Categories > Original > Horror > [TWD] Til the World Stops Turning

[TWD] I'd Search Forever Just to Bring You Home

by NyxxNoxx 0 reviews

The group finds out just how M.J. fits in with the Dixon brothers. Daryl, M.J., Rick, Glenn, and T-Dog head back into Atlanta to find Merle and the bag of guns.

Category: Horror - Rating: R - Genres: Horror - Warnings: [!!!] [V] [R] [?] [Y] - Published: 2013-03-04 - 10730 words

0Unrated
Til The World Stops Turning

Summary: What if there was another reason that the Dixon brothers joined up with the group at the quarry and she wasn't what they thought her to be after all? Would they re-think some of the behavior issues they had with a disgruntled Daryl and a prone-to-violence Merle? Meet M.J. and see her take on this new world that she is surviving in.

Disclaimer: I do NOT own anything from the Walking Dead. Anything you recognize isn't mine and belongs to AMC and Frank Darabont. I make no profit from this story. Although I do enjoy borrowing Merle and Daryl and tormenting the HELL out of both of them. All OC's are mine. This story is AU. Transcripts used from online and Netflix, but changed to reflect on the speech of some of the people. Google and Wiki are my friend. Rated T because of Merle's potty mouth and his kin. Some scenes were cut because they had no value to my plot and words added for the effect of my OC. WARNING: If you haven't watched any of the series yet, this chapter is S01E03 Tell It to the Frogs.

AN: This story is currently un-beta'd but I use Libre so hopefully the only errors you find are verbs and point-of-views. If anyone wishes to volunteer to figure out the workings of my mind it would be appreciated. :) Reviews are much loved with helping along with a few of my plot holes. Flames will be used to fricassee walkers and light a fire under the Gov'nor's ass.

AN2: Sorry if this and the next couple of chapters seem a bit dark or bitter. On the 4th and later that afternoon, instead of her going home like we were told, I received word that my grandmother fell into a coma and early morning of the 6th she passed away from a brain bleed, even though they never found it on the x-rays or cat-scans they did and then later that afternoon my other grandmother found out she had terminal 4 lung cancer, that the doctors never noticed from her scans last November. So trying to get my mind off the pain and anger I put it on paper... Thank you for your patience.

Words: 10225


~~~~~~~~~
Chapter Three: I'd Search Forever Just to Bring You Home
~~~~~~~~~

Quickly pushing aside the stray memory, M.J. finished gathering the weapons she knew would need going into the infested city. Calling Rebel over, she rapidly puts the harness on him and even hides two knives on it. Double checking to make sure the strap for the machete didn't interfere with the bow or with the green leather hip quiver buckled on her right side. Turning, she snatches up the black and green leather shoulder bag and fills it with some first-aid stuff. Next she puts in the plastic baggie she had one of Merle's unwashed shirts in. Then the extra thick nylon rope went in and some metal clips that would probably be needed if they have to climb, so that Rebel would be able to go up or down with them. Last was a couple of water bottles that has been boiled the other day with fresh water.

Heading outside, she promptly made it over to Daryl's side and both her and Rebel sat down and ignored everyone who tried to speak with her. Doing another quick check over her arrows and Rebel's harness, she pulls out her G36 and looks over the magazine and barrel before reloading it and looking at the extra magazines that were placed on her thigh straps along with her flint knives. The few times she did look up and someone caught her eyes, the look she gave them was chilling to the core. It was one of those 'If-Looks-Could-Kill' then they would be flayed alive and then flambéed. She ignored any attempts that Carl or Sophia, Ed's little girl, did to catch her attention.

