Categories > Original > Drama

Dignities Disappearance

by tmbfucks 0 reviews

On the 14th anniversary of her older brothers death, Onyx's life spirals out of control as her biggest dream and worst nightmare come to life. Will she survive?

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama,Horror - Published: 2013-08-20 - 1204 words

1Moving
I had an older brother. His name was Topaz. It's an unusual name, yes, but he was an unusual guy. Topaz passed away 14 years ago. I was only 2 at the time. He was 16. Now I’m 16, and lead a very different life to him. He died while getting a pack of cigarettes. He was a massive rebel. I'm pretty sure he only cared about me. He died because there was a massive gun fight there, and he was part of it. I remember my parents being sad about it, but not being all too surprised. I had no clue what was going on. I just remembered wanting my brother back. I was nagging them to take me to the shop so I could hug him. I realised pretty soon after that he wasn't going to be in my life anymore.

After that ordeal, my family moved to a new house, and that's where I’ve lived most of my life. About a year after Topaz died, mum left my dad to take care of me, and my younger sister, Ruby, who was a baby at the time. Whereas Topaz was very outgoing and social, I was secluded and hated going outdoors. It was kind of weird though. My dad's an actor, and now he's very famous. None of the press know about the whole Topaz situation. As far as they're concerned, Michael Bailey, the most famous actor in England, has 2 daughters. I wonder what would've happened if Topaz hadn't died that day, but I never will. It'll always remain a mystery. I just know that I miss him like crazy. After one of his manic days, he'd say that he bought me a lollipop and then give me my favourite flavour.

My name is Onyx, so, all of our names are gemstones. I don't know why. They just said they liked it. My dad plays some big hotshot detective on For Love or Money. The title sounds like some crappy soap opera, or reality show, but it's actually a classy drama. It's extremely popular worldwide. He's also been in loads of high grossing films, and he's cameoed in other shows. I like to believe Topaz would've liked dad's success. I think about him everyday. He promised me that one day he'd show me the world. I didn't know what that meant, being 2 at the time. I assumed he'd get me a magic carpet, and we'd pack a picnic and zoom over the earth one day. He would've packed all my favourite foods with loads of desserts, and we'd go to a zoo if we passed one. Of course, that wouldn't have happened, even if he did live. His smoking habit was killing him anyway, and I’m pretty sure he was into all sorts of drugs.

I remember him having pitch black hair that was slightly long and very fluffy, and green eyes that were slightly lighter than mine. He must've been good looking, because he had loads of girls that came by when mum and dad were out. Only now do I realise he was having one-night stands that lasted an hour before he shoved them off. Even though he did that with me around, he was still a very loving brother. Ruby wasn't around when he was, so I feel bad for her. He would've treated her like a princess too. His death was on the news, exactly 14 years ago today. That's why the house was so glum. Well, except for Ruby who didn't care, and was rushing around trying to finish her school project. Suddenly, dad spoke up.

“Um, I have to film a scene today. Sam's going to be there, obviously. Do you want to come and take your mind off things?” He offered. I shrugged my shoulders.

“I don't know.” I answered. He nodded his head.

“Just go.” Ruby exclaimed in excitement.

“Huh?” I asked.

“Just go. I need some alone time, and I have a friend coming over. You guys are always just embarrassing me. So please, just go.” She explained. I sighed and nodded my head.

“Fine. I'll go. Just, be gentle today, okay? I'm not in the mood for any of your stupid pestering.” I informed. She groaned.

“Deal.” She answered before rushing around again. I put on my shoes and grabbed my handbag and phone.

“Be good, sweetheart.” Dad said to Ruby.

“Always am. Hey, can you get some cereal when you're out. We're nearly done with my favourite.” Ruby asked.

“Which one is it?” Dad asked.

“Golden Nuggets.” She answered.

“Okay, sweetheart. See you later.” He told her before giving her a hug. Then, dad and I were on our way to the film studio, where we were instantly greeted by Sam Reed. He's dad's co-star and best friend. He's practically my uncle.

“Hey, Penina. I haven't seen you in a while.” He said excitedly.

“Yeah.” I agreed. I gave him a small hug. Sam's one of the few people who know about Topaz, and he's very understanding of the whole situation.

“So, it's your birthday coming up soon. If there's anything you want, let me know. I don't care how expensive or how weird, your wish is my command.” He said as we walked into the studio.

“Sam, I don't want anything.” I said for the billionth time in my life. He's always trying to buy me things, and I think it may be because of a mix of things. Pity, for one, and he doesn't have any kids of his own to buy things for. So, I’m the go to girl for the presents, as well as Ruby, who never declines one of his offers.

“Come on. You're going to be what? 17? That's the age for a car, don't you think?” He continued. I rolled my eyes.

“Sam, not today.” Dad said. Sam's not the best when it comes to getting the hint. He's lucky he's good at acting to be honest. Otherwise he'd be lucky to work in a fast food chain. Don't get me wrong, he's a nice guy. Just a tad dimwitted. But I’m glad he's in my life. He's someone who I know I can talk to if I can't speak to my dad about it. When Sam finally understood what today was, his eyes widened.

“Oh god, I'm so sorry!” He apologised. I shrugged.

“It's fine. Listen, I just want to go to relax somewhere. Is your dressing room free?” I asked dad. He nodded his head and gave me a set of keys.

“You know the knock.” He said. I grabbed the keys and made my way to his room. I just couldn't wait for this stupid day to be over. At least Ruby's having fun. She probably couldn't care less about it.

Hey everyone! My first original story on here with nothing but original characters and originality. Oh god. I'm acting really weird today, I'm sorry. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. If you liked it please let me know. It really motivates me to do more! Fun fact: if this was a movie, I'd cast Benedict Cumberbatch as Michael Bailey! Anyway, rate and review. I hope you enjoyed it! :D
Sign up to rate and review this story