Categories > Original > Horror

The Shadow

by purplepeople667 0 reviews

The shadow is determined to find what he is looking for...and he will find it. You might even be what he is looking for.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Published: 2013-08-04 - 1629 words

0Unrated
The Shadow






Come on Brooke, there is no need to be scared

“Stop, I’m not Brooke! She is dead!”

How can you be dead when you are right here?

“Because I am not Brooke!”

There is no need to shout, I don’t want you to strain your beautiful voice

“Stop! You’re not real!”

The poor girl, scared out of her mind as she cowers in the corner of her room. She is trying her best to drain out the voice of the shadowed figure in front of her. She doesn’t know what she did wrong. Ever since her sister Brooke died 3 months ago, this shadow has been following her. She has tried to show so many people, but they never saw it. She now tries to ignore it, but it craves her attention. It craves Brooke’s attention.

“Please! Leave me alone!” she screams, jamming her ears closed as hard as she could. Tears cascading down her face at an alarming rate. She is scared, no, petrified. What does this thing want with her? What does it seek?

“Stella, honey what’s wrong?!” Her mother says with panic and worry lacing in her voice. She doesn’t know what is wrong with her daughter. Ever since her sister…..passed, she was never the same. She is always claiming that there is a shadow following her and talking to her, she barely sleeps or eats, and she is always talking to herself. She has tried getting her help from a therapist but after the first session she refused to go anymore. She is afraid she will have to follow the therapist’s advice.

Please don’t be like that I love you

“I DON’T KNOW WHO YOU ARE?!”

The shadow slowly approaches her, softly laying a hand on her knee. A black shadowy hand appears on her knee. She freezes, eyes growing wide with horror. Soon a faint sizzle can be heard in the room, and a faint smell of burning flesh builds. The poor girl’s face now becomes contorted with pain. She grabs the only thing close enough to her, her flat iron. She throws it threw the shadow just as her room door opens revealing her mother.The fumes immediately hit her mother’s nose as she crosses through the threshold of her room.

“My God Brooke, what have you done?!” Brooke is confused, why is her mother blaming her for something she didn’t do? She was merely defending herself. Her mother’s hand swiftly covers her nose and mouth to keep her from smelling the fumes and to keep her from gagging too much. She quickly rushes to her daughter’s side, careful not to touch her knee.

“Honey, give me the flat iron,” Brooke looks up at her mother. What is she talking about I threw th- no. Her eyes widen in terror. In her hand rested the flat iron, turned on the hottest temperature that it could go. She quickly drops the horrid object and her body begins to tremble. Poor girl, she has been deceived yet again by the fiendish shadow.

“NO! He did this!! I threw the flat iron at him, mother!! I DIDN’T DO THIS!!!” her eyes widen in panic and fear. Her own mother thinks she is crazy now. There is no one left who believes that there is an ounce of sanity in her body. Will they send her away? Will they lock her up and throw away the key, leaving her all alone with the horrid shadow. She begins to tug at her hair violently because she knows she is not crazy! THEY ARE THE INSANE ONES, poor girl, doomed to be drawn to insanity by a shadow of someone she has no clue belongs to, and she never will either.

Her mother stares sadly at her little girl. Why, why did this have to happen to her? She was such a cheerful child, so happy and content with life…..then her sister became depressed…and took her life away. Silent tears begin to cascade down the mother’s cheeks; she prays to god that her little girl will not soon come to this fate. Her mother knows what she must do to keep her little girl safe, she must send her away. She gives her baby girl a kiss on the forehead then swiftly exits her room, afraid that she will see her crying. Though, her daughter didn’t even acknowledge her absence because it was back.


Oh no…you burned you beautiful skin.

“SHUT UP!”

Hey don’t shout now, remember we don’t want to hurt your voice Brooke.

“I hate you!”

But, Brooke I love you…

“I am not Brooke! I have told you over and over you demented creature! I am not her! I don’t love you, nor will I ever!!! SO LEAVE ME ALONE!” She begins to pant. Hoping the after that rant the shadow will finally get the hint…little did she know that many before made the same mistake. Her poor mother doesn’t even know what is to become of her daughter.

“Yes…yes I can have her there by tonight…okay…will do…..okay thank you very much.” She hangs up the phone, fresh tears now adorning her face because she knows she must now send her daughter away…..someone has already shipped her off on the wrong train though. Her mother slowly begins to walk back to her daughter’s room to tell her the news.

Okay fine…you want to be left alone fine I will make sure no one ever bother you again

The shadow grew in length until it stretched along the ceiling. Stella’s eyes grew twice their size. The shadow swiftly advances toward her, hands out stretched grasping her throat roughly.Stella didn’t even have a chance to react to the attack. All she could do was struggle against its hold on her throat. The lights in the room begin to dim. The shadow slowly shrinks down so it can become eye to eye with the frightened girl.

What’s the matter? Didn’t you want to be left alone?

It whispers into her ear. It is now complete darkness in her room,yet she can still make out the shadow.

“Why –cough- are you—“ The grip on her throat tights like a python would its prey.

Hush my sweet, I am giving you the wish you have requested, neither me or anyone else will be able to bother you..

Her lungs being to burn as she becomes light headed, her hands now losing energy trying to grasp on to anything that will help her live. Her vision starts to fail her because it is becoming difficult to distinguish the shadow in the darkness of the room.

Goodbye my sweet little Brooke

She goes limp in the hands of the shadow, her blue eyes never to open again. She will never have to worry about shadows bothering her or any person either.
The shadow carefully looks at her.

Oh, Brooke look what you made me do -sigh- this is what you wished for….I can already feel you take a new form though.. I will find you my dear

The shadow leans down to press a soft kiss upon her cold, dead lips.
Stella’s mom enters the room and turn on the lights.

“Stella, why did you t- NO!!!” She rushes over to her daughters closet and stares up in horror of her little baby girl hanging from her closet rod by a jump rope. The mother reaches up to undo the knot at the top with trembling hands.

“No no no no, baby please come back to me! Please! STELLA PLEASE COME BACK TO MEEEE” She cradles her dead daughter’s body against her own, rocking her back and forth sobbing into Stella’s hair. This is like what happened with her older daughter Brooke all over again. The shadow smiles at the scene then slowly melts into the wall.
Poor Stella, died at such a young age, 15, her sister, 16, the poor sisters didn’t know what hit them, nor did the other 20 girls before them. The news is booming with the rise in suicides in 15 to 16 girls. All with the same qualities, black waist length hair, icy blue eyes, pale porcelain skin, all around 5”6. Police are beginning to think that it is a murder just making it look like the girls did it. They are correct, the poor shadow that fell in love 46 years ago with a poor girl named Brooke Greene. Brooke actually like the shadow because no one else would give her the time of day…though one day she hung herself and slit her wrist so she could be with her love. The shadow became frantic and searched desperately for years with no signs of her. When he was about to give up hope, he found her, yet it wasn’t her. The shadow didn’t know that. He just knew that she resembled Brooke so therefore she was Brooke…the shadow will continue to try to find his love, Searching desperately for the form in which she will have him in, and for her to remember him. He will never find that form because she is dead, and he is just is just a shadow. So, beware if you fit this description because you could very well be the shadow sweet Brooke…..

Oh Brooke, I have found you.



So what did you think!!?? I know that it might not be wonderful but it is not bad…..right?? Anyway this is my first horror story so rate and review! I loved to know what you guys think
Sign up to rate and review this story