M.J. and Daryl had a silent conversation about what they were going to do when they got to Atlanta. They already knew that they had each others back. There was no question about that. But if it came to them verses the group, then the group would be left behind. This was the last straw for M.J. She was tired of them constantly bad mouthing Merle and Daryl and thinking or saying lewd insinuations about the three of them. She frowns. She didn't even want to stay with this group to begin with and Daryl knew it.


~~~~~~~~~
Flashback
5 weeks ago, Late June 2010
/]
[/A lone figure peered around the corner of the broken glass and motioned behind him that it was clear. Looking warily about, he noticed two figures coming out from the truck and enter the building. The older man would hardly take his eyes off the small figure that seemed to lag behind him. Covered with a dark hoodie, streaks of blood red hair trickled out of the side. Suddenly shadowed teal colored eyes looked up at him and it felt like his heart was going to break. The young girl he was looking at had never been this subdued or quiet since those dark days back in 2000. The whole left side of her face was one big bruise, from her brow bone to her jaw. Her lips were swollen and busted.

/]
[/Murderous rage filled him when his thoughts went back over the last couple of days. Five days ago they were a slightly larger group. Five days ago he was sure they were going to make it to safety. Five. That's how many they used to be. Several miles short of reaching Old Man Dougie's cabin over by Allatoona Lake they were overran by two different groups of the zombies that they were calling geeks or rotters. One pack was between ten and fifteen and while they were trying to take them out another sideswiped them and brought at least another twenty of those disgusting rotters. M.J., the youngest was trying her best to keep lookout with her dog Rebel. He would herd them close so that she could cut off their heads. Neither noticed that they had been pushed to the edge of the group when they heard a female scream out a warning.

/]
[/MacKenzie, or Mac as she was fondly called, noticed two geeks had gotten behind her boyfriend Merle. She didn't know which direction to go in. To her far left were the Dixon brothers, Merle and his little brother Daryl. Just to her right and inching further from their group was Merle’s fifteen year-old daughter M.J., who she's know for five years. She couldn't in good conscience let anything happen to their little ray of sunshine. Quickly looking around, hoping to see M.J.'s other uncle, Callum McCray, and send him over to help out the guys but no luck. Decision made, she rushed over to M.J. and pulled her away from the smallish grouping that was backing her away from the others. Flinching from the close sounding gunshots, Mac tried her best to protect the younger girl, but it seemed more like that her and the dog were doing a better job of protecting each other.

/]
[/There were still several geeks between the girls and the guys. Rebel was trying to make a path by confusing the geeks and causing them to crash into each other. It was working, until Mac tripped over one of them. Out of no where Callum swooped in and rescued her. Noticing that the group separating them was getting larger instead of smaller, Callum snatched up M.J. and whistled for Rebel to follow. Motioning to Daryl that they were going to try and run and then sneak back, he took off running with Mac trying to keep up. All he was concerned about was their safety. After running several yards he put his niece down and paused to catch his breath behind a bunch of trees.

/]
[/“We'll go a few more feet this way an' then swing left an' head back to your dad, Midge.” Callum tried to reassure her. “Promise. Ya know nut'in' can kill a Dixon but a Dixon.” They all chuckled weakly at the old saying. He turns to Mac when she made a hissing noise.

“Don't worry 'bout it.” she waved them both off. “Just a lil scratch. Musta got it when I ran into one of the trees.” Quickly she covered it and looked around. “Come on, can't leave those hotheads for to long, they just might try to single handedly to burn all them rotters down before we get to the lake.”
/]
[/Callum motioned that it was still clear, so they continued forward and after another twenty minutes they began to circle back around. Hearing a groaning noise, Callum signaled for them to hide under the fallen logs nearby. Cautiously peering around he spotted three rotters in front of them. He bit his lip and wondered how long it would be before they moved on when a few more stumbled up behind them. He knew there was no way that all three of them would be able to make it back and not meet up with any of the stragglers that they were trying to get away from to begin with or the two groups to meet up and not over take them. He leaned back and thumped his head hard on the tree trunk before looking over at his niece.

/]
[/“Ya need to listen ta me Midget.” he spoke quickly. “I'm going ta try an' lead this new group off...” he shook his head to cut M.J. off before she could dissuade him. “I'm not sure how far back that other bunch is an' we can't afford them ta meet up otherwise we'll be right back where we started.” He tried to smile as Mac hugged the small girl. “No matta what, I promise ta find my way back ta ya girlie.” He snuck over to them and pulled M.J. close and hugged her tightly. “Ya need ta get back to yer Da. I promised him an' yer mama I would do everything within m'power ta protect ya an' I’m gonna.” He stared at Mac. “Don't stop for nut'in' woman, I mean it.” He peered over the logs. “Give me five minutes an' then run back ta yer Da an' Daryl. Promise me Midge. Stop fer nut'in'.” Tears welled up in M.J.'s eyes but she slowly nodded. “Might take me a bit, but I’ll see ya soon Jellybean.” He kissed her forehead before jumping over the logs.

/]
[/Screaming and waving his arms about wildly, Callum drew the attention of the now eager group of geeks after him. Mac held onto M.J. even tighter when she made to follow her uncle. Just as they were about to stand, they heard the groaning and moaning from the stragglers that they were running from to begin with. Mac pulled them further under the logs and warily watched Rebel. She knew he was very well trained, but he could still make a mistake and reveal their precarious position, but he stayed quiet and they were in the clear. Waiting another three minutes, they quickly and quietly made their way back to the Dixon brothers.

/]
[/Upon stumbling back where the trouble all started, they noticed that no one was there. M.J. looked around wide-eyed before Rebel took off in the direction towards where the vehicles were left. Rapidly she followed, not really paying attention if Mac followed or not. Once they cleared the trees she noticed her father reloading his guns and her uncle grabbing some supplies. A strangled sob escaped her as she tore towards her family. Daryl caught her as she slammed into him and hugged her tightly as cried. The anguish tore at the three adults.

/]
[/“Said not to follow.” she hiccuped. “Drew the new group away.” The tears in her eyes poured. “Said he would find his way back.” Merle took her from his brother once Mac stepped back from her hug. “He's gone daddy.” She hugged him tightly and sobbed into his vest. “He left me daddy.” It took awhile but she finally fell asleep as Merle tried to calm her fears, but decided to let her just cry it out. They lost over half of their small family in the last two weeks and this was the first time she let it out.

/]
[/Daryl moved Callum's Range Rover off the road and hid the key so that no one could take it before the man got back. Once they were packed back up they head once more for the cabin. Mac rode with Merle on his motorcycle and M.J. was strapped in Daryl's truck. It took another two hours but they finally made it across the causeway and to the cabin. Taking only what was absolutely necessary for the night, they hunkered down and waited for their missing kin. The next morning they woke up to Mac being ill and a raging a fever. After a long heated discussion they finally listened to M.J.'s plea to head for Atlanta and either doctors at the refugee camp or down to the CDC. Doing everything she was taught in class and even using the home remedies from her Nonna's book, nothing brought it down nor seemed to stop the infection brewing in the nasty scratch from the woods. Leaving a hasty note for Callum to let him know of the change in plans, the head back south and into the big city. Twice they stopped because of Mac being violently ill, and finally made the decision to make camp and hope for the fever to break over night.

/]
[/The following day composed of them traveling for a bit and stopping when Mac got sick. M.J. tried to keep her hydrated but she couldn't keep anything down. They had just gotten past The Perimeter when Mac started coughing and throwing up blood. Daryl and Merle decided to make camp down by the Chattahoochee, so they got off on Cumberland Boulevard and set up on the left side of the bridge. Unable to really do anything, Merle went down to try and catch some fish while Daryl headed out to find any small game. Rebel rested outside the tent that M.J. was looking after Mac in.

/]
[/The next morning Daryl went to check on Mac and M.J. when he had to stop the now dead woman from taking a bit out of his niece. Pulling her away while trying not to get bit was a little tough because Mac was also still snapping at M.J. Sadly, once he had enough leverage to separate the two, his grip slipped and M.J. lunged up as the rotter got free and the knife she pulled in self-defense plunged into the murky brown orb and right into Mac's brain, stilling the corpse once and for all. Both stared in horror as Mac's body shifted sideways and slumped, bleeding blackish-red ooze onto her sleeping bag. Then both jumped in fright when Merle ripped open the tent flap and froze. Daryl’s mouth gaped like a fish while his gazed flitted over his brother to his niece to Mac and back again. M.J. stared at her father for a moment before looking down at her gore covered hand and back up. All she could do was whisper, 'I'm sorry.' over and over again.

/]
[/Once everyone was semi calm, they went to work and made a pyre. M.J. used Mac's sleeping bag and the tent for the funeral shroud. After saying a few words for her and their other fallen family members, Daryl and M.J. head back to camp to give Merle a few minutes alone. Halfway through cleanup M.J. finds one of Mac's belongings and stifles a sob. Waving Daryl away, she walked out of camp and further down the river. Rebel followed shortly behind, running to and fro chasing after smells and rustling bushes. M.J. sat down by the river's edge and thought over the last couple of weeks.

