Categories > Anime/Manga > Full Metal Alchemist > Forbidden Acts

On The Job Training

by HaganeNeko 0 reviews

Winry meets the challenges of her first day on the job.

Category: Full Metal Alchemist - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Edward Elric,Winry Rockbell,Alphonse Elric - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2013-02-24 - 2835 words

0Unrated
Title: Forbidden Acts

Author: HaganeNeko

Pairing: EdxWinry

Rating: It will vary from PG-13 to NC-17. An individual rating will be given for each chapter. This chapter is rated PG-13.


Disclaimer: Fullmetal Alchemist/Hagane no Renkinjutsushi belongs to Hiromu Arakawa, Bones, TBS, Square Enix, Viz, and Funimation. No infringement is intended. Written for entertainment purposes only; I make nothing from this fic.


My eternal gratitude to my awesome beta, elasg/ArielPHF ! You taught me how to get out of my own way! Of course, additional thanks to ibshafer for telling me I needed to get out of my own way in the first place!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 2: On the Job Training

While Winry knew there would be a fair amount of activity even at five in the morning, it was nothing like what she discovered when reporting to work her first day. Even before she’d opened the servant’s entrance door she could hear the bustle of activity, like a busy beehive, though the heavy wooden door.

The noise grew alarmingly louder once she opened it and it took a moment for her to work up enough courage to take her first step in.

The large, well-lit foyer she found herself in was lined with wood cabinets and open cubbies, obviously intended for the staff’s use. Through the doorway at the other end she could see what looked to be the kitchen. It was then the young woman understood that what she’d heard outside was the harsh cacophony of rattling pots and pans being moved about.

“H-hello?” she called timidly. When no one answered she cleared her throat and tried again, this time more boldly.

“Hello? Is anyone there?” She winced at her own question; of course there was someone here or there wouldn’t be enough noise to wake the dead. “I’m new here and I need to speak to Ms. Riza.”

The decibel level dropped off a bit and a head silhouetted by light from the kitchen appeared around the edge of the doorframe.

“Hey there! Just wait a moment and I’ll get her!” The voice, obviously male, spoke over the din. He ducked back into the kitchen and called out “Ms. Riza! Your new chambermaid is here!” The head returned, this time attached to an entire body that blocked the light from the door. “She’ll be with you in a bit. Make yourself at home.” He disappeared, leaving Winry alone with her growing misgivings.

She didn’t have to wait long. A twenty-something blonde dressed in a professional-looking grey blazer and knee-length skirt approached from the kitchen, hand extended in greeting.

“Hello—Miss Rockbell, correct?” She took Winry’s offered hand and shook it. Her grip was warm and firm, but not overly tight, “I’m Riza Hawkeye. I’m in charge of the help.”

Winry nodded weakly, still feeling less confident than the day before about her decision to work here. “You can call me Winry,” she corrected politely and felt at ease when Riza smiled warmly. “It’s very nice to meet you.”

Riza’s smile deepened with reassurance. “I think you’ll like it here,” the housekeeper comforted. “We’re a pretty tight-knit crew and we work together well. If you need anything, you can ask any one of us for help.”

“How many work for Mr. Hohenheim?” Winry queried. She wanted to get a feel for the work atmosphere here. The more people there were to ask, the more help there was available to her, the less her burdens would likely be.

“The number of our staff is always in flux, but at the moment, there’s a total of 19, including you and I.” Riza turned and motioned for Winry to follow, “Come with me and we’ll fit you for your uniform. There’s a changing room in the foyer—that’s the door in the far corner—and when you need to have your uniform cleaned, just leave it in your locker and hang the tag that says ‘wash’ from the handle. We send our laundry out to be cleaned.” Winry followed the older woman to the kitchen. “There’s a staff meeting every morning at 10:00 am in the kitchen. That’s when I go over the duties for the day and if the master of the house has anything to add, that’s when he will inform us.” Riza continued to speak as she passed through the kitchen and Winry took in the spacious room, the two huge stoves, numerous cabinets, a well-stocked pantry, and a very large walk-in refrigeration unit. She wanted a chance to examine it later; refrigeration was still a fairly new concept and she was itching to see how it worked. Granny only had an old-fashioned icebox and Winry hoped she could make enough to purchase one for their house. A stocky man with close-cropped reddish brown hair was setting out pots and pans, readying the utensils for the morning meal. He must have been the person that greeted her earlier.

