Categories > Original > Fantasy > The Field Guide to the Realms of Alerfa

The World of Dierveld

by Lord-of-Altair 0 reviews

The world of the beastmen.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2012-12-22 - Updated: 2012-12-23 - 2887 words

0Unrated
The World of Dierveld

The world of Dierveld is quite a diverse world populated with nagas, bird people, werefolk and beastmen. There are also a lot of human and other foreign being settlements on this world as well.

Despite it being a world full of beast people, a lot of the beast people in Dierveld are actually quite intelligent and cunning beings. A lot of these creatures have been the product of intermarrying between different species from other worlds of Alerfa. The oldest of the clans are the bird people, and the nagas while the youngest clans are the Werefolk, which came from the yokai of Yoseitochi and either humans or witches being intermarried and mating with one another.

In Dierveld, you'll never know what you'll run into, but it's always good to play it safe, since the clans of Dierveld are very unpredictable beings.

Bird Clans:

Harpy

The harpies are a race of bird people who are known to be cunning and unpredictable. They have human torso and limbs, but their faces are bird-like (even with a beak), as well as their talon like hands, feet and wings.

Harpies are harsh judges. People that they see to be brave, selfless, virtuous and kind hearted, those harpies will take a liking to those sort of people. But if they see a person that is rude, arrogant, selfish and mean spirited, those harpies will punish those people. Sometimes, harpies are even known to kill people that they think are horrible and evil. However, there are some misguided harpies out there to punish and torture the wrong people.

Harpies are notorious for their loud voices and bad manners. They're not exactely the cleanest and well behaved creatures in Dierveld, but there are some that mean well and are rather kind hearted once you get to know them well.

Lifespan: 7,000 to 15,000 years

Current Harpy deity: Thalna

Common classes: Evoker, Illusionist, Chemist, Alchemist, Magus, Arch Magus, Grand Magus, Thief, Bandit, Pictomancer

Garuda

The Garuda race are a race of bird people who look similar to harpies. Unlike harpies, Garudas are more calm, laid back and much more soft spoken. Garudas also prefer warm, moist, tropical climates over colder, harsher climates.

It is well known that Garudas are deathly afraid of nagas, especially ones that are venomous. Nagas usually see Garudas as a source of food and their hides and feathers are seen as a source of clothing. Garudas try to avoid nagas whenever they could.

Lifespan: 8,000 to 10,000 years

Current Garuda deity: Lei Gong

Classes: High Priest, Bishop, Sage, Evoker, Paladin, Lancer, Runic Knight, Dual Blade Knight, Pictomancer, Samurai, Shogun

Zwaan

The Zwaans are a race of swan-like bird people that inhabit Dierveld. Zwaans are very different from harpies and garudas, with their faces being more humanoid without a jagged beak. Their feathers and wings are usually white, black, or black and white. Their skin colors are usually pinkish, yellowish, tan or light blue.

Zwaans are known to transform into swan form, so they can easily escape from monster predators. They can change from humanoid form to swan form at will.

Zwaans are known to be fiercely protective of their belongings and homelands. It's best not to get on a Zwaan's bad side, or you'll probably either end up a slave or worse yet, dead.

Lifespan: 13,500 years

Current Zwaan deity: Venus

Classes: Magic knight, Runic knight, Dual blade knight, Paladin, Dark Knight, Lancer, Sun Lancer, Light Armor knight, Beastmaster, Illusionist, Ranger, Enchantress

Valravn

Valravns are humanoid raven people who lurk in the plains of Dierveld. Valravns are a rather intelligent, but shy race of birdfolk whose origins are shrouded in mystery. Usually, Valravns have gold, red, brown or black feathers and hair (white in albinos), red, yellow or green eyes, and can alter from humanoid form to raven form at will.

Little is known about the mysterious Valravns, other than they travel in groups and are usually a race that isolates themselves from other races. They tend to leave foreign races alone unless they feel threatened or provoked.

