Categories > Original > Fantasy > These Four Walls

A New Name

by AlexisSCREAM 0 reviews

It felt right.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [!!] [?] - Published: 2013-04-12 - 850 words

5Original
The wine haired boy was sitting in front of the television, staring blankly at the moving images in front of him. He pulled his hoodie sleeves over his hands, and thought about the events of the last week. He’d grown to detest himself; he felt he needed to change. Not his clothes, not the way he dressed or looked, but who he was. Not anything too major, just a mask. And a new name. Kazuyoshi was a sad boy, half Japanese, half American, but raised Japanese. All of his memories of Japan had been him hiding. He had been afraid of his father for so long. This new “him” would seem happy to those who knew otherwise.

He grabbed his notebook at wrote down a list of names that he liked. Some were Japanese, some were English, and some were even from various other countries, and, although he couldn’t pronounce them himself, he liked how they sounded in their native accents. The list grew longer by the second so Yoshi forced himself to stop after he’d filled an A4 sheet of paper. The names were interesting, but he couldn’t see any of them fitting who he was. He didn’t want to abandon his birth name, and decided that would be his middle name.

“Something Kazuyoshi Yoshitaka,” he mumbled to himself, looking through the names again. He found himself drawn to the name “Ritsuka”, but found himself shaking his head. That wasn’t the name he wanted. Although he really did like the name, he could imagine people calling him it every single day. He grabbed his laptop, which had been next to him and opened it up. He switched the machine on and waited, albeit impatiently, for it to load. When he finally opened the internet, he looked at various websites that contained ridiculous amounts of names for babies, the majority of which he had never heard of. He scrolled through them, mentally crossing them off. He found most of them uninteresting. He’d reached P in the alphabet before he began thinking that maybe a female name would be best, as most of the names he could see were all ones that he couldn’t ever imagine being called by.

He half heartedly pressed the button to open the page of names beginning with Q, and almost laughed at the name “Quentin” (he’d always found that name amusing, and he certainly wasn’t the fifth of anything). He quickly clicked to open the list of names that began with R and scrolled down, not really reading them. He stopped scrolling instantly when his eyes met with one particular name containing 8 letters.

Roderick.

“Roderick Kazuyoshi Yoshitaka,” he said aloud. He liked the names, but no, it sounded all wrong. But Roderick felt so right. He was Roderick, surely? He should’ve been called Roderick from the beginning. He suddenly felt angry. Why didn’t the name fit? Why didn’t it sound right? He slammed his laptop shut and pushed it off of his lap, standing up hurriedly. His notebook and pen tumbled to the floor as he raced out of the room and headed to his sister’s bedroom. He knew he’d find her there and, after a couple of minutes or running through the large house – it was too large, he didn’t understand how anybody would need this much space – he found himself outside of his sisters bedroom. He knocked, and his sister spoke quietly, inviting him inside.
“Hoshi, I want a new name,” he said simply.
“I know. You’ve been saying this for days now,” she sighed.
“I know what name I want, but it doesn’t sound very good,”
“Well, what is it?” the light copper haired girl questioned.
“Roderick Kazuyoshi Yoshitaka,” the boy said, pulling the sleeves of his rainbow checked hoodie over his hands once again.
“You want to be called Roderick?” she said, giggling slightly.
“Don’t you like it?”
“I do, I just didn’t think you’d chose a name like that, that’s all. Uhm, if you want to improve it, then I guess you could add another name in between Roderick and Kazuyoshi,” she smiled.
“Okay, thanks, then,” he said with a smile, before leaving his twin’s bedroom. He strolled through the house, thinking about a selection of names that he liked. Once he reached the living room that he’d been in before, (why were there so many rooms with the same function in this house?) he knelt down and picked up his notebook. Still kneeling, he skim-read through them and smiled. He could use Ritsuka.
“Roderick Ritsuka Kazuyoshi Yoshitaka,” he said slowly. It didn’t sound perfect, but he loved it nonetheless. It felt strangely right to be called that. Smiling, he closed the notebook that was infront of him and picked up his pen. He scrawled “Property of Roderick Ritsuka Kazuyoshi Yoshitaka” on the front and, with a large smile, stared at it. It was so right.
Now, Roderick just had to make this change legal.
Sign up to rate and review this story