

Naruto cowered. "I don't even know what you're telling me..." he said pitifully, reacting to the volatile female's anger.

"Oh, well...have you ever heard of a student falling in love with their teacher?"

Naruto gaped at her, his eyes wide and his jaw on the floor.

She growled in frustration. "Naruto, don't look at me like that!"

He shook his head quickly, as if bringing himself out of a trance. "Sorry, I just wasn't expecting that...but, uh, no, I've heard of that but I don't think it ever works...YOU'RE NOT SERIOUSLY THINKING YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH KAKASHI-SENSEI!??!?!?!?"

----

Unfortunately, just as Kakashi knocked a loud roar originated from inside the apartment, drowning out any sound he might have made.

His eyes widened at the words that he'd made out from that roar.

"YOU'RE NOT SERIOUSLY THINKING YOU'RE IN LOVE WITH KAKASHI-SENSEI?!?!?!?"

There wasn't anyone else Naruto could be talking to.

It had to be Sakura.

He knocked again.

----

Both members of Team 7 looked quickly towards the door as a knock sounded from it, and Sakura just as quickly glared at the blonde with fire in her eyes. "Don't be so freaked out," she snapped quietly as he got up to go see who it was, "I can't help it!"

She turned back to her book in a huff as Naruto disappeared around the corner and she heard the door open squeakily. A man's voice echoed down the hallway and Sakura froze at the words.

"Yo."

"Sakura doesn't want to see you," Naruto's voice said.

"I have a message from the Hokage."

The door shut.

No way...

Inner Sakura cackled evilly. It's you-know-who...the man you've been dying to see... Her alter ego "duhed" out a drum roll as that very silver-haired ninja slouched into the room, Naruto at his heels.

"I told him you don't want to see him..." Naruto said angrily, clenching his fists. Sakura could tell that Kakashi knew of the blonde's murderous glare, but he continued to stay cool, lifting a hand at her.

"I have a message-"

"From the Hokage, yeah, I heard," Sakura said, cutting him off. I wonder if he heard...

Damn right he did! Inner Sakura yelled happily.

"It would be best if you heard this alone," Kakashi said, ignoring Naruto's growing anger, "Take a walk?"

Sakura glanced back at her angry teammate before nodding and putting down her book. She slowly stood up, dragging her leg across the couch leisurely, not really wanting to be alone with the man that she had so much confusion over at that moment.

She assured Naruto that she was fine before walking out the door with her former teacher.

She still trusted him.

And it was strangely relaxing to be with him...even she'd been angry with him the past few days.

----

Things were unnervingly quiet for the pink-haired kunoichi as they walked down the stairs and out into the dark streets of Konoha, a few lamps lighting the way. Very few people were out at this time of night, so they were generally undisturbed, seeing no acquaintances. Sakura was thankful that she didn't run into someone who would want to know how she was, but at the same time she didn't want this silence between she and the copy ninja.

"So what are you doing out this late?" she finally asked, sticking her hands in her pockets and staying a good distance away from Kakashi. She belatedly realized she was outside in her magenta PJs, but quickly found that Kakashi was also wearing only a pair of black sweatpants and a black T-shirt. She laughed inwardly, thinking that they probably looked ridiculous.

"Couldn't sleep," he responded. She looked over only to see nothing but his mask and headband and restrained the desire to pull it down and see his expressions. Or do something else... Inner Sakura said wickedly. "How about you?"

"Believe it or not, Naruto's not much of a sleeper," she said, fixing her eyes on the ground. She didn't like looking up at his tall figure if she couldn't see anything anyway. "He tends to take naps during the day and stay up late at night...it's pretty aggravating, but since I don't sleep much anyway..."

Kakashi stopped suddenly and she had to take a few steps back to get even with him again. "You haven't been sleeping?" he asked, turning towards her. Concern showed in his onyx eye, and she quickly shook her head, taking in a sharp breath.

"No, no, I'm fine!" she said hastily, "I just...you know...dreams..." He nodded and turned on his heel to keep walking, taking long strides, and she rushed to keep up with him. "So what's Tsunade-sama's message?"

