Categories > Anime/Manga > Rurouni Kenshin > Rurouni Kenshin and the Lord of the Rings

Ch. 11: Flee to Helm's Deep

by John_the_visionary 0 reviews

After the arrival of two children at Edoras, Gandalf suggested that Theoden must fight. But the king refuses and decides to move his people to the fortress of Helm's Deep...

Category: Rurouni Kenshin - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Crossover, Drama - Characters: Aoshi, Kenshin, Saitou, Sanosuke - Published: 2006-08-05 - Updated: 2006-08-05 - 3165 words

0Unrated






Chapter 11: Abandon Edoras, flee to Helm's Deep







In the Hall, Eowyn and Kenshin tended to Eothain and Freda, getting the finest care they could have as they were eating their food. The children's mother, Morwen, had sent them to Edoras to tell them what has happened. The children explained everything to Eowyn. Gandalf sat beside Theoden at the throne, observing the children, while Aragorn, Sanosuke, and Gimli sat right across from them. Saito, Aoshi, and Legolas were standing almost next to each other, near the table.





"They had no warning," said Eowyn, "they were unarmed. Now the wildmen are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go... rick, cot, and tree."

"Where's mama?" asked Freda. Morwen had promised her that she'd be at Edoras, but she wasn't.

"Shh..." gestured Éowyn, as she covered Freda with a blanket.

"Don't worry, young one," interjected Kenshin softly, "if there's any hope, you will find your mother, that you will."

"...Okay, sir," said Freda.

"Thank you, my lord Kenshin," said Eowyn.





"This," gestured Gandalf towards the children, "is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven now by fear of Sauron. Ride out and meet him head on...

"...Draw him away from your women and children... " Gandalf added softly as he leaned forward and laid a hand on Théoden's chair.

Théoden looked very warily at it, as he remembered that he was controlled that way before.

"You must fight!" Gandalf advised firmly.

"King Theoden," Kenshin interjected, solemnly, "usually, I am against such actions as this. But in this case, Sir Gandalf is right, that he is. You have to defend your country against Saruman's Uruk-Hai."

Aragorn began, "you have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Éomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king."

"Yeah," interjected Sanosuke, with a confident smile, "if anyone's going to help you, it's certainly going to be Eomer."

"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now," objected Theoden as he stormed down from his throne.

"Théoden," spoke Kenshin in bewilderment...



Théoden paused a moment before he added solemnly, "Éomer cannot help us. Gandalf... Kenshin... I know what it is that you want of me. But I will not bring further death to my people."


Gandalf was baffled to hear this sort of refusal to hear his advice. But then, who could blame Théoden as he was under Saruman's influence so much... that he would not listen to any wizard's suggestions. Even Kenshin could deeply sympathize with the king's feelings.



"I will not risk open war," Théoden resolved firmly.

"I really hate to tell you this," interjected Saito, while smoking his cigarette, "but considering what's happening lately, I'm afraid I have to agree with the old man. Besides, Saruman doesn't care what you choose to do, Théoden..."

Saito puffed out a cloud of smoke before finishing, "...either way, he intends to destroy you, even as we speak."

"Saito is right, my lord," stated Aragorn as he took his pipe from his mouth, "open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not."

Théoden then faced Saito and Aragorn as he said angrily, "when last I looked, /Théoden/... not Aragorn nor Saito, was king of Rohan."





Aragorn and Saito felt a little unappreciated by the king's response. Gimli then ate his bread and drank his ale at the same time and burped suddenly.



"Ohh," muttered Sanosuke, "you're really disgusting, you know that, Gimli?"

Gimli merely ignored Sanosuke, not paying him any attention.

"Then what is the king's decision?" asked Gandalf as he moved towards Theoden.



Théoden stood there a few moments before making his decision...











The next day, the guards fanned out across Edoras to announce the king's decision:





"By order of the king, the city must empty. We make for the refuge of Helm's Deep. Do not burden yourselves with treasures. Take only what provisions you need."





With that, the people moved about, gathering their belongings and prepared to move. Helm's Deep was the chief fortress of Rohan, originally built by Gondor. It became their great refuge in times of war. Théoden believed that the fortress would be enough to last against Saruman's Uruks. Gandalf and the others start to proceed toward the stables. Aragorn and the others would go along with the pilgrimage to the fortress. But Gandalf would not join along, neither will Kenshin. He and the White Wizard will ride northwards to Éomer's band of Riders.



