Categories > Original > Drama

Reno's Story

by FantasyChild 4 reviews

How I got to where I am today.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2013-04-12 - Updated: 2013-04-13 - 1116 words

0Unrated
This is pretty personal, and a bit angsty. If you don't like too much angst, please skip straight to the end. Thanks. Also, the only part of my real name I used are my middle names-they really are Laura Sky Destiny!

My name is Reno Laura Sky Destiny Blackburn. That’s not my real name (at least, not Reno or Blackburn-my middle names are real, though), but I prefer it as a means of keeping my identity a secret. I was born on June 3rd, 1997, in Las Vegas, Nevada. I was one week early, and was born by emergency C-section. Why? Simple-I was a twin, and my younger by two minutes twin sister, named Sasha, had a heart condition. At just two days old, she had open heart surgery to try and fix the issue. Unfortunately, the odds were against her-she didn’t survive, and I became an only child.

Her death put great strain on my parents’ marriage as the time went by, and they split and divorced when I was about two. My parents decided it would probably be best for me to go with my dad-my mother had turned to alcohol and drugs to cope with the pain of losing Sasha. There was more she didn’t tell us, but that comes later.

After the divorce, dad and I moved to Utah. We were there for a year before he got a job in California, so off to Cali we go. His job requires him to move often, and while I’ve always hated it, I kind of like the fact he makes a lot of money for doing so. A lot of his money, apart from bills and rent and stuff, goes into buying things for me-I guess you could say I’m a bit spoilt.

I’ve always been picked on at school. I think it’s because I’m constantly moving and stuff-I don’t really care though, I give the bullies a “Screw you!” attitude.

Now, I got Facebook when I was 13. I enjoyed it immensely-I got to catch up with friends from previous states I’ve lived in. One day, when I was nearly 14, I got a friend request from a boy named Austin Sinclair. He was 17, and he didn’t look too suspicious, so I accepted. The next time I was on Facebook, he was online, so I opened the chat, saying “Hey, do I know you, by any chance?” with a smiley face to show I wasn’t trying to be rude or anything. He said to me “I know you, but you don’t know me.” I was confused, so I decided to look on his profile for clues. I came to his family. And, right there was my mother (I didn’t have her on Facebook). I remember having my head cocked to the side, thinking “How do you know my mother?” Then I saw it. He had written my mother as his mother. I typed to him, “Is (my mom’s name) your mother?” He said yes, even though her surname was now Sinclair. He told me he was my half-brother. I had an older brother I never knew about.

The next day, I called my mother. I had told dad about what I had found out, and he sat down with me to talk with my mother over the phone. I told her she had some explaining to do. She confessed that she had had a child with another man back in 1994. That was the thing, though-she had been with my dad from 1989 until 1999, the two having married in 1992. She admitted that the year-long ‘business trip’ she had gone on in Detroit from May 1993-May 1994 wasn’t a business trip at all. She had went there to visit her cousin for whatever reason, and originally intended to be there a month. She told dad it was a business trip because for some reason, he didn’t like my mother’s cousin. Mom had an affair with her cousin’s friend two weeks into her stay. She discovered she was pregnant, and as a cover-up told dad the business trip had changed to being a year long. She stayed with her cousin for the pregnancy, plus the first few months afterwards. The child, Austin, had stayed with his dad, that way my dad didn’t suspect anything.

Of course, my dad was hurt discovering this. Mom then admitted she had met up with Austin’s dad again in 2000, as he had moved to Vegas, and they had married in January 2002 and had another child, Tyson, in August 2002. You have no idea how much it hurt to hear my mother had been lying to me whenever we talked over the phone, or via email or whatever. I haven’t spoken to mom since. I still speak to Austin and occasionally Tyson via Skype though. I like them, they’re nice, but I do not approve of the fact that my mom had lied to me about their existence.

In late 2011, things started looking up. We moved to Arizona, where dad met someone special. Her name was Nadine. Dad and her started dating shortly after they met. I approved of the relationship-Nadine was nice. When we had to move to New Mexico, my current state, in October 2012, dad asked Nadine if she would like to come with us-and she said she only would if I wanted her to. I was kind of overwhelmed that she actually cared about my opinion-I told her I wanted her to come, if you’re wondering. As you may be able to tell, I adore Nadine-she’s much more of a mother than mine ever was. She’s even taken to calling me Reno sometimes, rather then my real name. Her and dad actually just got engaged last month-I’m so thrilled about it. I never wanted a sibling (I don’t really count Austin and Tyson), but now I wouldn’t mind if Nadine and dad had a child.

I still get bullied, sure. I still miss Sasha, even if I don’t really remember her, and have to my life for the both of us. I still don’t speak to mom, even though I still love her. I still miss the good old days of living in Nevada, despite not really remembering it. I’m still not a big fan of moving as much as I do. I haven't had a boyfriend or my first kiss yet.

But you know what?

I’m Reno Laura Sky Destiny Blackburn, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Review if you please! Or not, I don't mind, yo!
Sign up to rate and review this story