His tone was dry and business-like when he responded, not looking at her, "She wants to know if you'd like to be a part of the team she's sending out to...to save Sasuke."

It was Sakura's turn to stop. She stood still in her tracks, and Kakashi mirrored her perfectly, staying still with her. "You OK?" he said, still facing forward.

She frowned. "Well, it's...it's a lot to ask."

"I know." It was nearly a whisper, but she heard it all the same. Reaching out a hand to brush against his bare, muscular arm, she turned towards him.

"What do you think?"

He kept his face hidden. "I think it's ridiculous."

"Are you going to show me your face? I want to know what you're thinking." When he didn't respond she took his left wrist with her right hand and marched around so that she could look him in the eye. What she saw made her crease her eyebrows in concern; his one visible eye was narrowed beyond belief, and she could tell he was angry.

"I don't know how she could ask you to do that," he said quietly, opening up to her and looking down to make eye contact. Her green eyes showed how startled she was at the sudden display of emotion, and he pulled a tentative hand up to grasp her left arm, remembering all too well the kiss they'd shared the day before she'd been abducted for that short time. How worried he'd been...how angry at himself...it all came back.

"It's because she knows how strong I've become," Sakura responded in just as hushed a tone, her grip on his wrist sliding up his forearm. "I need you to trust me too. That's all I want to do. I want to prove to you and to Naruto how strong I am now...please...let me be strong too."

In the moment of silence that followed, it seemed like a thousand different words were conveyed. Kakashi felt the close proximity to her body and couldn't help but remember Naruto's loud question when he'd been waiting at the door. "Sakura...I heard Naruto say something about me when I walked up to the door..." He couldn't bring himself to say it.

She blushed prettily, looking down at the ground, and his hand automatically went up to brush a lock of pink hair away from her face. Don't do this, Kakashi...

He was dangerously close to kissing her again, and he wouldn't do it without knowing what she wanted...and if she didn't tell him...then he would just take that as his answer. "I do trust you, Sakura..." he said quietly, "Do you trust me enough to..." He was stumbling over his words, and it made him feel young and insecure again. Stay cool... "Do you trust me enough to tell me what you and Naruto were talking about?"

Her eyes began to tear up and his own widened in confusion. "You've always been here for me..." she muttered, obviously embarrassed, "And I just...I didn't think it was wrong the first time and then I thought of what people would think...Naruto was freaked...and your reputation...people would think you were..."

"I don't think I have such a great reputation anyway," he interrupted, dragging his fingertips across her cheek and then holding her chin up to meet his eyes. "And I don't really care."

Inner Sakura had picked up some pompoms and was now cheering loudly in Sakura's head. Kiss him! Kiss him! KISS HIM!

Instead she said something that took much more bravery than kissing him.

"I think I might be falling in love with you."

"Me too," he said. Then, in a swift movement that seemed to take hours, he pulled down his mask and moved towards her face.

She was quicker. He responded slowly in surprise when she pulled herself up by his shoulders and latched her open mouth to his, giving him little time to take control and push his tongue past her teeth. Taking advantage of the situation he slid his strong arms around her waist and held her limp in his arms as she tilted her head and lightly brushed her teeth over his lips, sending a shiver down his spine. Her long, slender fingers dragged up his neck and roamed over his scalp, tangling in his messy hair.

Her hands suddenly went in the opposite direction, roaming down his muscular back and brushing against his shoulder blades through his thin T-shirt. He groaned slightly and pulled her up against him to where her toes just barely brushed against the ground, giving him better access to her neck. She gingerly touched his flexed arm muscles and he responded with butterfly kisses along her jaw line, nibbling on her earlobe lightly and having to hold back from all the times he'd wanted her for the past few days.

An awkward cough pulled them apart quickly and Sakura looked back while Kakashi hastily pushed up his mask.

Naruto.

