Categories > Original > Poetry

Graduation

by BipolarUnicorn 4 reviews

This is something I wrote after playing with the concert band at my school graduation ceremony.

Category: Poetry - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2013-07-23 - 247 words

0Unrated
And here is your graduating class of 2013!

The valedictorian were called, then came the salutatorian. Seniors walking across the stage becoming high school graduates. Going off in the real world, some heading off to college, some going straight off into the work force. As I sat in the pit, my flute occupying my lap, I stared at each person that walked across the stage and later we able to cross over their tassels and toss their cap into the air. As we played the graduation marched, I thought and thought, realizing something.

I'm never going to walk across that stage. I know I won't make it that far.

It's an evil thought that plagues me and I feel like I'm rotting already. Beginning to feel a numbing feeling, until I become completely paralyzed with fear and sadness. My breathing became jagged and I could feel myself start to shake. I tried to keep it together for the sake of the happiness of the day. I could feel a tear stream down my face frantically wiping it off, looking to see if anyone had noticed, which they hadn't. I played on, without missing a note, and thought.

Thinking about if I'll ever make it this far. But doubt always stays with me, I don't think I'll ever set foot out of my Junior year. I'll never walk across that stage, or throw my cap. Somethings just don't happen, graduating is something I don't see my self ever doing.
Sign up to rate and review this story