Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Griffon Reborn

Recovery

by Yrtria 2 reviews

A friend found, a deal made, and a donation is gathered.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2013-03-18 - 3446 words

5Original
Chapter 20

Hermione gradually woke from one of the best sleeps she had had in a long time. Her joints crackled as she stretched out, a languid smile on her face. Hermione settled back into the covers for a few minutes while she went over what had happened after Harry, Ginny and Luna had left the hospital the day before.

The portkey deposited them at the Burrow. Once she had gotten over the surprise, Molly and Hermione had Luna changed into some fresh pajamas and tucked into Ginny’s old bedroom. Harry held Henry as the women were a hurricane of activity. The two males just stayed out of the way while things were put straight

Hermione came down to the kitchen and sat at the table. She had been visiting with Molly when Luna, Ginny and Harry arrived in the dining area by portkey. Harry pushed a just poured cup of pumpkin juice towards her with a weak smile. His eyelids were drooping and he had terrible black bags under them as if he had been awake for days.

“Harry! You’re exhausted! You need to get some rest. Let me take you home and you can get some sleep. Ginny and Molly can handle everything here now.”

Harry just nodded and set Henry on the table as he stood. Henry strutted over to Hermione and sniffed once, then let out a small sneeze of welcome before he sauntered up the stairs to join Luna.

Hermione smiled as she thought that Henry would get along famously with Crookshanks.He shook her head and stepped beside Harry to lend a shoulder to lean on.

“Let’s get to the fire so I can help you through the floo.” Harry just nodded and lurched towards the door. His fatigue was almost overwhelming now that the adrenaline was out of his system. Hermione escorted him to the fire, tossed in some floo powder and called out her destination, “Granger Residence!”

Upon arriving at home, Dobby had leapt at the chance to help Harry. Within moments, he was also changed to some comfortable pajamas and tucked into the Granger’s guest bedroom. Hermione explained what had happened to her parents.


Hermione did her morning rituals of brushing her hair and teeth, then dressed and went down stairs. She saw her mother sitting in the breakfast nook having a light breakfast with Dobby. She got along famously with the house elf. Hermione remembered when she had to explain to Dobby about how sometimes friends just did things for each other when Emma had gifted him a new modern pots and pans set. The poor elf was beside himself that someone would do that for him when all he had done was share some of the recipes he used in everyday cooking. Emma had completely amazed her cooking club with some of Dobby’s creations.

“Good Morning, Hermione. Our guest seems to still be asleep. I looked in on him before I came down for breakfast. I don’t think he’s even moved all night!”

“He was completely exhausted, both physically and magically. I don’t doubt he won’t be awake before noon. Have you heard from Ginny or Molly today?”

“Molly fire called about half an hour ago. Luna is awake and eating. She seems to be bouncing back from her ordeal quite quickly. I’m always amazed at how your magical healing is so efficient. Any non-magical person just waking from a coma that lasted that long would be going through extensive physical rehabilitation just to be able to walk. Molly said Ginny will have her up and flying in a week! Luna was asking about her wand. Do you know anything about it?”
Hermione shook her head. “She’s going to have to get a new one. I believe her old one was destroyed in the fire that killed her father.”

A voice from the kitchen entrance startled both women. “That’s something I can help with, but I will need to go back to the Burrow first.”

Hermione jumped up and pulled Harry into a hug. “How are you feeling?”

Harry returned the hug and said, “I’m fine.”

Emma’s laugh filled the kitchen. “Oh, Harry! You’re just like she described! Hermione said you could be bleeding to death and you would respond with ‘fine’ if anyone asked. I’m pleased to see that a good night’s rest is all you needed in this case.”

Harry chuckled and looked at Hermione. “Telling tales about me, were you? Thank you, Mrs. Granger for the use of the bed.”

“It wasn’t an imposition. Now, I need to head to the surgery. Ta!” She picked up her bag and headed out the door.

Emma’s plates floated to the sink and started to clean themselves. Harry could see Dobby whipping up a breakfast of champions at the stove. “Alright there, Dobby?”