/]
[/Whatever this virus/parasite/mutant pathogen was, had killed seventy-five percent of her family. Her, the Zombie Queen. The one that knew all the trivia about any and every zombie movie ever made. Played all the Resident Evil games. She should be in Heaven... but this was naught but Hell. Watching your loved ones be bitten or eaten and then coming back to do the same to you. Having to kill them, the shell of the one person who kissed your hurts and made them better. Made your favorite peanut butter/banana/marshmallow fluff sandwich when you needed comfort food. Who took you to the zoo for the hundredth time just to see the cute otters and weasels. The list went on.

/]
[/The sound of a branch snapping had M.J. turning around quickly and she stared wide-eyed at the 3 strangers that had tried to sneak up behind her. Two of the men were around her fathers age and the other was a boy slightly older that her, barely out of his teens. A shiver of trepidation raced down her spine at the vacant look in their eyes and the malicious smiles that graced their lips.

/]
[/“Well, well. Lookie here Fred. We've gots a lost lil lamb.” Man number one declared. “Wat'cha doin' out here by yerself girlie?”

/]
[/“Never you mind.” she glared. “I am not lost, nor is your company welcome. I suggest you leave.” She stood and pulled one of her knives off her thigh holster. “Fair warning. I shall not ask again.”

/]
[/“Hehe,” Fred chuckled. “Looks like lil lamb gots teeth Bobby.” His grin widened. “Mite small an' boyish lookin' but I's think she'll do. Danny boy?” He turned to the youngest of the group.

/]
[/“Don't care none, Fred.” Danny shrugged. “Piece o'ass is a piece o'ass.”

/]
[/M.J. shifted stance as they fanned out and stepped closer. They rushed her. She lashed out. As she went to kick Danny, Fred moved more behind her and Bobby tried to do a leg sweep and tripped her. She sliced Bobby's arm just as Fred grabbed her.

/]
[/“Fu'kin' bitch.” Bobby swung his open palm hard and made impact with the left side of her face. Her vision blurred for a moment and her ear rung. Fred shook her hard while Danny cheered. “We's gonna learn ya sum manners o' how it's gonna be girlie.” She spit on him and then swung her head back hard and headbutted Fred in the chin. Bobby retaliated with a punch to her face, splitting her lip and bruising her jaw as well as scraping his knuckles on her lip-ring. “Seein' that ya drew first blood I gonna teach ya yer firs' lesson. Danny.” He nodded at her as he looks his arm over.

/]
[/She screamed and kicked out at Danny, but is kneed in the back by Fred and then Danny punched her in the stomach. Fred covered her mouth as she tried to catch her breath and wiggle away. Danny undid the buttons of her fly and began to pull down her pants and underwear. Just as her pants uncovered her bottom, Rebel tore out of the underbrush and lunged for Danny, his jaws snapped close on his forearm as it went up to block the pitbull from his throat. His scream echoed through the open space. M.J. reached down into her boot when Fred's hold on her slackened and pulled her knife and stabbed him in the side. Bobby stopped his kicking at the dog when Fred shouted out in pain. Just as he went to grabbed for her, Daryl burst out of the treeline with his crossbow aimed and shot Bobby in the shoulder. Merle came out not far behind bearing his shotgun. They both stared at her in horror which swiftly changed to rage, before she realized that her pants were still down and she was exposed. Pulling them up she looked away and watched Rebel maul Danny. As they came closer she watched Bobby and Fred flinch at the promise of death in her family's eyes.

/]
[/“Get on back ta camp.” Merle growled as he leveled his shotgun right at Fred’s head.

/]
[/“Heir.(Come)” M.J. called out to Rebel and extended her hand and brought it back over her heart. Rebel let go after one last shake and bound over to his mistress. “Zei brav.” she praised him as they walked away. She never looked back when she heard Bobby howl in pain.

/]
[/Daryl strode forward and yanked his bolt out of Bobby's shoulder.

/]
[/“C'mon man,” Bobby whined. “We didn't know she belonged ta sumbody.”

/]
[/“Please don't kill us mister.” Fred dropped to the ground and groveled to Merle. “We're just gonna have us some fun.”

/]
[/“M'girl ain't some WHORE!!!” Merle shouted and both Bobby and Fred's eyes widened when they realized their mistake. “The fuck ya think ya are?” He eyed them both over and saw blood trickling from Fred's mouth and him holding his side with M.J.'s knife in his palm. His eyes darted to the bleeding rag wrapped around his left arm. His mouth twisted into a snarl. “Which one of ya sick fucks busted her face?” Neither answered. “Seein's hows I'm jus' gonna kill ya n'ways for tryin' ta rape m'lil girl, I think ya'll owe her. Tit fer tat, don'cha think bro?”

/]
[/“Iffin ya don't I’m gonna.” Daryl sneered at Danny's whimpering. “Shutup boy. Ya ain't got half wat ya deserve fer touchin' 'er.” He then kicked the boy in his side and turned back to watch Merle.

/]
[/“Bitch stabbed me,” Fred whined. “And she cut Bobby. I think we're even, 'specially after that hellhound tore inta Danny.”

/]
[/“Oh, I’ll say when we're even chum.” Merle got right on top of Fred and smashed the butt of the shotgun into his face. “Gonna stomp a mudhole in both yer asses a'fore I send ya ta Hell.”

/]
[/Merle then proceeded to punch, kick, and bash every part of the wounded man's body. For the next fifteen minutes both men screamed and pleaded and begged for mercy as both Dixon's worked them over slowly and with a vengeance. Afterward, Merle gladly put a bullet into both their heads just stop their moaning and groaning.

/]
[/“Didn't know who they were fuckin' wit'.” Merle said as he kicked and spit on the dead bodies. “Wat'dja wanna do wit' lil chew toy there, bro?”

/]
[/“Migh' as well put 'im outta our misery. Rebel tore inta 'm pretty good.” Daryl hocks a loogie on him. Merle nods and walks back to camp to check on M.J. “Ya shoulda jus' walked away. Nobody lays a hand on our girl an' 'pects ta live. We'd'a killed ya 'fore all this, I sure in hell ain't lettin' ya live now.” Daryl shot him point blank in the head and walked away after cleaning off the bolt.

/]
[/When he finally walked back into camp he noticed Merle sitting on the back of his truck holding M.J. His brother glanced over at him and gave him a helpless look. Evidently she had just shut down. No tears. Nor anger. Just nothing. Her brilliant teal eyes were now dull and blank. He ran over to her duffel and pulled out an old blanket that her mama, Nonna, and Aunni B had quilted back in 2004. Placing it around her, they both waited for some sort of reaction and after several minutes she still just sat there. Merle shook his head and motioned to the cab. Once they had her and Rebel secured, they rapidly gathered up the last of their scattered belongings and jumped back on I-75 south for downtown Atlanta. Neither were sure if they should keep heading for the CDC or the possible F.E.M.A./Military shelter that was supposed to be downtown.

/]
[/By the time they hit Midtown, Daryl noticed the stray rotter or two rambling about on the North bound side of the highway. There was nary a car on the southbound side which was a tad worrying to the younger Dixon. Shouldn't there be trucks going back and forth looking for survivors or gathering up supplies for the shelter? Where were the military that was supposed to be protecting the town? He looked over to the right as they passed where about Georgia Tech would be a few roads over. He only remembered that because M.J. had pointed it out during one of their trips do to visit the campus of Georgia State University just after her graduation.

/]
[/It was getting late and as they neared the Civic Center Station, Daryl signaled to Merle to pull over. After talking it over, they agreed to find shelter for the night and discuss where to look first for the refugee shelter. He then pointed out that the GSU Student Clinic was just a little further down near Andrew Young International Boulevard. They could get off on Jesse Hill Jr Dr, go down John Wesley Dobbs Avenue, and swing right onto Piedmont Avenue. And if there were to many of the rotters they could probably hit one of the many motel/hotels and crash there. Once there, both were a bit leary of all the windows out front, but there wasn't to many of the rotters around and they could back the truck down between the brick opening with the bike besides it and not have to worry to much about someone stealing their stuff.

/]
[/Getting M.J. to eat was a strange affair. They gave her a water bottle, but had to hold it it to lips and tell her to swallow. The same with some of the leftover squirrel Daryl had cooked that morning. After only three bites and two sips she just sat there. So Daryl wrapped her in the blanket, took off her boots and laid her down between his sleeping bag and Merle’s. He took first watch and Merle sat with her. Looking out the second floor window at the street below, he tried to ignore the whispered story about how Merle first met Jenna after he got out of the Marines. He knew it by heart, seeing how he was there to witness first hand what an ass his brother made of himself to get her attention. The second time wasn't to much better but after five months of his constant persistence, he finally got that first date. And the rest, as they say, was history. Sure they had their ups and downs, they argued like any married couple. Their fights were pretty hilarious. Big bad ex-Marine, scared of his five foot six redheaded Scottish lass. She was never afraid of him, even when he was riding high on drugs when he first got out. As a matter of fact, she was the reason he got clean to begin with, it was one of the conditions of their first date.

/]
[/Merle talked himself hoarse, reliving his time with Jenna. How he proposed. The wedding. Their first house. Her pregnancy with M.J., then the actual birth. Her first word. Her first step. They both drifted off to sleep somewhere around the time he was recalling the time that they had the big cookie war and flour was everywhere when she was three. Daryl woke him for his shift sometime around three or four and curled up staring at M.J. until he drifted off.

/]
[/Merle shook Daryl awake around seven or so. They ate quickly and packed up the sleeping stuff before guiding M.J. back down to the truck. They made a pit stop at the Shell Station across the street for any snacks and gas from the surrounding three cars. They lucked out, seven cases of water, couple boxes of jerky, and anything non-perishable were shoved in the back next to M.J.'s Indian Chief and a few bags of Daryl's and Merle’s stuff. Of course Merle had to add a couple cases of beer and some junk food to snack on later.