“The Master of the house invites you to have breakfast here, but you must eat in the kitchen after he and his sons have dined. All Mr. Hohenheim’s meals are served in the informal dining room.” Riza hadn’t missed a beat as she continued into another adjoining hallway. “You will be expected to help serve meals, perform routine cleaning and dusting of the rooms, gather laundry, change linens in the bedrooms, and take on other duties as they are assigned.” Riza opened a door midway down the passage and flipped on a light, exposing neatly folded clothing filling the shelves of a huge walk-in closet. Row upon row of black, white, or grey garments filled the shelves and cubbies, some with nametags attached below the compartments. “Once we get you fitted, we’ll assign you a cubby in this closet, where your uniforms will be placed after they have been returned from the laundry.” Finally, Riza turned and looked at the young woman beside her. “I know it’s a lot, but I’m sure you’ll pick it up as you go. Do you have any questions?”

Winry shook her head, too overwhelmed to produce a sound.

Riza just nodded and smiled warmly. “Don’t worry, if you think of anything later, just ask me or any of the staff. Now, let’s put together your uniform.”

All Winry could do was nod.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The breakfast rush in the kitchen was loud, fast-paced, and disorienting. Rethinking her decision to accept the job, Winry wondered how she could extricate herself from it while still retaining her dignity. The head chef, whose name she learned was Izumi, and the man that worked under her, Mr. Breda, were working quickly and efficiently to make the morning meal which consisted of fresh baked sweet rolls, eggs prepared in different styles, bacon, a cooked cereal of some sort (Winry guessed it might be oatmeal), and juice. When a plate of fresh fruit, artfully carved and arranged on a clear glass platter, was shoved into her hands, Winry’s stomach rumbled in response.

“Miss…Winry isn’t it?” Izumi addressed her.

“Yes ‘m,” she responded in a shy mumble, and gaped as another plate, this one piled with scrambled eggs, bacon and a particularly large, frosting covered cinnamon sweet roll was shoved into her free hand.

“Take these plates out to the table,” she pointed to each in turn as she spoke, “The fruit plate goes near the head of the table, where Mr. Hohenheim can reach it, and the other is to be served to Master Edward.”

Winry swallowed back her apprehension. Edward was the one person she least wanted to encounter on her first day, but couldn’t refuse a superior’s orders.

“I’ll help her out, Ms. Izumi,” a tall, pretty brunette said as she lifted two more plates from the counter. She turned to Winry and winked. “Hey! I’m Rebecca, nice to meet ‘cha, Winry!” She spun on her heel and gestured for Winry to follow. As they pushed through the door to the service antechamber, Rebecca said under her breath, “Always serve from the person’s right side, ask if there’s anything else they need, and always address the Master and his sons by their proper names and titles. It’s Mr. Hohenheim, and Master Edward or Alphonse. That will get you by until Schezka and I can teach you more about table service.”

The look Winry threw the older woman was one of pure gratitude. “Thanks,” she whispered before they stepped out into the dining room.

The table was long enough to seat at least ten diners, but only the end nearest the kitchen was occupied. Hohenheim sat at the head of it, with Alphonse seated at his left and Edward at his right. Three golden-blond heads looked up at the approach of the two servants, and their reactions varied; Hohenheim looked surprised, Alphonse smiled seeing Winry, but Edward only stared at her with that odd intensity, his bright gold eyes scrutinizing her much as he had during her interview.

“Ah! Good morning, Miss Rockbell! Good to see you!” Hohenheim greeted her pleasantly, “I hope Ms. Izumi hasn’t run you ragged.”

Winry nodded and offered a modest smile, “No, sir, she’s been very helpful.” She carefully placed the fruit plate at the center of the table, equidistant between the three diners then stepped around Edward so she could serve him from the right.

“That’s good to hear,” Hohenheim replied with a chuckle, “I know Rebecca will be teaching you all the ‘proper’ ways to serve and address us, but you may treat us far less formally.”

She could see that Edward’s glower, even from the odd angle she stood at, was aimed first at his father then at her. She shivered and retreated to a respectful distance.

“Thank you very much, but I feel it’s only right to address you properly,” Winry amended.

Rebecca, who had placed her last plate in front of Hohenheim, nodded almost imperceptivity and winked her approval. Another nod, this one aimed at Edward, Alphonse, and their father, reminded her of one more duty.

“May I get you or the young masters anything else?” She folded her hands in front of her.

`“No, this should be fine for now,” answered Hohenheim.

“I just need my oatmeal, that’s all,” Alphonse, added, “You can bring it when you have an extra moment.”

“I’ll get that for you right now, Master Alphonse,” Rebecca piped up and bounced off to the kitchen.

When Edward didn’t respond, Winry asked, “Is there anything you’d like, Master Edward?” Her throat felt tight as she spoke, but she tried not to let it affect her voice.

The forkful of scrambled eggs stopped mid-air and Edward turned his head just enough to peer at her through the strands of his long bangs. “There might be something I’d like later.” A subtle husky note, combined with the slightest hint of heat in his golden eyes, caused Winry’s stomach to do an uneasy flip.