“Oh, Harry Potter, sir! Dobby is so happy you is home! Breakfast will be ready right away!”
Harry shook his head with a smile.

***

The fire flared up and turned green at the Burrow as two people stepped from the flames. Molly looked up from the dough she was kneading and smiled as she saw who it was.

“Harry! Hermione! You’re just in time. Ginny is helping Luna get dressed and will be down in a few moments. Harry, be a dear, stand by the stairs to give a helping hand if she needs it?”

Harry moved to stand near the end of the staircase. He could hear voices coming closer and a couple of feminine laughs. Luna and Ginny came around the last landing and stopped for a moment to allow Luna to shuffle to the last few stairs. Harry’s face lit up with a huge smile as he saw Luna moving about. He held out his arm as she stepped off the last stair. Luna placed her hand on his arm to steady herself as she gingerly moved to the table. Ginny slid the chair under her as she settled onto the chair.

“Luna! You look wonderful! You moving around on your own in a few days,” Hermione commented to the blonde.

“I feel like I’ve been assaulted by wrackspurts, with some nargles putting in their own two cents!”

Hermione’s smile froze on her face. “Uhm. Yes. Quite.”

Harry sat at the chair across from Luna. Henry made himself known by climbing into his lap. The careful placement and depth of claws had Harry frozen in place until the snorkack had gotten comfortable.

“Honestly! I just got rid of the hair that Crookshanks left last time he visited! We’ll be picking it out of everything again!” Molly huffed as she saw Henry.

Luna turned and looked at Molly. “Snorkacks don’t shed, Mrs. Weasley. They are like phoenixes and can control when and how much hair they drop. I’m willing to bet you won’t find a single hair that comes from Henry.” Henry accentuated the comment with a snort.

Molly goggled at the small cat-like animal. She had just assumed it was a species of kneazle cross that she hadn’t seen before, but she had never heard a kneazle snort.

Harry took this as an opportunity to do what he came to the Burrow for. “I understand you are missing a wand? I was wondering if Henry would be willing to provide a few hairs for me to build a new one for you. I would only need half dozen shorter ones, or a few longer ones.”

Henry jumped up to the table and turned to look Harry in the eyes. Harry could feel something that was almost akin to a legilemency probe, but softer. He got the distinct feeling he was being judged. After a few moments the snorkack ducked back onto his lap and dragged its self under his hand like a cat or dog would do when seeking attention. Harry looked at the palm of his hand and saw a small tuft of hair. He smiled and placed it into an envelope he had brought for just this purpose.

“I swear that I will not let this hair out of my sight. When I am done creating the wand for Luna, I will give her all the unused hair. Thank you, Henry.”

Luna smiled and replied, “Keep what you don’t use Harry. We both know you won’t allow it to get into the wrong hands. Who knows? There might be a young Hogwart’s student that one of the wands made with the hair chooses who gets sorted into Ravenclaw?”

Harry and Hermione stayed for another twenty minutes chatting with Luna, Ginny and Molly. Luna tired quickly and was assisted back to her bed by Ginny and Hermione. Harry excused himself and flooed to Ollivander’s to start Luna’s new wand.

***

Harry was putting the finishing touches on Luna’s new wand when the bell sounded for the front door. Ollivander was hunched over a wand that he was trying to fix and was oblivious to the world. Harry set down his polishing cloth and went to the front.

Remus had puzzled over Moody’s words all night. He wanted to rush over to the wand maker’s shop first thing in the morning and find out exactly what was going on, but restrained himself until almost noon. It had been many years since he had been in Ollivander’s. The only real changes he noticed was the shelves seemed a bit more organized. The dust seemed to have been wiped away and the glass on the windows was actually clean.

A shape came from behind the curtain to the back.

“Welcome to Ollivander’s. How can I help……Moony?” Harry’s eyes were large as he spoke the last of his welcome.

Remus only took a moment to look at the man before him before stepping forward and pulling him into a hug. His arms gripped Harry like a dying man in his last moments.