/]
[/First stop was at the Peachtree Center since it was the closest. Down John Wesley Dobbs Ave, a right on Peachtree St NE and halfway down the block was the building. Nothing but a handful of rotters that seemed to 'Rise from the Dead' when they heard the roaring engine of Merle's hog, which echoed pretty loudly in the quiet empty streets. Merle revved his bike and took off down the street when one of the walkers got a little to close for comfort. He cut over onto Forsyth St SW and headed down to Five Points. It turned out to be another dead end. Even worse was seeing the stand off the National Guard seemed to have made back where Forsyth and Walton St NW crossed. Neither could believe the destruction of the city. On the way, Daryl noted a CVS Pharmacy on the left side, just past the tank. There was only one or two rotters stumbling down the street. Large sections of the city that they had to maneuver around looked to have been bombed. Plus there seemed to be a larger concentration of the rotters here.

/]
[/Heading towards their last chance, Philips Arena, Daryl noticed they were being followed by a hoard of rotters. Speeding up, he passed Merle and made a right on Alabama ST SW, then another on Spring ST NW, a left on Wall ST NW, and a hard left onto Centennial Olympic Dr NW. Up on their right was Philips Arena, or what was left of it. Daryl screeched to a halt to miss the blasted debris from the building. He climbed out of the truck and stood by Merle and they both glazed with horrified disbelief at the damage. Both turned and looked across the way to what was left of the Georgia Dome. Blackened concrete walls and twisted metal was all that was left of either building. It was disheartening to say that there was no refugee shelter in Atlanta at all.

/]
[/While making the decision of going to the CDC or just heading straight down to Ft. Benning, neither could help but glance with concern at the young girl sitting motionless in the cab. Daryl stated that he didn't care, but they should stop back at the CVS he spotted earlier. They could grab some extra meds and bandages before heading out. Plus, he pointed out, if he parked the truck right in front of the door, with Merle’s bike right behind it, they would have less of a chance for the zombies to get them. The only downside to this plan was M.J. Neither were sure of how she would react, or if she would just stand there if one of the undead attacked.

/]
[/When Daryl parked the truck in front of the shop, he noticed that one of the doors had been busted open. Hopefully there were no walkers inside or live people. Not after they went through the previous day. Merle was still in a rage over it and he wasn't fairing any better. Merle opened the passenger door and both nudged M.J. out. They sent Rebel in first to make sure the entryway was at least clear. Then all three squeezed through the bottom half of the broken door. Merle nodded towards the back where the pharmacy would be and glimpsed once more at his daughter before walking down the aisle that held backpacks and bags.

/]
[/Daryl walked M.J. over to the counter, once he checked behind it, he sat her on it and placed one of her knives in her hand. He looked down at Rebel and ordered him to guard his mistress and walked over to the isle with the bags and went shopping. It was on the second trip to check on her when he heard Rebel growl and a hesitant voice saying 'Good dog'. Standing at the edge of the last isle, nearest to M.J. was an Asian boy staring wide-eyed at Rebel. He raised his crossbow and stepped closer.

/]
[/“I'd suggest ya back away real slow.” Daryl spoke harshly. The boy looked at him and then back at the growling dog before doing what he said.

/]
[/“And I’d suggest you lower that weapon before I have to use this one.” came a Cajun sounding voice from behind him. “And call off the mutt before someone get's hurt.”

/]
[/“Ain't doin' nut'in' 'til yer buddy steps back from m'girl.” Daryl stated as M.J. looked up at the commotion. Both new men made a noise of dismay when they spotted the bruised and beaten face in the hoodie. “Dog is trained. So unless ya both wanna be used as chew-toys an' left as scraps fer the rotters, I suggest ya back off.” he growled.

/]
[/“Mister, I don't rightly appreciate being threatened.” the man behind him cocked his gun. “And I sure in hell don't cotton beating on a woman.”

/]
[/“Well, how's 'bout I beat on ya?” came Merle’s rough voice near his ear as he cocked his shotgun and placed it on the man's neck. The Asian boy 'Eepped' and dropped his bag and stepped back down the isle. “Now remove the gun from his back or I’ll blow yer fuckin' head off.” He nodded to M.J. and then down one of the aisles. “Take 'er an' get the shit we need so we can get outta here.”

/]
[/“Look mister, we're here for the same reason as you it seems.” the man in front of him said slowly. “The world might have gone to Hell in a hand basket but some people still have morals.” The Asian boy looked around the corner as Daryl, his hand gently tugging M.J. along, and Rebel walked down the next aisle. “Can't help but try and defend a lady's honor. Came with the job.”

/]
[/“Don't like cops an'mor' than I like people threatenin' m'brother or m'girl.” Merle sneered. “The lady is fine. Nut'in' time won't fix.” He watched the Asian poke his head around the corner again. “Boy, best ya com' out where I's can see ya.” Once he did, Merle nudged the cop over to him.

/]
[/“Look, we're just trying to survive like you.” the cop pointed out. “We just needed to stock up on supplies for our group.” All of the sudden you here a thump and groan coming from outside the store. “Shit.” He looked at Merle and then his companion. “They found us. We have to go.”

/]
[/“Daryl, move yer ass boy. They tryin' ta get past the vehicles.” Merle shouted before moving towards the busted door to see how many of them there were. Three were at the front of the truck and one was trying to knock over the bike. “Fuck! Daryl NOW!”

/]
[/“Don't use the guns unless you have to. The sound drawls more.” The man warned as Merle got ready to shoot. “Grab the stuff Glenn, we gotta run when we get the chance.”

/]
[/“Move outta the way!” Daryl walked by and knocked his shoulder into the cop. “I'll handle the rotters...”

/]
[/“Rotters?” Glenn looked at him confused. “We call them geeks or walkers.”

/]
[/“Wateva!” Daryl snorted. “M.J.'s got the bags. Load 'em up an' let's roll.” He started shooting the 'geeks' as he neared the door. Once they were all handled he started up the truck while Merle loaded the bags. He blew the horn. “Hurry up. There's a group o' 'em headed this way.” he nodded down the road.

/]
[/“Oh man.” Glenn squeaked. “There's more coming from the other way.”

/]
[/“Shit. We'll never make it to the jeep.” He looked at the brothers. “We got a place. Some safety. Others, women and children.” Merle smirked. “Get us to my jeep and we'll take you to camp.” Daryl looked at Merle and shrugged then looked at M.J. “This is Glenn and I'm Shane.” the cop said.

/]
[/“Fine. But yer ridin' in back.” Merle pulled down the tailgate. “Rebel, hopp.” The dog jumped into the bed. “Hand me the helmet.” He pointed to the teal colored motorcycle with the helmet strapped to the seat. He caught it when Shane tossed it and turned to place it on M.J.'s head. “C'mon Duchess, up on the bitchseat.” he chuckled. “Move it bro.”

/]
[/They turned around and headed back to the tracks and retrieved Shane's jeep. Once Glenn joined him, Daryl and Merle followed them up West Marietta Street to the Quarry. Daryl had been there once or twice helping to drive one of the trucks when he needed the extra money when construction was slow. It was a nice place to squat for a while until M.J. came out of her funk. Then they could decide where to go.

/]
[/Shane introduced them to the camp and showed them where to set up and explained where they could go to clean up. Quickly two tents went up, side by side, and the three of them and Rebel went down to the water and off to one side that was protected by rocks and cleaned up. On the way down they discussed over what to tell them if they asked, but decided in the end to let them come to their own assumptions. Shane already knew they were brothers and figured that she was a kept woman, which suited them just fine. It would keep the guys from sniffing around and when she snapped out of it, she would be allowed anywhere in or out of camp without needing supervision.

/]
[/Daryl and Merle washed up rapidly, they had only stripped down to their boxers, as they argued who was going to help M.J., since she hadn't needed help since she was almost seven. Both felt wrong but it needed to be done. Both growled and nearly had a fit when they found the extent of her bruising once she was stripped down to her sportsbra and boyshorts. Fingermarks ran up both her upper arms. There were fist marks on her left ribcage and massive bruising across her abdomen. It trailed down her leftside to her upper leg, where you could see old and slightly new scarring. Merle let out a bellow of rage and swung around punching one of the rocks, reopening the split knuckles from the day before. Dressing with hast, Merle left Daryl to clean M.J. up. Halfway up the trail he walked by two blondes that he vaguely paid any attention to. Stopping by the truck, he pulled out a six pack and a machete from the front and walked past the tents into the woods.

/]
[/Back at the pond Daryl had to bite the inside of his mouth to stop his outcry of anguish over his niece's treatment. Gently he washed away the blood and dirt. As he was patching her up he heard a gasp and a scuffle behind him the same moment Rebel sat up and barked. He twirled around so fast as he stood he almost faceplanted. He glared at the two women that were just staring at M.J. with horror. He grabbed a wifebeater and tugged it on, covering what he could of her bruises and bandages. Then tugged on one himself and then his jeans.

/]
[/“Do ya mind?!” he growled and Rebel stepped towards them.

/]
[/“Sor... sorry.” the younger blonde stuttered. “We just thought...”

/]
[/“We thought you'd be finished or that she might like some company.” the older blonde filled in the silence.

/]
[/“Well ya thought wrong.” Daryl wrapped a robe around M.J. “C'mon Duchess. Rebel fuss.” He walked away, slightly pulling her beside him. She tripped and everyone reached for her. “I've got her.” he snarled.

/]
[/“Asshole.” the older blonde commented to their retreating backs.

/]
[/“That poor girl.” the younger blonde shook her head.

/]
[/