Sakura had disappeared from Kakashi's side and reappeared at Naruto's throat in just a few seconds. The blonde cowered in surprise, falling backwards. "S-Saku-"

"YOU TELL ANYONE AND YOU'RE DEAD!" she said threateningly.

He shivered and nodded, but Sakura kept her death grip on his orange T-shirt, so he looked back at Kakashi in distress. "Uh, Sensei, could you tell her to let go of me...?"

Kakashi laughed and Sakura smiled slightly, relinquishing her grip on Naruto. The younger man stretched his shoulders uncomfortably, scratching his head as the silver-haired man got closer. "It's Kakashi...it's been Kakashi since you became jounin," he said. Naruto grinned awkwardly, keeping a hand on the back of his head.

"So...this means that you and Sakura are a couple?" he said, his voice cracking in anxiety.

Sakura's glare returned. "Don't. Tell. Anyone!"

He put his hands up in self-defense at risk for another attack. "I won't, I promise!" he said, terrified at the kunoichi's wrath.

Silence set in. Naruto didn't leave. Finally, Kakashi shifted uncomfortably, coughing. "If you'd leave, we'll follow you in a few minutes..."

Naruto hastily nodded and took off, leaving them alone again.

After making sure he was gone, Sakura turned towards her new lover and put her arms around his neck, smiling quickly and shrugging her shoulders. "I guess we should just stop now...we have to go with Naruto..."

"Yes," he said quietly, looking down at her with that one droopy eye. She frowned in annoyance and brought a hand to pull his mask down while she looked at him. Seeing that gorgeous, serious face always made a shock go through her, and he smiled as he watched her gaze at him. "I need to tell you...you'll have to get close to Orochimaru and do plenty of acting if you do this mission...and you might have to touch him...pretend you want..."

It was getting more and more difficult for him to tell her and she put a finger over his swiftly put a finger to his lips, silencing him. "I get it. I thought that's what it would be like anyway."

"But I'll be there. I'll be there watching to make sure he doesn't hurt you."

She nodded. "I thought you'd do that too...so..." She pulled away from him and took his hand firmly in hers. "Let's go back to Naruto's. We'll fill him in there."

He smiled at her and they walked back down the road.

----

Kakashi didn't want to part with Sakura that night, but Naruto refused to let her go home with him. They wouldn't have been doing anything - too - sexual, that was certain...Sakura was young, and would still be a virgin if she'd had any say in it, and Kakashi wasn't going to push her to do anything she wasn't ready for. But Naruto was adamant.

Sakura turned towards her loud teammate after Kakashi had left, a dissatisfied glare on her face.

"Sorry, Sakura..." Naruto mumbled, "I just couldn't've gone to sleep tonight knowing that you were gettin' freaky with Sensei..."

"NARUTO!" she said angrily, her glare deepening.

"Hey, it's true!" he whined defensively, "Now that you two are making out in the streets I can't let you spend the night together!!!!!!"

"You're just jealous that you're not getting any," she teased, a smile creeping its way onto her face.

Naruto's face bunched up in anger, quickly turning red. "I am not!" he argued, crossing his arms.

Sakura chuckled, walking into the living room and flopping back down on the couch. It was now about two in the morning...and she would do anything to kill her anxiety. She, Kakashi, and Naruto were meeting Tsunade the next day to discuss the details of the mission, and she wasn't exactly looking forward to it. "So how many sleepovers have you had with Hinata?"

Naruto's eyes nearly became invisible; they were squeezed shut so tightly. "That's no fair..."

"See, you're jealous."

"It's Sensei, Sakura." She looked up from her book at him, troubled by his serious tone of voice. He looked at her seriously, his bright blue eyes dulled a little. "When are you planning on telling the village? You know this can't go any farther than a fling..."

This was one of those moments Sakura wished Naruto was still blissfully young and ignorant, but she knew he was right. There really were so many problems in regard to her relationship with Kakashi; marriage was almost out of the question, and it certainly would be if her parents were still alive. Would Tsunade allow her to be with him? Don't think so...

She frowned at her teammate. "Why'd you have to go and ruin the moment, Naruto?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Just a thought."