“Harry! Where have you been? Are you ok? I’m so glad to see you…. I thought you were….”

“Remus... can’t…breathe…” Harry gasped out.

Moony relaxed his hold but didn’t completely let go. He stretched his arms out while still gripping Harry’s to hold him at arm’s length. His face was covered in tears, his expression of a broken man only now seeing the light of hope.

“I’m ok, Moony. I’ve had a rough go of it. It’s been a difficult path, but I’m better.” He looked at the back room and sighed. “I have to work until later this afternoon, but we can have supper after?”

Remus nodded and wiped at his tear streaked face. He pulled Harry into another hug, not quite as tight as the last one. “As long as you never leave me alone again, Pup. Promise?”

Harry nodded with a smile and said, “I promise. Now… can I sell you a wand polishing kit?”

***

The two men were seated in a privacy booth at The Leaky Cauldron for supper. Harry managed to get completely through the entire story about his trial and incarceration without stopping once. He wasn’t sure if it was the retelling of it several times, or just that he was finally coming to terms with his lost years, but he didn’t feel as bad as he normally did after the tale was out. He brought Remus up to date with everything that had happened. He left nothing out.

Remus listened in silence. His head bowed down by the end. They were quiet as Tom brought over two warmed glasses of Ogden’s Finest.

“On the house, Gentlemen. Well, actually it’s from Alastor’s private stash, but he won’t mind.” With a wink he passed back through the privacy ward.

Harry passed a glass to Remus. Raising his glass he toasted, “Here’s to those who wish us well. Riddle and his tossers can go to hell!”

Remus snorted in laughter as he tried to drink his firewhisky. A small flame shot from his nose as the liquid came out. After waiting a moment to see if Remus was ok they both started to laugh. It quickly degenerated into table slapping and howls of laughter.

After several minutes of chuckling, the two men were finally able to look at each other without setting the other off again.

“Oh, Pup! I haven’t laughed like that for years! I’m so glad you’re back! What are your plans now?”

Harry sipped his fire whisky and sat back in the booth for a few moments before answering. With a deep sigh he spoke.

“Honestly, I’m sort of winging it. Since I was released I’ve participated in three fights, woke one of my friends from a coma, and built an apprenticeship for myself. It’s all been rather muddled together.”

Remus nodded and tossed the last of his whisky back. He hissed as it burned its way to his stomach.

“Why not take Moody up on his offer? You could sharpen yourself while providing Aurors with valuable skills. And the law is clear. You can’t buy a new wand, but you can make one! It’s a loophole that the purebloods made sure to have so they could get new ones when theirs gets snapped. Use their laws against them.”

Harry nodded. He looked into his glass and squinted his eyes in thought.

“Usually you’re supposed to read tea leaves, not Ogden’s Finest.” Harry glanced up and laughed.
“Just lost in thought. I’m pretty sure I have the materials I need for a wand, but I don’t know if it will work for me. Either way, it will be difficult to make. I’ve already spent a few weeks on it, and it’s slow going. Ollivander says if I can create a functioning wand, it will be a masterwork.”

Remus sat back in surprise. “A masterwork? You do realize that would grant you a mastery in Wand Making? And since the Ollivander family is the only current group in Great Britain to have the ability to grant Mastery, you would be part of a select group? Anyone can make a crude wand, but they usually have to be replaced fairly often as they burn out. A Master Wand Maker’s wand lasts a lifetime and beyond!”

Harry smiled again. He finished his whisky and stood up. “And if I’m going to ever get it done, I have to be at work tomorrow! Good night, Moony. If you need to get in touch you know where to find me!”

***

Alastor Moody was at the Auror Acadamy when Hedwig delivered her message to him. He stretched his arm out for her to land on it. Several of the trainees gasped as he allowed what they thought to be an unknown owl to land on him…and one with mail!

Mad-Eye removed the missive and gave Hedwig an owl treat from his pocket. She gave a short bark of thanks, then daintily took it from his fingers. Once she had finished the treat, she launched off his arm and back out the nearby window.