~~~~~~~~~
/]
[/It had taken four days, but M.J. finally snapped out of it and started to join the group, somewhat. It had only happened because she overheard Ed beating on his wife and his daughter whimpering, almost sobbing. Daryl was out hunting and Merle was helping with watch and since the tent would have been in plain view neither saw a real reason not to go about doing what was needed to keep her safe. M.J. had stumbled out of the tent, with Rebel happily wagging his tail, to find out where the horrible moaning and pleading was coming from. A few feet away from where she stood was the tent, where the sound of flesh hitting flesh with a resounding smack was echoing throughout the sheltered field. Rebel began growling as she closed in on it and just as she was about to reach for the zipper, a heavy hand grabbed her arm. She watched as it moved up her bicep and up to cup her cheek. She smiled wearily, returning her father's exhausted but jubilant grin.

/]
[/“Don't try talking.” He closed her mouth when she opened it to speak. “Ya need ta eat an' drink som'tin firs' while I s'plain where we're at.”

/]
[/An hour passed with them talking in hushed voices. M.J. only semi-agreed with the plan to wait til she had recuperated enough for them to head out. For the next couple of weeks she went on hunting trips with Daryl and scavenging trips with Glenn. It was the second time out with him that Glenn really began to trust her to have his back. If it wasn't for her and Rebel, neither he nor the supplies would have made it back to camp. Forget the walkers, it was the deranged live ones that you had to worry about. After that he agreed never to go far from her sight.