Lifespan: Unknown to most outside races

Current Valravn deity: Unknown to everyone but the Valravns themselves

Classes: Necromancers, Dark Knight, Berserkers, Lancer, Lunar Lancer, Light Armor, Magus, Arch-Magus, Grand Magus, Devil Shaman, Beastmaster, Ninja, Nightblade, Illusionist, Ranger, Enchantress, Martial Artist, Black Belt

Naga Clans:

About the Naga clans: A naga is a creature that has a humanoid upper half and a serpentine lower half. Most nagas have a tail or split tails for hair, while the hooded nagas have a cobra hood for hair, nagacoatls have soft, downy hair that is usually the color of their feathers and rattle nagas have a rattle on both their tail hair and at the end of their tails.

There are three species of non-venomous naga clans and three species of venomous naga clans. Here are the six clans.

Tree Naga (non-venomous)

Tree nagas got their name from their love of the tree tops. Tree nagas have built many houses and other buildings in the trees. Tree nagas try to be friendly with other races, but aren't afraid to strike back at their enemies if they feel threatened.

Lifespan: 12,000 years

Current Tree Naga deity: Ladon

Common classes: Lancer, Sun Lancer, Lunar Lancer, Beastmaster, Runic knight, Dual blade knight, Geomancer, Magus, Arch Magus, Evoker

Nagacoatl (non-venomous)

The Nagacoatls are a race of feathered nagas. The Nagacoatls are the descendants of Houoh phoenixes who made their home in Dierveld and their Tree naga or Ground naga mates. Like their phoenix counterparts, male Nagacoatls have bright hair, feathers and plumage, while the females Nagacoatls have dull, earthy colored hair and feathers. The unique thing about Nagacoatls is that they have hair instead of a snake tail or two uptop their heads.

Personality wise, Nagacoatls are normally a neutral race of beings. They will be kind and respectful for those who show them kindness and respect back. They will usually attack when threatened or provoked.

Lifespan: 30,000 years

Current Nagacoatl deity: Teela

Common classes: Lancer, Song Maiden, Minstrel, Paladin, Evoker, Cleric, High Priest, Bishop, Sage, Beastmaster, Sun Lancer

Ground Naga (non-venomous)

Even though Ground Nagas look nearly identical to Tree Nagas, there are a few things that set the two species of naga apart. Ground Nagas cannot climb trees, while Tree Nagas can. Ground Nagas can burrow underground and take shelter underground when danger strikes, while Tree Nagas cannot burrow underground. Ground Nagas also blend in better with their environments, while Tree Nagas usually stand out more.

It's a known fact that Ground Nagas and Viper Nagas are rival clans, with Viper Nagas being the more deadlier of the two clans. So the Ground Nagas build their homes underground, so they can stay hidden from Viper Nagas, as well as other deadly outside races. But Ground Nagas get along with dragons and phoenixes of the Earth element, in fact, they are also one of the naga races that helped create the feathed Nagacoatls.

Lifespan: 9,000 years

Current Ground Naga deity: Jormungandur

Common classes: Geomancer, Thief, Bandit, Chemist, Alchemist, Heavy Armors, Berserkers, Light Armor knight

Hooded Naga (venomous)

The Hooded Naga are a very fierce and hardy race of beings. These nagas have a cobra's hood for hair, hence their name. Their venom is so lethal, that an adult human can die from a single bite in less than 15 minutes. They can also spit their venom, which can irritate the skin and eyes of their enemies.

Hooded Nagas live in the harsh desert climates of Dierveld. They can withstand the dry, arid weather and the intense heat of their desert homelands. They can go without water for a while too, since they are so well adapted to living in the desert.

Lifespan: 8,000 years

Current Hooded Naga deity: Hydros

Common classes: Ninja, Nightblade, Kunoichi Theif, Bandit, Enchantress, Berserkers

Adder Naga (venomous)

Like the Hooded Naga, Adder Nagas are venomous. Unlike Hooded Nagas, they live in cooler climates and hibernate during the winter. Adder Nagas also cannot spit out venom like their hooded counterparts nor is their venom as potent either. Larger species who have been bit by Adder Nagas usually survive and deaths from their bites are rare with larger and more hardier species of beings. Smaller and much more fragile beings, on the other hand, aren't so lucky. Though bites from the Adder Naga will cause the hardy beings to get rather sick.

The scales on Adder nagas range from being pure black or black and gray to black and yellow or gray and white.