With a growl that could be heard across the compound, Moody chastised the auror recruits. “Get back to it! Constant Vigilance!” He followed the words with several lightning fast stinging hexes. There was a fury of activity as they tried to comply. Alastor unrolled the parchment and read the note.

Moody,
I will agree to two half days a week, payment to be made to Ollivander’s Shop for my time. You will need to provide me with a secure floo address, or a re-usable portkey. I will be known as James Black at all times. I also reserve the right to refuse to instruct anyone who cannot accept any rules I may impose. Let Tom at the Leaky Cauldron know your response.
HJPB


Moody flicked the parchment in the air and aimed an incendio to dispose of it. After ensuring it was ash, he returned to his trainees.

After the training day was over, Moody retired to the Leaky Cauldron for a drink. When Tom brought his glass over he set a rolled parchment, an Instructor badge, and several coins on the table. Tom looked at the items, and lifted an eyebrow at his friend.

“Our mutual friend has agreed to assist me for a couple days a week. The message and badge are for him, the coins for you.”

Tom’s face belied his doubt. “Are you sure? He’s never even finished his schooling. You might be making a poor decision asking for his help. He’s not the same lad he was all those years ago. He’s gotten… hard.”

Alastor barked a grating laugh before tossing back the glass of whisky. “That man and four of his school friends took out a dozen Death Eaters in the Ministry ten years ago. They were only young boys and girls then, and HE trained them. All they used were stunners, jelly legs and other school grade curses! He’s faced down Voldemort several times, and I personally saw the mess he left behind when he didn’t use stunners. Those Auror cadets won’t know what hit them.”

Tom nodded and swiped up the items from the table. “I hope you know what you’re doing. I’ll bring you another glass, and some supper if you’ll have it?” Moody nodded and sank into thought, his blue eye whirling alert even as he was contemplating the next time he saw Harry.

***

Harry was picking up a take away lunch in Muggle London for himself and Ollivander. He was passing back through the Leaky Cauldron when Tom motioned him over.

“Ah, Ollivander’s young Journeyman. I seem to be unable to get away from the bar, and have a delivery that cannot wait. Would you be willing to drop off something for me on your way back to your master’s shop? I would make it worthwhile?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders in acceptance and waited for Tom to get the delivery together, a dozen butter beers. “It’s to go the Weasley brothers shop. It’s already paid for, just take it in to the front desk and they will accept the delivery. There are an additional two for you in this bag here for your trouble.”

Harry added the bag with his bottles to the take away box, and set it on top of the dozen bottles. With a jaunty nod and smile, he was through the arch and into the Alley. A few minutes later, he set the bottles on Fred and George’s desk. The brothers waved as he left the store.

As he was unpacking the lunch, Ollivander passed him the bag that the butter beers had been in.

“I believe this is yours as well, Mr. Black. I will expect a detailed accounting of the time and any materials you may use while assisting Auror Moody. We will bill the Ministry accordingly. Would an even split for what we charge for your time be acceptable to you?”

Harry had dumped the contents of the bag out in front of him as Ollivander spoke. He fingered the badge for a moment before speaking. “Yes, Mr. Ollivander. I believe that would be acceptable. I appreciate you allowing me the time to go and do this. I promise it is only two half days a week, and they can be any two that fit in with the store’s needs.”

Ollivander laughed. “Mr. Black! You will bring in more income in the next few weeks than we see in a year! It would be curmudgeonly of me to not give you at least an equal share. I managed to muddle along before you came to work for me, so no worries there. Please let me know the days you will be gone, so I can adjust our schedules accordingly. Now let’s eat. I’m curious to try these… what did you call them? Peet-sa?”

Author’s Note:
All I can say is: Sorry. It’s been far too long since I did an update. I can only hope that those of you who have been waiting for me to update are forgiving. FicWad seems to be giving me troubles again. I suggest you head to fanfiction - dot - net as I seem to have better luck there.
Sign up to rate and review this story