Categories > Original > Fantasy > These Four Walls

Home, Sweet Home

by AlexisSCREAM 1 review

The twins explore the house.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2013-03-11 - 664 words

5Moving
Basically, in a few chapters time, there will be some random time lapses because the story doesn't properly start until the twins are 17... although plenty does happen before then.
xoxo



The twins wandered aimlessly around the impossibly large house for hours, losing themselves in the many rooms. They couldn’t believe that their parents, the ones that despised them now, would give them this. Obviously, it was a way of getting them out of their parents’ lives, paying them off and preventing them from speaking out. Yoshi thrust his hand out into the space beside him, grabbing his sister’s hand, desperation flooding their new surroundings.

The house was such a ridiculous size that the two teenagers could not remember where they had left their bags, what kitchen they’d been in earlier, or where the hell those rooms were that they’d called dibs on earlier. The sudden freedom terrified the youngsters. Never before had they been allowed to even leave the house without their parents checking up on them every twenty minutes or so, to check that their beloved children hadn’t been raped and left dead in a ditch somewhere. Look now, Yoshi thought bitterly, now they don’t even give a fuck.

They passed through a living area. It was a fairly average size, unlike the rest of the rooms in their new house, however there was a huge television hung up on the wall opposite the glass door that they had walked through. Underneath the television was a sound system, and scattered around the room were blue, teal and white beanbags. The plush carpet was off-white, and the walls were a deep blue at the top, fading into a pale baby blue at the bottom. There was a glass coffee table in the centre of the room, and, over to one side, a couple of white cupboards. Yoshi opened the first one, finding a stack of cushions that matched the colours of the beanbags. Opening the other cupboard carefully, Hoshi was surprised to see a fridge in there. She opened it gingerly, unsure of its contents.

Inside, there was a note.

“If you’ve come this far, well done, children. I imagine this will have taken a few weeks, maybe even months to find. We’ve decorated the house for you. Don’t destroy it, and please, don’t visit us. Don’t even contact us. We don’t want you.
Your grandparents”

Hoshi read the note with shaking hands, and dropped it after she’d read the final words. Yoshi shook his head, annoyed that his family could give people so much, and yet care so little. He didn’t want the money, the house, the fucking television... he wanted his family. He wanted to be loved. And Hoshi’s sobbing indicated that she felt the same way. Yoshi bent down and picked up the note, screwing the flimsy paper up in his hand and forcing it into his pocket in a violent manner before wrapping a caring arm around his sister and walking out of the room to continue their search.

They continued to stroll around the house, not bothering to admire too many more details, afraid if what they would find. Yoshi breathed a silent sigh of relief as Hoshi’s crying finally stopped and he wiped away the tears from her cheeks.

The pair eventually found the hallway. It was a large, spacious room with white walls and a grey marble floor. The furniture was all in black, white and grey, giving the room a modern feel. Modern, yet cold. There was nothing neither homely nor welcoming about this place. It felt empty. There was no life, no soul in the house. The twins stood still, muted by the overwhelming thoughts of what their situation meant. They had no one but each other.

“We’re going to be okay here,” Yoshi told his sister, with tears in his eyes, “We’re going to be okay...”
Sign up to rate and review this story