"Helm's Deep!" spat Gimli, "they flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight."

"Don't let this get to you, Gimli," said Saito, "I'm not particularly surprised. I've seen this type of behavior before in another town, when I was fighting another power-hungry maniac. The people are so weak against terrorism, their purpose becomes only to live and not to fight."

"You're right, Saito. And that's exactly my point. Who will defend them if not their king?"

When they entered the stables, Aragorn answered for Gimli, "he's only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past."

Kenshin interjected, "well let's hope that Helm's Deep will save the people of Rohan once again, that it does."

"It's most likely a vain hope, Kenshin," said Gandalf, as he, Kenshin, Aragorn, and Sanosuke walked together, over to Shadowfax's stall, "there is no way out of that ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he's leading them to safety. What they will get is a massacre."

"So it would appear," admitted Kenshin, "I sympathize with Théoden's feelings, that I do. But if what you say is true Sir Gandalf... then this action will put many people in danger, that it will."

"Yeah," interjected Sanosuke, "we pretty much get the idea, Kenshin. But if you and Gandalf succeed in finding Eomer's group, maybe it won't come to that."

"Let's all hope it doesn't come to that, Sano," said Aragorn.

"Indeed," Gandalf went on, "...Théoden has a strong will but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan. He will need you before the end, Aragorn. And you also, Sanosuke. The people of Rohan will need you both. The defenses have to hold."

"They will hold," Aragorn assured him firmly.

"Yeah," Sanosuke added his assurance, "you can count on me too, old man."

"As I am counting on you to hold onto Hope for me, Sano," Kenshin said, as he grabbed his reverse-blade sword lending it to Sanosuke.

"Hope?" queried Sanosuke.

"Yes," replied Kenshin, "it's the name of my reverse-blade sword that Miss Galadriel gave, that she did."

Sanosuke brightened as he took the sword, "man, that Galadriel can sure surprise you, doesn't she Kenshin?"

"Indeed," replied Kenshin.

"Time to go Kenshin," said Gandalf. Kenshin nodded.



Gandalf and Kenshin entered the stall and Gandalf stopped to stroke Shadowfax's side.

"Anything the matter, Sir Gandalf?" asked Kenshin.

Gandalf replied, "... the Grey Pilgrim... that's what they used to call me Kenshin. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now... I have no time."

"It kind of reminds me of what you said to Frodo that time while we were in Moria, that all we had to do was... what to do with the time that was given to us."



A pause... "Yes... yes I did, didn't I Kenshin?" said Gandalf, with a small smile.

Aragorn and Sanosuke stood to either side of the stall gate as Kenshin and Gandalf mounted onto Shadowfax. Aragorn opened the stall gate, ready to let them out. Kenshin held onto Gandalf firmly.

"With luck, our search will not be in vain," said Gandalf, "look to our coming. At first light on the fifth day... at dawn... look to the East."

"Got it, Sano?" asked Kenshin.

Sanosuke nodded.

"Go," Aragorn said.



Gandalf and Kenshin began to ride fast, out of the stable, taking Legolas, Aoshi, Saito, and Gimli by surprise, jumping back to let them pass. With no bridle reins or saddle in hand, Shadowfax rode swiftly out of Edoras, carrying Gandalf and Kenshin over the plains of Rohan, flying more swiftly over the ground than any other ordinary horse...











Meanwhile, Wormtongue rode with all speed to the smoking land of Isengard, where he hastily met with Saruman in order to report on the happenings at Edoras. Despite what has happened, Saruman was still not impressed with Gandalf's ascension to white, despite how powerful he was when he broke his hold over Théoden...



"Gandalf the White?" Saruman hissed incredulously and contemptuously while pacing in his chambers in Orthanc tower, "Gandalf the fool! Does he seek to humble me with his newfound piety?"

"There were seven, who followed the wizard," Wormtongue explained as he came up to Saruman, holding a cloth in his hand, "...an Elf, a Dwarf, and five men."