An important one too.

How was this going to work?

----

Thankfully, Naruto went to bed soon after that and Sakura was allowed more sleep than usual for their meeting with the Hokage the next day. That morning she dressed in her typical red dress and black tights, tying her headband around her hair. Naruto groggily put on a tight black T-shirt and black pants, zipping up an orange vest over his shirt before ambling into the kitchen to get something to eat.

Kakashi was already sitting at the table when Sakura emerged from the bathroom with shiny, clean hair after a short shower, greeting her with a "yo". Naruto was vacuuming up a second cup of coffee as she fixed herself some. "Coffee?" she asked Kakashi, trying to swallow her nervousness about the mission.

"No, thanks," he answered, "You alright?"

She sat down next to him and proceeded to watch Naruto pick up a spoon of cereal and miss his mouth by a few inches. "I'm fine...just a little nervous."

Kakashi's hand found her knee under the table and gave it a comforting squeeze, and she turned towards him, smiling. Naruto was instantly on alert. "Sensei..." he said threateningly.

"Not in front of you, I know," he drawled, "But if you plan on keeping an eye on Sakura at all times, when am I supposed to spend time with my favorite student?"

She swatted him in the head as Naruto fell out of his chair. Sakura knew that the silver-haired man was only trying to freak out the blonde.

After a few minutes they revived Naruto and left for the Hokage's office. Sakura found herself looking up at Kakashi repeatedly, and he discovered the same thing. They both wanted to touch each other so badly, but had to put on an act when others were around them...Sakura thought about Naruto's point last night, annoyed by that little thought making her even more agitated.

Meanwhile, Kakashi was worried about Sasuke's return. How would it change things between him and Sakura? Would it change things at all? Would she go running back into the Uchiha's arms and completely forget about that old man who'd been hitting on her...

She wouldn't do that, he told himself firmly.

But he didn't really believe it.

After reaching the main building they walked to her office, Sakura and Naruto taking seats in front of the desk and Kakashi leaning back in a corner. Tsunade made her way inside a few minutes after they arrived, followed by two ANBU. They stood in the opposite corner from Kakashi, silently watching through their white masks.

"Well you're early, Kakashi," Tsunade said as she sat down, looking up at the tall ninja. He nodded, not caring to say anything; he hadn't realized that he'd broken tradition. "So, Sakura..." The older woman clasped her hands together on the desk. "You know why you're here?"

"Yes, Hokage," she said quietly. Kakashi looked over, trying to catch a glimpse of her face, but her head was tilted downwards and her short hair and made a pink curtain across her features.

"Kakashi's filled you in on most of the details?"

She nodded, and Kakashi looked from her to Naruto. He was surprised that hyperactive blonde hadn't already said something.

"Well, I want to warn you...you're going to have to get close to him and bring out Sasuke's strength in him while you activate the seal. Judging on the strength of your chakra and your skills as a medic, you should be able to make a seal stronger than the original Kakashi placed on him all those years ago...so it should hold. Obviously, Orochimaru is weakened already."

Naruto chose that moment to cut in. "But we'll find a way to sneak in and make sure he doesn't hurt Sakura, right?"

Tsunade nodded. "Of course. We won't send her in alone...and if you two are compromised, it's an automatic abort. Your job is to make sure Sakura is unharmed."

Both men nodded, and Tsunade continued. "I would send ANBU with you, but our best are already out in the field hunting down the remainder of the Sound shinobi...most are gone, and considering Orochimaru's erratic movements lately, I doubt he has any with him. He's working alone, so it shouldn't be hard to take him out if necessary."

"Take him..." Sakura mumbled, "You mean you'd want them to kill Sasuke?!"

Tsunade nodded. "We don't want you getting hurt."

She gave Naruto a glance before turning her attention to Kakashi. "I trust that both you and Naruto will take good care of my student?"

Kakashi nodded, making sure that the Hokage saw the look in his eyes. He would take good care of Sakura.

Tsunade stared at him after seeing that look and he quickly averted his gaze, looking up at the ceiling as if in boredom.