/]
[/End Flashback

~~~~~~~~~

As it was, Glenn and M.J. had plans to go on a supply run tomorrow with either Merle or Daryl, depending on if another hunting trip for food was needed. If their dipshit leader would have waited just one more day none of this would have happened. And just letting any of them volunteer to go into the enemy camp? Andrea was an accident waiting to happen because she didn't know how to listen to orders, thinking she's always right, stupid woman's lib. Jacqui was a little skittish when out of her comfort zone, so her going was confusing to say the least. Morales was always worrying about his family, and sometimes missed the obvious, and just as trusting as T-Dog, which would have gotten them into a very sticky situation if Officer Grimes had been a liar. It was a bad group all around for a first time run together. And of course poor Glenn had to listen to Shane's orders, the asswipe. She reaches over and grabs her uncle's hand and squeezes. They would get through this. Once they got Merle back, these people could go to Hell.

~~~~~~~~~

Several minutes later Rick emerges from his tent, having changed back into his uniform and is stopped by Shane.

“So's that's it, huh?” Shane asks. “You're just gonna walk off? Just to Hell with everybody else?” M.J. notices them walking up the path towards the RV and nudges Daryl.

“I'm not saying to Hell with anybody...” Rick interjects. “Not you Shane; Lori least of all.”

“Tell her that.” Shane says as Rick walks off. Rick stops and turns around and sighs.

“She knows.”

“Well look, I...” Shane quickly follows after Rick. “I don't, okay, Rick? So could you just... could you throw me a bone here, man? Could you just tell me why? Why would you risk your life for a douchebag like Merle Dixon?”

“Hey, choose yer words more carefully.” Daryl buts in as he almost jumps in Shane’s face. M.J. just snorts at Shane's question.

“No, I did.” Shane and Daryl glare at each other. “Douchebag is what I meant.” he states with added emphasis. “Merle Dixon...” he snorts. “The guy wouldn't give you a glass of water if you were dying of thirst.”

“Kinda funny isn't it.” M.J. buts in. “Seeing how Merle Dixon coulda shot you when you held a gun to his brother.” She tilts her head and gives an eery smile. “And he coulda left you an' Glenn behind to those walkers back at the CVS instead of giving you a ride to your jeep.” She stands up slowly and leans into Daryl’s side. “Kinda funny how, at anytime whilst everyone was sleeping, Merle Dixon coulda given the word and we woulda been gone before daylight.” She steps forward, her diction changing as she gets mad, and pokes Shane in the chest. “He's done more fer this camp than ya have wit' yer standin' 'round, tryin' ta look 'portant, an' yelling orders e'ery couple o'mins.” Rick steps in between them when Shane’s hand twitches.

“What he would or wouldn't do doesn't interest me. I can't let a man die of thirst... ME!” Shane sighs in disgust. “Thirst and exposure. We left him like an animal caught in a trap. That's no way for anything to die.” Rick tries to explain his motives; which, as Shane was his partner, should have known. “Let alone a human being.”

“So you and Daryl, that’s your big plan?” Lori speaks up. M.J. twists around and sneers at her.

Rick looks at Daryl for a moment and back at Lori, before turning around to gaze at Glenn.

“Oh, come on...” Glenn sighs with exasperation.

“You know the way. You've been there before.” Rick tries to talk him into it. “In and out, no problem. You said so yourself.” Glenn takes off his hat and runs his fingers through his hair while trying to make up his mind. “It's not fair of me to ask... I know that... But I'd feel a lot better with you along.” He turns to point at his wife. “I know she would too.”

“That's just great.” Shane chimes in. “Now you're gonna risk three men, huh?”

“Four.” T-Dog adds.

Daryl huffs and shakes his head before going back to cleaning his arrows. “M'day jus' gets betta an' betta, don't it?” M.J. nudges him in the side and narrows her eyes at them both.

“You see anybody else here stepping up to save your brother's cracker ass?” T-Dog asks snidely.

“Why you?” Daryl asks, not really wanting an answer.

“You wouldn't even begin to understand.” T-Dog answers anyway. “You don't speak my language.”

“Who cares 'bout speaking yer language.” M.J. snorts. “The geeks don't care 'bout the color of yer skin, jus' the taste o' yer flesh.” Lori frowns and pulls Carl closer to her. “Ta them we're nut'in' but walkin' 'Happy Meals'. The only language anyone needs ta understand is the one 'bout protectin' family an' self. It's the only law an' rule there is anymore.”

“That's four.” Dale points out.

“It's not just four. You're putting every single one of us at risk.” Shane determinedly states.

“Ya don't have ta go. None o' ya do. Jus' tell me which store it was yau left 'im an' Daryl an' I will go get 'im.” She looks over at Glenn.

“I have to. I let you down. I shouldn't have froze. I should have remembered your message. I shouldn't have given in to Shane and waited for you to get back to get supplies.” Glenn hung his head in shame. “You've been nothing but nice to me and even saved me a time or two. And I need to repay that.” Everyone just stares at the two of them in astonishment.

“Just know that Rick.” Shane ignores them and tries to convince Rick to stay. “Come on, you saw that walker. It was here. It was in camp.” he stresses. “They're moving out of the cities. They come back, we're gonna need every able body we've got.” he leans forward into Rick's face. “We need 'em here. We need 'em to protect camp.”

“Seems to me what you really need most here... are more guns.” Rick points out.

“Right, the guns.” Glenn quickly interjects.

“Wait, what guns?” Shane asks confused now.

“Six shotguns, two high powered rifles, over a dozen handguns. I cleaned out the cage back at the station before I left.” Rick explains and then looks down. “I dropped the bag in Atlanta when I got swarmed. It's just sitting there on the street waiting to be picked up.”

“Ammo?”

“700 rounds, assorted.”

“You went through Hell to find us,” Lori breaks in, now trying to change his mind. “You... you just got here and you're gonna turn around and leave?”

