Categories > Original > Romance

I Promise You This

by JustAGhost 1 review

OneShot inspired by a song, The Promise by Emma Blackery.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2013-07-30 - 772 words

0Unrated
I felt her take one of my hands in hers and kiss it gently. Twisting my head round, my eyes met hers immediately. Even through a sea of tears clouding my vision, I could see her face clearly being spotlighted under the streetlamp. The contours of her face were highlighted by the dim, yellow glow.

"Do you remember the first time I told you I loved you, Lucy?" She whispered to me and I swear I could see a little smile as she spoke. I said nothing. "You were still dating Jason at the time, but obviously I wasn't about to let that continue, being the selfish bitch that I am. Can you blame me for screaming at you that I loved you after watching Jason constantly draping himself over you in front of me?"

I winced slightly at the memory that Emma had just replayed for me. I shut my eyes for a few moments, letting out a deep breath as I opened them again.

"It's not as if it wasn't true. I did love you then and I still do." Emma's smirk was gone now. "Clearly a lot of things have changed between then and now, but that hasn't."

"I love you too, Emma." A chilling wind blew into our faces and causing her brightly dyed hair to whip around her face.

She gripped my hand tighter and pleaded to me, "then please come home" in a strangled voice. "I don't want us to be like this anymore."

"All I want is for you to be happy."

"Lucy, you make me happy." She cried. "Why can't you see that? Why else would I be hear telling you how much I love you and need you in my life if it wasn't true?"

"Stop it. Just stop it." I spat out. "You don't need me. I'm pathetic."

My hand was released and Emma took a few steps back, scraping back her hair in exasperation. "Don't you realise how important you are to me? There's nothing I want more than for this not to be happening and for me to be able to make you happy. I want to walk away from here, holding your hand, knowing that we are going to be ok." She paused for a moment. "That is exactly what will happen. We will go home and fix everything. I...I promise."

Taking my hand once again, Emma tugged me towards her gently. Looking at the love of my life begging for me to just walk away from everything with her flicked a switch in my brain. This beautiful, perfect girl wanted to show me how much she loved me. She really did love me. I guess I had never really thought about it properly. I knew that my feelings for Emma were the most important thing about me, but I hadn't really considered that what I did mattered in anyway to her. That must've been what lead us here. That I dismissed everything she said to me and never cared about how I affected her. Emma's tears were falling right now because of me. How could I do that to her? I'm meant to be there for her. I was causing her to suffer just as much as I was.

I had to turn myself around on the ledge and attempt to raise my leg over the metal fence. With Emma's hand still locked on mine, I managed to push myself over the bars that bordered on either side of the bridge and landed my feet back on the ground. Emma threw her arms around my neck and pulled my close to her, sobbing violently.

"Never do that to me again, you fucking idiot." She gasped in between loud bursts of tears.

My arms wrapped themselve around her waist and I felt strong once more. "I won't."

Leaning back to look at me, Emma moved a strand of hair out of my eyes. "Even if you had, I would've had to jump off that bridge with you. I mean it. Yo-"

I kissed her to prevent her from going on longer than needed. "I don't want to think about you doing that."

"Lucy, you still don't seem to realise this but. I love you more than anything. You are so beautiful and more than capable of doing anything and I will help you through anything. I promise you this."

After another minute of holding her close to me and another shared kiss, I felt assured that with Emma holding my hand I could go on because she had made a promise. A promise I know she would keep.
Sign up to rate and review this story