"Sniff You stink of horse!" Saruman notified Wormtongue with a grimaced expression as he sniffed Wormtongue. Feeling a little hurt, Wormtongue walked away from Saruman, so he wouldn't be able to smell his stink.

"These men," Saruman inquired as he turned to Wormtongue, "...were they from Gondor?"

"No," answered Wormtongue, "but four of them wore very strange clothes. One was the shortest of them. He had red hair and a cross-shaped scar on his left cheek. Kenshin Himura, he called himself."



Saruman lifted his eyebrows a little after hearing Kenshin's name, he remembered seeing him at Edoras when he still had control over Théoden.



Wormtongue went on, "the second was a rooster-headed ruffian who wore naught but a white coat, and pants... and his stomach was bandaged. The third had black hair over his eyes, which were ice blue, and had a solemn look on his face. The fourth wore a strange blue cloth from head to toe. He had the look of a wolf, but had a few strands of hair over his face and piercing eyes the same as this Himura...

"By the look of them... I would say they were... otherworldly. Could they be from this other world you hinted to me?"

Saruman grinned maliciously as he replied, "I believe so. It was more obvious to me the moment you mentioned the name, 'Kenshin Himura'. What about the fifth man?"

"He was from the north. One of the Dunedain Rangers, I thought he was. His cloth was poor...

"And yet," added Wormtongue as he lightly grasped his finger, "he bore... a strange ring. Two serpents with Emerald eyes. One devouring, the other... crowned with golden feathers."





Saruman immediately went into his reading room, researching the ring that his servant described. In one of the books... Saruman was able to find the aforementioned ring and gazed at it, with much disdain...



"...The Ring of Barahir," said Saruman, "so Gandalf Greyhame thinks he has found Isildur's heir, the lost king of Gondor. He is a fool. The line was broken years ago."

Saruman slammed the book shut and pushed it aside like it meant nothing.

"Gandalf's an even bigger fool," Saruman added as he stood up and walked to his main chamber, "to believe that the man named Himura can do anything."

"Himura is a man of fearless stature, my lord," said Wormtongue, "even more so that he is a man, not to be taken lightly. It appears that he has no weaknesses."

"Everyone has a weakness, my devious Wormtongue," sneered Saruman, as he sat down on his seat, "I know something that you don't. Himura has a past of which he fears so much. In the world that he comes from, he was a feared man, known as 'Battousai the Manslayer'."

"Battousai?" queried Wormtongue, with an amusement in his eyes, "what a striking name indeed."

Saruman went on, "he was feared by all he fought against and killed, until the sight of killing detested him and now believes that he can protect people and find atonement... by not killing ever again."

"Oh," Wormtongue said with a malicious smile growing upon his face, "this is interesting... most interesting indeed."



Both Saruman and Wormtongue laughed wickedly to Kenshin's resolution, as they believed that it was his weakness.



As they stopped laughing, Saruman said, grimly, "but none of it matters not. The world of men in both worlds shall fall. It will begin at Edoras."







The people of Edoras packed everything they needed for the journey to Helm's Deep. And many were beyond the gates of the city. In the Hall, Théoden prepared himself for the journey, as he was finishing putting his gloves on. Gamling was with the king.



"I am ready, Gamling," said Théoden, "bring my horse."



Gamling bowed at the king and went off to get Théoden's horse, Snowmane. As he was at the door...

Théoden turned to Gamling and said, "this is not a defeat. We will return."

Gamling bowed again, sharing the king's resolution, despite his somber expression that Théoden noted, and walked out of the king's chamber.

After he left, Théoden turned away from the door and said firmly to himself, "...we will return."



Unbeknownst to Théoden... Aoshi was right outside the king's quarters, beside the door, listening to Théoden's speech of confidence with a sad expression on his face.





At the main hall, people were bustling about, making ready for the trip. Éowyn knew what she needed most as she opened a chest in which lies a sword. She unsheathed it, ran her hand along the flat of it and took a battle stance. Suddenly...



She swiftly turned around as if it seemed like she knew what she was doing, as if she was taught to fight somehow. Eowyn took a few more practice swings. She swung her sword again...



And was met by Aragorn, who blocked her parry with his Elvish dagger. Éowyn maintained her stern expression while eyeing Aragorn.

"You have some skill with a blade," said an impressed Aragorn and then...