Lifespan: 8,040 years

Current Adder Naga deity: Atum

Common classes: Magic Knight, Alchemist, Chemist, Arch-Magus, Magus, Grand Magus, Geomancer, Beastmaster

Rattle Naga (venomous)

Rattle Nagas are a very distinct race of nagas. On both their head and lower tails, there is a rattle at the end of the tail that gives off a distinct rattling noise when there is either prey or a threat. Their tail scales come in brown, tan, gold, parti-colored or even white, which albino Rattle nagas are rather common.

Rattle Nagas live in humid, rocky areas of Dierveld. They are usually no threat unless the Rattle Nagas themselves are feeling threatened or provoked. Unless you have healing equipment with you and treat the wound right away, the Rattle Nagas bite can be rather fatal. But usually, Rattle Nagas warn their enemies or prey with their loud rattle. In cases like this, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Lifespan: 9,001

Current Rattle Naga deity: Xiuh

Common classes: Dual Blade knight, Evoker, Dark Knight, Paladin, Magic Knight, Light Armor Knight, Berserker, Runic Knight, Samurai, Shogun



Beastman races:

Werefolk

The werefolk are actually the result of yokai and either humans or witches intermarrying and producing offspring together. These creatures appear as regular people during the day, but by night (depending on the moon phase), they transform into fearsome animals, ranging from wolves and tigers, to rats and bears.

The werefolk have been feared or revered in many human clans. They are the most unpredictable and powerful of creatures in Dierveld. Some are more magically inclined (werecats and werehyenas), while others are more physically inclined (werewolves and werebruins).

Lifespans: Varies, depending on if they have witch or human ancestry.

Current Werefolk deity: Lycaon

Common classes: (Magical) Magus, Arch-Magus, Grand Magus, Magic knight, Cleric, High Priest, Bishop, Sage, Enchantress, Pictomancer, Chemist, Necomancer, Devil Shaman. (Physical) Dual blade knight, Thief, Bandit, Ninja, Nightblade, Kunoichi, Berserker, Heavy Armor Knight, Samurai, Shogun, Martial Artist, Black Belt

Wendigo

Wendigos were once regular people (human or otherwise) that lived in Dierveld. But once they resorted to immoral acts, such as cannibalism (in times not of famine), torture, mass murder and sexual assault, they were doomed to become a savage beast known as a wendigo.

The Wendigo clan are tall, beastly beings, with blank eyes, sharp yellow or green teeth and are rather thin, despite being gluttonous beings.

The only ways to kill a wendigo is to use magic of the holy and healing elements, silver weapons and exposing them to intense light. Whatever you do, avoid being bitten or clawed by a wendigo, or you'll sadly transform into one of those dreaded beings.

Lifespan: Undead

Current Wendigo deity: Unknown

Common classes: Varies from person to person.

Sphinx

Depending on what lore you are researching, the sphinxes are either feared or revered by different human clans. The sphinx clans have the legs and tail of a lion, wings of a hawk, furry claw like hands with opposable thumbs and a humanoid upper half complete with cat ears.

Sphinxes are fast and agile like a big cat, can fly like an eagle and are as cunning and intelligent like a fox. It's usually common for male Sphinxes to be calm, cool and level head, and for female Sphinxes to be energetic, fiery and out going. However, both genders don't put up with bad behavior from other. Instead of punishing their foes right away, they will spring pop quizzes and guessing games on them instead. If their foe guessed the wrong answer, the Sphinx will find a suitable punishment for their naughty victim.

The Sphinx clan are one of the most magically powerful clans in Dierveld, and can learn spells and techniques a lot faster than the other clans of Dierveld. Sphinxes usually make good allies for those who prefer magic users, just please, don't get on their bad side.

Lifespans: 9,999 years

Current Sphinx deity: Nora Nair

Common classes: Pictomancer, Enchantress, Paladin, Illusionist, Evoker, Alchemist, Chemist, Dark Knight, Magus, Arch-Magus, Grand Magus, Magic Knight, Runic Knight, Scholar


Pillaiyar

Pillaiyars are a race of beast men with the faces, ears and feet of an elephant (and sometimes, even tusks of an Elephant too). Their skin colors come in blue, pink, red, green or yellow.

Pillaiyars are for the most part, a herbivore race, but they have a great love for liquor and sweet tasting food. During special occasions or events, the finest of wines are served with their meals at feasts.

