Categories > Original > Romance > Like Candy

Whoppers

by quietliar 0 reviews

Whopper. the bitter candy that kids always try to get rid of at halloween but that have a sweet melty middle, but sadly usually end up in the trash.

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2013-08-28 - 1143 words

1Original
At school there was this one kid that everyone swore was a real thug. The rumors ranged from him being a hard core drug dealer to him being a murder suspect but that he was so good at what he did no one ever could prove his guilt.

These stories made all the other students fearful to be anywhere near him. If he was walking down the hall everyone would scatter and lower their heads praying he would not make them his next victim. This fear of him was unbiased as no one had ever actually seen him lay a finger on any living creature. He never spoke, he walked with a hunch, and if you actually were to look at him he would smile and not glare as everyone supposed.

That did not stop the fear though. They avoided him as quickly and swiftly as they could and I was just as guilty as everyone else. That is until one day I actually talked to him.

We were in the same Biology class. The teacher was assigning partners this time instead of us picking because my friend Natalia and I may have stopped paying attention to the project and caused a small explosion to occur.

As she called names I was just pleading to the universe that I wasn't the one who got stuck being alone. That was always his job. To be the one that no one wanted to be with. The one that was stuck by himself for every project.

My pleading worked but not in the way I was hoping it would. I had been placed with the school whopper. I was stuck with the unwanted candy that I, as so many others, desired to have nothing to do with.

The teacher made us go wit with our new partners so that we could discuss what each person would do. As I approached him I made eye contact with him for the first time ever. This alone startled me and I was very close to turning and running for my life when I saw that he was smiling at me. A pure genuine smile.

"Hello," he said softly and shyly as I took the typically empty seat next to him.

"Hi," I say back trying to hold back the shock and fear in my voice.

He sits there quietly head hung down. So I decide that it is safe to observe him and what I notice surprises me more than our initial greeting. His posture and aura suggest someone of an extremely timid nature. A gentle, sweet side that is missed by his hard looking exterior.

As we work on our project I realize that he is not as bad as everyone seems to believe. We talk and become close. But all that was soon ruined by the rumors about me. People were saying that I was being brainwashed by him so that he could use me as a shield. Others said that I was the real one to fear.

Now these bothered me not at all. I hadn't even thought that the rumors would reach him though because seldom did anyone speak around him. But they did eventually. He started to push me away thinking that would be better for me. He never thought of himself. He just thought it would make me happy and make my life easier.

It hurt and I tried to reach him again but as our project ended so did his trust, not just for me but for humanity. I noticed he walked with a sad gait and was even more reclusive than before. More rumors spread. They seemed to be getting worse and peoples fear began to turn to hate.

I stood up for him. I yelled at people who whispered bad things about him. I approached him but he shrugged me off. With each new rumor and each rejection of my friendship he grew worse.

He stopped showing up regularly. When he did he was covered in scars and bruises that no one knew the origin of.

One day I was yelling at these two jocks to leave him alone and stop telling lies because he looked bigger and stronger than them. I told them that their fear was cruel and inhuman. In retaliation they hit me. Their hits were weak compared to some other punches I had taken. Weak with fear and regret.

Although they were weak I was still left in a bloody heap. Countless people passed either not noticing me or too afraid to stop and help for fear my attacker was still lurking about. Eventually one person did stop. My dear Whopper. He saw me laying there and scooped me up. He carried me all the way to my house. He cleaned me up and helped me get to my room to change. He kept quiet for the most part, until he went to leave. That is when he said his last words to me "I am so sorry, I will make it all right".

I did not know then what he meant but I would soon find out. The next day at school I walked in to see two candle light vigils set up. They were for the two jocks that had almost killed me the day before. I thought that they were undeserving of such kindness considering what they did to me.

The vigils made me aggrivated but the worst part came when I heard what happened. In broad daylight my Whopper had walked up to those two and shot them point blank. Then he killed himself. The news broke my heart. How could they weep for two horrible people and scorn a kind-hearted person. If only they knew. I told people but no one would hear it. The jocks were innocent angels and he was a cruel disgusting monster.

Later that day I went over to his house. It seemed so sad and cold now. His mother ran out and hugged me. Without saying a word to me she handed me a letter and stalked back in to her home.

The letter read:

Please forgive me. I know you have been nothing but a friend to me and a guardian angel for me against the cruelty of others. I could never repay you enough. I hope you know how hard it was for me to push you away. You were my one, true friend. I may have even been in love with you. But that doesn't matter now. All that I care about is that you live on, happy, without even a small memory of me. In death I intend to do what I could not in life and watch over you and protect you. With all my love, Your Whopper.

Everyone is a candy and, like candy, no one should be thrown away.
Sign up to rate and review this story