“Dad, I don't want you to go.” Carl pipes up.

“To hell with the guns,” Lori says. “Shane is right. Merle Dixon? He's not worth one of your lives even with guns thrown in.” Lori stands up and Rick walks over to her. “Tell me. Make me understand.”

“How 'bout I make ya und'a'stan'.” M.J. growls. “Shove it up yer ass Olive Oyl. I 'm so sick an' tired o' all ya'll puttin' 'im down.” She looks from Lori to Rick to Carl to Shane. “Ya got yer husband back. Ya got yer father back.” Her hand balls into a fist and Rebel looks up and growls as Shane takes a step forward. “Step back Bluto or ya'll regret it fer the rest of yer short miserable life.” She stares at Carl. “An' the cost was 'im chainin' Merle... My father ta the freakin' rooftop.” Everyone gasps as she looks back at Rick and Lori. “We're only here 'cause 'e wanted ta protect me. 'E found shelter so that I could heal. Sure 'e was gruff an' offensive an' crude. Not one o' ya gave 'im or Uncle Daryl a chance. All'o'ya an' yer preconceived notions. Backwards hick. Drunken hillbilly. Redneck woman beater. Hell ya'll treat Ed wit' more respect an' ya damn well know proof positive that 'e beats on Carol an' Sophia an' more; an' not a one o' ya do a damn thin' ta help them.”

“All I hear from you is the slurs.” She looks at Amy and Andrea, who both redden with shame. “About if ya could get rid o' the Dixon’s then I would be safer. Never has my Da or Unca hit me.” Dale looks down as her gaze switches to him, he fiddles with his watch. “Those bruises you comment on so much were from the three pricks that tried to rape me the day a'fore we came ta camp.” She looks at Morales who just gathers his wife and children closer. “I had to kill Mac, the woman he cared about that mornin' an' they were at the pyre an' I needed a few moments ta m'self. Two major traumas not countin' losin' my Uncle, the last connection ta my mother, jus' a few days 'fore is a Hell of a lot on a plate fer any fifteen year old.” Another round of gasps of regret and shame. “Yeah, feel a lil more disgusted 'bout yer comments now don't ya.” She looks over at Ed who turns white as a ghost. “An' Shane, that day, not even a week an' a half ago, that ya tried ta restrain Merle fer beating Ed...” Her lips opened to reveal a shark-like smile. “Ed decided that iffin Merle an' Daryl could get such... how was it that ya put it, oh yes 'A sweet ass piece o' pussy', that 'e should be given the righ' ta have a taste. So 'e decided ta follow me as I went ta wash up.” Daryl and the others sat up straighter and look over at him with disgust. Daryl had only been given a few details of what happened that night and hearing what really happened pissed him off. “Rebel had gotten a hold of sumtin' that made 'im sick so I made 'im stay in camp. I figured ou' that it was the bone ya had Sophia give me, when ya attacked me while I was undressin'. The only thing Merle hates 'bout the lies, is that ya lump 'im in wit' Ed the pedophile. An' frankly it disgusts me that ya'll take the word o' a man that does nothin' but order 'is slave 'round an' the men that scavenge, provide food, an' protection are nothin' but slugs under yer boot.”

“Not worth one o' your lives maybe.” If looks could kill Lori would be six feet under. “But m'Da has always tried 'is best ta do right by me. Sure 'e slides now an' then, but 'e has me an' Unca Dare there ta pick 'im back up.” She glares at Rick and pokes him in the chest. “An' problems wit' 'im is a problem wit' me. 'E broke 'is promise ta me so that's m'beef not yers. Ya had no right ta do wat ya did.” She shakes her head as Rick tries to interrupt. “I'm not talkin' 'bout cuffin' him, Popeye. I’m talkin' 'bout leavin' the key wit' the man who was injured. Why not uncuff 'im a'fore ya left? Hmm... no answer huh? Why not give the key ta Morales... or was 'e the firs' ou' the door? Miz Jacqui woulda uncuffed him iffin only fer me. Not to sure 'bout Andrea, she's always givin' him the stink eye 'cause o' his flirtin'. But iffin 'e made one o' 'is crude comments most likely not. But that's okay, 'cause I don't really see this group goin' ta bat fer each other iffin som'tin' serious happens. Ya'll say yer a group, but yer divided. Dale'll protect the Bobbsey Twins an' maybe the children 'fore an'one else. Andrea only cares fer 'er sista an' vice versa. Morales, his family. Miz Jacqui, the kids. Bluto, Olive Oyl an' Sweetpea, who is the only one she cares about. Carol, Sophia as it should be, wit' Ed running to save his own skin. Same as wit' ol' Jim there.”

“Ya look an' listen an' ya learn. E'en fer all his trainin', learnin' at 'is daddy's knee that lookin' afta yerself is most 'portant, ta Pawpaw Dougie teachin' him that kith an' kin isn't just blood, ta the Marine's 'Never leave a man behind'. All ya'll people see is the surface, uneducated redneck that likes ta bully. Jus' think, both those rednecks raised me. The one ya'll wanted ta keep. Newsflash, once we get Merle back, ya'll can go ta Hell. Our supplies go wit' us. Let's see how long ya'll make it fendin' fer yerselves. Hunt yer own fresh meat. Make Glenn scavenge by 'imself or wit' reckless groups that will get 'im killed. I really don't care. But don't worry, I’m a decent human being. Iffin ya were on fire I’d stomp it out.” She smirks. “'Cause m'moral compass migh' be a tad skewed, but least I have one an' I keep my promises.” She nods to Sophia before walking back to her things and heads for the van.

Everyone takes a couple of moments to absorb dressing down and the new information. Daryl just looks at them in disgust before following his niece. He hops up and goes to lend her a hand but she walks away muttering something about lockpicks. He sighs and begins to pace, waiting for the others, if they were coming. Rick turns his attention back to his wife and their previous discussion.

“I owe a debt to a man I met and his little boy.” Lori looks away but Rick continues to try and make her see reason. “Lori, if they hadn't taken me in, I'd of died. It's because of them that I made it back to you at all. They said they would follow me to Atlanta. They'll walk into the same trap I did, if I don’t warn him.”

“What's stopping you?” Lori asks now leaning a tad to him going back.

“The walkie-talkie, the one in the bag that I dropped. He's got the other one. Our plan was to connect when they got closer.” Rick explains.

“Is it our walkies?” Shane sighs and rubs his face, knowing that there was no way now that he would be able to talk Rick out of not going.

“Yeah.”

“So use the C.B. What's wrong with that?” Andrea asks confused.