“W-well t-then,” she stammered, now unnerved by Edward’s unwarranted attention, “If there’s nothing else.” Winry gave a slight bow from the waist.

“Of course, Miss Rockbell,” Hohenheim nodded back. “You may go. I certainly wouldn’t want to upset Ms. Izumi by keeping you from your duties for too long. She’d have no qualms about telling me what she thinks!”

Keeping her eyes down, she slipped past Edward, staying a safe distance from him, and into the antechamber. She passed Rebecca as the older woman came through the kitchen door with a bowl of oatmeal and a small pitcher of cream on a tray balanced in her hands. Winry ignored the woman’s puzzled look and hurried through the swinging doors and into the kitchen, grateful for the sense of security it offered her.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Edward watched the young blonde’s retreat before picking up a strip of bacon and chewing it thoughtfully. This girl intrigued him and filled his mind with impure thoughts. Despite the fact his father had strict rules against fraternizing with the help, Miss Rockbell made him wish he could simply follow his desires.

Problem was this girl didn’t seem all that interested in him. She refused to look at him and seemed eager to be as far from him as possible, leaving the room quickly once relieved of her duties.

“Brother, you should be more friendly toward Miss Winry,” Alphonse playfully scolded. “I think your constant scowling is scaring her away.”

As if proving his brother’s point, Edward scowled across the table at his brother, “Shut-up,” he said and shoved another forkful of eggs into his mouth.

“Edward, be civil,” his father chimed in. “You’ve scared away the last two maids I hired, and I would be very displeased if you frightened Miss Rockbell away.”

“I’m not trying to scare her!” he protested then took a huge bite from his sticky pastry.

“Regardless, don’t be harsh with her,” Hohenheim scolded. “She’s the granddaughter of an old friend and she needs this job.”

“You can be pretty scary, Brother, especially considering the fact you look angry all the time.”

The elder brother’s acerbic response was muffled by his mouthful, but his family seemed to understand him quite clearly.

“Edward! Mind your language!” the older man reprimanded sharply.

Alphonse just grinned as if he’d won the fight and Edward scowled even harder and devoured the remainder of the pastry.

Hohenheim changed the subject. “Is Miss Thomas visiting you later today? Should I have Ms. Izumi make some of the tea cakes she likes?”

This jolted Edward out of his preoccupation with the new staff member. He swallowed hard, nearly choking on his under chewed mouthful, and gulped down some orange juice to clear his throat. His father just had to bring up the subject of his fiancée, something that could always tie his stomach into knots.

“No.” Edward’s voice was flat as he suppressed his anger. “She’s away with her family this week. They’re on vacation in Aerugo.”

“I see. Very well.” Hohenheim took a sip of his coffee. “We should schedule a meeting when they get back to discuss a wedding date, don’t you agree?”

The young man gnashed his teeth at his father. “The entire idea of an arranged marriage is ridiculous! Why the hell are you pushing me into this?!” Edward didn’t even flinch under his father’s cross glare.

“Because,” the elder man started slowly, as if explaining the situation to a very dense child, “you’re going to be twenty soon, and it’s time you grew up, become a man, and started taking on responsibilities. If you want to take over my position as head of the family after I’m gone, you must learn to give up being a ladies’ man and settle down. You’ve been seeing Miss Thomas for over a year now, and both her father and I think you two make a good match.”

Edward’s stomach turned at the prospect. He was quite content being a ladies’ man, living without ties and having his choice of the young women who were drawn to his unusual eye and hair coloring. Problem was, Rose’ had taken his advances as something much more serious than innocent flirtation.

“Only because you think so!” Ed snarled. “It was you and old man Thomas that decided that we should get married, not me!”

“Maybe so, but this is one of the obligations you must face when you become an adult, Edward!” Hohenheim took on an authoritarian demeanor, his already large frame seeming to grow even more formidable. “This is the proper way for those of our class to conduct ourselves, whether you like it or not! If you’ve been in a relationship with Miss Thomas for this long, then it’s time to make the association permanent!”

Ed froze with fury; his reasons for pursuing the snobby high-born girl had always been simple. She was pretty, interested in him, and he had wanted nothing more than to lure her into the sheets. But Rose’ Thomas had ended up being no more than a tease, a challenge he had yet to overcome, and their fathers had interpeted Edward’s unsavory interest as something more serious.

“It’s elitist snobbery and an outdated concept!” Ed declared. “Is that why you never married Mom?!”

“You will address me in a civil tone, Edward!” Hohenheim shot back.

Breakfast suddenly became less appealing as his anger and frustration got the best of him. Ed shoved back his chair and stood. “I’m not very hungry. I’m going to my room.”

He threw his napkin over his plate and stormed from the dining room, leaving his baffled father and sympathetic brother behind.
Sign up to rate and review this story