Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Personalized One-shots! :D

Walk The Mile

by atomickilljoy 26 reviews

Jalex one shot for AshIsNotOnFire.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2013-01-13 - Updated: 2013-01-14 - 1358 words

0Unrated
This is an AU type of thing. This is entirely fictional. I hope I did your OTP justice! Sorry if I didn't!

"Haha! FAGGOT!" someone screamed at Alex as he walked home from school.

Alex ignored the insult. He was focused on one thing: getting to his room. The only place someone wouldn't judge him for being gay, or being different. Ever since Alex came out of the closet, his friends either abandoned him, or started tormenting him about it. Only one guy was still his friend, but Alex hardly talked to him anymore. He had a crush on him, and he didn't need any pity from him. He didn't need any pity from Jack.

Home wasn't any better. His dad wouldn't stop drinking, which meant he wouldn't stop verbally abusing Alex. Sometimes, he beat Alex, too. He always hoped that his house was empty, and his dad went to the bar to drink, so he wouldn't be there to torment him.

Alex finally reached his front door. His heart was beating so fast as he took his key and put it in the keyhole. His heart was about to come out of his chest as he turned the key. A click was heard. Alex slowly opened the door, only to be greeted by a bottle smacking the side of his face.

"Took ya long enough!" a rough voice snapped. His dad. "I'm going out to drink! You better not pull any crap while I'm gone!"

Alex held back tears as he felt blood trickle down his cheek.

Alex's dad shoved him aside as he left the house with a slam of the door. At least he's gone. Alex let out a sigh of relief as he went upstairs to the bathroom, where he inspected the damage.

"Huh. This one's pretty bad." Alex mumbled, as he cleaned his face up.

**

When he was done, he went to his room. He took out his most prized possession from under his bed: a navy blue diary cover with a small lock attached. Alex fished out the key from under his bed and unlocked his diary. He took out a pen and started to write.

/Dear Diary,

As usual, today was a shitty day. Jake and his group of gorillas shoved me in my locker...again. I was there for three hours this time. I think that's my record. Luckily, Jack was the one who saved me. Jack. That sexy sonofabitch. I'm so glad he's my friend...

NO.

I do NOT need Jack Barakat's pity.

Anyways, when I got out, I thanked him and went my own way, and, as expected, Jake was right there, waiting to give me my afternoon beating. Like I don't get enough of this at home. I can't take it anymore, Diary. I can't.../

Alex started to cry. He always had thought that he could handle whatever life threw at him. But, lately, it's all too much. He took out his second most prized possession: a razor. He rolled up his sleeves and made a small cut on his right wrist. He looked at it and frowned. The cut didn't numb him enough. The cut didn't make Jake and Jack and his dad disappear. He cut deeper. And deeper. Soon, his right wrist was messy, so he cut on his left wrist. He cut deeper. The pain wasn't numbing him enough. It wasn't making his life better. He cut deeper, and soon, his eyes closed as the darkness washed over him.

***

Alex's eyes shot open. Bright lights blurred his vision. He lifted an arm to cover his eyes, but felt his arm burning. It suddenly occurred to him that he was in a hospital. That was followed by the memory of what he had done and why he was there.

"Fuck." Alex groaned, as he took a look at his arm and examined what he had done to himself.

"Rest your arm." came a voice from the corner.

"Jack?" Alex mumbled groggily. "Why are you here?"

"Well, for starters, your dad dropped you off at the hospital. Didn't even check you in. Just dropped you at the entrance. I'm here because, well, news spreads quickly. When I heard, I came running. It's pretty evident what you had done to yourself. Why would you-"

"Listen, " Alex cut Jack off "Before you sit there and judge me, thinking that I'm a depressed faggot who has nothing better to do but try and get their 15 minutes of fame on the 5 O' Clock news, I want you to know that the past year has been hell for me. You can sit there and judge me, but you don't know shit until you've walked a mile in my shoes."

"Hey, I'm not here to judge you." Jack said, softly "I just want to be here for you. No one's judging anyone right now."

Alex stayed silent. There was really no getting out of this. Jack was going to stay.

"Thanks, Jack." Alex mumbled.

"That's what friends do." Jack said, smiling.

Oh, right. Friends.

"Listen, can you do me a favor? Can you go by my house and get my diary and the key? Its under my bed." Alex asked.

"Sure." Jack said, getting up from his seat.

***

Jack wondered if he should do it. He wondered if he should stick the key in the lock, turn it, and walk the mile in Alex's shoes. He had everything he needed: the key, the diary, the cozy seat in Alex's bedroom. All he needed now was the will power. Jack's life hasn't been the greatest, but he was much more fortunate than Alex. He had friends that kept his secret and accepted him for who he was...or his sexual orientation, in this case. Alex wasn't so lucky.

Jack finally got the courage to turn that key and walk the mile. His life would never be the same.

Page after page was a step in Alex's shoes. He wanted to walk the mile. Well, he got his wish. He read about Alex's dad, his friends, his bullies, and his crush: Jack. He read about how hard he had it. About how he would wish his life was over. About how everyday was the day he takes a razor to his skin, hoping to slice the slice that ends it all. Jack walked the mile, alright.

Jack was in tears by the time he reached the most recent entry. He had no idea. He knew Alex was going through some rough shit, but wow. He really had no idea. Jack always thought he knew.

Apparently, he didn't.

**

Alex woke up to Jack staring at him. Alex grew nervous. He didn't know why he was staring at him. The silence between them was unbearable.

"I read your diary." Jack said.

Alex's hands balked up into fists. He opened his mouth to speak, or most likely yell, when Jack cut him off.

"Before you say anything, I want to tell you that I did it. I walked a mile in your shoes. Alex, I'm sorry. I had no fucking clue that you had it that rough. I knew you had it hard but...jesus." Jack said, his eyes welling up with tears.

Alex felt sorry for Jack. He didn't want to see Jack cry.

"Hey, it's okay." Alex whispered, trying his best to comfort Jack.

"No, it isn't. This could've all been prevented if I had just told you how I felt about you." Jack said.

"How you...feel about me?" Alex asked.

"Yeah. Alex, I love you. I always have." Jack said.

Alex was speechless. He didn't know what to say. Turns out, he didn't have to say anything. He felt Jack's lips upon his in a matter of seconds, leaving Alex breathless when they pulled away.

They both smiled at each other.

They couldn't make the bullies go away, or become magically accepted into their old circle of friends, but Jack knew that they could face whatever life through at them, together. It didn't matter what they had to face in life.

Everything would be okay just as long as they faced it together.
Sign up to rate and review this story