Categories > TV > WWE

By Your Side

by tjsparkles 0 reviews

She was even more persistent than he was, and she wasn't going away. Jon Moxley/OC.

Category: WWE - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2013-02-16 - Updated: 2013-02-16 - 959 words - Complete

2Original
Jon Moxley growled in frustration as he slammed back his second shot of whiskey. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and glared at the bartender as he motioned for another shot. The bartender raised an eyebrow but complied with Jon's request, shaking his head as he did so.

“Why won't she leave me alone?” he mumbled in confusion. His friend Thumbtack Jack, better known as TJ, looked up from the book he was reading and grinned crookedly.

“She's persistent.”

Jon snickered. Persistent. He himself was persistent, but not to this degree. In fact, this girl might just be the most persistent, stubborn, determined girl he had ever met. It both intrigued and unnerved him, because Jon didn't fully understand why this girl was wasting her time trying to get to the root of his psyche the way she was. He didn't open up to the few friends he had; what made this girl think that he was going to open up to her, a total stranger? Jon had to admit to himself that he was equally as intrigued by this girl—there was definitely something about her that made him want to spill his darkest secrets—but he wasn't going to let on to anyone about that. As it was, TJ was bugging the crap out of him to just let his walls down and trust this girl. It was easy for TJ to say that. He hadn't been carrying around the trust and abandonment baggage that Jon had for the majority of his life.

“Yeah, I know she is. I wish she'd stop.”

“She won't stop,” TJ replied. “She's a woman.”

“Why?”

“You know about basic anatomy. You know why she is a woman.”

“I've done everything in my power to push this girl away,” Jon traced a ring into the wood of the table with his finger, “and she STILL keeps coming back.”

“Listen to what I am telling you,” TJ urged. “She likes you, man. You like her too, so why don't you stop acting like an asshole to her?”

“You think you have all the answers, don't you? You think you know everything.” But his attempt at sounding sarcastic was half-hearted. He was tired of fighting.

“I know that she likes you. And I know that you like her, too. And maybe, just maybe, you want to show her that you can be a better person.”

“Why the fuck do I let you hang out with me?” Jon glowered at the smaller man. “I don't even like you.”

“You know what I'm telling you is true.” At that moment, TJ turned toward the direction of the door and smiled before looking back at Jon.

“Oh, look. There's your girlfriend now.” He nodded in the direction of the door, but Jon didn't turn around.

“She's not my girlfriend,” Jon replied in a monotone. He didn't even bother to ask TJ if he'd set this up, because it was quite apparent that he had. Jon was quickly losing the will to argue and fight. It just took too much energy to argue with everyone about how he should think, act, and behave. He knew that they had his best interests at heart, her especially, but it wasn't as simple as just allowing everyone around him to help him. For the longest time, Jon had been the only person looking out for himself, and, in hindsight, he could admit that he'd done a pretty poor job of it. He had spent so much time looking for acceptance and approval from the world that he'd lost sight of who he was, and had become a bitter person because of it.

“What are you doing here?”

“TJ called me, said you needed to talk to me. What's going on?” Her eyes flickered down to the glass clenched tightly in Jon's hand, and a sigh escaped her lips before she looked up at the bartender.

“Why didn't you cut him off?”

The bartender shrugged.

“Yeah, no. I'm staying here.” After removing her jacket, she sat down on the stool beside of him. Annoyed, Jon cast a sideways glance at her that he hoped came off as angry.

“Go. Away.”

“Sorry, no. Not doing it. I'm not gonna let you drink yourself into a stupor. The way I see it, Moxley, you have two options: you can come home with me, or I can sit here with you until closing time. Your choice.”

“I like drinking myself into a stupor,” Jon muttered under his breath, but she caught every word.

“You're also a terrible liar.”

“Did you hear me? I told you to go away.”

“And I told you that I'm not going anywhere.” She reached out and took his large, calloused hand in her slim, petite one and squeezed lightly, hoping that Jon would understand what she was trying to do. “I mean that, Jon. I want to be here for you, but I can't do it if you won't let me.”

Sighing, Jon ran a hand over his face. Years of trying to put up a barrier to keep the world away from him had taken its toll on him, and he wanted nothing more than to lay down his armor and wave a white flag in surrender. He'd never had anyone actually care about him before, at least not to this degree, and although he had initially rebuffed her efforts, Jon had found that he liked it when she took care of him. He liked being in her warm, loving, playful presence, even if he didn't have the words to properly express it.

“Okay.”

A smile lit up her face, and she huggled Jon tightly.

“Thank you. Now, how about we get out of here?”
Sign up to rate and review this story