Categories > Original > Romance > Broken Britain

Depths

by EscapeTheAfterlife 0 reviews

Lorrelei worries for her safety quietly after being introduced to yet another gang member

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Published: 2013-02-23 - 1044 words

0Unrated
“Is this where you live?” Lorrelei asked as her, Charlie and the two other boys, whose names she had yet to learn, walked up the front path towards a heavy white wooden door with a black cross painted sloppily on the front. Charlie nodded and she looked around, all of the houses on this street had a black cross on the front door. Territory.
“Don’t look at anyone and don’t touch anything. Not until I’ve spoke to Dan” Charlie said, opening the front door and stepping in, Lorrelei followed and she heard the door shut behind her, the two boys had stayed outside. “Stay here” she did as she was told and watched as Charlie walked into what she assumed was the living room. From where she was stood, she could see a thick fog floating around the room, smoke, and the smell of pot hung heavy in the air. So heavy she almost choked on it. There was a low thud of music, very faint and she couldn’t name the song, coming from upstairs. Then shouting. A door opened and a girl stepped out, followed by the music which grew louder. Behind her was a twisting staircase and a young man, about the same age as Charlie, walked down them, shouting profanities at the young girl who didn’t seem very phased by the volume of his voice. She was an attractive young girl, she can’t have been any older than sixteen, a year older than Lorrelei with flowing dyed red hair and sharp green eyes, high cheek bones, much like Lorrelei’s own and a small stature. Picture pretty but there was something missing, something that Lorrelei couldn’t quite put her finger. It was almost as if the young girl were lost- “Dan said he wants to meet you” Charlie said, breaking Lorrelei’s whirl of wonders. She looked at him and he narrowed his eyes at her before turning his focus to the girl and boy, “Ray, shut the fuck up. Alice, you know the rules” Lorrelei wouldn’t have been human if she was incapable of feeling the sudden tension between them, standing strong like a solid brick wall. Their eyes burnt into each other, Charlie’s blue pools or warning and Alice’s, green emeralds of anger and a hint of self pity. She was first to look away. Charlie looked back at Ray, a tall, strong built guy that you wouldn’t want to bump into in a dark alley, “leave her for a while.” That was all Charlie said before turning back to Lorrelei, “in there” he nodded to the living room door and Lorrelei took a few cautious steps towards it, looking over her shoulder at Charlie who just nodded at the door again. She pushed on it hesitantly and was now stood opposite another boy on a leather chair, he was rolling a joint and didn’t pay her much attention.
“Charlie said you need a place to stay.” His voice was deep and immediately made Lorrelei uncomfortable. She swallowed, unsure if he actually wanted a reply or not. After her long pause, Dan looked up and met her eyes, his were a milky brown, misleading was the only word she could conjure as a description. From how he was sitting, he looked tall, not as well built as Ray but he came across as if he could handle himself. His brown hair came just past his ears and looked like it needed brushing or at least washing. All in all, he looked rough and just like every other guy she’d come across since “The Scenario” – dangerous. “Well, do you?” she shrugged.
“I guess” her voice was no more than an indecisive mumble, after seeing that look in Alice’s eyes, she was beginning to think that even considering the idea of going back with a stranger wasn’t a good idea. Dan sighed and put the joint down on the coffee table in front of him,
“look, love, I aint got time to mess around, now, I know Charlie has a thing with dragging in pretty strays and all but this isn’t a hotel, you either do or you don’t” he stated bluntly, Lorrelei nodded, at least if she was in a house with other people, not much harm could come to her.
“I do. Need a place to stay, I mean” Dan bobbed his head,
“Okay. How old are you?”
“fifteen” Dan took in a sharp breath and sent her an unsure look,
“You’re gonna have to speak to Luke” he said, as if Lorrelei knew who Luke was, “he won’t be back until tomorrow morning though so I guess... One night wouldn’t hurt. Not that he’ll be very happy with that either but” he shrugged it off and Charlie walked in,
“she staying?” he asked, Dan looked at him, his body language was an obvious giveaway that he was slightly peeved.
“You know she’s fifteen” he said, Charlie bit his lip and shuffled around uncomfortable which seemed as though it was out of character for him, even though Lorrelei had met him less than an hour ago, she’d already come to the opinion that he didn’t do that kind of thing. He rolled his shoulders,
“I didn’t” Dan sighed and rolled his eyes, standing up,
“she can stay for the night, but you can answer to Luke in the morning, got it?” Charlie nodded and Dan left the room. Lorrelei stood in silence, waiting for him to speak first but he just looked at her for a few seconds.
“Who’s Luke?” she asked finally. Charlie breathed a small laugh and shook his head, looking to the floor,
“Someone you want to delay meeting for as long as possible.” He looked back up at her, meeting her eyes, “he isn’t the friendliest of characters and I’m not gonna sugar coat it, there is more chance of seeing the gangs join as one than there is him letting you stay” Lorrelei chewed the inside of her right cheek and nodded, it was no surprise, no gang enjoyed taking on new people, especially underage girls.
Sign up to rate and review this story