With a swift move, Éowyn swings her sword and renders Aragorn vulnerable, pointing the sword at his neck and chest, gaining the upper hand. Aragorn lowered his hand, conceding defeat by the hands of the Lady of Rohan.

"How's that for skill?" Éowyn asked quietly.

"Impressive," a voice came out. Éowyn and Aragorn turned to see Aoshi standing by a pillar.



"If you practice more," added Aoshi, "I'm sure you will become a great swordsperson, my lady Eowyn."

Éowyn paused a moment before she responded solemnly, "...thank you, my lord Aoshi."

Aoshi bowed his head a little.



Eowyn lowered her sword from Aragorn and went over to the chest to put the sword back in the sheath.

"Women of this country learned long ago: those without swords may still die upon them," she stated, while sheathing the blade, "I fear neither death nor pain."

"What do you fear, my lady?" asked Aragorn.

Eowyn faced Aragorn, solemnly answering, "...a cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them. And all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire."

'.../Although her manner of behavior is different,/' thought Aoshi, complimenting Eowyn, '.../she almost sounds like Misao./'

"...You are a daughter of kings... a shieldmaiden of Rohan," said Aragorn as he re-sheathed his dagger, "...I do not think that will be your fate."



Éowyn felt greatly relieved to hear that Aragorn saw her as she saw herself. When she spoke of what she feared, opening herself to attack, she saw not contempt or jest, but respect. Aragorn bowed his head and walked away, leaving Eowyn to gaze after him.



When Aoshi turns to leave, Eowyn called out, "Lord Aoshi."

"Yes."

"You said earlier that with more practice, I would become a great swordsperson. Do you think that will be my fate?"

"...I don't particularly know that subject, Éowyn. But I do know that your fate is whatever you choose it to be. Also, you may sound different, but you sound like a young girl I know named Misao. If you two ever met, I'm sure that you would get along very nicely."

Eowyn smiled at the thought that there's a girl who feels the same way as she does with her will to fight.

"...And," added Eowyn, "...does this girl mean a lot to you, Lord Aoshi?"

"In a way... yes," answered Aoshi silently, yet sadly, "...yes you could say that she means a great deal to me... just as I think that Aragorn means a great deal to you."



Éowyn gasped a little in shock to hear that Aoshi had guessed that she had a growing feeling for Aragorn. Aoshi walked away after that last remark. Éowyn gazed at him as he left, wondering even more about who these strange gentlemen were. Eowyn understood that these gentlemen were speaking from their hearts. They were both speaking the truth. And she smiled. She became even more curious about Kenshin's comrades from the other world... as she was about Aragorn.





Later, much later, Theoden, in the lead, began to guide his people to the great fortress of Helm's Deep. He looked back at Edoras one last time and at the people who have gathered for this long, perilous journey. Adamant in his decision, he turned away from the city and began the march to Helm's Deep...









Back at Isengard, Wormtongue informed Saruman about Théoden's next move, as he continued holding a cloth to his mouth...



"Théoden will not stay at Edoras, my lord," he told him, "it's vulnerable, he knows this. He will expect an attack on the city. They will flee to Helm's Deep, the great fortress of Rohan. It is a dangerous road to take through the mountains. They will be slow... they will have women... and children with them."

After hearing this, Saruman's eyebrows rise in response to this news, feeling that it was a perfect opportunity. He and Wormtongue strode through the depths of Isengard and stopped by an Orc, who was standing guard, near a pit.



"Send out your Warg riders," Saruman ordered, with a grim smile on his face.



Inside the pit behind the Orc, ferocious growls were heard and shadows of the Wargs were dancing within the pit. The Orc smiled with malicious anticipation as well as pleasure...











Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or Lord of the Rings. RK is the property of Nobuhiro Watsuki and Lord of the Rings is the property of Professor J. R. R. Tolkien.



A/n: yes, my reviewers, you're right, we're getting to the battle of Helm's deep, but I'm afraid it will be many chapters before it even gets posted. Anyway, I hoped you liked my sending Kenshin off with Gandalf to gather Eomer's group. I thought it would be a good idea to have Kenshin ride off with Gandalf while Sanosuke goes with Aragorn and them. But please read and review, and wish my mom, a happy birthday.
Sign up to rate and review this story