While the Pillaiyars are physically and magically strong, they are not as nimble nor as graceful like the other denizens of Dierveld. Pillaiyars have a bad habit of being clumsy or aloof to things. However, what they lack in speed they make up for in intelligence and wisdom.

The Pilliyars are a hardy and wise race of beings who can be a force to reckon with in Dierveld.

Lifespans: 1,500 years

Current Pillaiyar deity: Ganapati

Common classes: Paladin, Cleric, High Priest, Bishop, Sage, Magic Knight, Runic Knight, Berserker, Heavy Armor Knight, Evoker, Samurai, Shogun, Alchemist, Geomancer


Uktokki

The Uktokki are a race of beastmen with rabbit faces, ears, skin tones, and even a cotton tail. Uktokki are a herbivore race of beings, who love sweet fruits and vegetables. Despite the fact that most Uktokki are herbivores, some Uktokki have been known to have a fearsome streak when harassed or enraged.

Uktokki are known for their speed and intelligence, but lack in the physical strength department. They rely on their stealth and wits to outsmart an enemy. Uktokki are known to have a trickster side to them, relying on their speed to snatch something that attracts them. The most common of classes amongst the Uktokki are various thief and ninja classes. They are also fond of gambling as well.

Lifespans: 999 years

Current Uktokki deity: Chang-O

Common classes: Ninja, Kunoichi, Nightblade, Theif, Bandit, Light Armor Knight, Minstrel, Songmaiden, Martial Artist, Black belt, Pictomancer


Varahah

The Varahah are a race of porcine people. Both genders have a pig like appearance, but only males have tusks. Skin colors come in pink, black, brown, white, pink with black spots or white with black spots.

Varahahs are known for their keen sense of smell and taste. They can sniff out ingredients used for food, tonics, potions or elixirs, as well as pick up the scents of traps and various other threats. Varahahs are skilled chefs and chemists, fixing up the finest of food and drinks, as well as brewing the finest tonics and elixirs. Don't mess with a Varahah or you just might get a taste of your own medicine.

Lifespans: 855 years

Current Varahah deity: Henwen

Common classes: Chemist, Alchemist, Beast Master, Ranger, Illusionist, Evoker, Geomancer, Pictomancer, High Priest, Cleric, Sage, Magus, Arch Magus, Grand Magus


Tikbalang (male)/Anggitay (female)

The Varahah are a race of porcine people. Both genders have a pig like appearance, but only males have tusks. Skin colors come in pink, black, brown, white, pink with black spots or white with black spots.

Varahahs are known for their keen sense of smell and taste. They can sniff out ingredients used for food, tonics, potions or elixirs, as well as pick up the scents of traps and various other threats. Varahahs are skilled chefs and chemists, fixing up the finest of food and drinks, as well as brewing the finest tonics and elixirs. Don't mess with a Varahah or you just might get a taste of your own medicine.

Lifespans: 855 years

Current Varahah deity: Henwen

Common classes: Chemist, Alchemist, Beast Master, Ranger, Illusionist, Evoker, Geomancer, Pictomancer, High Priest, Cleric, Sage, Magus, Arch Magus, Grand Magus



Humans in Dierveld:

Humans are one of the biggest minority races in Dierveld. But that doesn't mean it's a safer place for humans, especially the foolish ones.

It is a well known fact that some people amongst the werefolk have human ancestry and human hybrids in Dierveld are actually pretty common. However, werefolk with witch ancestry tend to have longer life spans than werefolk with human ancestry. But either way, the hybrid beings can be rather powerful.

Whatever you do, never ever trespass on the territory of these creatures. The clans of Dierveld are very protective of their homelands and if you trespass or start fights with them, expect to be treated with hostility.

Minority races:

Another big minority race is the yokai of Yoseitochi. In fact, the animal related yokai helped out with creating the werefolk clan with their human or witch lovers. Often times, the animal related yokai can be easily mistaken for werefolk, but the major difference is that those type of yokai can change form at will, while the werefolk change during various phases of the moon.

Other minorities include the witches of the Hulder, Trowe, Vila and Banshee clans, various houoh phoenix and dragonite clans, as well as various seabird clans from Meerlo.
Sign up to rate and review this story