She thought she'd caught something else there.

----

The trio decided to go out to the teahouse for lunch that day, but Naruto refused to stay because they didn't have ramen. He seemed to have forgotten about protecting Sakura from their old sensei.

They both ate, Kakashi making sure that nobody recognizable was around before pushing down his mask and hastily gulping down his food. Sakura gazed across at him, glad to know that he felt secure with her.

After lunch they slowly left the restaurant, walking along Konoha's streets restfully. There was a tough mission ahead of them.

"You want to train?" she asked.

"Beautiful day for training," he said, agreeing without even saying yes. They directed their course to the forest.

A short sparring session left them both out of breath, and Kakashi let himself slide down the tree he was leaning against. Sakura joined him, sitting down in the grass and laying her head in his lap.

A few minutes of silence passed. Kakashi reached out a hand and absently played with her hair as she looked up at his unmasked face.

"I'm worried," she finally said.

"About what?"

"I'm worried that...that he's going to hurt me."

Kakashi made eye contact with her, raising an eyebrow. "You can trust me."

"I don't want him to touch me."

He gently pulled her up and she ended up in his lap as he gazed into her eyes. "It'll be alright."

She leaned forward and pressed her lips chastely against his, and he shifted under her as she turned, straddling him. His mind spun at that action and he deepened the kiss.

His tongue wet her lips before she pushed up against him, her chest pressing against his and driving him insane. His kisses quickly moved down to her jaw and then to her neck, and she tilted her head, letting her hot breath hit his ear. This drove him even closer to the edge and he tightened his grip on her, his fingers wrapping around the back of her neck. Her own hands seemed to have a life of their own as one slowly unzipped his vest and slipped it off of his shoulders.

The action seemed to drive him even further. His mouth moved lower, and his teeth scraped against her collar bone. He let out a low moan as she slipped her hands inside his shirt, tracing his muscular stomach, but just as quickly, he pulled away.

She frowned, catching her breath. "What's wrong?"

"We can't do this now," he said, "We need to focus on what's ahead...when we get back...you can spend the night at my apartment again."

She smiled, nodding. "Yes...when we get back. I'm all yours."

"I'm looking forward to it."

----

He went to bed early that night, preparing for the mission.

The nightmares were worse than ever.

In the first, the usual images...death. Loneliness. Goodbyes.

Then they got more elaborate...the mission. Everything went well, and Sakura ended up in Sasuke's bedroom. Naruto was fighting some henchman, and Kakashi stood guard outside of the door. "Don't come in unless I scream for help," she said. Sasuke nodded and then forced her into the room, but Kakashi followed anyway. Nobody seemed to care about his presence as he stood at the door and watched Sasuke take off her clothes and begin to suck on her pure flesh. The dark-haired man ravished her breasts and then moved down to her core, licking at her inner thighs and finally finding his target.

She was moaning in pleasure. "You can leave," she told Kakashi happily. "I'll be fine here with Sasuke."

He woke up in a cold sweat, sitting up and looking around to make sure he was still at home, in bed. There was no Sakura, and there was no Sasuke. Good.

The images stayed with him for the rest of the night though.

It was the real reason that he'd stopped her. He'd been enjoying the intimate moment with Sakura...but then he'd thought of Sasuke. Her childhood love.

He was worried that she would forget about him when she found the Uchiha again, and he wanted to make sure she wanted him before he took her as his own...and he planned on doing just that when they got back.

If she would still have him, that is.

----

A/N: I'm very, VERY pleased with this chapter...the length is perfect, and I don't think any of it is redundant or anything...let me know if you liked the fluff.

Please please PLEASE review!!!!!!!!!

And I'm reconsidering getting a beta...I don't know if I'm dedicated enough and want to do that great of a job to have someone proofread for me...I'll let you know if I decide otherwise though.

Also, I just want to let you know that on this site there are some things meant to be in bold or italics that don't work because of the program I use. Please excuse some of the weirdness.

--Kat
Sign up to rate and review this story