“The C.B.'s fine...” Shane states. “It's the walkies that suck to crap. Date back to the 70's, don't match any other bandwidth, not even the scanners in our cars.”

“I need that bag.” Rick says softly. Then he proceeded to walk around his wife and kneel by his son. “Okay?” His son nods. “All right.”

~~~~~~~~~

Glenn hops into the box van and proceeds to turn it around so that they could leave.

“Rumor is that you have bolt cutters.” Rick declares as he walks towards the RV where Dale and Jim are working on the engine.

“Maybe.” Dale says hesitantly.

“Yeah, we get to that roof, though, we'll need to cut that chain and the handcuffs.” T-Dog explains.

“I never like lending tools. The last time I did, and yes I’m talking about you,” Dale points to T-Dog. “Let's just say, your bag of guns wasn't the only bag that was dropped. My tools got left behind,” Dale looks at Rick like he would understand, “with Merle.”

“We'll bring your tools back too.” Rick promises. Behind him in the back of the box van, Daryl is walking around and staring at the four men. “Think of the bolt cutters as an investment.”

“Sounds like more of a gamble.” Dale grouches as he walks over to his tool box and pulls out the bolt cutters. “What do I get in return?” He asks Rick as he holds onto them as T-Dog reaches out.

“What do you want?” Rick asks.

“How about one of those guns you bring back?” Dale haggles. “My pick.”

“Done.” Rick agrees quickly.

Jim clears his throat. “Dale, uh, let's sweeten the deal a bit. Now that cube van of yours.”

“What about it?” Rick asks getting impatient.

“The RV's radiator hose is shot. That's a problem if we need to get somewhere and wanna get very far.” Jim drawls out slowly. “And the hose on that van is just about a perfect match, well enough that I can make it fit.”

“I tell you what... We get back, you can strip down the van to the bare metal.” Rick promises.

Daryl lays down on the horn several times to get them to hurry up. “C'mon. Let's go.” he shouts. It startles them and M.J walks around the car from where she had overheard their conversation.

“Nice ta know ya value a bag of lousy tools an' a gun over a human life Dale. Jim, really, bargainin' for truck parts?” she sneers. “You people jus' get worse an' worse. Don't worry, I have my own lockpicker.” She holds up Daryl’s bolt cutters. “Iffin yer comin' move yer ass. Otherwise jus' stay here an' twiddle yer thumbs.” She hops up into the back with Daryl and settles down. “Bunch o' fuckin' pricks Unca Daryl. The whole lot o' 'em.”

“Hey Rick,” Shane calls out as he pulls a black duffel back from the back of his jeep. “Got any rounds in the Python?” He walks over to the back of the van and opens it.

“No.” Ricks says as he shakes his head.

“Last time we were on the gun range, I’m sure I wound up with a few loose rounds of yours.” Shane smiles.

“You and that bag...” Rick chuckles. “Like the bottom of an old lady's purse.”

“I hate that you're doing this, man.” Shane speaks quickly. “I think that it's foolish and reckless. But if you're gonna go, you're taking bullets.”

“I'm not sure I want to fire a shot in the city.” Rick hedges. “Not after what happened last time.”

“That's up to you.” Shane shrugs off his response. “Well... shit.” Shane looks down to both his hands. “Five people, four rounds. What are the odds huh? Well let's just hope that, uh,” Shane hands over the bullets. “That four is your lucky number, okay?”

“Thank you.” Rick says before walking away.

Rick climbs into the passenger seat and begins to load the four rounds into the chamber of the Python. Glenn looks at him before pulling his seatbelt on. Daryl pulls down the back hatch and the entire camp watches them pull away.

~~~~~~~~~

The van pulls up along the railroad tracks on the other-side of a long chain-link fence.

“He'd better be okay.” Daryl says looking at T-Dog. M.J. leans her head against his shoulder. “It's my only word on the matter.”

“I told you the geeks can't get at him.” T-Dog tries to reassure him. “The only thing that's gonna get through that door is us.”

The van stops and Glenn turns around to look at everyone. “We walk from here.”

Quickly everyone disembarks and begins the long trek to the building where Merle was. M.J. and Rebel take the lead and scout ahead to make sure no geeks were inside the fence or any hostile survivors. Glenn leads the others to the section of the fence that he had previously cut open and jerry-rigged shut.

“Merle first or the guns?” Rick asks the group.

“Merle!” Daryl states determinedly. “We ain't even havin' this conversation.”

“Don't rightly care wat ya decide Grimes.” M.J. declares when they stop. “We're goin' afta Merle. Iffin ya decide ta head fer the guns, be my guest. Didn't need ya help a'fore an' we sure in Hell don't need it now. We know how ta watch our backs.”

“We are.” Rick puts his foot down. He looks at Glenn. “You know the geography. It's your call.”

“Merle's closest.” Glenn states trying to catch his breath. “The guns would mean doubling back. Merle first.” He watches M.J.'s retreating back and sighs.

~~~~~~~~~

Once at the abandoned department store, the group slowly ventures inside. Creeping through the racks of clothing, they hear a noise and Rick holds up his hand to have them stop. He turns to Daryl and motions for him to see the lone walker and to shoot it.

“Damn. You are one ugly skank.” Daryl sighs with disgust as he fires his crossbow.

Cautiously they maneuver about the store to the stairwell. M.J. points out Merle’s two duffel bags sitting off to the side, filled with supplies. She tosses one to Daryl, who puts it on his shoulder and then the bolt cutters through the loops, while she swung the other on hers. Making sure that her bow was ready she lead the charge up the steps to the rooftop. Pausing only long enough to use the bolt cutters, they rush through the door.

“Merle!” Daryl shouts as he pushes T-Dog out of the way to get to his brother. “Merle!” He runs over to the pipe when Merle doesn't respond. Hoping against hope that he was just unconscious from the heat and not dead. He stops and starts yelling at what he sees instead. “NO! NO!” Daryl turns and looks at Rick and T-Dog with hate-filled eyes. Looking past them he sees the tears welling in M.J.'s eyes. “Oh God Duchess don't look.” she stumbles down the steps and wretches away from both Glenn and T-Dog's helping hands. She collapses a few feet away from the pipe just staring.

“NO!” She cries out like a wounded animal while Daryl paces back and forth trying to get the image now burned into his brain, out. There laying on the ground inches away from where Merle was cuffed was a bloody hacksaw. And inches away from it was a set of bloody handcuffs still attached to the pipe. There, in between the two bloody items, was Merle's right hand, cut off at the wrist. “NO! NO! Daddy!” Her screams are deafening.
Sign up to rate and review this story